Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

History repeats again..and again...and again

53 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,205 posts
13,787 battles

When I first started this game, I remember the boards were very active about OP this...nerf this...nerf that...buff this buff that. The sky is falling.  yada yada.  I was a newbie, learning the game in the low tiers.  All this flap going on in the  high tiers.  It will be a year before I get there, I think.  By the time I get there, everything will change anyway.  And sure enough, it did!  By the time I got my first T10, all the "woe is me" threads from a year before were ALL GONE!!!!  Of course, there were a host of new "woe is me" threads about something else, some of which I understood...a little bit.  But over time, those went away...then new one's emerged.

I say this to make a point.  After three years of play, there seems to be a certain number of "woe is me"  issues.  Some are based around new mechanics or new metas.  The issues are different, but the tune is the same.  Game is ruined.  I quit.  OP this OP that.  Nerf this nerf that.  Seriously, I could probably go back every year for the past three years, pick any topic, change the subject...keep the adjectives, adverbs, and conclusions, and have ready made posts of the end of the world.

Now...here I am...learning CVs like a newbie.  Waaaay down in T4.  T10 perhaps a year out.  I hear a lot of commotion.  A lot of dire warnings.  Meh....I'll be there in  a year, and all this we're talking about today will be an old memory.  But I'm sure, when i do get there...we will have some other "woe is me" issue.  The game is over.  I quit.  OP this.  OP that.  Nerf this Buff that.

That's not to say the woe isn't a concern.  I really do appreciate the many players with deep knowledge of the game doing their best to work the bugs out.  That's the way it works.  Keep up the good work WG.  Keep up the good work all the contributors to the game, forums, and testing.  And for the masses that just love to play it.  Enjoy it.  If it's not enjoyable, I understand those folks too.  But one thing is pretty certain.  WOWS will not remain static.  It's never been static.  Change has ALWAYS been part of the game.  And i suspect it always will be.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 19
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

Members
1,359 posts
8,689 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

That's not to say the woe isn't a concern.  I really do appreciate the many players with deep knowledge of the game doing their best to work the bugs out.  That's the way it works.  Keep up the good work WG.  Keep up the good work all the contributors to the game, forums, and testing.  And for the masses that just love to play it.  Enjoy it.  If it's not enjoyable, I understand those folks too.  But one thing is pretty certain.  WOWS will not remain static.  It's never been static.  Change has ALWAYS been part of the game.  And i suspect it always.

Been gaming solidly for nearly 3 decades now. My exact sentiments. 

All will be well. If not, well so be it.  

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,598 posts
2,617 battles

I've made the mistake of blindly trusting wargaming. I figure a very successful Russian company can run a game better than some moron with a post button for an online community. If they wanna rework CVs, it obviously is for the better. Sire some kinks need worked out, but for the most part people overreact. 

History does repeat itself. It's still a great game with plenty of nay-sayers

• Cool 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
4,981 battles

now it's more historically accurate and we are mad for this.

VoiPdpO.jpg

• Cool 3

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,383 posts
13,915 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

Same as it ever was - Talking Heads

If you are going to go there, go there and never look back

See the source image

[BIER]
Members
30 posts
4,093 battles
7 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

When I first started this game, I remember the boards were very active about OP this...nerf this...nerf that...buff this buff that. The sky is falling.  yada yada.  I was a newbie, learning the game in the low tiers.  All this flap going on in the  high tiers.  It will be a year before I get there, I think.  By the time I get there, everything will change anyway.  And sure enough, it did!  By the time I got my first T10, all the "woe is me" threads from a year before were ALL GONE!!!!  Of course, there were a host of new "woe is me" threads about something else, some of which I understood...a little bit.  But over time, those went away...then new one's emerged.

I say this to make a point.  After three years of play, there seems to be a certain number of "woe is me"  issues.  Some are based around new mechanics or new metas.  The issues are different, but the tune is the same.  Game is ruined.  I quit.  OP this OP that.  Nerf this nerf that.  Seriously, I could probably go back every year for the past three years, pick any topic, change the subject...keep the adjectives, adverbs, and conclusions, and have ready made posts of the end of the world.

Now...here I am...learning CVs like a newbie.  Waaaay down in T4.  T10 perhaps a year out.  I hear a lot of commotion.  A lot of dire warnings.  Meh....I'll be there in  a year, and all this we're talking about today will be an old memory.  But I'm sure, when i do get there...we will have some other "woe is me" issue.  The game is over.  I quit.  OP this.  OP that.  Nerf this Buff that.

