You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xxskills4daysxX

which class of ship to play

22 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
113 battles

I've been debating between which class of ship to play. (battleship,cruiser,destroyer,aircraft carrier) I really want to play as a class that is very effective and fun to play with. If you give a suggestion i also want a reason.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,648 posts
2,637 battles
Just now, Xxskills4daysxX said:

I've been debating between which class of ship to play. (battleship,cruiser,destroyer,aircraft carrier) I really want to play as a class that is very effective and fun to play with. If you give a suggestion i also want a reason.

Imagine rock paper scissors. BBs outgun cruisers, Cruisers hunt dds, and DDs torp BBs. CV is the smelly kid sitting in the corner. 

Personally, I ADORE BBs. They are a class of ship that will likley never be seen again. They are the dinosaurs of naval combat. They were once great symbols of power, slowly phased out by time and technological advancements. In game, they are forgiving, hit hard, do good damage, and have a low skill floor, which is always nice.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,448 posts
1 minute ago, _1204_ said:

Imagine rock paper scissors. BBs outgun cruisers, Cruisers hunt dds, and DDs torp BBs. CV is the smelly kid sitting in the corner. 

Personally, I ADORE BBs. They are a class of ship that will likley never be seen again. They are the dinosaurs of naval combat. They were once great symbols of power, slowly phased out by time and technological advancements. In game, they are forgiving, hit hard, do good damage, and have a low skill floor, which is always nice.

BBs are very forgiving. A misjudgment in a cruiser or DD and you're back to port. Not saying they're bad, just squishy.

CVs game play is new and people have 7 days experience on you, you're all green together to quote General Grant

Members
108 posts
4,535 battles

I like BB's best .I don't mind the very slow pace and the need to plan ahead.  Some HE spamming cruisers are fun too when i am in the mood.

I don't play too much DD or torpedo ships because I hate hitting my own side and tend to be too cautious as a result.

CV... too soon to tell but don't think I will get too much into them.  I have a few stashed away so i can try them out when this mess is over.

For shear fun, a brawling secondary spec'ed German BB is the most fun to me.

Edited by CommodorePerryIPA

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,295 posts
10,483 battles

Play all of them and then spend most of your time playing counter to the meta.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,325 posts
5,016 battles

play CV and reap all the tears

[LUCK]
Members
1,617 posts
21,722 battles
10 minutes ago, Xxskills4daysxX said:

100 battles? You will be well served at this point to find something else to do. Read, play another game, anything but this horror show.

I would not have said this last week, btw.

• Bad 3

Members
1,436 posts
3,718 battles
10 minutes ago, Xxskills4daysxX said:

Mackarov works well.

Huanghe is still amazing.

Hood is fine.

Best dd is sims as of right now. Maybe also kidd.

Indianapolis was fine.

Trashcan or ognevoi maybe ........

All french ships seem dead.

Molotov is dead also texas and atlanta.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,533 posts
6,641 battles

I generally recommend sticking with cruisers for your first few hundred PvP battles.  The combination of good speed & maneuverability (in most cases) along with a higher rate of fire make it possible to get the most work in on your gunnery and positioning, two skills which you really need to get on par with before you progress to tier 5 ships & above.  Contrast this with battleships, which particularly at the low tiers are slow, sluggish, and have very slow reloads, or with destroyers, whose sheer speed makes it all too easy to overextend and get obliterated while doing just enough damage that you'll think you did well (you didn't in those cases).  Who knows with carriers because of the ongoing rework.

Once you've cracked tier 5 in a few lines and feel like you're getting the basics down, you can give the other ship types a try.  You can also try them out vicariously by watching more experienced players via YouTube and Twitch.

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

PS: I see that you have purchased your first tier 5, the New York, and are struggling with her thus far.  This is completely normal when anyone first gets to T5 (it's a big jump in terms of matchmaking and skill levels), and particularly given the glut of carriers currently on the servers.  My advice above still holds.

[INTEL]
Members
6,909 posts
27,705 battles

You already got good advice, so not much more I can add other than you are talking about types, not class of ships. Different concept.

Per your question, try them all and see what you are good at. Some like BBs, some like DDs (myself).  You have to experience them and that way also learn how to fight them.

