You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Why are CV Captains so oblivious to what's going on?

38 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
362 posts
1,432 battles

The last couple of games I've been deleted by aircraft, meh it happens but I've spectated our CVs as usually they are the only survivors with the exception of a BB that's wandering around a dead part of the map on his own. 

Now the last 3 times I've done this a enemy cruiser or DD has discovered their little hiding place and is bearing down on them. Other spectators have told them to move or relocate but they just sit there, launching planes as shells and torps head their way. 

Even when I attacked a Essex earlier in my slow DD he just sat there, he hurt me with bombs and torps but I finished him, even though he could have escaped. 

Sometimes it makes me think these CVs are bots? 

Edited by LunchCutter

[HINON]
Members
10,130 posts

Most likely players new to cvs who are unaware. This was fairly common before the rework with low tier cvs especially.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,076 posts
7,714 battles
25 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

The last couple of games I've been deleted by aircraft, meh it happens but I've spectated our CVs as usually they are the only survivors with the exception of a BB that's wandering around a dead part of the map on his own. 

Now the last 3 times I've done this a enemy cruiser or DD has discovered their little hiding place and is bearing down on them. Other spectators have told them to move or relocate but they just sit there, launching planes as shells and torps head their way. 

Even when I attacked a Essex earlier in my slow DD he just sat there, he hurt me with bombs and torps but I finished him, even though he could have escaped. 

A lot more people still learning CV's than have mastered CV's.

For every screen shot of a 200k or 300k damage. Multiply that times hundreds of >50K damage

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
462 posts
10,909 battles

Also the issue is the CV can only be moved via way points on the map screen. 

CVs get stuck on islands and it is almost impossible to get off, particularly once you come under direct fire.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
29 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Even when I attacked a Essex earlier

How did you attack an Essex?  They're not in the game anymore...

• Cool 1

[ADAPT]
Members
929 posts
14,487 battles

CV gameplay is different now..You either control CV or planes..Cant control both except in minimap to control CV. Most CV are the last survival even before the update 0.8. Sometimes i just ignore my own CV being attacked , hoping it survive and concentrate and flying planes. Flying planes and attack enemy really a good part that come with this rework, but some need a little tweak here and there.

Im not fan of CV before but now it really fun to play. Its like World of Warplane in Warships. This is something new, player like me need something different to keep stay in this game. Just my thought.

• Cool 1

Members
2,564 posts
4,254 battles
33 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

The auto pilot. 

There is some problem with a combination of auto pilot + Collision avoidance. It had put me on the front lines multiple times or tried reversing instead. 

Such as setting a way point off to Port then another behind the CV. Initiating a portward u turn. Only to have the auto pilot turn to Port, reach the first waypoint, turn to starboard, slow down to align itself then reverse to the second waypoint

Members
30 posts
14,684 battles

Had a random a few hours ago with 4 CVs. Our Midway sunk 7 ships with Kraken, Witherer, Arsonist, and 3 other achievements which I can't recall. He /she could have easily sunk more. The enemy Hakus x2 were stealth torping ala iChase strat and even announced that at the start of the match. The influence these ships had on the game made it a total crap shoot for everyone else. We were either trying to hide or struggling to get in a few shots before the CVs destroyed the targets. Grouping up for an AA bubble is laughable. Face Haku x2 and see how that strat works for you. If this is the game that was intended via 8.0 ...guess there will only be CV captains out there waiting to que soon.

Beta Testers
1,493 posts
7,345 battles
3 minutes ago, Iron_Myke said:

Had a random a few hours ago with 4 CVs. Our Midway sunk 7 ships with Kraken, Witherer, Arsonist, and 3 other achievements which I can't recall. He /she could have easily sunk more. The enemy Hakus x2 were stealth torping ala iChase strat and even announced that at the start of the match. The influence these ships had on the game made it a total crap shoot for everyone else. We were either trying to hide or struggling to get in a few shots before the CVs destroyed the targets. Grouping up for an AA bubble is laughable. Face Haku x2 and see how that strat works for you. If this is the game that was intended via 8.0 ...guess there will only be CV captains out there waiting to que soon.

There's hotfix coming soon that addresses that.  The meat of it is direct nerfs to Hak, flooding chance on TB dropped torps and weaking the IJN trait of being able to aim under while and while maneuvering.  Hopefully that'll kill off the insane tier 10 carry potential of CVs.

Members
30 posts
14,684 battles

One problem. The planes have dropped all their torps before even being spotted then "F" keyed back. Maneuvers while under fire won't prevent any of this if that is what you are referring to.

Edited by Iron_Myke
additional information

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,519 posts
10,213 battles

The new system does isolate them from what is going on around them and even if they do plot a course away the damned autopilot will probably have the ship travel in reverse. I have lost several CV's because of that, set a new course long before they will be able to see you and you come back from a strike and the moron at the wheel is driving backwards so instead of being far away and unseen you are much closer and dead.

