You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

WHAT MAKES A GOOD CLAN LEADER?

14 comments in this topic

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles

Hello. I'm a Clan Leader and have been one for a year now or so. Im an Average Player but am trying to get better, And I like Opinions from Players and other Clan Leaders on What makes a good clan leader. I welcome your thoughts and Ideas. I do run Our own Contests and award prizes out of my own Pocket.  I try to help newer players learn about their ships and the enemy ships. Again,,Any ideas or thoughts will be welcome. Thank you

[VFW]
Members
1,072 posts
22,395 battles

GSX, 

I believe you'll really have to answer that yourself.  But, here is my opinion (just my opinion...mileage may vary)

1.  Very active in game and knows the latest news of the game.

2.  Polices the clan to ensure a clean and good reputation of the clan as a whole.

3.  Listens and considers advice or input from clan...but ultimately makes the choice.

4.  Ensures the clan is active and eases out inactive or non-participating clan members, but is the one to take that responsibility.

5.  Set forth basic clan rules and enforces them equally and fairly.

This is just a basic list, I'm sure others have more and will chime in.  

VR, 

Fellow Clan Leader

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,822 posts
6,882 battles

1. Knowing how to behave. Some clan leaders are not capable of seperating their leadership roles from their own feelings, which kills the trust to you. Know that you out of everyone is expected to obey the rules you may have set up. When you make mistakes, admit so, but don't believe that as a leader you are some sort of god.

2. If the clan wishes to take a direction you personally disagree with, accept that. Don't screw with democratically reached conclusions. Seriously, don't.

3. Be active, and keep contact to all members even if it's just sporadic. No one likes that leader that is inactive for 29 days every month, and checks in once to be like "Haha, I'm your boss". If you got a discord server, check how many messages you have typed and compare to others. If you are not within the top 10% in terms of activity, step up your game (There are also botes like Tatsumaki which do track activity).

4. Be able to solve issues within the clan and between members, while being fair and not making any hasty calls. Get as much information as you can, perhabs consult someone who was not involved, then make a call. Be able to justify said call with more than "Because I said so".

5. Keep an overview of the clan situation. Are the cliques? How would I recommend someone to integrate into the community?

6. Don't lead alone. Have a group of trusted (trusted, not bootlicking) members in Officer/Deputy positions that help moderating. Just like you they are not gods, and have to obey the rules.

7. Know your cliques. Usually once a clan grows you'll have cliques emerging. Be it that they share common interests, are friends from older days or whatever reasons there may be. Why is that important? Because these cliques should be considered when moderating. Try to have at least one of each clique within the moderation staff. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,456 posts
9,384 battles

Someone who won't rage purge the entire clan for not playing CB right?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
60 posts
9,993 battles

Plenty of people have talked about the clerical duties. Those I don't think are the important ones. I'm going to talk about the interpersonal relationships side. This may sound sappy, but I believe that it holds true:

Be there and care for your members like they're your own family. People have different needs and wants, and all clans are a little different in structure, but that principle holds true. People are people- sometimes they need a punching bag, sometimes they need a shoulder to cry on, and in the case of @Toxic_Masculinity, sometimes they need a name reset. As a leader, you need to be the one that's there for them through thick and thin. When I was a Deputy Commander in a prior clan, I got all kinds of messages. Division requests, tips, tricks, "What should I do", requests for Discord roles, the usual.... But, I also got a lot of PMs from people who were having problems in their life. There's one guy I know who is one of my best friends now- he doesn't play the game much anymore, but he came to me wanting a friend and nothing more. He came from a really rough family, and was broken. I ended up being his inspiration through finding a job and going to college. At the time, I was working 14 or even sometimes 15 hour days seven days a week to help the neighbor, who's farm was in trouble. What's so special about me? Nothing- I would chat with him from the cab of a Kenworth or John Deere when I was stopped and had a moment. I'd send a picture of what I was doing, and throw out some words of encouragement. Inside, the work was miserable. But, he never knew that I wasn't happy. The reason is simple: He needed a shoulder to cry on and a friend. I was that person. When he went missing for a week, and we didn't know if he was okay, I was sick to my stomach. I would have given the last dollar in my pocket to just know that he was okay. Our clan members sent me PMs offering everything you could imagine for him. You likely won't have a situation like that, and I pray that nobody does. But, that's not the point. The point: A World of Warships clan isn't a bunch of people who play a video game. The clans that think they are will fail every time. A clan is a group of friends that care about each other on a deeper level.

