Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Paul_Revere735

100+ CV games since rework, some thoughts

63 comments in this topic

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles

Like many posting right now, I was not a fan of the CV rework.  Watching the videos from PTS, it looked like it was going to be a really bad deal.  I hated games with CVs in them prior to the patch.  Before the rework, my highest CV was tier 8, and that was purely for missions.  I decided to grind the Hak and Midway to have them post rework.  I did not play them before the rework, my highest tier where I had actual experience in the old system was tier 9.  I had ~400 games prior to the patch, and have ~100 games since, mostly in the Midway and Saipan.  I cannot speak to the Hak yet, as I haven't played it much.  I'll post what I have experienced, and then my suggestions for changes at the end.

My stats, to save some of you the time:  https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1015122144,Paul_Revere735/  I believe my CV win rate was somewhere around 46% prior to 0.8.0.

I consider myself average at best.  Or, as someone so politely said from the MIA clan, a "known [edited] lol.  1 High Caliber, 3 Dev Strikes, 3 Detonations, and a handful of Confederates are what I have to show for this little test.

Here are the things that I have found:

1.  Despite the constant complaints about how unlimited planes are broken, I have yet to lose half of the old Midway's hangar in a single battle.  Unless I go after too many hard targets, I don't have an issue not being able to put up a full squad of one of the 3 types.  Should I go after multiple AA cruisers, specifically the Mino, I can find myself starved for planes.  In a tough game I may lose 40-50 planes.  Please give me 90 or so planes in total, and remove the regen time.  If you are complaining about this, you have no idea how OP it would be if that was the case.

2.  If a CV wants you dead, they will kill you, eventually.  This has not changed, just the way you get there.  I have had 3 Dev Strikes since the patch, 2 from detonations on DDs, and 1 on a Fiji, landing 4 torps with Saipan.  The big hits are gone.  Highest single target hit to date was 25.5k, Hak AP bombs on a NC, with 3 citadels.  Typically a squads dmg per attack run is around 8-10k with rockets, 15k with DBs, and torps are worth about 3-5k per torp hit.  It is death by 1000 cuts.  

3.  Nothing is immune to CVs (except maybe other CVs).  This is the thought process that I find the most bizarre.  Many of the AA cruisers believe they should be immune to air attack, and cry something fierce when they aren't.  Last I checked, guns from any ship can damage another ship, so why is it that planes wouldn't damage another ship?  "But I'm full AA spec".  Full tank spec never eliminated fires on a BB, so why is this different?  It is amusing to me that a Midway has over double the AA dps that a T10 cruiser has, yet I can't count the number of DMs that follow me like a lost puppy to "provide AA".  Just stop, get your guns in the fight.

4.  New CV play is harder on new players to CVs.  There is no aim assist, no auto drop, lead suggestion, or anything.  Until one learns how to fly around the flak, and where the safe zones are in a ship's AA, they are in for a really steep learning curve.  The old system was more forgiving in this respect.  There is a massive disparity between CVs that have figured out how to do it, and those that haven't.  That said, this isn't a "great players gonna be great" situation, I'm average at best, and for the most part have figured it out.

5.  Players that are determined to play just like they did pre patch are getting wrecked.  Parking behind an island and sitting there does not work anymore.  That island that you believe is protecting you, is masking the DB squad that is coming to drop you, then immediately recall before you can do more than 5k dmg to the squad.  

5.5 DDs that are doing the exact same thing they were are getting destroyed.  I consider myself a DD main, and it hurts to see the way this patch has affected them.  If you are playing a torp boat, I feel for you.  Gunboats are still decent.  Grozovoi, Daring, and to a lesser extent Gearing are still doing pretty well.  

6.  Flak is busted.  I like the concept, but it is completely RNG.  I believe this is feeding a large part of the AA frustrations.  I have had 1/2 a squad's health wiped out by a Shimakaze flak burst, yet in the same game fly right up to a Worcester and smack it without a single plane loss, due to flak.  There is a certain amount of WASD hacks that you can use to evade the flak on the way in/out, but it's pure RNG.  

