Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

PSA: 0.8.0 AA Defense - how it works

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,684
[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,924 posts
4,385 battles

The wiki team has updated the AA Defense section of the Aerial Combat article.  (Note: The other sections are still obsolete.)

If you want to know how AA Defense works now, please read:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat#Anti-Air_.28AA.29_Defense

Hope this helps.

 

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,022
[HYDRO]
Members
3,621 posts
5,148 battles

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know it was updated. Weird how Sims has an improved sector reinforcement time and percentage, yet Kidd lacks it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,878
[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

Yeah, we're working on getting the pages updated and running but it's a lot of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,418
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,816 posts
8,889 battles

Some things I've noticed in playtesting:

  • When planes run into flak clouds, you'll never see the listed damage in port.  It's usually only a fraction of that damage, even against unbuffed planes.
  • I've got a couple of theories as to why.  The first is that the port damage is spread out between the number of aircraft running through the cloud.
  • Another idea is that the planes have some form of damage mitigation built in (this is more likely).
  • Finally, the ship's accuracy rating may also be playing into this formula somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,684
[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,924 posts
4,385 battles

The Commanders Skills and Upgrades articles are also updated.  The ship pages have the new skills in their tables, but have not been re-prioritized.  (There's a big job.)

 

@LittleWhiteMouse Aircraft Armor skill mitigates continuous damage.  I don't recall one that mitigates flak damage.

 

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,418
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,816 posts
8,889 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

The Commanders Skills and Upgrades articles are also updated.  The ship pages have the new skills in their tables, but have not been re-prioritized.  (There's a big job.)

@LittleWhiteMouse Aircraft Armor skill mitigated continuous damage.  I don't recall one that mitigated flak damage.

I'm aware.  I wasn't running any skills, but still taking only a fraction of the damage from flak bursts in the Training Room.

Incidentally, you can avoid cruiser flak clouds almost indefinitely by simply holding down the A or D key and swooping in circles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles
29 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Some things I've noticed in playtesting:

  • When planes run into flak clouds, you'll never see the listed damage in port.  It's usually only a fraction of that damage, even against unbuffed planes.
  • I've got a couple of theories as to why.  The first is that the port damage is spread out between the number of aircraft running through the cloud.
  • Another idea is that the planes have some form of damage mitigation built in (this is more likely).
  • Finally, the ship's accuracy rating may also be playing into this formula somehow.

I think the damage numbers in port are listed as “damage per second while in flak cloud” and planes only take ~1/4-1/3 of a second to fly through the cloud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,418
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,816 posts
8,889 battles
2 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

I think the damage numbers in port are listed as “damage per second while in flak cloud” and planes only take ~1/4-1/3 of a second to fly through the cloud.

That's something else I considered which would make aircraft speed a form of armour protection.  As if Graf Zeppelin and the British CVs needed another factor which makes them better than most other carriers right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,684
[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,924 posts
4,385 battles

more bumpage.

How many didn't know about the sector reinforcement mechanism until very recently?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,372
[CAST]
Members
4,756 posts

Does Sims really have a built in Manual AA style boost? Or was that Sims actually equipping Manual AA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,684
[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,924 posts
4,385 battles

Can't tell you.  I don't have a Sims.  It does have a reputation as a bad-[edited]AA bote, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
533
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
On 2/4/2019 at 12:44 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Some things I've noticed in playtesting:

  • When planes run into flak clouds, you'll never see the listed damage in port.  It's usually only a fraction of that damage, even against unbuffed planes.
  • I've got a couple of theories as to why.  The first is that the port damage is spread out between the number of aircraft running through the cloud.
  • Another idea is that the planes have some form of damage mitigation built in (this is more likely).
  • Finally, the ship's accuracy rating may also be playing into this formula somehow.

 

I'm out of upvotes from the day, (you and lert have been farming them again in other threads. Showoffs), so take a verbal one. I've definitely seen that the amount you take from a flak burst tends to vary from what i'd expect, still a group of clouds of DFAAAA on more powerfu; aura's still tends to be a nigh one shot scenario for multiple planes.

 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:00 AM, Doomlock said:

Yeah, we're working on getting the pages updated and running but it's a lot of stuff.

 

And we appreciate it. Thanks.

 

10 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Can't tell you.  I don't have a Sims.  It does have a reputation as a bad-[edited]AA bote, though.

 

 

I'll check when i'm next in port, need more sleep for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
Members
1,164 posts
8,337 battles
On 2/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Some things I've noticed in playtesting:

  • When planes run into flak clouds, you'll never see the listed damage in port.  It's usually only a fraction of that damage, even against unbuffed planes.
  • I've got a couple of theories as to why.  The first is that the port damage is spread out between the number of aircraft running through the cloud.
  • Another idea is that the planes have some form of damage mitigation built in (this is more likely).
  • Finally, the ship's accuracy rating may also be playing into this formula somehow.

