Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

How are Tier 8/10 planes so tough?

4 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
1,057 posts
4,871 battles

I played my Ranger once post-patch in Co-op to see how the CV rework worked. The planes were godawful paper stringbags against a Queen Elizabeth's AA regardless of evasive turns against the flak bursts.

Meanwhile, my Iowa (now defunct due to finishing) and All-sass often can't shoot down a single plane out of a Shoukaku's Imperial Japanese flying tinderboxes on their run in.

As far as I've been able to determine Tier 4 and 6 carriers are completely useless due to wet paper bag planes, but Tier 7+ carriers (if Saipan's absurdly tough aircraft are any indication for Tier 7) have absurd plane durability. It makes lower tiers horribly useless and upper tiers horribly broken. Who thought this was a good design decision?

I'm starting to think we need flak range to be over 8 kilometers for high tier warships, to make watching planes approaching on the map feel less like roleplaying Operation Ten-Go.

Those tier 8/10 planes need to stop feeling like they're tougher to gun down than the ships they're flying off of, and the Tier 4/6 planes need to stop feeling like napkins.

Edited by Guardian54

Members
5,137 posts
5,962 battles

Plane durability and AA effectiveness are still highly tier dependent. Ryuujo can essentially hover her planes over any T5 ship, but T7 and T8 ships will cause a ton of damage to aircraft even when avoiding flak.

I'm noticing the same in Shoukaku with stock aircraft(they are T7 planes). They just don't last long, at all really, in T8 AA. Which is a crying shame because Shou's stock planes are some of the most iconic Japanese naval aircraft.

RNG forbid you have to face T9 or T10 AA with stock planes in a T8 CV.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 1:09 PM, Guardian54 said:

As far as I've been able to determine Tier 4 and 6 carriers are completely useless due to wet paper bag planes, but Tier 7+ carriers (if Saipan's absurdly tough aircraft are any indication for Tier 7) have absurd plane durability. It makes lower tiers horribly useless and upper tiers horribly broken. Who thought this was a good design decision?

Saipan's planes are actually tier 10, which is why they're so absurdly tough. I've played Ranger, Hakuryu, Lexington, and Kaga since the rework hit. Going down the list from worst to best durability:

Kaga, oh meine gotte Kaga. You want tissue paper planes? THESE are some planes armored in genuine rice paper right here, friend. Tier 6 planes on a carrier that regularly sees tier 10. There's a reason she has two backups for each squadron on-deck at the start of the match. Kaga is meant to spam spam SPAM and blot out the sun with her planes, which in turn melt like ice cream on Mercury the second they enter a high-tier AA field. Get used to only getting one pass in with these, you're going to be doing a LOT of that.

Lexington is actually worse than Ranger to me for one reason: At her tier those DBs just can NOT take a hit. I'm always shocked when I get off more that a run or two in them because having to dive through flak to get right on top of the enemy before even STARTING your attack run is suicidal at high tiers right now.

Ranger is better-rounded, her DBs don't have as many bursts to deal with so they live longer, and otherwise her planes feel the same v. same-tier opponents.

Hakuryu is still the flying Shima for a few hours, so how do you shoot down a plane if it doesn't even get in range? Short answer: You don't, hence the nerfs.

Sign in to follow this