You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

NA server population today

56 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,152 posts
9,522 battles

Several people have stated they have/will quit or take a long break from this game. Today the server population was over 15k and this was during the Super Bowl. Most of the time it is under 12k.

My point is posting that you are quitting when the number of players is very high has little to no effect. If we see a steady downward trend then such post may have an effect.

Just something to think about.

• Cool 5

[PQUOD]
Members
1,942 posts
4,056 battles
2 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Several people have stated they have/will quit or take a long break from this game. Today the server population was over 15k and this was during the Super Bowl. Most of the time it is under 12k.

My point is posting that you are quitting when the number of players is very high has little to no effect. If we see a steady downward trend then such post may have an effect.

Its too early to say anything about the population. Not even been a week.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
944 posts
7,840 battles

...it's the weekend after the patch. Everyone's going to be on trying out all the shiny new toys. Kinda silly to throw server numbers around for either argument. 

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,065 posts
12,336 battles
4 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

It is also too early to make decisions on the game so soon after the launch of two new lines.

• Cool 1

Members
895 posts
1,286 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It is also too early to make decisions on the game so soon after the launch of two new lines.

If the CV population eventually dies back down being far few games with CVs than without, then sure okay. But if these things are going to be in most matches (especially with more than one per side), I think I've seen enough to make a decision.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,857 posts
18 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I'm not playing out of protest or to make a statement. I'm not playing because the game is not fun. 

I'm really at a loss. There is a post of CV pilots discussing focusing DDs as a tactic to avoid taking losses, and I can attest to that. Even in matches I win I have found myself hounded all game, and even when not taking damage I'm having a miserable time.

I have tried to play CVs. I went into the training room to learn the mechanics, and then into co-op; every team so far I have been the lone CV, and my bot friends go out and suicide, and I end up 1v5-1v7.  Then I die and we lose. 100% loss so far

The logical step is to take the CVs into randoms, but I can't hold my own, and I would be miserable being a lodestone to my team. 

So I'm not playing at present. It's not about making a statement. 

If someone has suggestions I am open

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,065 posts
12,336 battles
7 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

If the CV population eventually dies back down being far few games with CVs than without, then sure okay. But if these things are going to be in most matches (especially with more than one per side), I think I've seen enough to make a decision.

WG has said that the want one CV to be normal, two sometimes, and three so rare as to never happen.

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,301 posts
4,925 battles
30 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

i cant help but laugh that people are saying theyre going to bail despite that its been such a short amount of time.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,958 posts
26,990 battles

I think it's still a lot of fun.  Ranked this season is more fun than any other season.   Games are faster, have just six ships per side, and a lot more maneuver and fighting.  Just roll with it.  Every CV is a noob this weekend.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,942 posts
4,056 battles
10 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

i cant help but laugh that people are saying theyre going to bail despite that its been such a short amount of time.

I can't speak for others, only myself.

I left to do what i found fun. I didn't see that as being disloyal or that i was bailing "on my team" and i really hope most sane people don't.

I mean i have to ask where this sense of loyalty is coming from? Why should those of us that decide to go do something with our free time that we enjoy be seen as "bailing" on anything. WG is a company out to make a profit, not some guy i know or hang out with. I play their game to have fun. Have paid for prem time when i play because it's a waste not to otherwise and have spent money on ships like most of us here on the forums have.

So where should i be showing them this sense of loyalty that i as a paying consumer should not have a choice to go do something i enjoy with my time rather than sitting here dealing with what i don't find fun? Where or how do i owe them this "loyalty" to stick this out if i find it no longer fun?

It could take months to get this "balanced" or even never. They didn't listen to those of us that did the PTS.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
120 posts
10,813 battles

Once the patch hit, every game had a CV or two.  Now there are games with none again.  Maybe people were trying them out and the numbers were high (like the cruiser split).  It hasn't been that bad today.  I'm actually surprised how good the AA is on the Harekaze.  I still use TRB instead of smoke.  It's not the planes I'm worried about...it's everyone else shooting at me once spotted.

I can get 8 or so planes down a game with CVs, but this one shocked me.

image.png.a73422fe9c325f0620cb990df4048def.png

Edited by JER1971

Beta Testers
772 posts
6,401 battles
Just now, Hanger_18 said:

Well, except for the fact people may not like how the game plays with this CV rework - especially with the type of ship they prefer.  WG has perfected the "captive" gaming experience where someone invests so much time and effort into their games its sometimes hard to walk away.  People who accept this captivate scheme get frustrated when such massive changes are made, and so it becomes extra frustrating to then look at leaving a game that just a few days ago seems great.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,699 posts
3,103 battles

Everyone is trying out the new toys. It's been 2 CVs a game. I think that most of the complaints aren't about the new CVs, they're about CVs period. They were certainly more powerful, but now they're in every game and players have to remember how to play when aircraft are overhead almost all the time. The fact is, the game evolved without CVs, and the meta is being forcefully changed. I saw a Republic player out on his own on a flank, complaining about how the CV was constantly attacking him, whining about how they were broken now. I reminded him that a week ago, he would have been dead in the first, certainly second, strike. Instead he tied up the CV for 10 minutes. I'm not saying there aren't problems (there absolutely are), but they are more from the reintroduction of CVs than the changes to the CVs.