7.  Dive bomber survivability is too low.  From what I have played, there is a significant disparity between rocket/TB survivability, and DBs.  I am lucky to get more than 1 attack without severe losses with DBs.  I am somewhat ok with this due to the damage potential of the DBs, but it is also a function of what targets you are going after with them.  Hitting DDs that maneuver is pretty difficult with them.

8.  "Permaspotting won't happen anymore with the patch."  Wrong.  If I want to, I can keep anything on the map lit for as long as I like.  Whereas before I would loiter an empty DB squad over a DD and move it occasionally, now I can keep a DD spotted until it is dead, IF THE DD REFUSES TO GO TO HIS TEAM.  Find DD, rocket attack 4 times, pop a fighter consumable that he isn't going to shoot down in time, recall and relaunch rocket planes.  Fly at 240 kts to the DD who is still in that area, and start all over again.  The "I'm going to drive up the 1 line and get behind the enemy team" thought process is dead.  It was a selfish move before, and now it is even more easily punished.

9.  The new meta is ridiculous.  3 ships in proximity of each other makes it difficult to do meaningful damage.  They don't have to be AA specced, it's the flak that matters.  It does not require one huge ball of ships moving around the map.  Give up a flank, lose the game.  I've watched it happen over and over.  Evidently no one knows what a concealment specced Hakuryu can do, but even with Midway, this is punishable.

10.  The triple div of Minotaur/Worcester is going to get AA nerfed.  Yes, it is.  Firstly, you aren't as untouchable as you may think.  Secondly, for the player that doesn't yet understand how to deal with flak and heavy AA, they are going to do crap damage, lose a lot of planes, and the metrics WG looks at when they decide the next round of balance are going to show that AA is too strong.  Once you learn to deal with it, its not that bad.  All you are doing is buying time, extending the game, and the longer the game goes, the more powerful a CV is.  Just like a DD.  Keep sailing in an "untouchable pack" while I kill the rest of your team that you could be defending, or better yet, loiter in the .5km window of AA range vs detection and let my BBs tear you apart.

11.  Ships that go CV hunting 5 minutes into the game are fodder.  This didn't work at tier 4, still doesn't work now, but I encourage you to try, as it pads my damage as I kite you to death.  If the CV is bad enough to let you find him, then he's probably not going to influence the game enough to warrant chasing him down.

12.  AA range.  "X ship is nerfed because my AA range is shorter than before the patch."  AA modules and AFT changed.  That's just the way it is.  This didn't nerf your AA.  No fly zones covering one and a half caps aren't a thing anymore.  Sorry.  In my opinion this was broken in the old system, and it is now better than it was. "My AA rating was X and now its Y, I got nerfed!"  Consider the fact that maybe before the scale was 1-1000 dps, and now its 1-1500 dps.  Hmm.

13.  Consistency.  I have noticed that my damage per game is much more consistent than it was before the patch, with fewer big/small games.  CVs are still a strong influence on the battle, but the things that influence the game aren't putting up big damage numbers nearly as much as focusing key targets.  I relentlessly hunt DDs.  This nets me around 8-10k damage for that time spent with that rocket squad.  I could do much more in that time with my TBs on a BB, but it's not going to have the same effect.  I'm certainly not good, at least I don't think so, but doing these things wins games, and is still going to be a disparity.  Same can be said for any other class of ship.  Attack the right target at the right time.

So, with all that being said, what do I feel are changes that should be made?