You can test this in a training room. Set an autopilot course that has a very large course change at a way point.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,888 posts
12,189 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

And this friends, is why hybrid vessels such as the Tone having manual aircraft control is a bad idea.

[RLGN]
Members
9,442 posts
18,870 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The new system does isolate them from what is going on around them and even if they do plot a course away the damned autopilot will probably have the ship travel in reverse. I have lost several CV's because of that, set a new course long before they will be able to see you and you come back from a strike and the moron at the wheel is driving backwards so instead of being far away and unseen you are much closer and dead.

So true...

’How come I’m not moving?’

Complete attack, F key.

Carrier going in reverse...

‘WUT!?! BLOODY AUTOILOT!!!’

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,885 posts

Play a carrier, then you will understand.

Gone are the gods eye view of the map and moving planes all over the map.

Now they are concentrating on dodging flak, lining up attacks and doing it all over again with no down time.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,174 posts
8,255 battles

Most of my deletions come from being spotted while on the move (still at T4).   I'll even put her in a circle pattern until the board starts to pan out.   The maps are too small to go with the group you spawn with.    I try to keep it close to the area I'm working on.   But I've also had DDs come around the opposite flank to sink me.

Then, there's the steering.   As in you cannot while the planes are in the air.    If I see them bearing down, I can always go to map view, make a quick few multi-waypoints on the map to make it wiggle a little.

And there are times a DD has launched torps, and I've had to F-key to get back to my deck to get manual control.

Would love to see a CTRL-WASD or some key combination that'd let you toggle back to steering your CV.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,545 posts
5,089 battles
49 minutes ago, SansPeur said:

CVs get stuck on islands and it is almost impossible to get off, particularly once you come under direct fire.

This...  it sucks controlling CVs and if you choose the wrong path you are pretty much screwed

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 1

[PT]
Members
362 posts
1,432 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

How did you attack an Essex?  They're not in the game anymore...

It was a Lexington, they all look the same to me.. 

[1STBG]
Members
1,163 posts
4,993 battles
1 hour ago, SansPeur said:

You can manually drive your CV.  You have to do it before you launch a squadron so it cuts into your DPM,  but it's helpful if you get stuck or the CV is running in reverse after clicking a waypoint. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,084 posts

The new controls drastically decrease the carrier's ability to check or observe its own surroundings, and the ability to steer the carrier with any precision. 

Another part of why the rework is bad.

[PT]
Members
362 posts
1,432 battles

I remember trying to ram one before patch 8.0 came out in my 95% dead and sinking North Carolina, the CV skilfully dodged me and escaped, can't see that happening now. 

[SIM]
Members
3,043 posts
4,848 battles

I don’t know, why do bot caliber BB and cruiser players ignore AA cruisers that are out in the open, then get chippy when they didn’t get the air support that they felt entitled to? Could it be that this is a casual video game and not an actual competitive game environment?

[WOLF2]
Members
2,380 posts
14,246 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

It's hard to hear all the screaming from 30,000 ft. 

But I'm pretty sure they can see little people on fire running around the decks 

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
462 posts
10,909 battles
10 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You can manually drive your CV.  You have to do it before you launch a squadron so it cuts into your DPM,  but it's helpful if you get stuck or the CV is running in reverse after clicking a waypoint. 

The problem is I set a way point 2km from an island, coming in at an angle so the CV will be parallel and south of the rocks.

I come back from a strike and the CV has collided with the island, bow in, north of the island.

You can try and WASD drive the boat once you have become stuck, but it takes far too long and there is no guarantee the CV get unstuck.  You are better off for the team to just keep flying and damaging reds.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,881 posts
2,681 battles

I've been playing low tier CVs 4/6, a lot since patch -  getting killed by DDs most of the time if I am destroyed in a game.  The AI control sucks.. perma stuck on an islands, AI reverses carrier to get to location in lieu of actually driving to it in forward, .. or another new one I've found in last couple of nights perma stuck on map edge..   AI ship control was consistent gripe in testing and it looks like it was not addressed.   Add to that most teams now Lemming train/support,  each other.. AKA  death ball...  Team moves off to one side of map and AI control failures leaves CVs behind on island heavy maps.   Become meat for DDs, as at Tier 4 & 6 planes have a difficult time defending themselves.  I've seen it game after game.  I doubt its an issue at T8 & T10 because the planes are powerful enough to dissuade DDs if focused.  I assume this will be some kind of balancing issue that gets worked out?  But it certainly appears to me that as low tier meta gets lined out DDs are feasting on CVs.          

Members
631 posts
11 battles
19 minutes ago, SansPeur said:

The problem is I set a way point 2km from an island, coming in at an angle so the CV will be parallel and south of the rocks.

I come back from a strike and the CV has collided with the island, bow in, north of the island.

You can try and WASD drive the boat once you have become stuck, but it takes far too long and there is no guarantee the CV get unstuck.  You are better off for the team to just keep flying and damaging reds.

The worst is getting stuck on the out of bounds line, listening to that grind for 4 minutes is enough to drive one crazy.