You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I'm actually really liking this Ranked Season

24 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
426 posts
5,710 battles

This might be the first ranked season I actually get invested in and make it to tier 1. Tier 9 is great, can use some of my favorite ships (Fletcher, Musashi, Missouri), arms race is a lot of fun and more interesting that ranked domination, and best of all, NO CARRIERS. I'm already at rank 9 and have only been playing a couple days, and am aiming to increase by a rank a day or so, better than marathon sessions where you get tilted and lose a ton of stars in a row. Ranked is definitely better than randoms now, the CV rework having to do with a lot of it. Hopefully I can finally reach rank 1 for once, usually I get burnt out and quit not too long into the grind, but so far I am actually having fun. I could just be looking through rose colored glasses right now as I have not played for that long yet but still I am hopeful. 

Edited by bubbleboy264
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[-K-]
Members
5,757 posts
9,793 battles

100% agree with you @bubbleboy264.  I'm already up to R5, and have done so pretty much drama and stress-free, while actually enjoying the whole experience.  Had never tried Arms Race before this, but I've found it to be pretty enjoyable, rather than the same old/same old of prior seasons.  I have a couple minor criticisms of it, but as a whole, I thoroughly like it.  Having Ranked as a 'no CV zone' right now is just a bonus.

I also like that, while still being heavily populated by Musashi, Kronshtadt, and Kitakaze, the match maker hasn't been all that predictable.  Some matches are single DD/heavy BB laden, while others are 5 DDs per side.  There has been a nice mix of ships on the whole.  I've been using Z-46 to great success up to R5 (75% WR with her) as a counter play to the lineup of go-to ships for most.  Haven't seem many others of the same type, which is fine, as I don't want the world catching on to my secret..... :Smile_hiding:

[A_51]
Members
657 posts

I'm playing a lot of ranked myself, for a change.  The main reason is to avoid the whole carrier mess.  It doesn't even matter much if I rank out or not.  The payoff in experience and credits is comparable to random, but without the drama and frustration taking place in random right now.  Hoping all the problems are worked out and fixed before ranked season ends.

[WOLFC]
Members
754 posts
7,316 battles

First Ranked for me since season 2.  Just started yesterday and lots of W/L/W/W/L/L etc ... but I've already accomplished my only 2 real goals ...

Fun and a Participation Flag ... +1 for a NON-CV thread! :Smile_honoring:

[WGA]
Administrator
786 posts
454 battles

What ships are you playing and why?

[WOLF4]
Members
426 posts
5,710 battles
7 minutes ago, iKami said:

Fletcher, Musashi, Missouri. They're my only tier 9s lol, but I'm great in all of them. 

Members
702 posts

Ranked Rocks...first time I do not want to Rank out.

Jutland  assortmant of tricks and quickly gets very stealth.

Yamato Tier 9 cousin - Stig is driving

[-TKS-]
Members
394 posts
7,417 battles

I like this ranked too and im sub 40% win rate. i preferred T7 and i didn't have a Belfast. It sucks that the save a star crap is still going on as i see it having more of a detriment in arms race . 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,598 posts
2,617 battles
21 minutes ago, iKami said:

Missouri is hauling [edited]for me. Most my games are with her. Like a 60% wr so far. Jean I have also used a bit. It is the bane of all DDs. The sacrifice in radar is so worth it, given you have at least a few blacks or cruisers on your team.

Loving the ranked season. A week in and I'm halfway through rank 5. Its all or nothing now that Bourgogne is on the table. If I can manage to rank out for the first time ever I'll be like less than 1k away :)

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles

I expected to hate this season, as I never really liked the arms race format when it was tested, but man, was I wrong. Radar is no longer such an important factor!  It has it's benefits, but a team can still win without a radar advantage.

I'm playing Udaloi exclusively. If we can pick up concealment buffs, I turn into a DD hunting, torp machine. If we can't, I'm an insanely fast, light cruiser. I'm finding Udaloi to be an excellent, early game counter to Kitakaze at the buff zones in the center of the map. With the heal, superintendent and survivability expert, I last through to the end of pretty much every match and can usually withstand the withering DPS abuse from a Kitakaze (provided the engagement is at greater than c. 7.5 km). Also, I'm enjoying the opportunity to get re-acquainted with a ship that I struggled with the first time through.

Edited by legozer

[BIER]
Members
30 posts
4,093 battles
51 minutes ago, iKami said:

I dusted of the old Neptune and transferred a top captain to it for free. Doing really good and having a blast.

When there are not a lot of other sips targeting her, the Neptune can really shine.

[1NJS]
Members
365 posts
2,154 battles

Am using my Alsace for ranked, 

Running a full on secondary build (w/ manual fire control). Alsace is a mean ship in ranked and destroyers hate me lol.