1.  Ships spotted by the CV are only fully visible to the CV, the rest of the fleet gets the outline on their minimap, similiar to an out of range ship during a cyclone.  There are 2 ways I can play, I can either just brute force damage to win, or I can forgo damage and just spot for the team.  This may be an option for the new line of "support" CVs that we are hearing about.  Make the current CVs "attack CVs" with the inability to spot, and the other line able to spot but do significantly less damage.  As it is now, I shouldn't be able to light up a DD or a Mino, or whatever for as long as I want and let my team take them out.  Ships that depend on concealment as a big part of their toolkit are suffering in the new meta.  Shima is reduced to long range torp spam, or hiding next to something with AA.  I don't think that is the right rock.  With this change I would still be able to relay information as far as where the other team is moving to and what the battle looks like, but wouldn't open these ships up to across the map shots from BBs.

2. DB survivability needs to be buffed, to make it a viable option to use.  Currently they are too fragile at T10 to be used for more than 1-2 attack runs.  Suggestions would be to give them an immunity window once the attack run is commenced, or to flat buff their HP.  I like the immunity window on attack idea, as this still leaves them vulnerable on their approach, yet once the attack is commenced, the only thing left is maneuvering of the target.  This is similiar to how once the shells are in the air, only the targets maneuvering will make a difference.

3.  AA RNG.  Right now it's pure RNG as to whether there are gaps to fly through, and whether or not you put up flak in the right places.  I do like the concept of flak, and I'm not advocating for its removal, as it does allow the CV player to determine their own fate so to speak, whereas the old system was just a constant aura.  I believe boosting the continuous aura dps will help, and in doing that, change flak to only fire on the side where the reinforced sector is to compensate for the change in DPS.  This makes it more dependent on what the player being attacked does, as well as forces the CV to probe defenses to determine whether or not to attack.  This slows the tempo of the attack for the CV, while rewarding not only the CV player who figures out which side to attack, but rewards the normal ship for setting up the appropriate sector.

4.  Add another key to allow the CV player to abort an attack run.  Quality of life change, it's annoying when I start a TB run from 6-7km, only to see that target finished off, and I have to continue flying the attack run or drop ordnance to make it stop.  Assign it to G key.

5.  Adjust the range of when the CV self defense fighter launches.  CVs currently look like bots, launching their self defense fighter immediately when spotted, same as spotter planes in a bot game.  Reduce the range at which this triggers.  As it is now I periodically fly to the enemy CV just to burn his fighter consumable/put it on cooldown.  This is easy to abuse, and kind of negates why the consumable is there in the first place.

6.  Premium consumables.  CVs should have them too.  This includes aircraft consumables.  Enough said.

7.  Saipan is not where it needs to be.  Maybe the sample size is too small of the games I played, but it is a mini Midway at tier 8 right now.  Change the rockets away from the Tiny Tims to the normal rockets.  Kaga needs nerfed.  Enterprise from what I have seen seems ok, and I have not seen a GZ since the patch.

8.  Give me control of my ship back.   Holding shift while using WASD should be able to steer the CV.

9.  Consider changing the spotted mechanic for aircraft.  Right now there is built in RPF if you are DD hunting.  Fly around with rocket planes until you get detected, go into attack mode, and you are ready for the DD that is spotting your planes.  Possible solution would be to revert plane detection range to the detected by air range of the ship, but I can see that being abused so I don't know for sure about that one.  If I want an easier time to find DDs, I'll invest in RPF.  As it is now if it is a divisioned DD with a bigger ship, spot one and you will find the other, or use the method I previously described.  Put the spotting game back in the hands of the DD.

10.  Add a fuel mechanic for planes.  After the CV sinks, we have 3 minutes until that squad is done.  Make this true with every squad we launch.  This will help with the loitering just to provide vision.

In closing, I decided to see what it was like on the other side.  After 100 games, I'm not as salty about the change as I was, and that is hard to say.  I am enjoying the changes for the most part.  Now that my experiment is complete, I can go back to normal ships again.  There are a lot of things that were done well with the rework, HOWEVER, there are still some big changes that need to be made.  WG has an idea of where they want CVs on the food chain.  If the MM is packed with nothing but full AA builds, well, guess what is going to happen.  Either CV damage is buffed, or AA is nerfed.  This isn't me asking for easier ships to shoot at, I'm just fine with where the damage is now.  We are going to earn exactly what we get, and nothing more.  Would I like to have the old system back?  Yeah, I would.  But I know that isn't going to happen.

