iKami

Welcome Back Contest! - 6th to 11th

159 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
800 posts
454 battles

Hello Captains,

With the new forum rules going into effect on the 4th of February, we thought it would be a great time to bring back another feature: Contests!

This contest is about YOU!

We want to know some basic information about you and World of Warships!

Rules:

• What is your in-game name and the origin of it (as long as it is appropriate for the forums)?
  • How long have you been playing World of Warships?
  • What got you into playing World of Warships? Love of Ships? History? Came from a different game? Explain what got you into the game.
  • What is your favorite ship? Why? Feel free to add a pic as well!

Provide the information to these 4 points and you will be entered to win! Simple as that!

Prizes:

• 4 players chosen randomly will get their choice of a tier 6 or lower premium ship as long as it is not on the restricted list.
  • 6 players will get a 5x Premium Lunar Crate bundle.

Please keep your responses on topic. You are fine to share a small anecdote or an in-game experience but make sure you answer the 4 questions under the rules!

Please have fun and enjoy the contest. I look forward to reading your responses!

You will have until 11 AM CST on February 11th to enter into the contest. Please make sure to get your entries in before that time for it to count!

Winners will be announced by E.O.D. February 12th, prizes will be delivered by E.O.D. February 18th. (Ship winners please PM me your choice of ship). 

Winners:

Ships: @gillhunter @Mono_De_Mantequilla @Cpt_JM_Nascimento @Francois424. Please PM what ship you would like. Tier 6 and below and not on the restricted list. Thanks!

Lunar Crates: SpudZero, Paradat, BB3_Oregon_Steel, Landsraad, Lightninger and Ace_04.

Thanks to all that entered the contest and expect another contest soon!

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,295 posts
10,483 battles
6 hours ago, iKami said:
  • What is your in-game name and the origin of it (as long as it is appropriate for the forums)?
  • What got you into playing World of Warships? Love of Ships? History? Came from a different game? Explain what got you into the game.

Paradat.  PARA (parachute) DAT (Dumb A** Tanker) I was in a Airborne Armor unit in the Army.

I have been playing World of Warships since the closed Beta.

I got into playing World of Warships thru World of tanks. Jingles started talking about it and is sounded fun. Ichase know your ship series really got me hooked and was very excited to give it a shot. 

I think my overall favorite ship is the Tirpitz. The ship is just so good at taking on all comers. It has always been good but a series of buffs and eventually the massive buff to the secondary guns just makes the ship a joy to play.

omaha GIF

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,768 posts
10,309 battles

IGN: Ducky_shot. Use to go by the extremely unimaginitve chrispdm1. Wanted to do a pun or play on words using my childhood nickname: ducky. The nickname came from me playing goalie in hockey with somewhat insufficient gear. I added the shot on it to be a pun for lucky shot. And it also looks funny in the kill banner. 

I have been playing since May of '16

Started playing because of an invite code on an Asus component when I was building a new pc. I do enjoy history and the pace of the game was good for me. 

As far as my favorite ship, I would have to say the USS Constitution. The strength and design of those frigates for such a young navy was incredible for the time. 

• Bad 1

Members
1,436 posts
3,718 battles

Abyssofthetriffid due to a love of walking talking killer rhubarb.

How long been playing .............many many tormenting years.

How did i find the game ? probably utube.

Best ship is obviously the krasny krym.

World of warships should be sponsored by fishermans friend.

That enough for my free premium ship? :cap_rambo:

[USCC2]
Members
4,432 posts

What is your in-game name and the origin of it (as long as it is appropriate for the forums)?

WaveRider - not because I surf but because I am riding the waves in whatever ship I play.

How long have you been playing World of Warships?

2 years

What got you into playing World of Warships? Love of Ships? History? Came from a different game? Explain what got you into the game.

An Angry Joe review, then the belief that you had a game where any person could pick any ship and have a chance at beating another one due to the RPS format. Obviously that part has gone south, but the game has still been enjoyable despite all the changes.

What is your favorite ship? Why? Feel free to add a pic as well!

My favourite ship type was the DD; I enjoyed the quick play, the work up to dropping torps, the assisting team mates by shooting at the enemy and drawing their fire. That has continually changed and now I prefer BB play. Although it has its own areas of weakness and you have to think ahead and use your screen - it is by far the more relaxing ship type to play and most came to blow things up! I never understood the change to making some ships less effective damage wise in a war game.

[FTH]
Members
729 posts
12,418 battles

Purg473-

Although it somehow gets changed to Purge by my clan for a reference for purging...it's actually short for Purgatory..I've used the name on most games for the last 9 years at least.

