Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

There Horrible Meta is inevitable

18 comments in this topic

Members
895 posts
1,286 battles

This rework is still new, so everyone at the moment for most part is just trying it out and people are still trying to play as they normally did. Not all the CV players have adapted yet, so there are still plenty of matches with them very low on the scoreboard. But with this new system, I can only see one meta developing: giant lemming balls. With these new CVs that can attack up to 3 times with each squad, with unlimited planes, and multiple per team now, the only way to stay safe is for everyone to sail right next to each other in a big balls. I just played a match on Sleeping Giant in my Des (with DFAA). Most of the team went East, but at the start of the match, I could see the red team I was doing the same, so I hard pushed the A cap with a friendly DD and took it, and then started moving in to flank the reds from the West. But then both their CVs decided to focus me, and didn't stop until I was dead. Before, I would have been fine in a Des with DFAA and none of my AA guns destroyed. A CV wouldn't want to throw away their limited planes by rushing me with everything they had. But now there is no consequence, so any ship that isn't part of the giant lemming ball will be focused by the CVs. This really limits the tactical position aspects that this game once had and was really fun and rewarding when pulled off. But in the state that the game is in now, that kind of play will be made obsolete. Everyone must group up and push together and camp or slug it out. In my opinion, this will lead to the most boring and stale type of gameplay we could ask for. I think it's a lost cause to be one of the hopefuls asking WG to revert the changes made to CVs, but I'm really not having fun in these matches (except in the ones where both teams' CVs are horrible and play little factor into the match). As of now, I guess I'll be playing Ranked almost exclusively. I really wish you kept Sea Wolves league. I know you said it was too lowly populated, but I think you'd find things different this time around with Ranked being a refuge from your rework. After that though, I don't know. I don't have the same will to play this game.

There are people posting saying "play DDs, play all ship types, WG needs the data from us!" That's not how things work. When a company breaks its game, players don't slog through it having a bad time for the sake of giving the company data to they can recalibrate it. Players just stop playing.

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[SAA]
Members
249 posts
4,508 battles
7 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

There are people posting saying "play DDs, play all ship types, WG needs the data from us!" That's not how things work. When a company breaks its game, players don't slog through it having a bad time for the sake of giving the company data to they can recalibrate it. Players just stop playing.

Today was the first day in several months that I didn't play a single game.

My wife would like to thank WG.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
9 posts
1,994 battles
4 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Today was the first day in several months that I didn't play a single game.

My wife would like to thank WG.

hahahaha! yea. unfort my wife plays wows too. she aint gonna be happy either when she sees this turd they trying to pass off as a diamond.

[WOLF2]
Members
240 posts
6,238 battles

I loaded the game up a little while ago, looked at my ships and logged off. 

I actually like playing the new CVs, but what really interested me about WoWs was the strategy -- smart moves at the right time for maximum impact on the battle. Now that so much of what I'd learned became largely irrelevant overnight and the meta seems to currently be a state of confusion, I just can't get excited enough to actually play...and it just sucks. Clan mates aren't playing much either, moving on to other games. It's a real shame because I absolutely love this game; on the surface it seems simple but it's so deceptively complex that it really ropes you in...but now I'm just waiting to hear what further changes are going to occur before I invest time in learning the new meta.

Members
895 posts
1,286 battles
6 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

I actually like playing the new CVs, but what really interested me about WoWs was the strategy -- smart moves at the right time for maximum impact on the battle.

Exactly- that's been removed from the game. All positions and advances are known and there's no escaping it. There's a meta I've been seeing developing from the Midways; they don't really use torp bombers or dive bombers, they just use attack planes and spam fires on you over and over and over. Those planes reload fast and are the fastest moving planes of the 3.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,848 posts
17,412 battles
9 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Exactly- that's been removed from the game. All positions and advances are known and there's no escaping it. There's a meta I've been seeing developing from the Midways; they don't really use torp bombers or dive bombers, they just use attack planes and spam fires on you over and over and over. Those planes reload fast and are the fastest moving planes of the 3.