Again, this has been my experience on the other side of the fence.  I don't claim to be a great player, certainly not a great CV player, and this is what I have seen.  There are players who have adapted, and those who refuse to change.  That is true from the CV drivers as well as the other ship types.  Those that have decided to adapt are doing fine, those that haven't want to cry that AA is too strong or that their AA is not enough.

Paul

Edited by Paul_Revere735
  • Cool 30
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles

I think you're touching on a lot of important points, while being relatively impartial and objective. While I might not necessarily agree on everything, for example flak being a viable defense (it appears flak-dodging can be very effective once you learn how) - I think you're posting your thoughts in an open and constructive way. I commend your post for that.

Most importantly, I think WG needs to address how certain DDs are suffering to the point of being unviable ships that would just drag the rest of the team down. Some other ships suffer from this too, but to a lesser degree. For example the Atago, which is strong as a solo flanker, but doesn't have the AA to back up that play style.

I also think there's something fundamentally wrong with being able to have a disproportionate effect on the game (like focusing DDs or other ships to create a tactical advantage). It's true that if a CV wants you dead, they'll achieve it eventually, because you can't really retaliate, you can only stave of the omnipresent plane squadrons temporarily and wait for them to come back. Combine this with a Match Maker Monitor and you can eliminate those who have the biggest probability to carry for the enemy team. It seems like too large of a payoff for someone who doesn't have to stick their neck out at all. With the current game mechanics, far too much revolves around trying to counter CVs, and that's a bad way to balance a game. It seems like the presence of CVs in the game dumps a whole lot of trouble in the lap of other players, however that trouble is far from reciprocated.

• Cool 2

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles

The carrier only vision thing would help but it really comes down to the ability to strike any area on the map from any other area on the map.  That just breaks all the fundamental strategic aspects of the surface ship game play.  Maybe if you gave the BBs steerable cruise missiles.  Not a BB guy btw.

• Boring 1

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles
2 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

I think you're touching on a lot of important points, while being relatively impartial and objective. While I might not necessarily agree on everything, for example flak being a viable defense (it appears flak-dodging can be very effective once you learn how) - I think you're posting your thoughts in an open and constructive way. I commend your post for that.

Most importantly, I think WG needs to address how certain DDs are suffering to the point of being unviable ships that would just drag the rest of the team down. Some other ships suffer from this too, but to a lesser degree. For example the Atago, which is strong as a solo flanker, but doesn't have the AA to back up that play style.

I also think there's something fundamentally wrong with being able to have a disproportionate effect on the game (like focusing DDs or other ships to create a tactical advantage). It's true that if a CV wants you dead, they'll achieve it eventually, because you can't really retaliate, you can only stave of the omnipresent plane squadrons temporarily and wait for them to come back. Combine this with a Match Maker Monitor and you can eliminate those who have the biggest probability to carry for the enemy team. It seems like too large of a payoff for someone who doesn't have to stick their neck out at all. With the current game mechanics, far too much revolves around trying to counter CVs, and that's a bad way to balance a game. It seems like the presence of CVs in the game dumps a whole lot of trouble in the lap of other players, however that trouble is far from reciprocated.

I agree that some DDs are really hurting with this change.  I consider myself a DD main, and it really sucks not being able to effectively play some of them.  I still have some things to learn when playing my Shima, as of right now I don't really see it being viable.  The only Shimas I have seen in this little test that were effective, were the ones that I ignored.