How long- 

About a year and a half I think...

What got me into it?-

I'm a military historian...in general, but naval in specific...me and dad (who also plays) can sit around the table and what-if different battles etc...

Favorite ship?-

Iowa...actually started the game to be able to play her, and ground up that line first.

[BEARS]
Members
245 posts
4,929 battles

IGN: B0ATYMCB04TFAC3  

named after that tiny little submersible who could although a name change is coming in the near future

- I’ve been playing Ships for coming up on 2 years now (April will be 2 years) which is actually the longest I’ve ever committed to one single video game  

- I got into warships because I was thumbing through YouTube one day and a video popped up of the gameplay, the video never even got to the end before I was texting my brother and we were both on that night playing and haven’t stopped since. I have a high interest in history specifically ww2 history so this game was / is perfect for me  

- my favorite ship (currently) is the République. The secondaries are a very nice discouraging force to DD who think I’m one of those “helpless” BB that can be rushed and torped without serious consequences. 😂. The main battery accuracy while wonky at times is still deadly accurate up to 20 KM. Plus, who doesn’t like watching oblivious cruisers go “poof” 😂😂😂 

But on a serious note, this is a great game with a great player base. You’ll get the occasional toxic guy, (I’ve had my moments of frustration as anger as well) but for the most part everyone always seems to be willing to help each other out and learn new things. That is probably what keeps me coming back. Keep up the good work!

Edited by B0ATYMCB04TFAC3
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles

What is your in-game name and the origin of it (as long as it is appropriate for the forums)?

MaliceA4Thought,  kinda speaks for itself..  was origonally going to be MaliceInWonderland but my step son stole that :)  I have always used Malice or a variant of malice in all online games I have played.

Since Alpha.. I believe i was second wave.

What got you into playing World of Warships? Love of Ships? History? Came from a different game? Explain what got you into the game.

A history of Royal Navy.   My father served on some of the ships in game in WW2 and I was also in the RN at a later date..  but Navy runs in the family.

It has to be Warspite, because my dad served on it during WW2 and he saw the model in game before he died and showed me all the places he was stationed to on it before he died.   In addition, the pure history of the ship fighting in both World wars makes her very special to me.  Whilst I love many of the ships..  Warspite will allways hold a special place in the game for me.

warspite.jpg.ff899c048300c244b7306b7dca4d5138.jpg

HMS Warspite entering valetta harbour, Malta.

Edited by MaliceA4Thought
  • Cool 3

[TX]
Members
359 posts
4,378 battles

My handle... well originally I just like the way Hydra looked spelled out. It also rolls off the tongue easily and is easy for me to hear in Multiplayer. I adopted the Name, back when I was into L4D on Steam. Steam Handles don't have to be unique, but other games often do. Had to add 360ci, to use the handle on basically all other games. 360 did not come from the Xbox. I was using 360 years before the Xbox. 360 comes from the engine size of every car I've own thus far. Ci.... refers to "Cubic Inches".

Tried World of Warships on the my registration date (10/20/15)... but only played it for a few weeks and disappeared. Wasn't till sometime last year (I think when Twitch gave me the Texas, and me grinding for the special purple camo) that I started playing regularly. Guess, mainly due to the rewards, such as the free perma camo, special captains, free ships, and what not is what kept me playing.

I don't know what got me into the game. It was free to play, and seemed to be pretty fair to those that don't pay.

Favorite ship? I don't think I really have one. I guess I just like the grind, more than the ships themselves. I tend to play the ships that need XP and often have the daily % bonus, to make my way to the next ship. I also will often fall back to ships that have perma-camo and use those to credit grind with. I guess.... My overall Favorite is the Minsk (or is gonna be since, I recently got free perma camo for it and I get fairly good results with it.)

Edited by Hydra_360ci

[MEIST]
Members
963 posts
3,588 battles

jager_geist = hunter spirit  I have had this gamertag for a long time way before there was a WoWs. I came up with it just before I went back to Germany for a while.

I have been with this game since I bought into the closed beta with the Sims and Germy.

I got into the game after watching some streams about it and it looked interesting to me. I was burned out of playing Battlefield for some years and was looking for a game that isn't twitch reaction playstyle. Getting older and wanted some thing at a slower pace.

Favorite ship? I don't know any more with all the changes. All the CV rework related stuff and now the coming changes to prem ships. Was really liking the  Lighting and Cossack. Used to be more into BBs but now prefer DDs.

Edited by jager_geist

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,513 posts
13,741 battles
43 minutes ago, iKami said:

Khafni - This is an Iraqi colloquial word for "Fear Me". I spent some time as a military linguist over there and figured this would be a "meaningful" in-game name. Unfortunately, I don't think I've lived up to it, yet.

