You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CommodoreKang

Opt-In For Testing Button

47 comments in this topic

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles

So.  Here's a thought.

We all know that the testing servers weren't sufficient to fully test and so forth.  So, now we're having to work this stuff out in production.  I get that there was absolutely no other way that we could get this update finished up and ready to go.  But, I think many of us are at the point where we may not feel like testing such a new product.  

It occurred to me that maybe the reason why I don't feel like playing is because I feel a bit forced into the testing situation.  And, maybe...if we weren't sort of "locked-in" to this situation, perhaps we might be a bit more open to testing such new and promising gameplay.  To that end, I submit that perhaps, just during this interim testing phase, an "Opt-In To Testing" queue could be setup where the folks that are excited to test CVs could get into the action and not be dragged down by the folks who are less motivated.  

It might be a good way to "ease" new CV gameplay into the live environment while still maintaining a happy balance.

Food for thought!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 3

[_-_]
Members
2,434 posts
7,001 battles

You do realize the that chance of this is somewhat lower than finding Snoopy's flying dog house on one of Jupiter's moons, right?

• Funny 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

You do realize the that chance of this is somewhat lower than finding Snoopy's flying dog house on one of Jupiter's moons, right?

It would just be during this testing phase.  A temporary thing.  Just while some of the rougher edges get smoothed out...

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,780 posts
3,689 battles
1 hour ago, CommodoreKang said:

It would just be during this testing phase.  A temporary thing.  Just while some of the rougher edges get smoothed out...

There was several phases of beta tests, and 3 rounds of the public test. The ships have been tested and this is the final product. What happens now is simply small tweaks to help them balance and blend into the game. 

Sure the meta did a 180 and tweaks will be made, but to call this the testing phase is horribly incorrect

Edit: leave alone the fact that you would be splitting the server in half. We don't have the playerbase like WoT does.

Also, there is bound to be people who opt out of the testing process then when it goes live they get mad. We get it, you dont like the change... but it was and is both inevitable and irreversible 

Edited by _1204_
  • Funny 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
7 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

There was several phases of beta tests, and 3 rounds of the public test. The ships have been tested and this is the final product. What happens now is simply small tweaks to help them balance and blend into the game. 

Sure the meta did a 180 and tweaks will be made, but to call this the testing phase is horribly incorrect

Edit: leave alone the fact that you would be splitting the server in half. We don't have the playerbase like WoT does.

Also, there is bound to be people who opt out of the testing process then when it goes live they get mad. We get it, you dont like the change... but it was and is both inevitable and irreversible 

I mean that's fine.  I'm just pointing out a way that they could me back into testing the new CV stuff.  As it is, I have very little desire to be a tester.  Maybe if I could play the game as it was in between testing sessions, I'd be more willing to give the new stuff a fair shake.

Members
631 posts
11 battles
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

See the source image

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,977 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

I mean that's fine.  I'm just pointing out a way that they could me back into testing the new CV stuff.  As it is, I have very little desire to be a tester.  Maybe if I could play the game as it was in between testing sessions, I'd be more willing to give the new stuff a fair shake.

The only way to opt-out is to not play, or stay in T1/2.  It is your call.  

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

The only way to opt-out is to not play, or stay in T1/2.  It is your call.  

I'm opting out for the moment.  Just throwing my thoughts out there as to what might get me back into a testing frame of mind.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,977 battles
6 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

I'm opting out for the moment.  Just throwing my thoughts out there as to what might get me back into a testing frame of mind.

We get that you don't like the changes, and that it is always the player's call to play, or not to play.  That is the only real feedback you can make that might be noticed if enough people make themselves heard.  

Obviously, I do not work for WG, despite being accused of it.  IMO, they're *not* going to give anyone an opt-out button.  That would skew the numbers they're collecting to tune with.  

I suspect that the current forum is being skimmed for calm feedback that makes sense, while all the rest is ignored, because it's too fragmented to do anything about; i.e. forum is just giving context for the numbers they already have.  If it doesn't match the numbers, it's probably ignored.

Edited by mavfin87

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

We get that you don't like the changes, and that it is always the player's call to play, or not to play.  That is the only real feedback you can make that might be noticed if enough people make themselves heard.  

I suspect that the current forum is being skimmed for calm feedback that makes sense, while all the rest is ignored, because it's too fragmented to do anything about; i.e. forum is just giving context for the numbers they already have.  If it doesn't match the numbers, it's probably ignored.

Look, I'll admit that a designated testing queue may be a bit premature.  I'm just putting it out there as an option if a critical mass of players decide to opt out of testing.  Just priming the pump with ideas in case the worst case scenario begins to unfold.

[YORHA]
Members
4,363 posts
7,936 battles
15 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

And then, when the BALANCING phase is over, people would come back in and start posting about "How does all this work"?  "Someone tell me what I need to do"!  "What skills do I need".  "I can't kill anything and I keep getting torped".

