Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

Q. for those playing CV in Co-op games

17 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
348 posts
6,557 battles

Just tried the new CV in my shiny new Langley, I must say I like playing CV this way much more than the previous method.  When using torpedo planes and they're closing in on a battleship, I can't help telling myself "Use the Force Luke, Use the Force!".  Pretty awesome game play. :cap_haloween:

Have a few questions though:

1.  The torpedo squadron drops a miserable 1 (ONE!) torpedo per attack run.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

2.  Which plane type do you launch first?  Do you launch the rocket planes first and try to rocket as many ships as possible and then follow up with bombs and torps?

3.  Are the flak cloud random or does the AI try to predict where your planes will be and lead their shot?  It is hard to tell but I did noticed that if I fly straight in on an attack run, I run into more flak, vs doing a banking style attack.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,327 posts
6,127 battles

1: all T4 CVs drop one torp per run, you get more later.

2: rockets, you use them to attack DDs and cruisers. 

3: The AI tries to predict where you are going and leads the shot, dodge a bit and you'll see less flack appear right in front of you.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,016 battles
2 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

Just tried the new CV in my shiny new Langley, I must say I like playing CV this way much more than the previous method.  When using torpedo planes and they're closing in on a battleship, I can't help telling myself "Use the Force Luke, Use the Force!".  Pretty awesome game play. :cap_haloween:

Have a few questions though:

1.  The torpedo squadron drops a miserable 1 (ONE!) torpedo per attack run.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

2.  Which plane type do you launch first?  Do you launch the rocket planes first and try to rocket as many ships as possible and then follow up with bombs and torps?

3.  Are the flak cloud random or does the AI try to predict where your planes will be and lead their shot?  It is hard to tell but I did noticed that if I fly straight in on an attack run, I run into more flak, vs doing a banking style attack.

1.) higher tiers drop more torps per run

2.) rockets to go after DD and scout cuz they are faster

3.) flak hits you if you fly straight without changing speeds 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,201 posts
13,784 battles

1.  Just One.

2.  Rockets first.  Good practice for  Randoms.

3.  Flak is predictive.  Gotta weave and adjust throttle.  Again, good practice for Randoms.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[PQUOD]
Members
1,032 posts
7,618 battles

I started out in Coop. Never could get much damage. Old dog new tricks I suppose. Decided to focus on Ranked. Want to get the Black and a #1 rank if I can. Once that is over. Start focusing on CV play. Decided there is going to be some more tweaks coming. Just wait till it irons itself out, however it ends up. Besides, Ranked ends the last week of February. CV's will be here indefinitely I suppose.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,032 posts
7,618 battles
15 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

3.  Flak is predictive.  Gotta weave and adjust throttle.  Again, good practice for Randoms

The flak and torpedo drops is what I'm struggling with. 

The flak doesn't seem like it matters what I do I get wiped. I have read that just getting uptiered has a lot to do with it. If it's a ship of lower tier you could just about fly lazy circles over the ship the whole game and not get bothered too much. If it is a higher tier ship, a DD could wipe your planes out before you even get to use your ordinances. If equal tier, I suppose RNG takes over.

[WOLF5]
Members
348 posts
6,557 battles
14 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@bigbearbeear this change to CV play is an extremely lame excuse for how a CV would attack.

Hey bored vote boo boo! So you cant handle the truth! Well too bad Bucko!

That wasn't me man, but I do like this CV style of combat better.  The only downside is the much lower alpha damage to ships but I guess you can always come back and shoot it over and over again.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
4,512 battles

2. In Co-Op, I've been advised to just run torpedo bombers at BBs.  At first I was trying to mix it up, but that lost my team a couple of games.  Getting the lead right on the TBs is a pretty crucial skill to have, and I don't want to subject other players to unnecessary Co-Op losses, so I've gone with it and have improved significantly.  And not lost a Co-Op yet.

Like you, I'm still curious how to go about prosecuting a CV game, but I'm going to try and hone my rocket and DB skills in Training Room.

Also, for dodging flak it's useful on approaches (prior to attack run) to use your mouse to make small turns, or long shallow banking turns.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
3,414 posts
3,991 battles

1. I have only Hosho and Ryujo, and Ryujo drops two torpedoes per attack run. So... there's that, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

2. Rockets first, always. They're fastest, so you can get into a position faster. Out running any DD's in your team and taking all the Spotting ribbons has never been so fun, lel. You can do it in other two types of planes, but the rocket planes are fastest for the job. :Smile_teethhappy:

3. Always zig-zag. I think the flaks have their own formula and calculations on when and where to puff out the clouds, but to me it looks like they're always trying to put them directly in your path. So flying straight means kissing those flak clouds very easily. So fly like a drunken man, always, lul. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,389 battles

@bigbearbeear No CV player should have to make thorn prick attacks over and over again since any other ship can sink any other ship with one artillery or torpedo salvo.

[PVE]
Members
12,220 posts
8,459 battles
1 hour ago, bigbearbeear said:

I keep repeating, "Stay on target. Stay on target."  Maybe, that is why I haven't hit many torps yet. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF2]
Members
1,160 posts
8,217 battles
15 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I keep repeating, "Stay on target. Stay on target."  Maybe, that is why I haven't hit many torps yet. :Smile_teethhappy:

Me?     I'm this guy.....

Porkins.thumb.jpg.90739f91aa0490da330b1dfda98e155a.jpg

[PVE]
Members
12,220 posts
8,459 battles
4 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

Me?     I'm this guy.....

Porkins.thumb.jpg.90739f91aa0490da330b1dfda98e155a.jpg

:Smile_teethhappy: Porkins, not porkins

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
3,414 posts
3,991 battles

Personally for me, I found that the key to landing torps is to start the attack run just early enough for the aiming "wedge" to be shrunken all the way down a bit of a distance from the target, thus you have room and time to lead the target properly. Not too far out and early, else you'll miss most likely, but just enough distance for that extra few seconds to actually aim. And depending on the speed of your target, you may have to lead more, or lead less. Because bots are torpedobeat masters (lol) I wouldn't  bother with torps on bot DD's, but for every other type of ships, torps can be pretty good, I say.

The dive bombs, on the other hand, are still quite difficult for me.

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,549 posts
1,049 battles

I think they may be removing flak but defiantly will be nerfing them and buffing AA dps at the hot fix patch looking at the Dev notes. 

[WOLF5]
Members
348 posts
6,557 battles
5 hours ago, alex08060 said:

I think they may be removing flak but defiantly will be nerfing them and buffing AA dps at the hot fix patch looking at the Dev notes. 

I hope they increase the damage output of the planes too.  I find it really hard to kill ships even after repeated hits with rockets, bombs and torpedoes.  

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,549 posts
1,049 battles

Nothing no the devs note in that so get gud. 

Sign in to follow this