That's how friendships are made and kept. That's all your clan should want out of you. Just to know that you care about them, want the best for them, and that you're there for them. Do that, and the rest falls in line. People may disagree with decisions, but they're not bad people. If they are, you don't want them in your clan. Period.

But, good people- they'll care for each other and form tight bonds. Sure, they'll disagree and squabble, and yes- it's your job as the clan owner to intervene sometimes. But, that's the easy part. The emotional part of it is what separates a weak leader from someone who's strong

• Cool 2

[CRMSN]
Members
425 posts
3,136 battles
7 hours ago, Tsukiumi_Chan said:

Plenty of people have talked about the clerical duties. Those I don't think are the important ones. I'm going to talk about the interpersonal relationships side. This may sound sappy, but I believe that it holds true:

Be there and care for your members like they're your own family. People have different needs and wants, and all clans are a little different in structure, but that principle holds true. People are people- sometimes they need a punching bag, sometimes they need a shoulder to cry on, and in the case of @Toxic_Masculinity, sometimes they need a name reset. As a leader, you need to be the one that's there for them through thick and thin. When I was a Deputy Commander in a prior clan, I got all kinds of messages. Division requests, tips, tricks, "What should I do", requests for Discord roles, the usual.... But, I also got a lot of PMs from people who were having problems in their life. There's one guy I know who is one of my best friends now- he doesn't play the game much anymore, but he came to me wanting a friend and nothing more. He came from a really rough family, and was broken. I ended up being his inspiration through finding a job and going to college. At the time, I was working 14 or even sometimes 15 hour days seven days a week to help the neighbor, who's farm was in trouble. What's so special about me? Nothing- I would chat with him from the cab of a Kenworth or John Deere when I was stopped and had a moment. I'd send a picture of what I was doing, and throw out some words of encouragement. Inside, the work was miserable. But, he never knew that I wasn't happy. The reason is simple: He needed a shoulder to cry on and a friend. I was that person. When he went missing for a week, and we didn't know if he was okay, I was sick to my stomach. I would have given the last dollar in my pocket to just know that he was okay. Our clan members sent me PMs offering everything you could imagine for him. You likely won't have a situation like that, and I pray that nobody does. But, that's not the point. The point: A World of Warships clan isn't a bunch of people who play a video game. The clans that think they are will fail every time. A clan is a group of friends that care about each other on a deeper level.

That's how friendships are made and kept. That's all your clan should want out of you. Just to know that you care about them, want the best for them, and that you're there for them. Do that, and the rest falls in line. People may disagree with decisions, but they're not bad people. If they are, you don't want them in your clan. Period.

But, good people- they'll care for each other and form tight bonds. Sure, they'll disagree and squabble, and yes- it's your job as the clan owner to intervene sometimes. But, that's the easy part. The emotional part of it is what separates a weak leader from someone who's strong

I want to hate this post, but i cant +1 

• Cool 1

[HATE]
Members
105 posts
9,848 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, GSXstage1 said:

Hello. I'm a Clan Leader and have been one for a year now or so. Im an Average Player but am trying to get better, And I like Opinions from Players and other Clan Leaders on What makes a good clan leader. I welcome your thoughts and Ideas. I do run Our own Contests and award prizes out of my own Pocket.  I try to help newer players learn about their ships and the enemy ships. Again,,Any ideas or thoughts will be welcome. Thank you

I wrote a post on this very topic recently so I will paste my post as it is.