And this after they promised no rockets in the game …. oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Members
1,265 posts
2,399 battles

A bit of a conspiratorial thought but i wonder if this new turn of events is how WG will justify having those missile DDs that were supposed to be part of the 3rd russian line?

[TIGRB]
Members
666 posts
15,111 battles
1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

This rework is still new, so everyone at the moment for most part is just trying it out and people are still trying to play as they normally did. Not all the CV players have adapted yet, so there are still plenty of matches with them very low on the scoreboard. But with this new system, I can only see one meta developing: giant lemming balls. With these new CVs that can attack up to 3 times with each squad, with unlimited planes, and multiple per team now, the only way to stay safe is for everyone to sail right next to each other in a big balls. I just played a match on Sleeping Giant in my Des (with DFAA). Most of the team went East, but at the start of the match, I could see the red team I was doing the same, so I hard pushed the A cap with a friendly DD and took it, and then started moving in to flank the reds from the West. But then both their CVs decided to focus me, and didn't stop until I was dead. Before, I would have been fine in a Des with DFAA and none of my AA guns destroyed. A CV wouldn't want to throw away their limited planes by rushing me with everything they had. But now there is no consequence, so any ship that isn't part of the giant lemming ball will be focused by the CVs. This really limits the tactical position aspects that this game once had and was really fun and rewarding when pulled off. But in the state that the game is in now, that kind of play will be made obsolete. Everyone must group up and push together and camp or slug it out. In my opinion, this will lead to the most boring and stale type of gameplay we could ask for. I think it's a lost cause to be one of the hopefuls asking WG to revert the changes made to CVs, but I'm really not having fun in these matches (except in the ones where both teams' CVs are horrible and play little factor into the match). As of now, I guess I'll be playing Ranked almost exclusively. I really wish you kept Sea Wolves league. I know you said it was too lowly populated, but I think you'd find things different this time around with Ranked being a refuge from your rework. After that though, I don't know. I don't have the same will to play this game.

Well Said. 

Members
895 posts
1,286 battles
12 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

A bit of a conspiratorial thought but i wonder if this new turn of events is how WG will justify having those missile DDs that were supposed to be part of the 3rd russian line?

I wasn't aware of this. They are adding DDs that launch missiles?

Members
1,265 posts
2,399 battles
11 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I wasn't aware of this. They are adding DDs that launch missiles?

There was talk of a 3rd line that irl was a class of missle equipped DDs. I think they even modeled some of them. Havent heard much since but there was a uproar at the time due to worries about WG trying to sneak missile equipped ships in the game.

[_-_]
Members
2,382 posts
6,953 battles
11 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Don't. Even. Go. There. :Smile_sceptic:

[SAA]
Members
249 posts
4,508 battles
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Don't. Even. Go. There. :Smile_sceptic:

don't have to.  WG went there for us.  Looking forward to CAG-1 and/or CAG-2.  The RIM-2 would make a nice AA counter....and RIM-8 for ships too.  Maybe at TX some W30's could be added to the mix.  I think the console crowd would be quite interesting in glass producing warships when Legends comes out.

Members
2,255 posts
13 hours ago, HTSMetal said:

I loaded the game up a little while ago, looked at my ships and logged off. 

I actually like playing the new CVs, but what really interested me about WoWs was the strategy -- smart moves at the right time for maximum impact on the battle. Now that so much of what I'd learned became largely irrelevant overnight and the meta seems to currently be a state of confusion, I just can't get excited enough to actually play...and it just sucks. Clan mates aren't playing much either, moving on to other games. It's a real shame because I absolutely love this game; on the surface it seems simple but it's so deceptively complex that it really ropes you in...but now I'm just waiting to hear what further changes are going to occur before I invest time in learning the new meta.

Yeah, I have to force myself to play this game now.