How about people take this OPPORTUNITY to learn the basics of what is going on so that when the BALANCING is complete people will be that much further ahead on the curve?  You have a free re-spec and module dismount period... why not TAKE ADVANTAGE of it to experiment and become better instead of hiding in a hole and hoping everything just gets better?

Edited by JCC45

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,977 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

And then, when the BALANCING phase is over, people would come back in and start posting about "How does all this work"?  "Someone tell me what I need to do"!  "What skills do I need".  "I can't kill anything and I keep getting torped".

How about people take this OPPORTUNITY to learn the basics of what is going on so that when the BALANCING is complete people will be that much further ahead on the curve?  You have a free re-spec and module dismount period... why not TAKE ADVANTAGE of it to experiment and become better instead of hiding in a hole and hoping everything just gets better?

But, @JCC45, it's much easier to not do so, and then they can blame someone for changes you "didn't know about" or "weren't around for", rather than taking responsibility for their own actions or inactions.  Just people.  If I vote with my feet someday, I'm not going to come here and put up an "I quit!" post to get someone to validate how I feel about it.  I'll just disappear and not be seen here again.

But, then, I've never understood how people can talk about how evil and horrible and incompetent WG is, according to them, and then still keep playing their game...

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, JCC45 said:

And then, when the BALANCING phase is over, people would come back in and start posting abut "How does all this work"?  "Someone tell me what I need to do"!  "What skills do I need".  "I can't kill anything and I keep getting torped".

How about people take this OPPORTUNITY to learn the basics of what is going on so that when the BALANCING is complete people will be good that much further ahead on the curve?  You have a free re-spec and module dismount period... why not TAKE ADVANTAGE of it to experiment and become better instead of hiding in a hole and hoping everything just gets better?

I'll be honest with you.  I was getting a little jaded even before the CV update.  80% facerolls win or lose.  The three or 4 almost carries that you have to try-hard through to get the 1 winning carry.  And more often than not, that last match you decide to go ahead play is a CV game and that's the cherry on top of the crap sandwich.

The CVs aren't as bad in many ways as the old ones.  In some ways, they are better.  But it's still the same basic issue.  It's a broken class that doesn't really fit in the game.  No matter how hard they try to shoehorn it in.  If I had more confidence in their eventual success, maybe I'd be more willing to endure the pain of a beta test.  But, it's just not worth it anymore.  From my own personal perspective, ofc.  

That said.  A way to opt-in to the testing might be just the thing to get me back interested.

[SYN]
Members
293 posts
11,296 battles
22 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

There was several phases of beta tests, and 3 rounds of the public test. The ships have been tested and this is the final product.

Nope this is not the final product (the only thing final is 3d modeling/rendering/graphic design-and it was done beautifully)...if this was the final product WG would lose their a$$e$ - beta/public testing got them close but too small sample size - Real Data collection began on the live servers a week ago -  WG can clearly see whats going - 8.2 is going to bring in 1st round of balancing, lets see how that goes Lads - this forum and others have sent some clear messages concerning the health and happiness of Our Population - In game Data collection continues....

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
7 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

But, @JCC45, it's much easier to not do so, and then they can blame someone for changes you "didn't know about" or "weren't around for", rather than taking responsibility for their own actions or inactions.  Just people.  If I vote with my feet someday, I'm not going to come here and put up an "I quit!" post to get someone to validate how I feel about it.  I'll just disappear and not be seen here again.

But, then, I've never understood how people can talk about how evil and horrible and incompetent WG is, according to them, and then still keep playing their game...

Now hold on just one minute.  I take umbrage to such accusations.  This is in no way an "I quit!" post.  I've been around the block a time or two.  I know how those things work.  An "I quit" post is never an actual "I quit" post.  It's usually just an "I'm really mad right now so I'm not going to play for at least a few hours and possibly days.  I also won't post for at least a week though I'll probably check the forums a few times a day.......".  

No sir.  This post is in 100% good faith.  I've stepped away from the game many times over the years.  And I've always come back.  I'm just spitballing ideas that might hasten that process.  I'm shocked that you would accuse me of such indecent behavior!

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,977 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

Now hold on just one minute.  I take umbrage to such accusations.  This is in no way an "I quit!" post.  I've been around the block a time or two.  I know how those things work.  An "I quit" post is never an actual "I quit" post.  It's usually just an "I'm really mad right now so I'm not going to play for at least a few hours and possibly days.  I also won't post for at least a week though I'll probably check the forums a few times a day.......".  

No sir.  This post is in 100% good faith.  I've stepped away from the game many times over the years.  And I've always come back.  I'm just spitballing ideas that might hasten that process.  I'm shocked that you would accuse me of such indecent behavior!

I actually took your post in good faith.  If I had meant to accuse you of that, I would have posted that directly to you.  Believe me, I would have done so.