• Cool 2

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
48 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If it's not to early to score 550k damage in a Hakuryu, then it's not too early to make observations on the gameplay.

mek9f8mflce21.jpg

Edited by Tentakkel
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
10,199 posts
11,922 battles
38 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Yeah and many who have invested a lot in the game will not leave simply on suspicions of the CVs wrecking everything. After all a great many of us accepted the full compensation offer because we did not like the new CVs. And already starting to see some battles with no CVs in them so early after update.

Beta Testers
772 posts
6,401 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Everyone is trying out the new toys. It's been 2 CVs a game. I think that most of the complaints aren't about the new CVs, they're about CVs period. They were certainly more powerful, but now they're in every game and players have to remember how to play when aircraft are overhead almost all the time. The fact is, the game evolved without CVs, and the meta is being forcefully changed. I saw a Republic player out on his own on a flank, complaining about how the CV was constantly attacking him, whining about how they were broken now. I reminded him that a week ago, he would have been dead in the first, certainly second, strike. Instead he tied up the CV for 10 minutes. I'm not saying there aren't problems (there absolutely are), but they are more from the reintroduction of CVs than the changes to the CVs.

100% agree with most of this, but of all the things I hear or read people complain about WoWS - i didn't hear many (if any) pressing for massive CV changes.  Why WG decided to go change something that settled into its own "corner" of the game is beyond me.

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and many who have invested a lot in the game will not leave simply on suspicions of the CVs wrecking everything. After all a great many of us accepted the full compensation offer because we did not like the new CVs. And already starting to see some battles with no CVs in them so early after update.

Lower tier battles is where you want to look for new CV players. Those queues still have far more CVs in them than any other ship type.

[RKLES]
Members
10,199 posts
11,922 battles
8 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

Lower tier battles is where you want to look for new CV players. Those queues still have far more CVs in them than any other ship type.

That’s also where they can try out CVs without bankrupting their credits if they fail, and even many of those are saying they are selling all CVs after their battles are done.

[TDRB]
Members
3,152 posts
9,522 battles
56 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

57 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

...it's the weekend after the patch. Everyone's going to be on trying out all the shiny new toys. Kinda silly to throw server numbers around for either argument. 

In the context I was using the numbers it is not too early nor is it silly. No predictions of what the population would be after the dust settles were made nor implied. The fact remains if you are announcing you are quitting in protest you are doing so at the wrong time.

[-TIC-]
Members
393 posts
2,379 battles
1 minute ago, kgh52 said:

The fact remains if you are announcing you are quitting in protest you are doing so at the wrong time.

I fully understand people who get frustrated enough to quit the game. Personally, I have more interest in just watching how everything is turning out, rather than playing at the moment. Feels a bit like watching a train wreck some times, but that can be entertaining.

But yeah, people won't be leaving en-masse just after a major update. Usually it's something that builds up along with frustration over time. Then when people start to leave, the snowball gets rolling because others are seeing their friends leave. For many, there's not much reason to play beyond the social aspect.

[TDRB]
Members
3,152 posts
9,522 battles

people won't be leaving en-masse just after a major update. Usually it's something that builds up along with frustration over time.

I started playing a year ago. In that span of time I have seen a lot of frustration expressed by DD mains, more than both BB & cruiser mains put together IMO, in the forum. After seeing what CV are doing to DD's since 8.0 dropped I understand why this is the last straw for some DD mains. 8.0 has also frustrated non-DD mains. I belong in that group.

Disclaimer: My opinions are subjective. The validity of the causes for the DD player's frustrations is irrelevant in this thread.

Members
2,412 posts
85 battles
57 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

But yeah, people won't be leaving en-masse just after a major update. Usually it's something that builds up along with frustration over time. 

24 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I started playing a year ago. In that span of time I have seen a lot of frustration expressed by DD mains, more than both BB & cruiser mains put together IMO, in the forum. After seeing what CV are doing to DD's since 8.0 dropped I understand why this is the last straw for some DD mains. 8.0 has also frustrated non-DD mains. I belong in that group.

Disclaimer: My opinions are subjective. The validity of the causes for the DD player's frustrations is irrelevant in this thread.

IN the case of DD players leaving the game en-masse, it seems that the ones that left are being replaced by new DD players at a more-or-less equivalent rate.

People have been whining that DD play will be extinct ever since two years ago, and yet the DD population still ran strong. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,017 posts
4,812 battles

Before everybody cries abandon ship, this patch is going to be worked on for awhile since WG is aware that its a huge shift in gameplay.

I have some faith that they will get it to a decent medium.  Not everybody is going to like it, but it will enable everybody to play at a decent pace.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,017 posts
4,812 battles
7 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

IN the case of DD players leaving the game en-masse, it seems that the ones that left are being replaced by new DD players at a more-or-less equivalent rate.

People have been whining that DD play will be extinct ever since two years ago, and yet the DD population still ran strong. 

Fair point.  I remember when people were raging about how radar was going to kill all DDs for good.

DDs are still around and they adapted.  Heck!  I still prioritize their destruction above other units because of their potential to cause chaos when alive.