Over the last few months to a year we have seen some of the larger clans at the top of the leader board melt. Mass exodus to form other clans, or to go solo. It has me thinking. I am the Clan leader of HATE. One thing I can say about our clan is that we are pretty drama free. I know quite a few clans that are very healthy and most of them have a few things in common. As I write this I don't want the theme to be about my clan or about the pretty well known clans that are falling apart. I want this to be about how to find a clan and a culture that will make your game play and experience in the game more fun. Fun that is why all of us started to play. As I can only pull on my personal experience, I will offer a few things to consider.  I had started in a clan when it was just beginning of clans. I will not call out where I was but I will say that a lot of clans will have similar ideas of how a clan should be ran. You have a rank structure that is based in either army or navy hierarchy. So that is where in my opinion the problem starts. Consider this, for the most part we are a bunch of voices online in discord or ts3 and we suddenly have 10 people that think they can tell you what to do, what you can and cant do.  By this structure you start a conflict. You don't have dominion over adults. In my clan I recruited by expressing the vision of the clan and the basic standards in which we will treat each other. People follow me by choice not title or rank. They see the same vision and goal for the clan and want to be a part of it. A lot of players will try to join a clan to "be" in the best clan or have the best rank. You have to ask yourself why and what do I want from the clan? Most players want to have fun, laugh, win, improve, and play together. Does your clan promote that? Is the clan you are in working together? Do they come on the voice coms when in the game? Do you division up together? Or is the culture of the clan littered with toxic egos? I need to be worshiped for my silk and all those that are not in the stat range that this person feels if valid are shitters and should uninstall. How many clans have at least 3 or 4 of those players.  When that is the case it is merely time before they poison the rest. What I would recommend you do is consider first what the culture of the clan is? What is the vision of the clan and it's leadership? What are the time requirements to be there? Is this a place that I can be a member and have fun. What is the median age? Not that age should be a factor in the choice, but you have to consider the topics that will be discussed in the voice chat. (must be 18 min for my clan) Below I have the rules as they are for my clan. I can't say that I have it all figured out but i can say I have a lot of long term players. 

• Have fun and like to win
  • use discord when in the game
  • don't raise your voice improve your argument
  • volume doesn't make your opinion more valid 
  • understand that someone mite know something that you don't
  • everyone wants to win
  • understand first why someone made a choice in the game before you yell at them, with understanding you can offer a better choice and they will be more open to the suggestion
  • Discuss the topic not the person heaving the discussion 
  • establish if the clan is competitive or casual

I hope that in some way we can improve the culture of our beloved game. Yes our game is having some growing pains but we can improve the culture one player at a time.

[-BRS-]
Members
417 posts
18,048 battles

Great conversation here! I believe the same guidelines apply to leading a clan, as leading in secular work. 

1. Lead by example
  2. Set clear expectations
  3. Hold yourself and others accountable for their actions
  4. Make decisions - The easy and the hard ones. Ask for opinions but ultimately, you have to make the call.
  5. Complaints go up the ladder, not down. This ties into keeping a healthy level of positive emotion on the team. 
  6. Be compassionate and understanding

This virtual environment lets us take a break from the real world and the stresses of life. Everywhere you look in the world, people are being hateful to each other or putting people down for their own agendas. Let your recreation be free of that. Try being pleasant, nice, complimenting, etc. Display good sportsmanship. Build your people up instead of tearing them down. 

I'll get off my little soapbox there at the end. But the point is, no one, IRL or in a video game, likes being around people who are negative, demeaning, and arrogant.

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
127 posts
14,346 battles

Good advice from all the posters.  :cap_like:

I lead a casual clan and I feel more like a cruise director than a commander, lol.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
184 posts
5,546 battles

Lots of great input here and as has been mentioned here at least one, being a clan commander (as the game labels it) is more than being the head dog, it's about being a leader, as the OP stated. And has also been stated, it can and often does go beyond that of the game, which in my opinion, is the true mark of a good leader. So while some of these have already been mentioned, here's what I think makes a good leader, and not just in WoWs but anywhere.

• Leads by example
  • Not afraid to delegate or ask for help from someone who might be more capable in a certain area of expertise
  • Is capable of viewing things objectively
  • Can see both sides of an argument or opinion, even if it differs from your own
  • Can work as a member of a team effectively
  • Don't micromanage
  • TRUST your subordinates (if your leadership structure supports it)

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,533 posts
11,546 battles
6 hours ago, SnipeySnipes said:

Lots of great input here and as has been mentioned here at least one, being a clan commander (as the game labels it) is more than being the head dog, it's about being a leader, as the OP stated. And has also been stated, it can and often does go beyond that of the game, which in my opinion, is the true mark of a good leader. So while some of these have already been mentioned, here's what I think makes a good leader, and not just in WoWs but anywhere.

• Leads by example
  • Not afraid to delegate or ask for help from someone who might be more capable in a certain area of expertise
  • Is capable of viewing things objectively
  • Can see both sides of an argument or opinion, even if it differs from your own
  • Can work as a member of a team effectively
  • Don't micromanage
  • TRUST your subordinates (if your leadership structure supports it)

All-around good post.  Good tone, good intent and good information!

597b9c75ccb42_TacticalStrikeGroup4(250x245).png.231b8d6e92fe7c3a639a78e7b93bc897.png

• Cool 1