Edited by alexf24

[-WTP-]
Members
741 posts
3,578 battles
35 minutes ago, Xxskills4daysxX said:

Battleships are probably the most forgiving class to play and one of the easiest to play right now, and they still give high rewards if you know what you are doing. The only class that you really have to fear if you are a good player is CV.

Destroyers right now are one of the hardest to play, with the abundance of things like Radar, the new CV rework, etc. However they can be very rewarding and are great for teamwork as they are very important for a team.

Cruisers can be a mix. I generally find them more fun to play than Battleships due to the faster pace of gameplay. However they aren't as forgiving as a Battleship due to their lesser armor scheme which allows them to easily die to a battleship, but in return you are faster in everything and have better concealment.

Carriers can be difficult to play correctly but if you do, then it's absolute monster. A skilled bottom tier carrier player can easily dominate a match without much effort. However they can be a lot more difficult to play right and you need lots of low tier experience to know what to do.

I'd say Battleships.

Members
38 posts
3,368 battles
30 minutes ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

I like BB's best ... For shear <SIC> fun, a brawling secondary spec'ed German BB is the most fun to me.

I recommend the USS Massachusetts. Take the Manual Secondaries captain skill, and Basic and Advanced Firing Training, and watch your five-inchers churn! 

Members
4,709 posts
7,120 battles

Most BBs are just overly slow for my liking.  Slow and fire slow.  Now, this is just me as tons of players love playing BBs.  I prefer cruisers. I play a couple of bbs.....Scharnhorst and J Ceasare.  I love Scharn as it fires pretty rapidly AND has torps. Great ship IMO but it's more like a big cruiser than a classic BB.  Has TORPS!   Makes her a very deadly ship at close ranges. She is also hard to kill. Can take punishment as you close in on a red BB and wack em with those torps. Get CLOSE.

Edited by dmckay

[SEOP]
Members
1,474 posts
8,233 battles
44 minutes ago, Xxskills4daysxX said:

play Tier 6 Gulio.   

Members
4,709 posts
7,120 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Dirt said:

play Tier 6 Gulio.   

Good ship.

[STAR]
Members
2,955 posts
8,064 battles

In the current state of the game i would say either a cruiser or BB with long range and good AA. The meta right now is very passive, ships sit in spawn trading shoots out of long range. Ships with short range or bad AA are really unforgiving right now. 

USN and french BB lines could be good choices. For cruisers either USN because of the good AA or soviet because of the long ranges.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,753 posts
4,553 battles
53 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

All french ships seem dead.

My Lyon's 16 guns-o'-fun would beg to differ with you.  Charles Martel is also looking at you funny.

OP - I'm a generalist.  Up to T8/T9 in all but three tech tree lines.  Yes, I'm only average, but I'm average at just about everything.  If I ever do decide to specialize, that should put me a leg up on other players who 'main' a ship type.  (Or, you know, maybe I'm just an 'average' kind of guy.)

It takes A LOT longer to climb the trees this way, but the way I figure it, you don't get any prizes or 'beat the game' by making it to tier 10, so what's the rush?

Members
108 posts
4,535 battles
3 hours ago, NeptunesInferno said:

I recommend the USS Massachusetts. Take the Manual Secondaries captain skill, and Basic and Advanced Firing Training, and watch your five-inchers churn! 

I would love to try that ship!

[RLGN]
Beta Testers
100 posts
1,810 battles
4 hours ago, Xxskills4daysxX said:

Based on your criteria there is really only one class for you, the CV. 

Why?

1. You get to sit at the back and not get shot at until the match is almost over, if ever.
  2. You have the best vision in the game bar none.
  3. You can pick and choose which boats you want to fight.
  4. You don't risk anything meaningful, you can just attack things, once you master the dodge the puffballs minigame
  5. At least 60% of the opponents you'll meet can't do anything meaningful to your squadrons (which rebuild anyways)
  6. You have the best vision in the game
  7. When you do have a close game and it boils down to you and one or two  enemies, you can just kite away whittling them down exhausting their consumables (if they have any left at this point)
  8. Wargaming has made it perfectly clear they will stand by this class until the bitter end.