That's not to say the woe isn't a concern.  I really do appreciate the many players with deep knowledge of the game doing their best to work the bugs out.  That's the way it works.  Keep up the good work WG.  Keep up the good work all the contributors to the game, forums, and testing.  And for the masses that just love to play it.  Enjoy it.  If it's not enjoyable, I understand those folks too.  But one thing is pretty certain.  WOWS will not remain static.  It's never been static.  Change has ALWAYS been part of the game.  And i suspect it always will be.

Two types of people commenting on this CV rework. Those who hate how it changed gameplay for everyone. And those, you, that just throw up their hands and say it is what it is....

But there could have been a different type of reception. One where people loved it it. Shouted for all to hear that it really enhanced the game. But unfortunately that did not happen. So we are left averaging the two existing types. Ones that hate it and ones that don't care. 

The sum of the equation is not good. 

What does it mean when the best response is people saying just accept it...

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,359 posts
8,689 battles
2 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

Two types of people commenting on this CV rework. Those who hate how it changed gameplay for everyone. And those, you, that just throw up their hands and say it is what it is....

But there could have been a different type of reception. One where people loved it it. Shouted for all to hear that it really enhanced the game. But unfortunately that did not happen. So we are left averaging the two existing types. Ones that hate it and ones that don't care. 

The sum of the equation is not good. 

What does it mean when the best response is people saying just accept it...

That isnt the "best" the response (whatever that means), nor is it the response that Soshi is giving here. The last paragraph makes that clear. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,457 posts
9,395 battles

The sky ain't falling til it's fallen.

• Funny 1

[H_]
Members
1,222 posts

If we are talking about Santayana's History Repeats itself, then yes, WG is taking a page from WoTs and using that page to change WoWs battlespace to improve the revenue stream....

That's what 8.0 does.  What WG may have under estimated, is that Culture trumps process 100% of the time.  In NA, culture is very slow to change.......very slow.  And, WG wants it now !  The game is going "tilt" because there seems to be a misapprehension of what NA was going to react to in 8.0......  Radical change creates radical resistance.    Many, have walked away.  Many more will as well......  There is no other choice we are given:  they don't talk to us; they don't even consider that their value proposition says WW2 and yet, it's become an arcade FPS FFA with ships'; for many, the entire "history element" is gone as our host "creates ships" from conjecture.....etc.

Cultural tolerance is low right now....  The radar meta was too much and now, the rest of the game can't react fast enough to accept even minor changes, let alone what 8.0 has done......  OP, you are correct, there is a cycle......that doesn't make what they have done or what they are trying to do, smart or wise....  And, many of us have the time and funds to do a great  many other things; and, the only thing keeping us here was the WW2 LOS naval warfare with roles were the glue that held together battle plans since there wasn't instantaneous communications and roles defined that era....they are gone and, we are slowly leaving....even though, we like this game...............

• Cool 1

[MIA-E]
Members
2,706 posts
7,586 battles
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

If we are talking about Santayana's History Repeats itself, then yes, WG is taking a page from WoTs and using that page to change WoWs battlespace to improve the revenue stream....

That's what 8.0 does.  What WG may have under estimated, is that Culture trumps process 100% of the time.  In NA, culture is very slow to change.......very slow.  And, WG wants it now !  The game is going "tilt" because there seems to be a misapprehension of what NA was going to react to in 8.0......  Radical change creates radical resistance.    Many, have walked away.  Many more will as well......  There is no other choice we are given:  they don't talk to us; they don't even consider that their value proposition says WW2 and yet, it's become an arcade FPS FFA with ships'; for many, the entire "history element" is gone as our host "creates ships" from conjecture.....etc.

Cultural tolerance is low right now....  The radar meta was too much and now, the rest of the game can't react fast enough to accept even minor changes, let alone what 8.0 has done......  OP, you are correct, there is a cycle......that doesn't make what they have done or what they are trying to do, smart or wise....  And, many of us have the time and funds to do a great  many other things; and, the only thing keeping us here was the WW2 LOS naval warfare with roles were the glue that held together battle plans since there wasn't instantaneous communications and roles defined that era....they are gone and, we are slowly leaving....even though, we like this game...............

Alternatively, people like the game less now.