I started playing World of Warships when it went into Open Beta. I bought a Warspite for my son and I to start it all off with.

I consider myself a WWII History buff and have always been fascinated with the US Navy in particular. The thing that got me hooked into the game the most was the graphics of the ships and combat. I think that's the coolest part. 

I enjoy playing DD and CL. I have many "favorites" and most are mid-tier premium ships. I really don't keep tech tree ships in port  and don't sail them much. My favs include Belfast (no doubt), the Italian "Duca's", Kamikaze R (of course), and even Huang He and Shinonome. I have to say that Perth is probably the ship I have the most fun in. She is a challenge and it makes me feel good to succeed in her.

Members
46 posts

My in game name is Player xxxx because WoW refused to give me a free name change and I am too cheap to pay doubloons.

Been playing just over 2 years.

My interest in WWII naval history got me started. This is my first and only real-time game. Learning to play was difficult but since I am retired I now have the time to figure it out. Still trying to improve.

Scharnhorst is my favorite ship because it is tanky enough to tolerate my dumb potato mistakes. Greatly enjoying torping other BBs but also am happy to torp cruisers if my guns don't do the job first.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,387 posts
4,550 battles

1. MajorRenegade- Gotten the idea for Renegade from a old game that I still play from time to time, it called Command & Conquer Renegade. I just simply added Major in front of it

2. Since Alpha Test/Beta Weekend

3. I been playing world of tanks for years and I first heard of Warships when the title was "World of battleships" before they change it. Been keeping an close eye on it till I finally got in on beta weekend. I been playing ever since, still play wot through

4. My favorite ship is shimakaze. Sometime when I'm feeling down, I just play this dd and fire torpedoes all day. It so relaxing and satisfying to delete ships in a single torpedo salvo

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,482 posts
14,436 battles

CAPTMUDDXX origin  Military rank, Mudd from playing Microprose's Silent Service Sucking mud from the ocean floor during depth charge attacks. XX just because the email name was taken so I had to add the Xs. But in addition fro online gaming a tribute to Star Trek character con man Harcourt Fenton Mudd the premise that he is a distant future relation and I am the 20th in the lineage of seafaring Mudds. 

Joined WoWs during Beta testing.

I found this to be close to the period naval combat game a friend and I attempted to make for ourselves decades ago ie Atari 800 era. I also was an avid wargaming player from early 1960s.

Favorite Ship. HMS Victory of course. Unlike so many in this game her commander was not afraid to go in harm's way. Her picture? My Avatar of course.

In game anecdote. Wow. From long ago using my St Louis in co op to sink all 8 bots that included 2 BBs that I got between near battles end and ran circles around them firing continuously until they sank. 

o7 to all and good luck.

@iKami I wonder how many with inappropriate game names will dare enter?

[OPG]
Supertester
2,033 posts
11,367 battles
    • Way back in 1996 when the internet was young, when message boards and BBS ruled, and getting online meant telling your family not to pick up the phone, my friends and I were developing our online names.  Even back then oft-times one would find that as awesome a name as "Rico Suave" is, you find 132 people before you already picked it.  So unless you want to be number 133, you pick something else.   I discovered that a parody song of Soul Asylum's Misery, by Weird Al, called "Syndicated Inc." just hit my funny bone every time I heard it, as the song about television syndication it reminded me of the 'syndication' of screen names that was going on in the new technological medium.  So as a joke I tried to use the song name as a screen name and boom, it worked.   No one had taken it, and I didn't have to select 133 at the end of the name.   It became a habit going forward, and I found it was always available, even on massive games with tens of millions of players or more.   So it just became my game name for 23 years.

A 10 year anniversary of the song's release music video tribute by a fellow fan (not me unfortunately);
    • Too long! Sorry my wife got to my keyboard momentarily.   3+ years
    • My lifelong best friend.  My PC had died (literally overheated and melted my ram and mobo) so I missed out on the Alpha and Beta, but shortly after launch I got a new machine built (thanks black friday sales) and the entire time I was racing to get it up encouraged by my friend's constant positive reviews of the game.
    • The Mikhail Kutuzov, though to be honest I rarely play him (just an FYI all, Russian ships are masculine pronoun) anymore.  It was abusive pre-smoke firing nerf, but personally I found it even more so post the supposed nerf, so much so it wasn't fun to play anymore, as the only real counter (the DD had been nerfed in return).  In the past DDs could sneak darned close and torp your smoke, and if your hydro was down, you were done.   Post nerf, the moment you were detected you knew the DD was there, and with even a tiny bit of map awareness you knew basically the direction they were coming from and thus what angle to expect torps and how long you had before they arrived.   Plus it meant the DD was in your torp range.   It became too easy to blind torp the DD along their most obvious escape routes, and to avoid torps entirely by either dodging or having them fired so far away your smoke was done and you were gone.   Playing it nowadays just feels unsporting and not challenging.  Although I may try it out again simply for the AA build given the CV meta at the moment.  
Edited by SyndicatedINC

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
323 posts

In-game name

Versili.

