You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

AA Skills...Any Theorycrafters Out There?

7 comments in this topic

Members
568 posts
4,372 battles

I haven't had the time to run multiple training sims to figure it out.  I'm wondering...out of the three skills (BFT, AFT, MAA)...which provides the most reliable/effective benefit?

BFT: +10% to continuous damage from AA guns.

AFT: +15% damage per second within the explosion radius of shells fired from medium- and long-range AA defenses.

MAA: +20% AA sector efficiency. -20% reinforcment delay.  (What exactly is "sector efficiency"?  Does it buff all damage both continuous and flak for the sector side?)

For the sake of a starting point, let's assume we're talking about a Worcester as the baseline as I understand different mounts (with more/less flak clouds) will skew the benefit.

Anyone with any theorycrafting experience in this matter is more than welcome to chime in...along with anyone with anecdotal examples... 

Edited by Uber_Ghost

Members
1,394 posts
3,718 battles
5 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

right now.... for MAX AAA efficiency, until its tweaked.....

Hide contents

...Play WOT

Hide contents

mfonbvQ.gif

:cap_popcorn:Thats cool :D .

As for skills i believe myself none are actually working right now just select none and leave captain ready for the future.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
716 posts
6,212 battles

Sector selector is retarded, feels like a placebo. Been messing around with AA "skills" but hardly seem worth it, particularly at high tier. Points are better spent on survivability, at least until there's more balancing done imo.

[INR]
Members
655 posts
3,719 battles
40 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

I haven't had the time to run multiple training sims to figure it out.  I'm wondering...out of the three skills (BFT, AFT, MAA)...which provides the most reliable/effective benefit?

BFT: +10% to continuous damage from AA guns.

AFT: +15% damage per second within the explosion radius of shells fired from medium- and long-range AA defenses.

MAA: +20% AA sector efficiency. -20% reinforcment delay.  (What exactly is "sector efficiency"?  Does it buff all damage both continuous and flak for the sector side?)

For the sake of a starting point, let's assume we're talking about a Worcester as the baseline as I understand different mounts (with more/less flak clouds) will skew the benefit.

Anyone with any theorycrafting experience in this matter is more than welcome to chime in...along with anyone with anecdotal examples... 

BFT is pointless before the hotfix. Continuous AA is not high enough for 10% to be worth 3 points unless you're using it for secondaries to begin with.

AFT is only useful against unskilled players as it relies too heavily on RNG placing flak in a good spread (or the CV messing up). Generally a pass from me.

MFAA is useful. +50% DPS is noticeable on a cruiser. If I'm not mistaken, "sector efficiency" affects continuous DPS. Not sure about flak, but it seems like CVs fly into flak more often when a sector is reinforced. Could be placebo. Could not.

However, I would argue that the two best AA skills are unlisted:  SI and JoaT.

Superintendent and Jack of All Trades boost the uptime of skills like Smoke Generator, Defensive AA Fire, and Fighters which have the greatest noticeable effect on anti-aircraft.

Edited by WuYixiang
  • Cool 1

Members
568 posts
4,372 battles
47 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

BFT is pointless before the hotfix. Continuous AA is not high enough for 10% to be worth 3 points unless you're using it for secondaries to begin with.

AFT is only useful against unskilled players as it relies too heavily on RNG placing flak in a good spread (or the CV messing up). Generally a pass from me.

MFAA is useful. +50% DPS is noticeable on a cruiser. If I'm not mistaken, "sector efficiency" affects continuous DPS. Not sure about flak, but it seems like CVs fly into flak more often when a sector is reinforced. Could be placebo. Could not.

However, I would argue that the two best AA skills are unlisted:  SI and JoaT.

Superintendent and Jack of All Trades boost the uptime of skills like Smoke Generator, Defensive AA Fire, and Fighters which have the greatest noticeable effect on anti-aircraft.

My anecdotal experience seems to confirm the superiority of MAA over the other two.  And, it is the only skill that one can manually impact.  The Wooster build is fairly tight with a requirement for IFHE so one would need to sacrifice AR for JOAT...which may not be optimal in the grand scheme of things.  My main question was the viability of increased flak bursts over the "sector efficiency" since the Wooster can spit out a multitude of clouds.  It would be nice if they gave us some more detail on this "efficiency" to settle it once and for all.  But, until Hak spam is hotfixed, your point on survivability is well taken.  You can't shoot down what never comes in range.   

[INR]
Members
655 posts
3,719 battles
3 hours ago, Uber_Ghost said:

My anecdotal experience seems to confirm the superiority of MAA over the other two.  And, it is the only skill that one can manually impact.  The Wooster build is fairly tight with a requirement for IFHE so one would need to sacrifice AR for JOAT...which may not be optimal in the grand scheme of things.  My main question was the viability of increased flak bursts over the "sector efficiency" since the Wooster can spit out a multitude of clouds.  It would be nice if they gave us some more detail on this "efficiency" to settle it once and for all.  But, until Hak spam is hotfixed, your point on survivability is well taken.  You can't shoot down what never comes in range.   

As it stands, this is my current build for anti-aircraft (using Aoba as an example). With the spotting system as it is, this allows me to stay somewhat viable in surface combat maintaining sufficient charges of DefAA and Fighters. Like I said earlier, I think BFT and AFT are complete wastes of skill points unless you're playing a brawling BB or a DD like Gearing or Harugumo.

shot-19_02.06_02_16.58-0589.thumb.jpg.9a27b5d53df8ab9de3c02012b09e4e3a.jpg

Alternatively, this build is even less optimized for anti-aircraft due to the lack of JoaT, but it provides additional screening against DDs and is honestly the build I'll likely run after 0.8.0 stabilizes:

shot-19_02.06_02_15.37-0426.thumb.jpg.14fabe89e8bd96428205912ef05f73f7.jpg

For now, though, I think I'll leave him completely blank and remain specialized for surface combat like so:

shot-19_02.06_02_20.45-0457.thumb.jpg.230b478a1d45ce2f51e0feb09831c6c3.jpg

Please keep in mind that all builds are tentative, especially since WG has announced a hotfix that may make BFT and AFT worth taking.

As an aside, I don't know that AR is worth it on Wooster since it's already got a ridiculous ROF as is. Then again, I hate AR on everything but slow reload, high HP ships (so BBs in general).

Edited by WuYixiang