I don't really agree with the "don't have to stick their neck out" part.  A DD with long range torps that knows how to abuse concealment can hold a good deal of a team hostage with no way to retaliate.  Many of us remember when 20km Shima torp walls were a thing.  It wasn't fun.  As far as no risk, I get spotted in the early part of the game quite a bit while the enemy CV is scouting.  I can count on 1 finger the number of times a BB actually took a shot at me.  I don't see CVs parking on the border like they used to.  Most find an island to sit behind, just like a radar cruiser used to.  I don't really see the CV behind an island any more of an abuse of not sticking their neck out than a radar cruiser doing the same to a DD.  That CV is still vulnerable, but with CV AA being as strong as it is, few CVs will try to punish them for parking.  I do believe that CV AA needs to be cut in about half, and I think it was put there to discourage CV sniping while things are still being dialed in.

CVs being in every game has changed things a great deal, but is this change any more significant than the addition of radar cruisers?  Think about playing a DD when the US CLs were introduced.  That was hell, but it got better as we learned to adapt.

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

The carrier only vision thing would help but it really comes down to the ability to strike any area on the map from any other area on the map.  That just breaks all the fundamental strategic aspects of the surface ship game play.  Maybe if you gave the BBs steerable cruise missiles.  Not a BB guy btw.

High Tier BB range covers a good deal of the map, if they have a spotter plane it's a large percentage. 

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, Paul_Revere735 said:

High Tier BB range covers a good deal of the map, if they have a spotter plane it's a large percentage. 

Yeah but that depends on the BBs vision of the target.  Maybe if they could fly the spotter plane over to where the cruisers are heading towards the caps.

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
18 minutes ago, Paul_Revere735 said:

I agree that some DDs are really hurting with this change.  I consider myself a DD main, and it really sucks not being able to effectively play some of them.  I still have some things to learn when playing my Shima, as of right now I don't really see it being viable.  The only Shimas I have seen in this little test that were effective, were the ones that I ignored.

I don't really agree with the "don't have to stick their neck out" part.  A DD with long range torps that knows how to abuse concealment can hold a good deal of a team hostage with no way to retaliate.  Many of us remember when 20km Shima torp walls were a thing.  It wasn't fun.  As far as no risk, I get spotted in the early part of the game quite a bit while the enemy CV is scouting.  I can count on 1 finger the number of times a BB actually took a shot at me.  I don't see CVs parking on the border like they used to.  Most find an island to sit behind, just like a radar cruiser used to.  I don't really see the CV behind an island any more of an abuse of not sticking their neck out than a radar cruiser doing the same to a DD.  That CV is still vulnerable, but with CV AA being as strong as it is, few CVs will try to punish them for parking.  I do believe that CV AA needs to be cut in about half, and I think it was put there to discourage CV sniping while things are still being dialed in.

CVs being in every game has changed things a great deal, but is this change any more significant than the addition of radar cruisers?  Think about playing a DD when the US CLs were introduced.  That was hell, but it got better as we learned to adapt.

The Shima is the exception to DDs, because of the long range torps. Other exceptions are the INJ gunboats which have strong AA. Most DD torps are around the 10km range or less, which means that radars and spotting in general is much more of a threat. However, even the Shima can be said to run a far higher risk than any CV, simply because it doesn't have anywhere near the AA capabilities of a CV, and they need to be much closer to the front lines. The way I see it, CVs are virtually untouchable at the moment. But, we can agree to disagree, that's fine.

Edited by Tentakkel

Members
762 posts
9,747 battles
1 hour ago, Paul_Revere735 said:

and I have not seen a GZ since the patch.

She can still play good in this CV rework, Id saw others do well in her but for me, it's kind of meh...
The only thing that is interesting on this CV is that how fast her plane goes (260 knots and can outrun any fighter planes from Hakuryu and Midway or probably every CV in-game right now)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.415700765e4da899c2cdcd9050780b78.png

This is a screenshot of me using the TBs with the speed of 260 knots
You can also see my Dive Bombers is still regenerating the planes, they got obliterated in 1 bombing run...

Some stuff that did not let me play comfortably is that her AP Dive Bomber plane service is slow and if you lose all of your DBs in 1 bombing run, the plane servicing (or plane respawn) from her is quite long so you'll end up using the attack planes and torp bombers.

