You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

No triangle indicators on Hakuryu torpedoes

26 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles

No triangle indicators on the Hakuryu torpedoes. Is this a feature of those torpedoes or a bug? Especially in a snowstorm the torpedoes are nearly invisible right up to your ship. This is with a Des Moines outfitted with Vigilance too.

image.png.770257a0b498adb84ada8c82fee118fc.png

Edited by Snargfargle

[SOFOP]
Members
477 posts
5,378 battles

Means the torpedoes have not armed yet.  Haku torps take a really long time to arm, which I'm sure someone thought was a "balance" mechanic to having 8km torpedoes.

Turning into them makes for a good "Red October" moment.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[ML-S]
Members
311 posts
4,757 battles
8 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Means the torpedoes have not armed yet.  Haku torps take a really long time to arm, which I'm sure someone thought was a "balance" mechanic to having 8km torpedoes.

Turning into them makes for a good "Red October" moment.

This is actually not correct. Hak torps dont have an indicator even when armed. I found that out the hard way.  Hit two and the other 4 went right on by and never got a marker.

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles
7 minutes ago, Horama said:

This is actually not correct. Hak torps dont have an indicator even when armed. I found that out the hard way.  Hit two and the other 4 went right on by and never got a marker.

You are right. Not thinking them armed I didn't dodge. That was a mistake as they sank me.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles

Yeah this has been mention a few times now.  I first noticed it in PTS 1, I believe.  I'm pretty sure WG knows about it.  I hot it gets addressed in the hot fix patch.

[SOFOP]
Members
477 posts
5,378 battles

I have not experienced that scenario.  When I have hit them without the indicator, they have done nothing (sometimes they arm like .1 second before hitting, which sucks of course).  Perhaps there is a bug, but I have seen plenty of Haku torps go from unarmed to armed and seen the triangles as well, so if anything, it is not consistent.

[IBAD]
Members
12 posts
2,009 battles

I have been hit by several "unarmed" torps from the Hakuryu. It only ever happened when they were coming from the rear and we're chasing me and the indicator would always show up for the others as they passed by me. It felt like the torp was arming below my ship and going off even though traditionally the torpedo would disappear if it made contact with a ship while unarmed.

This has only happened to me while in a GK. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,016 battles

It's not hard to drop so that it arms right before impact. 

• Cool 1

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,072 battles
3 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

True....sometimes that wave of flak clouds though blinds my view though

Members
1,123 posts
7,679 battles
3 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

They never show as being armed.

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles
4 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

I've watched several replays and there were no indicators ever, even for the torpedoes that went past the ship.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,406 battles

Happened to me last night in Henri IV. just light bubble trails came through our area, I thought, oh oh, then saw that there were no triangles (armed), then decided I was OK, then I wasn't, hit by two, 1/4 health left, and then the triangles came on about 100 meters on the other side of me.

[--O--]
Members
224 posts

Just happened to me. if i can figure out how to get the replay file to here ill post... 4 torps 2 hit before arming took a big chunk of my health

Members
1,285 posts
7,636 battles

Yep, i am going to say it is bugged.  There are times they never turn red, even though they have armed.  Sometimes they turn red right away, and sometimes they only turn red the moment they pass your ship as you dodge.  I saw the torps without indicators in some streams back when this was on PTS.  I didn't give it too much thought at the time, assuming it was intentional.   having experienced it now, i can say i was wrong. 

[NWNG]
Members
2,551 posts
4,398 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

You are right. Not thinking them armed I didn't dodge. That was a mistake as they sank me.

That just tells me, you were right on the edge of the arming zone, and thus at just the right moment, they hit you at the same moment they arm, which does cause damage.

Not denying the possibility of a bug, just thinking of another possibility. But without a replay, there really isn't any means to which we can tell how far the aircraft were when it dropped the torps, so won't be able to tell you whether or not they were armed, or armed at the last possible moment.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
529 posts
3,026 battles

Not only are these bugged with arming indicators (they sometimes explode while disarmed, you can tell because the rest of the torpedos arm seconds later), they also do not disappear sometimes when they should after striking a target while disarmed.  Several times now I've turned into Hak torps being dropped close and the torpedoes have been underneath my hull half way before they armed and still detonated.  Normally torpedoes disappear if they hit anything while disarmed.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,049 posts
6,593 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

No triangle indicators on the Hakuryu torpedoes. Is this a feature of those torpedoes or a bug? Especially in a snowstorm the torpedoes are nearly invisible right up to your ship. This is with a Des Moines outfitted with Vigilance too.

image.png.770257a0b498adb84ada8c82fee118fc.png

Ahoy Admiral!