So far have a 70% W/R in my Alsace.  I also put my 19 point captain on it because of this free switcharoo thing.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,975 battles

Yup enjoying it too and I don't like the long ranked...but NO CVs is making this fun, and very little radar.  HEY WG take a hint here.   I play the Jutland 80% (currently my only non 10 line not including the ship line that should be deleted from the game!), Mushi and Mo...don't have a lot of T9s as they have graduated to T10s and sold to purchase the T10.

[PLPT]
Members
820 posts
7,873 battles

I’m afraid to reach Rank 1, because then it won’t let me play the no-cv mode anymore  :(  Maybe I’ll sandbag some games at R2 so I can continue to avoid randoms...

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,518 posts
19,359 battles

You know there is an actual problem in the game when people are enjoying Ranked over all other modes of play...... Maybe we are not far enough into the season but not one negative post about Ranked yet.... I still say it is a sign of the Apocalypse.... 

For the record, played one match in my Seattle, did well and we won. Collected my 800ish steel and am done until next season. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
115 posts
6,018 battles

I like it too. I'm at R10.  Tried Yugumo, Fletcher, Missouri and Buffalo.  Yugumo turning out better than I expected.  

• Cool 1

[TEXAS]
Members
25 posts
9,815 battles

Ranked Battles needs to go back to tier 10 so that it is no longer a pay-to-win and premium ship game, instead of a battle of skill. OP premium ships have their place in Random Battles, but not in a Ranked Battle. WG has cheapened the game, and the majority of the teams have been really terrible. I know a lot of people that have decided not to play RB because of how crappy things are going. I know this post will probably get deleted because it doesn't say what WG wants to hear, and the moderators are...well...you know...

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,119 posts
4,337 battles
8 hours ago, iKami said:

Dabbled a bit with Musashi, but Jutland has been my workhorse so far. That little destroyer is very well-rounded, and excellent and sneaking around where the enemy won't expect you. She can burn down battleships, torpedo cruisers, and gunfight with same-tier destroyers all day; then heal up and retreat with that quick-recharging smoke if things get too hot.

I've also just retrained my Dunkerque captain so I can have Alsace available in case I need to switch things up, along with Buffalo, Roon, and Kitakaze. As for Seattle... I own it, I could theoretically use it, but I have no desire to. I only bought that thing back because I could get steel from the snowflake and I had the credits to spare.

8 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I also like that, while still being heavily populated by Musashi, Kronshtadt, and Kitakaze, the match maker hasn't been all that predictable.  Some matches are single DD/heavy BB laden, while others are 5 DDs per side.  There has been a nice mix of ships on the whole.  I've been using Z-46 to great success up to R5 (75% WR with her) as a counter play to the lineup of go-to ships for most.  Haven't seem many others of the same type, which is fine, as I don't want the world catching on to my secret..... :Smile_hiding:

Yeah I'm liking the line-ups too, there are a lot of unexpected ships in there every now and then to mix things up. I've seen more than a few Izumos, a couple of Lions, even some Yugumos here and there. In fact the only tier 9s that I know for a fact I haven't seen are the two Russian destroyers. I've encountered a few Z-46s too, the hydro battle between German and British destroyers has begun!

[HATE]
Members
810 posts
29,856 battles

I don't like this ranking season. It turned into Mario Carts with botes running around picking cherries (I like how somebody called this "forcing team to play strategically", joke of the season) and unsinkable ships (due to heal buffs). Turning game into arcade more and more. I guess it suits more teenage part of target group. Sad

edit: actually this ranked season have 2 pluses - Tier 9 which I think is very interesting and rich tier to play and it's only place where you won't see untested "rework"

Edited by SlartiBartFastE2
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
552 posts
1,562 battles

I enjoyed this rank season, until I hit rank 8 and came to a realization that every game from now on is won or lost by DD play. 

Knowing that, and only T9 DD I have is Trashcan. There is no way I’m going to advance anymore when I have to rely on my teammates (who are playing DD) to win games. 

Cant do it playing a kron or Musashi.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,163 posts
8,240 battles
18 hours ago, iKami said:

The two that I need to grind - Alsace and Izumo.    Quick matches (sometimes) and no CVs as I work towards Republique and Yammy.    

[WOLF2]
Members
1,163 posts
8,240 battles
9 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I enjoyed this rank season, until I hit rank 8 and came to a realization that every game from now on is won or lost by DD play. 

Knowing that, and only T9 DD I have is Trashcan. There is no way I’m going to advance anymore when I have to rely on my teammates (who are playing DD) to win games. 

Cant do it playing a kron or Musashi.

Agreed.   And that sinking feeling when you lose two of your three DDs within three minutes.   The Kron is already kiting to the back line to save his star.

Since I'm using Ranked for grinding two of my botes, it isn't too salty.     But the times I wish I had a DD at T9....

[SF-E]
Members
82 posts
8,570 battles

I've always liked rank, one of the best parts of the game.   Everyone the same tier, and now it's shelter from the CV mess.

If ranked wasn't available, I'd probably be gone after this last patch dropped....

• Cool 1