Although the secondaries still play perfectly, the bad side is that you won't be able to control the carrier now with WASD keys when you're using your planes and another thing also is that her attack planes do not need leading, just aim the center and the rockets will hit their target still because her rockets are fast (can bully DDs).

Edit:
I forgot to mention, the attack planes are quite slow... only the DBs and TBs can go 260 knots
And her Hydro consumable was removed... Aww man...

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles

Fair enough.  I don't think the tools are being used to touch them is my point.  Difficult targets?  Absolutely.  Untouchable?  No.

I find it funny that there is uproar about a 550k Hak game right now.  The Gearing record is over 400k, yet the forums weren't ablaze about nerfing the Gearing, just congratulating the guy on a once in a lifetime game.  Interesting.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, Paul_Revere735 said:

Fair enough.  I don't think the tools are being used to touch them is my point.  Difficult targets?  Absolutely.  Untouchable?  No.

I find it funny that there is uproar about a 550k Hak game right now.  The Gearing record is over 400k, yet the forums weren't ablaze about nerfing the Gearing, just congratulating the guy on a once in a lifetime game.  Interesting.

The point is that every other class has to expose their ship to some extent or another to either provide vision or to do damage.  There are tons of gimmicks/islands to get around that but when those gimmicks run out you have to put your ship and hp pool on the line to get anything done. 

CVs are the exception.  CVs do have counters ofc.  But those counters are mostly RNG and mostly defensive.   The actual counter to the CV is exposing your ship and your guns and shooting at it.  Usually with lots red team mates in the vicinity.

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
23 minutes ago, Paul_Revere735 said:

Hence the wording "virtually untouchable". Extremely few players will bother trying to kill a CV unless it gets too greedy and overextends. Those who try will most likely get punished.

On the subject of the Haku record, I think scoring a record that high just after the rework release is one of the reasons people are critical. In my opinion a Gearing is more balanced and more deserving of some congratulations. A Gearing wouldn't score anywhere near as high damage consistently either. I've been watching streamers doing the long range Haku thing, and they seem to score ~230k damage pretty consistently. People were upset about the Conqueror damage record as well, simply because of how the play style doesn't justify the rewards. And let's bear in mind that 550 000 damage is a good one third more than 400 000.

Edited by Tentakkel

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,498 posts
14,137 battles

Outstanding post based on your sizeable sample size, not just your "theories" after 3 games.  @pulicat had a great post based on his experiences from a top the mountain of extremely skilled players.  Your post from an average of above player is very valuable for players like myself who only would play tier 4 and 5 TV's prior to the update because we were not Starcraft savants from Korea.

Great job and thanks for taking the time to write it all down.

Members
5,159 posts
2 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Battle after battle.

Excellent.

ykwSv1.png

Just give the rework a chance you hater. You don't know what you're talking about, cvs aren't as powerful as they were before.

[TMS]
Members
2,744 posts
27,133 battles
32 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

The Shima is the exception to DDs, because of the long range torps. Other exceptions are the INJ gunboats which have strong AA. Most DD torps are around the 10km range or less, which means that radars and spotting in general is much more of a threat. However, even the Shima can be said to run a far higher risk than any CV, simply because it doesn't have anywhere near the AA capabilities of a CV, and they need to be much closer to the front lines. The way I see it, CVs are virtually untouchable at the moment. But, we can agree to disagree, that's fine.

I'm back to 20km torps now, cap maybe when i think it's safe which is not often now and just just back with the fleet and spamming torps.

Gameplay has never been so exciting.

Edited by Final8ty

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles
12 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

Hence the wording "virtually untouchable". Extremely few players will bother trying to kill a CV unless it gets too greedy and overextends. Those who try will most likely get punished.

