You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

Hows the kidd coping with the cv spam?

9 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
9,380 posts
18,758 battles

Only know what I’ve heard; seems good. Maybe because DFAA?

Running C-hull Nicholas with that setup right now, and it tends to do what would be expected; maul T4s, and just get by against T6s.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,107 posts
4,337 battles

Yeah, I'm like Prophet running my C hull Farragut with an AA build (did it before the patch too, I like being a picket ship) and she deals with planes just fine. Those 5" guns are nasty as flak.

Members
951 posts
6,798 battles

I've played several games in the Kidd thus far and it's done very well. Averaging 16 planes shot down per match with a high of 33. This is running just BFT/AFT and non Manual AA, mind you. Just switching sectors as often as I can. Against T10 carriers it struggles unless you have DFAA activated AND the planes mistakenly fly through flak. 

I'd say it's one of the few DDs that can operate with relative freedom right now, but the perma-spotting issues are still very hard to overcome. 

That said, it's still a very strong DD and one that I always recommend. 

[GLF]
Members
830 posts
10,489 battles

I have not had great results at all with it full aa spec'd.   Kidd can get some planes, but its situational at best, and most of the time you take huge hits in the process.   SIms has performed a lot better than Kidd for me vs t8 planes and still gets good maneuverability to avoid incoming fire, AND doesnt have to deal with 2 tX carriers every match like kidd does.  

Couple that with the sims torp buffs and the sims is hands-down more enjoyable to play as an AA destroyer.  

• Cool 1

Members
15 posts
3,853 battles

I've been playing Kidd on and off for a while and almost all the time since the 0.8.0 patch. The first weekend Kidd was shredding planes like crazy.  My high that first weekend was like 44 I think and I saw another Kidd driver hit 51.  Dual CV game, not a tier X CV game.  The Tier X CVs, especially the Hakus were much harder to down, but even the first weekend, I'd average knock out quite a few planes, 15 or so maybe.

But, I think the CV drivers are adapting and learning how to dodge flak better.  Had some tier X CV games last night, very hard, 1-5 plane kills and was forced to change game play.  I smoke screened for the fleet on a capture the base game stayed just outside the smoke to spot but close to the fleet for AA support.  A lone DD probably can't capture a base while the CVs are still flying.  We ended up winning that game, but there was definitely more of a mutual support aspect to that game now, the DD is more vulnerable alone.  I ended up with the majority of the plane kills while their surviving CV was trying to kill us in his base.  There were 4 of us in his base and he took 2 of us out, almost all of us.

That's where the Kidd probably has an advantage of Sims.  Sims doesn't have Repair Party right?   I think I took nearly 30K damage in a that game.  Wouldn't have been there if not for the ability to repair damage.

Had another dual CV game right after that one, lower tier dual CVs, same tactic, capture the base.  A Cleveland, and my Kidd made it their cap.  By this time it was their two CVs about 15KM from their own base and a cruiser heading to our base, then our two CVs and those of us in their base cap.  Our Cleveland damaged both of their CVs which were grouped together and then he went down.  They were pounding Kidd which had no more smoke and no more DFAA and no more repair.  Again, took around 30K damage.  I went down just after our two CVs made it to their base cap.  They finished off the CVs and literally the CVs made the base capture.  Not sure I have seen that happen often.

And my plane kill count was down to 13-15 or so, don't recall but way lower than the first weekend.  The CV drivers were simply much better at dodging flak burst than they were the first couple of days.

So, Sims' AA may be pretty good, but I wonder if it can stay in the game as long if it can't repair damage.  But, if it's not constantly being forced into tier X CV matches, it may be more fun right now.  At that higher levels, the CV patch really causes you to change DD tactics.  Can't imagine what it would be like with a DD that has less AA defense than Kidd at tier 10.

Edited by Tango_Uniform_1

Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles

Hey

I took out my Kidd yesterday and lost 3K on the very first attack run due to rocket planes before entering a cap zone.  By the games end which I died due to nearly constant spotting, I did manage to shoot down 17 airplanes but my team lost.   I have played the Sims, too but when I got focused it was a short game and I shot down 4 at the time.  The biggest issue is the constant spotting and was even shot in my smoke by rocket planes, nice.  This game really sucks right now from a DD aspect since you still have to consider all of the radar still floating  around, BB's that are sitting even further back because their detection is now much worse and their AA is very questionable since AFT no longer gives a 20% range increase, cruisers get focused due to all the spotting also.  Yes, this game instantly became more un balanced than ever before.  Most aircraft I have shot down to date was 25 in my Salem, but I still died to wave after wave of aircraft torpedo aircraft and dive bombers; sometimes it was so busy trying to dodge, there was little time to shoot enemy ships.  Not to mention sometimes its hard to pick up the aircraft above you because of all  the flak bursts in the air, I was not getting any torpedo call-outs, and when DFAA was  started and ended, there were no call-outs either.  Then the massive gun booms were very annoying when they happened.  Worst patch ever.

Pete

[GLF]
Members
830 posts
10,489 battles

I had a 59 plane game with kidd.  Would have been 70-80 i think if I didnt have to dispose of a benson in the middle of my airplane killfest (he made me waste 2 heals).   BothCVs (Shokaku and Ranger) were 100% focused on taking me down as i chased them around the map.  Wave after wave after wave after wave.  In the end i just couldnt fend off 2-3k rocket attacks any longer.  I died with 2 Defensive fire consumables unused (one was even active when i died to that last 3k salvo).  

The 0.8.0.1 hotfix, the kidd is MUCH improved now.   I can't compare it to Sims in the hotfix because I couldnt get a CV game with my SIms yesterday. 

Edited by AnimaL21
  • Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,185 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, abyssofthetriffid said:

Im thinking of boosting my sims hows the kidd coping?

:cap_rambo::cap_popcorn:

She's awesome guy. here's my build that makes her a freaking "No Fly Zone". Yes, her concealment is 6.4K  but I use her to support BBs  AA cover and smoke. If there's another DD capping I will assist him/her. The below attachment are Skills, LR, MR, SR, Consumables and upgrades I use. My record of planes down between two Lexington CV captains is 37 planes. 

Captain Kidd skills.png

Kidds LR.png

Kidds MR.png

Kidds SR.png

Kidd Consumables.png

Kidd Upgrades.png

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon