Erebthoron

I guess I'm getting too old for todays cinema

29 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,574 posts
20,099 battles

I watched some good old stuff the last few weeks and that was a blast.

Not the Michael Bay kind of blast, more the good plot with a real suspence kind of blast.

Once upon a time in the West

Strange characters, no real hindsight why they do this, that awesome moment when the story of Harmonica is revealed, the shoot out.. that just take a second. Not the Bruce Willis kind two hours shoot out, just one shot

Rollerball

Excellent action movie, nothing else to say about it. Violent for its time, a very unique "sport" story

Solent Green

Not going to spoil anything, good detective story in a extrem dystopian world

High Noon

Mother of all "24" kind series

Operation Petticoat

Some fine humor, still makes me laugh (that "We sunk a truck!")

French Connection

Real awesome cop movie

Bullit

Who don't want to buy a 1968 Mustang after watching this?

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
762 posts
6,806 battles

I’ve rewatched Wages of Fear a couple times recently - one of the best films I’ve ever seen nobody my age (~40) has ever heard of.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
5,574 posts
20,099 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

I’ve rewatched Wages of Fear a couple times recently - one of the best films I’ve ever seen nobody my age (~40) has ever heard of.

That is a good one. I'm of the 50+ league and was lucky that most TV stations here showed all the "old" movies when I was young.

When I was around 10 I couldn't wait till it was monday, they showed all the good SciFi movies from the 50's. Them, Tarantula, Creature from the black lagoon, This island Earth, they were scary as hell. Since the special effects were limited, they build up suspense. Today it's mostly "jump-scare". 

• Cool 1

Members
3,312 posts
1,458 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

Those are all on my list of favorites.

• Cool 1

Members
2,750 posts
5,729 battles
27 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

That is a good one. I'm of the 50+ league and was lucky that most TV stations here showed all the "old" movies when I was young.

When I was around 10 I couldn't wait till it was monday, they showed all the good SciFi movies from the 50's. Them, Tarantula, Creature from the black lagoon, This island Earth, they were scary as hell. Since the special effects were limited, they build up suspense. Today it's mostly "jump-scare". 

Your comments brings up some of my OLD favorites like: The Incredible Shrinking Man, Forbidden Plantet,  original JAWS,  This Island Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still and then TV series of the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits which really became so popular and still are today.  Yeah..looking back...your right..the suspence and story line were built little by little to tease the curiosity and the senses then...they didn't have great special effects then so they had to use your imagination instead.  I remmember during my time we had double features and when I got out..and it was still daylight...it would genuinely hurt my eyes to the strong sun!    Yes, those were the days...and looks like my BD is coming up...71 on 2/25.  

this-island-earth.jpeg

Edited by dionkraft
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
5,574 posts
20,099 battles
24 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Your comments brings up some of my OLD favorites like: The Incredible Shrinking Man, Forbidden Plantet,  original JAWS,  This Island Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still and then TV series of the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits which really became so popular and still are today.  Yeah..looking back...your right..the suspence and story line were built little by little to tease the curiosity and the senses then...they didn't have great special effects then so they had to use your imagination instead.  I remmember during my time we had double features and when I got out..and it was still daylight...it would genuinely hurt my eyes to the strong sun!    Yes, those were the days...and looks like my BD is coming up...71 on 2/25.  

this-island-earth.jpeg

That monster scared the poo out of me when I was young.

When I was older and moved to a bigger city, there was a Arthouse cinema on the other side of the street. Besides movies like "Down by Law" (I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream), "Another Country", "Cal" (British cinema had was good in the 80's), they had special features. Sometimes older movies like "The Caine mutinity", sometimes Saturday night double features with hilaroius mixes like "The Life of Brain" and "Monty Pythons Meaning of Life" or Christopher Lambert in "Highlander" and "Subway" (early and forgotten Luc Besson movie). We usually played RPG at Saturday from Noon till Midnight and then went to the cinema.

Members
2,750 posts
5,729 battles

One of my Favorite movies is WAR of the WORLDS and reading much about it the producers tooks a short cut to model the invaders as flying saucers able to hover on the landscape. Still during that time it was exciting but now..well...seems contrived but what the hey.  They were going to make a remake of it and it was better in some ways but still did not SHOW in totality what the alien machines looked like.  In Roger Deans book, he drew what he imagines through the original writers eyes and was in the process to make a movie of it but it fell through unfortunately. Of course Roger Dean was the inspiration of the movie AVATAR which took quite a few liberties with Deans vision and art. But here are the walking tripods traveling in threes across a barren battlescape.

waroftheworlds1.jpg

Edited by dionkraft

[PSP]
Members
7,956 posts
10,499 battles

One of my favorite movies in The Razor's Edge with Bill Murray. Unlike many movies based on novels it's actually nearly as good as the book, though the movie protagonist is based as much on Maugham himself as the character in his book.

An indie move that played on Netflix a couple of years ago that I really liked was Ink. I'll not say what it's about because any info would ruin the plot.

I really don't care a lot for many of the old westerns and war movies because they always seem to have the comedic relief character that just seems out of place. Better to just have a comedy if you are going to have a comedy.

My favorite western is probably The Outlaw Josey Wales with Clint Eastwood.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
3,312 posts
1,458 battles

My daughter wanted to go see Murder on the Orient Express.

She said it was the greatest movie she'd ever seen (yeah 16).

I almost didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't nearly as good as the original. 

Almost.

[-BMV-]
Members
1,225 posts
5,757 battles

Remember that we only really remember the good ones. So all of those classic movies you know and remember from back in the day are probably the good ones. Add in some nostalgia and it will be damn hard to get older folks to like new movies.

Members
587 posts
6,595 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Erebthoron said:

Bullit

Who don't want to buy a 1968 Mustang after watching this?

Me.  I wanted the Green V.W. Bug.  No matter how fast and crazy Steve McQueen drove, that little rascal always seemed to find a way to get in front of him.

Edited by Malamute_Kid

[WOLFD]
46 posts
909 battles

I just re-watched Assault On Precinct 13 the other day. What I love about movies I haven't seen in a few years it's like watching it for the first time again. :cap_old:

[WGA]
Administrator
786 posts
454 battles
On 2/16/2019 at 8:13 AM, BoredSights said:

I just re-watched Assault On Precinct 13 the other day. What I love about movies I haven't seen in a few years it's like watching it for the first time again. :cap_old:

The original one or the remake?

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
883 posts
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:55 AM, Malamute_Kid said:

Me.  I wanted the Green V.W. Bug.  No matter how fast and crazy Steve McQueen drove, that little rascal always seemed to find a way to get in front of him.

LoL,

I do want the Mustang, but heard stories about how the 68 Charger drivers had to keep slowing to let the Mustang keep up for the shots.

Always thought the 68-70 Chargers looked good in orange, they were black in the movie however.

Members
126 posts
1,334 battles
On 2/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, AquaSquirrel said:

Remember that we only really remember the good ones. So all of those classic movies you know and remember from back in the day are probably the good ones. Add in some nostalgia and it will be damn hard to get older folks to like new movies.

Sadly many movies today are a PC, misandric mess or an overly long chase sceen trying to out do a previous movie. Not that the sixties and seventies didn't have their axes to grind.

"Forbiden Planet" still holds up today. If you can find the original "Four Feathers" ,1930s British version black and white, it is the best one.

Some old movies are not as good as I remember but I was younger then.

"The Deep", "The Abyss" are good. The first is a litle old 1980? and The Abyss is an early James Cameron movie that cheaped (ran low on money?) out on the ending.

And "The Big Chill"with Tom Berenger ,Glen Close, Jeff Goldblum, Willian Hurt, Kevin Cline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly and Jobeth Williams. Kevin Costner was in it but was edited out.

[RLGN]
Members
9,392 posts
18,778 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, dionkraft said:

One of my Favorite movies is WAR of the WORLDS and reading much about it the producers tooks a short cut to model the invaders as flying saucers able to hover on the landscape. Still during that time it was exciting but now..well...seems contrived but what the hey.  They were going to make a remake of it...

Liked it originally, but less so after reading Well’s novel. Irritated slightly that the Martians were invincible in the Rock Hudson film, and the Tom Cruise remake.

Needed equivalent of artillery and Thunderchild scenes.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, derbuckeye said:

Operation Petticoat, what's not to like? 

Bit of a riot that Tony Curtis played an officer ignorant of submarine service, but volunteered for sub service in WW2, serving only on a tender.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,975 battles

Am watching Bonderchuck's War and Peace...trippy film...but good.

Alpha Tester
5,496 posts
2,625 battles

My mom got me into Alfred Hitchcock movies. Rear Window is one of the best movies I've ever seen, bar none.

[WDS]
Members
1,033 posts
7,707 battles
17 hours ago, jmanII said:

LoL,

I do want the Mustang, but heard stories about how the 68 Charger drivers had to keep slowing to let the Mustang keep up for the shots.

Always thought the 68-70 Chargers looked good in orange, they were black in the movie however.

I also noticed in the scene were he had to stop back up and go again the mustang didint have a posi rear only one tire left rubber  . Most high performance cars had a posi rear in that age . The mustang might have been 6 cylinder .

[KAG]
Members
1,704 posts
10,988 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, Erebthoron said:

Not the Michael Bay kind of blast, more the good plot with a real suspence kind of blast.

Once upon a time in the West

Strange characters, no real hindsight why they do this, that awesome moment when the story of Harmonica is revealed, the shoot out.. that just take a second. Not the Bruce Willis kind two hours shoot out, just one shot

Rollerball

Excellent action movie, nothing else to say about it. Violent for its time, a very unique "sport" story

Solent Green 

"Soylent Green is people!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

[RSWF]
Members
13 posts
1,986 battles
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:20 PM, galspanic said:

Great movie.  Hard to find. 

I guess I am old, because they don't make movies like this anymore.

Reminds me of Duel a bit. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.