I don't mind change. But just as if someone tried making me brownies with, uh, organic brown stuff in them... I'm not sure that disliking that would be me disliking change.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,163 posts
8,240 battles
1 hour ago, Mister_Tanman said:

I kinda say that for T4 - doing the grind from scratch.

Good to learn the mechanics.  CVs don't influence the match that much, and little salt for screwing up.

From game play at mid-levels and facing T6 and T8 CVs, I haven't been too threatened by them (not sailing DDs at this time, so no direct exposure with CVs at that class).

Other than T10 CVs and DD fragility, is there really a problem?     

Edited by DiddleDum

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,557 posts
1,053 battles

They need to make AA great again. 

• Funny 1

[WS]
Beta Testers
753 posts
6,234 battles

OP is generally right, but I have to say this update and change is unique in its scale and impact across many tiers and overall game-play in ship types.  I've not seen a radical change of this scale thus far in WoWS and such an overall negative assessment by a wide range of players.

A recent Flamu post in youtube on a Jingles video says it all:

Calling it a "rough week" for WoWS is like calling the German WW2 Invasion into Russia during winter a rough walk out into the countryside.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,775 posts
12,155 battles
40 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Alternatively, people like the game less now.

I don't mind change. But just as if someone tried making me brownies with, uh, organic brown stuff in them... I'm not sure that disliking that would be me disliking change.

This.  Change is good, as long as it is good change.  Bad change is bad.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles

Hey, you remember way back, like 4-5 days ago, and everyone had their knickers in a bunch about DDs being unplayable all of a sudden, and then it turned out that DDs weren't unplayable, even in the slightest, and then no one was talking about DDs being unplayable? Oh man, those were good times. Gooooood tiiiiimes.

• Funny 1

Members
40 posts
4,852 battles

They did the same to the 2 other games they made...there was a time World of WarPlanes had a healthy fan base, everyone was happy, guess what happened they did the same crap there as they did here and you can guess the result, I was a very early alpha tester on WoWP and went through the cycle right til WGing decided to change it even though many regulars told them no to change it and they did it anyway.    Right now WOWP has an average of 150-500 players max on any given day, I remember the days it was a healthy 1500-2000 players on... again says it all. WG will be happy to take your money but when it comes to listening to you they don't give 2 shts

[PSP]
Members
7,956 posts
10,499 battles
3 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

VoiPdpO.jpg

My great uncle, who flew bombers in WWII, would tell us kids stories about the flak he encountered over Germany. Without pictures I never realized just how many guns were shooting at him on his bombing missions.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles
51 minutes ago, legozer said:

Hey, you remember way back, like 4-5 days ago, and everyone had their knickers in a bunch about DDs being unplayable all of a sudden, and then it turned out that DDs weren't unplayable, even in the slightest, and then no one was talking about DDs being unplayable? Oh man, those were good times. Gooooood tiiiiimes.

Whether destroyers were unplayable was largely a subjective opinion. The reason that ppl stopped writing forum posts about how bad things were for DDs is becaused WG promised a hotfix and to address the DD issues.

Turns out that, while you may not think the complaints had validity, apparently the devs did.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
457 posts
3,148 battles
4 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

VoiPdpO.jpg

This was land based. It was the 8th making a drive into germany.......

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
4 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Whether destroyers were unplayable was largely a subjective opinion. The reason that ppl stopped writing forum posts about how bad things were for DDs is becaused WG promised a hotfix and to address the DD issues.

Turns out that, while you may not think the complaints had validity, apparently the devs did.

Show me the quote in the DevBlog that addressed the unplayability of DDs and how the hotfix would solve that.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

ALSO, while we're looking for things that never happened, show me one instance in the history of gaming forums where a developer's promise to address a specific issue stopped cold, in it's tracks, a tidal wave of idiotic complaints and pearl clutching.

See, what happened was, people played DDs and, HOLY SMOKE SCREENS! they were actually just as playable as ever, and then they stopped cringing and whinging over a relative non-issue. They didn't read a DevBlog and then decide that they were happy again, all of a sudden, with the way the world would return to normal. You'd have to actually be certifiably insane to believe that.

Members
180 posts
2,725 battles
9 minutes ago, Toxic_Masculinity said:

This was land based. It was the 8th making a drive into germany.......

image.thumb.png.17d62e241a560c0233cf092cce39de56.png

...and your point?

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this