Do you the have the replay file to go with this screenshot?

I want to rule out torpedo arming distance vs. a possible graphic/UI case.

#anchorsaweigh

[DRACS]
Members
4,052 posts

Yah, this would indeed be a problem. I'd even heard somewhere that Hydro is not picking up those torps.

This needs to get patched ASAP as it's pretty game breaking, all right.

EDIT: I don't have an IJN CV to test with, but if someone has a Hak and a buddy with a Z-52, we can get both the triangle issue as well as the Hydro issue tested.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[RKLES]
Members
114 posts
10,243 battles

Good I thought this was just me. Stealthy torpedoes just another feature to make non CV players more happy.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,524 posts
13,421 battles

This is a bug, and was reported on PTS3 (but apparently not fixed). AFAIK it occurs any time the Hak bombers with the long-range torpedoes drop them with either the torpedoes or the squadron unlit. If you watch the torpedoes long enough, the triangles show up, but they're armed long before that.

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles
46 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Ahoy Admiral!

Do you the have the replay file to go with this screenshot?

I want to rule out torpedo arming distance vs. a possible graphic/UI case.

#anchorsaweigh

https://replayswows.com/replay/41757#statsshot-19_02.05_10_45.36-0603.thumb.jpg.03a80f091f34df31f94a3bfa291b0297.jpg

What is interesting is that the indicators show up when it's an allied ship and I'm in "dead" view.

shot-19_02.05_08_55.47-0796.thumb.jpg.91914ad52be148b9b06120f648ccf496.jpg

Indicator finally appears but torps were armed long before that.

shot-19_02.05_10_57.14-0849.thumb.jpg.dd8a2b7dbe4a554aee7e175f36e69ed9.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF2]
Members
380 posts
12,115 battles

I’ve seen this multiple times as well.  You have to be incredibly vigilant and watch the planes.  When they turn toward you and you see the splashes when they launch, turn into them.  You still won’t see the torps, but usually you only take one hit that way or if you’re lucky, go between them.  Also they drop from so far back that you don’t generally shoot down any of them.  There are several YouTube videos of how broken the Hakuryu is at the moment.  Jingle’s video today is mostly footage of Haks doing insane amounts of damage.  A few days ago Ichase did one with a couple of his Hak games where he was just torp spamming with it,  not even aiming at ships but just spam dropping in general areas and doing insane damage that way.   

They did specifically say the Hakuryu would get the nerf bat with the hotfix so hopefully all this gets addressed, but for now I’m sticking to ranked or lower tiers.  I’ve put off grinding more of my legendaries.  I’m not playing against Haks til they get fixed, they’re just too powerful right now.

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles

Note that the arming indicator finally shows up long after the torps have passed me. That they were already armed in indicated by the one without a triangle earlier that blew me up. I think that it's a problem with the arming indicator.

shot-19_02.05_10_57.14-0849.thumb.jpg.dd8a2b7dbe4a554aee7e175f36e69ed9.jpg

Members
163 posts
6,597 battles

It may or may not be related, but I had a game last night where a Hak dropped me, and while I couldn't see the torps or the indicator, I could hear the torpedo warning sound the moment the torps hit the water. Sounds like there's several bugs there atm.

[CAST]
Members
1,423 posts
7,924 battles

I wish there was the triangle that appeared when we detected the torps, and then a changed color when they armed.  There is nothing worst than seeing a slightly whitish torp stream in the water, so you think you are safe due to the torp arming distance, and then having the torp triangle appear right beside your ship with no time to be evasive.  I think the torp warning only goes off when the triangles appear too.  I could be mistaken on that one, though.  I know the torps are being dropped quite far out, so I can't imagine that the torp arming distance is as great as it seems to be.  As such, I'm thinking that I have seen the same glitch as the OP.