However, there are many others who are not posting in good faith, and they annoy the hell out of me.

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
2 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I actually took your post in good faith.  If I had meant to accuse you of that, I would have posted that directly to you.  Believe me, I would have done so.

However, there are many others who are not posting in good faith, and they annoy the hell out of me.

It's all good, my friend.  These are tumultuous times...

[YORHA]
Members
4,363 posts
7,936 battles
36 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

I'll be honest with you.  I was getting a little jaded even before the CV update.  80% facerolls win or lose.  The three or 4 almost carries that you have to try-hard through to get the 1 winning carry.  And more often than not, that last match you decide to go ahead play is a CV game and that's the cherry on top of the crap sandwich.

The CVs aren't as bad in many ways as the old ones.  In some ways, they are better.  But it's still the same basic issue.  It's a broken class that doesn't really fit in the game.  No matter how hard they try to shoehorn it in.  If I had more confidence in their eventual success, maybe I'd be more willing to endure the pain of a beta test.  But, it's just not worth it anymore.  From my own personal perspective, ofc.  

That said.  A way to opt-in to the testing might be just the thing to get me back interested.

So you don't want to help.  You want to leave the "heavy lifting" to others and then maybe come back if everything suits you.

Got it.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
4 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

So you don't want to help.  You want to leave the "heavy lifting" to others and then maybe come back if everything suits you.

Got it.

No.  I really don't want to beta test.  That's the phase where most of the exploits get ferreted out.  I'm not a CV type dude and I don't feel like being exploited.  So, that's where I'm at...

[YORHA]
Members
4,363 posts
7,936 battles
3 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

No.  I really don't want to beta test.  That's the phase where most of the exploits get ferreted out.  I'm not a CV type dude and I don't feel like being exploited.  So, that's where I'm at...

Who the hell does!  But it is a necessary part of software development. For things to get better you have to find out... accurately...what is and isn't working and the more people that participate the faster it will get done.

But I get it.  You want everyone else to do  it for you.

Decisions are made by those who show up.

Edited by JCC45

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,556 battles
Just now, JCC45 said:

Who the hell does!  But it is a necessary part of software development. For things to get better you have to find out... accurately...what is and isn't working and the more people that participate the faster it will get done.

If we're laying our cards right out on the table, I'd prefer that WG just refund the CV money to the players and say it was all a huge, enormous mistake.  That'd save everyone the pain and suffering that's sure to come.  I know that's fundamentally off the table.  But, if we're talking about want's here.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,682 posts
6,777 battles
7 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Decisions are made by those who show up.

Why are you berating someone who is clearly frustrated for not wanting to be a part of the process that was forced on them? I'm confused here. Isn't it unreasonable to force players, including those spending real money on the game, to go through this process? People are frustrated and they have every right to be, and logging out and not playing is feedback. I get that WG needs the data, but making the expectation that everyone has to log in and play a game that may be highly un-enjoyable for them strikes me as absurd.

And if your only reason for this is because people who come back after the upheaval and have to ask "what's the meta now", frankly that is beyond preposterous. Who cares?

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,363 posts
7,936 battles
1 minute ago, Brohk said:

Why are you berating someone who is clearly frustrated for not wanting to be a part of the process that was forced on them? I'm confused here. Isn't it unreasonable to force players, including those spending real money on the game, to go through this process? People are frustrated and they have every right to be, and logging out and not playing is feedback. I get that WG needs the data, but making the expectation that everyone has to log in and play a game that may be highly un-enjoyable for them strikes me as absurd.

And if your only reason for this is because people who come back after the upheaval and have to ask "what's the meta now", frankly that is beyond preposterous. Who cares?

I am not berating anyone.  I am pointing out that people are complaining about the CV rework, but they don't want to do anything to help fix it.  They just want to "opt out" and let everyone else go through it.  They want all of the advantages and none of the work.

[WOLF2]
Members
241 posts
6,260 battles
18 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

If we're laying our cards right out on the table, I'd prefer that WG just refund the CV money to the players and say it was all a huge, enormous mistake.  That'd save everyone the pain and suffering that's sure to come.  I know that's fundamentally off the table.  But, if we're talking about want's here.

I really wish that was a possibility as well.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
Members
682 posts
13,394 battles
14 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

why not TAKE ADVANTAGE of it to experiment and become better instead of hiding in a hole and hoping everything just gets better?

d067b805211ed1723f566ec8be75b1f2.jpg

Carriers are here to stay although clearly changes are on the way. I too am always confused by people asking for 'opt out buttons' or threatening to quit because they don't like carriers. If people stay, while voicing clear and coherent input, they might actually have a chance of influencing the forthcoming changes, even if just a little bit. Until the changes start rolling in I'll just sail my favorite AA boats and shoot down some planes.

• Cool 1