Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anij

Radical FIGHTER CONSUMABLE IDEA-need ideas!

9 comments in this topic

Members
188 posts
4,077 battles

Hi WG

Let us help u fix this

CVs need to provide fighter cover and by doing so you solve 3 problems

1-AA balance becomes easier

2-DDs can do their job

3-All other classes can focus on ships

4-CVs become effective contributors both offensively and defensively

Each CV will get  fighter Consumables regardless of Tier class.

• Tier 4à 2 CAP fighter groups at 3 planes each + 1 CAP 6 aircraft-CV self defense
  • Tier 6à 2 CAP fighter groups at 4 planes each + 1 CAP 6 aircraft-CV self defense
  • Tier 8à 2 CAP fighter groups at 5 planes each + 1 CAP 6 aircraft-CV self defense
  • Tier 10à 2 CAP fighter groups at 6 planes each + 1 CAP 6 aircraft-CV self defense

Proposed Operational Concept

• CV launches 1 or both fighter Consumables when they deem it necessary

• The game system will assign CAPs by first call first serve principle

• Fighter Consumables Return to CV when ammo runs out

• A fighter Consumable is permanently lost when all are shot down

All ships- Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers will get a CAP Call button

Once a captain activates a CAP Call a Fighter consumable will fly to that captain and provide air cover until:

• The CAP will return to the CV at the end of the 120 second time limit (can be adjusted) or

• The CAP will fly to a another Captain

• A captain can cancel a CAP request at any time by double clicking on the CAP Call Button

• A Cap Consumable will auto return to the CV when it is out of Ammo and the cool down time is 90 seconds

Benefits

All the CV player needs to do is launch the squadron but the CV Captain needs to choose when to launch the 2 CAPS to prevent players asking for air cover too early

This allows the CV player to focus on their attack squadrons while still providing air cover.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,593 posts
3,231 battles
9 minutes ago, Anij said:

All ships- Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers will get a CAP Call button

:etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button:

Suddenly, no more consumables.

• Cool 1

Members
188 posts
4,077 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

:etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_red_button:

It goes by first call first serve..it stays with the ship for say 90 maybe 120 seconds and then goes to the next call..much like a drive thru at mcdonalds

and yeah they might get all shot down...lol

Edited by Anij

[WOLF9]
Members
7,593 posts
3,231 battles

It's an inventive idea.  I don't see it as viable.

Here's the biggest problem.  A CAP call predicts that fighter protection will be needed in the future, and calls for it.  Yet the arrival time depends on:

1. CV releasing fighters
  2. caller's place in the request queue
  3. ammo uses in intervening encounters
  4. travel time.

Response time is too long and too uncertain to oppose a specific attack, and loiter time is too short (of necessity) to do much against a concerted series of attacks, even if the timing works.

And as suggested above, everyone will request a CAP as soon as the hull gets wet.  Long queue.

BTW, a dedicated CAP is already in-game, in the form of a Catapult Fighter - squadron, now.  Three planes, with a fourth available from Direction Center for Fighters.  It's never been of much use.  I wonder how it is now?

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,940 battles

From my experience so far, I'd recommend something more modest. 

• More fighter consumables per CV
  • Let the CV choose where to send the fighter consumable.  Yes I know that starts bringing the whole RTS interface back, but we're already there when it comes to driving the CV around.  Maybe make it that you can only send it to a location in your current line of sight. 

Members
2,115 posts
10,679 battles

IMO its easier to balance CVs if the CVs can hamper each other's ability to strike.  Trying to rely on AA or AI fighters is going to be a struggle.  Already people have figured out how to evade much of the long range flak.  Without over lapping AA fields some ships took a major hit if they have poor short range AA.  That also apparently leads to if you lose for example all of your short range AA, you will not have any DPM when aircraft are within that envelope.

Members
188 posts
4,077 battles
47 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It's an inventive idea.  I don't see it as viable.

Here's the biggest problem.  A CAP call predicts that fighter protection will be needed in the future, and calls for it.  Yet the arrival time depends on:

1. CV releasing fighters
  2. caller's place in the request queue
  3. ammo uses in intervening encounters
  4. travel time.

Response time is too long and too uncertain to oppose a specific attack, and loiter time is too short (of necessity) to do much against a concerted series of attacks, even if the timing works.

And as suggested above, everyone will request a CAP as soon as the hull gets wet.  Long queue.

BTW, a dedicated CAP is already in-game, in the form of a Catapult Fighter - squadron, now.  Three planes, with a fourth available from Direction Center for Fighters.  It's never been of much use.  I wonder how it is now?

yes possibly but maybe not

You have 3 gap groups 2 for fleet 1 for self defense

The enemy team cant launch more then 1 attack squadron at a time. So at any one time in a 1CV game there is no more then 1 attack squadron attacking going or arriving. In fact 2 cap groups per CV might be too much. The 2 cap groups I propose is more then what the RTS provided and certainly more then any US CV T4-8 pre 8.0 provided. So the loiter time could be brought down to 45 seconds instead of 90 seconds and like that the CAP group could provide cover to 4 ships every 3 minutes.. I would say that's a good deal considering now we get nothing

The only time u lose cap is ammo out or get all shot down

Edited by Anij

[WOLF9]
Members
7,593 posts
3,231 battles
37 minutes ago, Anij said:

I would say that's a good deal considering now we get nothing

I don't think that's true.  CV can send fighter consumable to a location now.  Not sure of the details.  Perhaps a CV driver can inform?

In the iChase Flying Shima video, the red CV puts CAP over the group being attacked.  Green TBs are pretty much unaffected due to their speed, but there is a CAP.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
4,522 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Not a button I'm gonna mash if I'm not in danger of receiving an air strike, but your point is not without merit.  And your other arguments against are certainly cogent, but I think it could be viable with some minor tweaking.

OP - I think two is a good number, but the CAP fighter consumable should have a very long cool-down.  Like, four minutes at least - that way the CV can't just spam them both out so they are of no real use to the team.  Five would be better.

The CV-bound squadron should be called AD (Air Defense, or whatever that duty was called instead of Combat Air Patrol) and never leave the CV.  And I like the idea of having the CAP fighters active until their ammo or planes are depleted.

This seems like a better idea than the current 'drop them here and they hang around for a little while just attacking what's in range and then *poof*, they're gone' fighter consumable.

But it's something that would have to be play tested to see if it really works or not.

Sign in to follow this