Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Advice for Yorck>Hindenburg Play Style / Strategy

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

136
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
608 posts
1,428 battles

Hi Guys:

Working on Yorck to build into Hindenburg and looking for play style advice from people who have played her.  My thoughts are below but would love to hear what others think or found successful.  Thanks.

Thinking this line is not a destroyer hunter like the Fiji is, but looks for other cruisers for her prey.  (No shortage now days.)  Also the line seems to have good range, good rudder, and good HE, so thinking long range HE spam to cruisers:

  • Go for Maximum turret rotation and rudder shift to allow to dodge shells from long range and keep turret on target (upgrades and skills)
  • Go for Demolition Expert skill to maximize HE usage

Any other thoughts or advise on this line like how to deal with BB's?

Thanks.

Edited by SJ_Sailer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
876
[NG-NL]
Members
5,337 posts
8,949 battles

KMS Cruisers are among the meanest at cruiser hunting, yeah.

In Yorck, I stuck to long-range HE spam on distracted BBs where I could. AP doesn't get effective until within about 12km, but again, only good vs. broadside cruisers.

Hipper gets the improved AP w/ better velocity.

Roon introduces turtleback for close-range brawls and even better velocity.

Hindy adds a bit more HP, 1 more MB, and extra torps to Roon.

I mostly play them at mid to long-range, focusing BBs w/ HE (start fires after they use DC), but will prioritize any spotted DDs. It depends on the battle's flow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
136
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
608 posts
1,428 battles
12 minutes ago, Reymu said:

KMS Cruisers are among the meanest at cruiser hunting, yeah.

In Yorck, I stuck to long-range HE spam on distracted BBs where I could. AP doesn't get effective until within about 12km, but again, only good vs. broadside cruisers.

Hipper gets the improved AP w/ better velocity.

Roon introduces turtleback for close-range brawls and even better velocity.

Hindy adds a bit more HP, 1 more MB, and extra torps to Roon.

I mostly play them at mid to long-range, focusing BBs w/ HE (start fires after they use DC), but will prioritize any spotted DDs. It depends on the battle's flow.

Thanks for the advice, glad I was on the right track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4
[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
203 posts
4,422 battles

they have flat shell, fly fast and reach target in short time and those 200mm guns  good for hitting cruiser citadel

 

as long as u are not broadside to BBs, u gonna be ok.   make sure u have guns are aiming at ur target when they show broadside(so max turning speed if u want or shrink dispersion will do as well)

 

follow a DD,  as their torps will make opponent show broadside more often

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
329
[KRAB]
Members
698 posts
6,875 battles

Yorck needs a somewhat different playstyle than the Hipper+ - you have thin plating, no heal and unusually strong HE shells, so in this case you want to maximize HE damage while trying to stay at maximum range or behind hard cover. The AP is strong, but only really shines at close range due to the somewhat sketchy ballistics and lower penetration - don't focus on it quite as much. 

The Hipper+ have the good AP shells and 27mm plating - in these ships you can angle off battleship shells (especially in the Hindenburg) while dealing punishing AP volleys. These ships shine at very long range (where 1/4 pen HE and their plating allows them to out-trade or out-range other cruisers and even some battleships via juking shells) and in close, where their turtleback armor prevents citadel damage and their very high AP alpha strike and short range torpedoes gives them devastating brawling capacity (not to mention hydro for torp dodging). For the top of the line you want to focus on survivability against HE fire - the Hindenburg is almost like a battleship in terms of build. You can abuse your armor scheme to stop AP shells (except Yamato, Musashi and Republique) but you will lose a DPS fight verses another tier 10 cruiser if you are both spamming HE - you need to mitigate this as much as possible. 

KM cruisers are strange in this respect - they are really pocket battleships in many ways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
136
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
608 posts
1,428 battles
5 minutes ago, callphy said:

they have flat shell, fly fast and reach target in short time and those 200mm guns  good for hitting cruiser citadel

 

as long as u are not broadside to BBs, u gonna be ok.   make sure u have guns are aiming at ur target when they show broadside(so max turning speed if u want or shrink dispersion will do as well)

 

follow a DD,  as their torps will make opponent show broadside more often

Any tips for hitting ships 15-17 km out?  I tend to miss a lot at max range.  Use dynamic reticule with 1 point per sec flight time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
136
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
608 posts
1,428 battles
1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

KM cruisers are strange in this respect - they are really pocket battleships in many ways. 

Thanks, BB's were always too slow for me.  I am liking the Yorck, but to be honest the Fiji is more fun.  However I am told it is not what you want to take to T10 with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
388 posts
5,189 battles

Yorck gets her engine broken really easy.  After having two battles in a row where I lost the engine, repaired it, and then lost the engine again twenty seconds later I respec'ed her commander to remove PT and EM and add PM and LS.  Seriously.

I personally have found Yorck terrible to play in Randoms, though very successful in Co-op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×