Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrCoffee

Thoughts on CV Update...and Autopilot is Stupid

9 comments in this topic

[-GS-]
Members
13 posts
4,120 battles

Ok....I think I have the hang of things (mostly). I really have to play more carefully. I can't rush in, and I have to recall my aircraft fairly often -- before they are shut down.

With some practice...I'm hoping that I can be a little more competent.

The big issue for me -- and one that has resulted in the death of my CV on more than one occasion -- is that the autopilot doesn't work.

Using the throttle (manually) shoots me forward.

Using the autopilot (since I have to do other things...like control aircraft) moves me backward!! My carrier does not turn!

Setting the speed, then using the autopilot, sends me backward.

Using the autopilot, then setting speed....well...my autopilot is overridden, and I shoot off in whatever direction I'm facing.

The only "safe" option right now is for me not to move, or for me to use the autopilot while facing in the direction that I'd want to go, anyway.

Any idea when this will be fixed? Kinda annoying, to say the least.

Beta Testers
308 posts
10,789 battles

Firstly, remember that you can set a series of waypoints by Shift-clicking.  Need to turn around and run away?  Specify the direction of turn by Shift-clicking!

Secondly, the programmers don't know what circumstances are making the autopilot, in your view, misbehave.  Spend some time in a Training Room and figure out what, exactly, you think should make the autopilot pull a U-turn instead of backing up.

I just spent some time steering my Saipan around a Training Room, and I can safely say that anything up to a 135-degree angle will cause the autopilot to move forwards and turn.  (180 degrees, FYI, is directly astern.)  More than that causes it to reverse.  There does not appear to be any minimum or maximum distance for this decision - just the angle.  Do you think there should be - that is, if it's more than, say, 5 km away, the autopilot should go forwards and pull a U-turn?

Here's a concrete example:

Minimap screenshot, showing a complex autopilot path through Solomon Islands.

The autopilot waypoints are D5-F5-G5, getting to the west of the island in G6, then G5 again to guarantee facing southwest, then F7 on the other side of the island.  It goes forwards to the second G5 point, then reverses to reach F7, but since the island's in the way and the collision avoidance only kicks in when you're going forwards, it backs into the island and stalls.  Should it reverse?  Maybe yes - it could divert north of the island, staying in the channel, and avoid getting into open waters.  Maybe no - it's already going forwards at G5, so pulling a left turn and diverting south of the island would let it keep the speed up.  But, and this is just one example, how does it decide?

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,476 battles

If you make sharp angle turns, your  carrier WILL go backwards. You can have up to 5 waypoints, so start your CV in a forward direction, and avoid sharply angled switchbacks, and you’ll avoid going backwards.  You need to make gradual turns to avoid going in reverse.

[824TH]
Members
54 posts

the update is just absolutely horrible. whomever thought this one up should be brought out back and caned.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
195 posts
8,785 battles

I noticed that about CV autopilot, if I program a  tight zig-zag that doubles back, it will actually stop and go in reverse.

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,476 battles

You can hit the M key even with planes in the air, to adjust your heading, or plot a new course.  Comes in handy, as I’ll re-plot my course during the game, as the map changes.

[ASHIP]
Members
69 posts
7,020 battles

I hope they let us adjust our our speed and give us more waypoints, really the problem has been there since day one when trying to use waypoints.  Has to do with the crappy turn radius of CVs, u can set a waypoint and if it cant get to it it will just circle around it continuously 

Edited by JamesZ28

[-GS-]
Members
13 posts
4,120 battles
On 2/4/2019 at 6:41 AM, Sierra1968 said:

You can hit the M key even with planes in the air, to adjust your heading, or plot a new course.  Comes in handy, as I’ll re-plot my course during the game, as the map changes.

I've definitely had to do this. 

Sign in to follow this