I derived it from the name of one of the heros of The Great Patrioctic war. Vasili Zaytsev. Been using it for a while in all my games.

How long have I played WOWs

Ive played WOWs since the first week of open beta .

What got me into the game.

One of my friends was playing open beta and said to sign up . Been here ever since.

My favorite ship/ships

The sisters ...Bismark and Tirpitz. I had wanted Bismark forever and she is a part of my permanent collection. Tirpitz was the icing on the cake when she dropped from a new years box I purchased acouple of years ago.

<o,

[SWANS]
Members
8 posts
8,894 battles

PizzaSnob because, well, I love pizza. Also, WoWs wouldn't let me use the first handle I came up with (and it was great)...

I've been playing about 2 and a half years. I'm just shy of 7,000 random battles.

I've always been interested in war games in general and WW2 ships in particular. I played the board game Harpoon back in they day and waited about 30 years for a good PC game built around warships. 

I mostly play BBs and cruisers. I really like playing King George V but my ship with the most random battles is the Texas.  Unfortunately, the AA on this ship appears to have been spayed and neutered by the 8.0 update.  I picked up the Warspite a couple of months ago and enjoy that ship. As far as cruisers go, I like the Henri IV and Mogami.

[CUTER]
Members
781 posts
20,359 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

1.  Kongo_Pride -- My origin is from the IJN Battleship Kongo and its rich history from WWII.

2.  Been playing World of Warships since December 2016.

3.  I was deployed and a friend talked about world of tanks and said there was a game called world of warships in the works.  I started watching a YouTube player named @Wastingsometime gaming and enjoyed watching it so much I made a personal investment to get a computer capable of running the game.  Started playing got hooked and the rest us history.

4.  Favorite ship in game is the Asashio...because it is so balanced.

[O_O]
Beta Testers
92 posts
7,887 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

DevilDog23 - I retired after 31 years in the United States Marine Corps so Devil Dog seemed appropriate. 23 was my jersey number in high school and college.

I started as a Closed Beta tester.

I also enjoy playing World of Tanks. WOWS just seemed like a logical progression. My interests have always leaned towards war-gaming (miniatures/board games/computer) and military history.

Hard to pick just one ship as a favorite. For me, it's kind of a mood thing. Sometimes I pick a BB just for the raw, sledgehammer power of a BB. Other times, I pick a DD or cruiser for a more "surgical" approach. Other times, my choice is driven by the current mission or a particular grind that I'm trying to finish.

[-K-]
Members
5,795 posts
9,827 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

• Ace_04    The name is a tribute to my brother (RIP), who used to use the initials A-C-E in old arcade games when high scores could only be recorded with three initials.  The numbers are just what I was forced to tack onto the end to get access to the name type.
  • Since the tail end of CBT.  Didn't get enough games in on CBT to earn any rewards from it, but after almost 4 years now, it's fun to recollect how little of a clue I had when I first jumped into Sims/Gremyaschy/Yubari CBT buy-in ships. 
  • Always was a fan of maritime and naval history, especially with a grandfather who served in the Royal Canadian Navy.  This was and is, in many ways, the closest I'll ever get to experiencing part of that in real life.
  • I'm a big fan of Kriegsmarine ships in general, as they have a cold beauty to them that I never lose appreciation for.  But if I had to pick one in-game ship, there's a good chance I'd say Atago.  Killer looks, ultra versatile, and one of the OG Premiums that has stood the test of time without needing fluffs or buffs along the way to keep it relevant.heavy_cruiser_atago__takao_class_heavy_cruiser__by_xlegion_716x-d91497j.thumb.png.b9cfa32ff16e9c1e0da5dade82110171.png

Members
587 posts
6,615 battles

1.  Malamute_Kid  The origin is from Jack London.  The Kid is a character in a number of his stories of the frozen north and is among my favorites.  I was going to take Wolf Larsen, another London character, (Skipper of the seal schooner "Ghost" in "The Sea Wolf").  But I went with the Kid instead.    Everyone should read Jack London. :)

2. August, 2016

3. I was mainly an mmorpg gamer and was looking for something different.  I used to play naval miniatures back in the day" and have  a love of naval history so World of Warships seemed like a natural fit.