On the subject of the Haka record, I think scoring a record that high just after the rework release is one of the reasons people are critical. In my opinion a Gearing is more balanced and more deserving of some congratulations. A Gearing wouldn't score anywhere near as high damage consistently either. I've been watching streamers doing the long range Haku thing, and they seem to score ~230k damage pretty consistently. People were upset about the Conqueror damage as well, simply because of how they play style doesn't warrant the rewards. And let's bear in mind that 550 000 damage is a good one third more than 400 000.

With an 80 battle minimum, there are 6 Hak players on NA that are averaging over 122k.  There are over 423 Yamato players averaging over 122k. Over 120 Zao players.  Do you still really feel that this guys 1 game, which is 220k ish higher than the next closest players max damage game, is an accurate indication of what all Hak players are doing?  Guy has 12k battles, and over 70% WR.  An extreme outlier is being made out to be commonplace, not necessarily by you, but the forum in general.

Edited by Paul_Revere735
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles
5 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Outstanding post based on your sizeable sample size, not just your "theories" after 3 games.  @pulicat had a great post based on his experiences from a top the mountain of extremely skilled players.  Your post from an average of above player is very valuable for players like myself who only would play tier 4 and 5 TV's prior to the update because we were not Starcraft savants from Korea.

Great job and thanks for taking the time to write it all down.

Thanks sir.  Trying to set my salt aside and be as objective as I can.

[TMS]
Members
2,744 posts
27,133 battles
5 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

Just give the rework a chance you hater. You don't know what you're talking about, cvs aren't as powerful as they were before.

:Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_trollface:

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
7 minutes ago, Paul_Revere735 said:

With an 80 battle minimum, there are 6 Hak players on NA that are averaging over 122k.  There are over 423 Yamato players averaging over 122k. Do you still really feel that this guys 1 game, which is 220k ish higher than the next closest players max damage game, is an accurate indication of what all Hak players are doing?

I think it's an extreme example that indicates a trend. The problem isn't that single battle, it's the potential it represents. That potential has been well demonstrated in other battles. So, one 550k damage battle is not necessarily a problem. Consistently scoring 200k+ damage is.

Bear in mind that the Haku long range torp strat is new and that it doesn't really take a lot of skill to adopt it. You can learn more about it in my thread. I suggest watching the video in it as well:

Edited by Tentakkel

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,498 posts
14,137 battles

Word around the discord communities is that it wasn't a completely "straight" game from that Hak.  There are outliers and then there are ..... "Tests" to see how much a system can be abused for "science" . 

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, Tentakkel said:

I think it's an extreme example that indicates a trend. The problem isn't that single battle, it's the potential it represents. That potential has been well demonstrated in other battles. So, one 550k damage battle is not necessarily a problem. Consistently scoring 200k+ damage is.

Between Flamu and iChase, you can be sure that thousands of would be unicums will be testing out all the new exploits/gameplay.  I don't blame any of them though it is all a little dirty if we're being honest.  But it is the point of a beta test.

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

Between Flamu and iChase, you can be sure that thousands of would be unicums will be testing out all the new exploits/gameplay.  I don't blame any of them though it is all a little dirty if we're being honest.  But it is the point of a beta test.

Yes, it's just too bad it couldn't have been caught in an actual test instead of going live. It's no use blaming the players for this kind of stuff. If it's there, it will be exploited. I just hope WG will do something about it.

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

One thing I've noticed is Flak AA does too much damage while continuous damage may as well do 0 damage. A CV who manages to dodge flak well can loiter in AA range upwards of a minute due to the pathetic continuous damage. Even with sector reinforcement, BFT, and AA Mod 2, it's just not worth investing into continuous AA.

[TMS]
Members
2,744 posts
27,133 battles
15 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

Bear in mind that the Haku long range torp strat is new and that it doesn't really take a lot of skill to adopt it. You can learn more about it in my thread. I suggest watching the video in it as well:

My teammate didn't play much CV and i never seen him play CV  before the rework, he is now getting 200k battles and pretty much plays CV 95% of the time now.

Carrying my [edited].

Edited by Final8ty

Sign in to follow this