S_O explained some of the details about it on reddit.

 

Also the wiki contradicts the in game UI on a few things. The stats it gives for sims are wrong, sims has the same stats as all DD the wiki author had the MAA skill. The wiki states sector reinforcement moves both continuous and flak but the game UI only says continuous.

shot-19_02.04_06_57.33-0501.thumb.jpg.4de1ff74400a0ca2df8f00f4bf781356.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,079
[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,827 posts
7,770 battles
16 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Does Sims really have a built in Manual AA style boost? Or was that Sims actually equipping Manual AA?

Apologies, I wrote the page while being low on both caffeine and sleep, and when doing my research for the AA article I clicked through the ships in my port to see the numbers Sims obviously stood out. It didn't cross my mind that I had my AA captain on her, but I have updated the table and fixed some first errors that were also pointed out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,372
[CAST]
Members
4,756 posts
20 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Apologies, I wrote the page while being low on both caffeine and sleep, and when doing my research for the AA article I clicked through the ships in my port to see the numbers Sims obviously stood out. It didn't cross my mind that I had my AA captain on her, but I have updated the table and fixed some first errors that were also pointed out here.

Aww, damnit. Sims AA is pretty weak now. Was hoping it was a built in boost to help it out. Too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
Members
1,164 posts
8,337 battles
6 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Aww, damnit. Sims AA is pretty weak now. Was hoping it was a built in boost to help it out. Too bad.

That would be a nice special flavor for AA premiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,079
[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,827 posts
7,770 battles
8 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Aww, damnit. Sims AA is pretty weak now. Was hoping it was a built in boost to help it out. Too bad.

It was nice to believe, given how one of her fun traits was the AA which was hilarious in Operation Dynamo. But one thing Sims does have in favor of her is the lack of medium range AA. Her long range AA will engage targets at ranges as close as 2km, without any mediocre mid range AA attempting to steal the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,372
[CAST]
Members
4,756 posts
8 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

It was nice to believe, given how one of her fun traits was the AA which was hilarious in Operation Dynamo. But one thing Sims does have in favor of her is the lack of medium range AA. Her long range AA will engage targets at ranges as close as 2km, without any mediocre mid range AA attempting to steal the show.

Mixed blessing, though. Having both mid and long range AA means greater benefit from AA Mod 1. It's how Haida manages to push out 6 flak clouds (3 per range aura). Also, while long range AA is good for the reach, it's continuous damage is actually abysmal. I personally prefer medium range auras as they tend to have a good mix of flak and continuous damage.

By the way, have you noticed Z-52 now has the best base AA values of any DD in the game right now? Not sure if it's intentional, but it has a mid range continuous damage aura that's as punishing as what others can do *with DFAA*.

I hope it doesn't get nerfed. I love that ship :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
101 posts
10,529 battles

Thanks for the PSA. This helps explain AA but there’s still a lot to explore.

We were in the training room last night experimenting with different Gearing builds, trying to test BFT and AFT and DFAA. Even with controlled testing against a Saipan (aiming to test against its higher tier planes), the value of any of these was not clear.  In our limited testing, Gearing with neither skill shot down more planes than having both BFT and AFT, but the damage counter was higher with those skills  DFAA clearly increases rate of fire and dps, but didn’t prevent a carrier strike. Overall, the “AA” build was a bit disappointing.   Maybe more dps is ultimately better, but how much so? 

It would be great to hear from someone who has done more systematic testing. There are only a couple days left before free respec ends... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,079
[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,827 posts
7,770 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Mixed blessing, though. Having both mid and long range AA means greater benefit from AA Mod 1. It's how Haida manages to push out 6 flak clouds (3 per range aura). Also, while long range AA is good for the reach, it's continuous damage is actually abysmal. I personally prefer medium range auras as they tend to have a good mix of flak and continuous damage.

You have to consider that AA ranges (unfortunately) no longer overlap, and thus against a single squadron only one aura will be able to fire.

5 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

By the way, have you noticed Z-52 now has the best base AA values of any DD in the game right now? Not sure if it's intentional, but it has a mid range continuous damage aura that's as punishing as what others can do *with DFAA*.

Before Harugumo and Kitakaze came, Z-52 had the strongest raw AA of any DD in the game, although she’d loose her status once DFAA enters the calculation.

I have no doubts that her AA now continues to be strong, it‘s those ships now that can put up a formidable defense (Hatsuharu as well).

6 minutes ago, robotdaddy said:

There are only a couple days left before free respec ends... 

WG announced that a second respec period will happen, so if no answers are available now you‘ll likely have them until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,684
[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,924 posts
4,385 battles

WG said the second re-spec will occur with 0.8.2 - two months hence.  I think they should extend this one.  There it yet so much to discover.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,684
[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,924 posts
4,385 battles

Kiz has done some experimenting with the sectors and P toggle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×