4.I have a number of favorite ships but if I had to pick only one to play ever again it would be the Clemson.  I just love everything about it.  Fast, agile, great guns.  Average concealment and the torps are so-so but there's plenty of them, reload reasonably fast and hit hard.

uss-clemson-jc-findley.jpg

Edited by Malamute_Kid

[DONKY]
[DONKY]
Members
14 posts

Breaking__Wind-chosen because its a conversation starter as well as an ENDER ;)(fart joke, you get it)

I started playing as a beta tester, took a break from tanks-went back to tanks but now have been full time  for the past 3 plus years with ships

I started playing WOT and frankly loved playing ARTY roles, felt that ships would give me the same fun from an artillery perspective.  When all the nerfs happened in WOT to arty my interests waned.  At this point I've not looked back and really enjoy ships

Belfast, Belfast, Belfast-I really love to sit in smoke and make people BURN-esp in a tier 9 match.

[DRI-S]
Members
612 posts
17,667 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

- In-game name: pufek 

- Origin of it: Well this nick was stuck with me for the past 37years, when I was teenager in a group, my mates notice I was enjoying observing & playing with steam engines (PUFF....PUFF...PUFF...Steam..), the EK come from one party when I puke my soul out after drinking and eating to much, while my mate ask me something and I reply with (EK), then the combined together puff-ek cut shortly pufek :)

- Been Playing for 3 Years

- What got me in to: I start playing WOT since ived seen it a security guard playing it, (Don't ask me how), One day I saw commercial for WoWs I say to myself lets check it out. I installed start the match fall in love the water graphics game mode, the rest is history.

- My favorite ship is: The Fiji, love that ship I nicknamed "My baby", when I sail her out the feeling is PURE MACHOTISM :cat_cool:, not scared to face anything.

Cheers  All

:cap_cool:

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
791 posts
12,760 battles

Amracil. Been known as Ronin-iCoP to my long-time ICOP brothers for twenty years or so now, but Ronin has been pretty over-used, so I opted to use a name from a very old D&D character I played when I was a kid.

A little over three years now.

ICOP players have migrated from game to game, branching out in many directions since our start playing a game called Starfleet Command in 1999. Some of them were here for the beta, some maybe for alpha. Either way, they told me, "Ronin... you have to come check this game out." And I have been here ever since. It also helped that a much admired uncle was a U.S. Navy Master Chief who deployed on numerous tin cans during his long career.

What is your favorite ship? Why? Feel free to add a pic as well!

Though I have a lot of favorites, I think currently the one I am enjoying the most is Cossack. The great detection range and terrific gun power, along with single-launch capable torpedoes, is a combination I really enjoy. The current CV rework has me playing other things right now. But I imagine the current balance issues will resolve over the coming weeks and months and I will be able to get back to playing the ship regularly.

cfGbXYU.jpg

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,648 posts
2,637 battles
  •  Im (obviously) _1204_. It is my birthday. December 4th (12-04-1999). I picked the name as a whim for my WoT Blitz account, and its developed into the username I use for everything. 

• I have played WoWS on and off as early as the open beta, and been with Wargaming even longer. I remember I came and tried out the game back when there was only 2 nations (USN and IJN). I wast playing seriously, and took breaks for months or a year at a time. Back then I was heavily involved with WoT blitz, because I had a great Ipad, and access to a crappy family used desktop. Only been playing seriously since I got a laptop back in December a year ago. Recently upgraded to 4k PC gaming and it is fantastic.

• I came to WoWS through WG and WoT Blitz. I love the game because it is more forgiving, and less lower paced than tanks or a FPS game. A perfect mix of strategy and action. In WoT you pop around a corner and are dead before you can click. Not so much here. I also love the uniqueness of the ships. There is only 1 USS Arizona, but think of how many M4 Shermans are out there!

• Favorite ship... WoWS has taught me the majority of what i know about naval history, and same for WoT Blitz. I learned more about WW2 from WG than I have in any class I've taken. Historically, its gotta be either Bismark or Yamato. Yamato for the sheer size, and Bismark for how much trouble it gave the British. In game, its gotta go to Missouri for the radar or Jean for everything (besides radar) that she has in her toolkit. I also have very high hopes for Bourgogne (3.5k away). Nelson is a fan favorite as well.

• 1 hour ago, iKami said:

4 players chosen randomly will get their choice of a tier 6 or lower premium ship as long as it is not on the restricted list.

What exactly is the restricted list? I'm sure Dreadnought isn't on there which I could really use, but is it safe to assume Nikolai and Ark B are off the table?