I loved the strategy and the slower paced game play. But that is ruined now by unlimited spam of planes. I was never into lemming trains. I always like holding the flanks and testing my skill... Now you can't do that any more.

Glad I didn't spend much in 2018 and didn't buy any Santa boxes either. I always feel so heart broken when dev's screw up a game I love.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
14 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Good post here.

[5IN]
Supertester
2,045 posts
9,652 battles
18 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

. I always feel so heart broken when dev's screw up a game I love.

My sentiments as well.  I'm not done, but it isn't as enjoyable as before and my urge to play is strongly diminished.  

B

[QQ7]
Members
478 posts
3,541 battles

In my opinion, this new CV rework promotes brain-dead gameplay. 

By that I mean anyone (Even myself who's never touched a CV) can play them now. There's absolutely no learning curve whatsoever. (And please don't try to argue with me and say there is cause there isn't.) 

People got to ask themselves this. "Howcome there's still a learning curve to the other lines such as BBs, DDs and Cruisers, but none for the CV?" It's because people complained about the old CVs being "Extremely hard"

That was the whole point. There's always a learning curve in anything you do in life, outside the game or inside the game.  Once you get the hang of it, you get rewarded greatly. What happened to feeling that sense of pride of learning something that was meant to be hard? All that was thrown out the window when the CVs were re-done. Plain and simple.

I understand that it's only been a few days since the patch, but honestly, I'm not having fun in any shape or form. I'm basically forcing myself to play so I can rack up elite XP to up my commanders that aren't 19 pointers for the next CB season. I'm quite frustrated with the fact that a T10 CV can launch multiple attacks on me without having any sort of chance to defend myself. My Republique used to have an AA Rating of 100 cause I had a full secondary build and AA. Now it's basically useless at 83. Honestly, they should've left the AA Mechanics alone. The only way I can get any sort of defense is by hanging with aa cruisers all the time. I got no time to be messing with this stupid sector [edited] cause if I'm engaging ships, got no time. Besides, planes move at every direction so what's the purpose of that?

A Hak was able to launch 5 waves of torps at me and I always get hit no matter what. I hardly have any window of time to try and dodge them. That needs to be fixed is the 110% accuracy of torpedoes from torp planes is ridiculous . Some of you have experienced the same thing and it's extremely annoying and frustrating.

One more thing, there is basically no such thing as concealment anymore. I've read multiple topics on here from people complaining about it and I agree with them. It was an unnecessary change to nerf the concealment and since if there are 2 CV's on one side, you basically kiss your concealment goodbye. Being spotted 110% of the time is just insane and no fun and can't think of any strategy of my own for that battle and just get plastered. Nobody asked for concealment to be changed because it didn't need to be changed but ofc, WG decided "Oh let's just mess with concealment even though nobody asked for it."

If you basically read this and try and say "uninstall the game if you feel that way" or "stop crying and deal with it" Please don't even go there cause at some point you're going to do the same thing so, save yourself from hypocrisy. 

Edited by DevilFreak_

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

CVs gameplay/interface might be new, but their impact into battles is nothing new. 

Even before the rework, CVs always forced a slow/passive gameplay. CVs were always good at punishing agressive plays and ships that rely on concealment. 

[SYN]
Members
5,335 posts
12,615 battles

The thing I'm not a fan of now is the ridiculous amount of plane spam when there are two Tier X carriers per team.

Last night I had a match in the Montana where, even as part of a 4-ship group, I accumulated more than 80,000 damage points on planes (while only shooting down 17 planes outright).  Actually did more damage to planes than ships that match because I was too busy WASD'ing to shoot at anything else.  For literally the entire match both CVs kept sending rocket, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers to my group.  Fortunately I only took two torpedo hits, a couple of rocket attacks, and one dive bomber attack, but the non-stop attention was infuriating.  Our team won, but the last ship surviving on the opposing team was one of the carriers and, of course, planes just kept coming until the clock ran out.

Before, CVs had to take a measured approach in handling their planes.  Now, there seems to be little consequence for just straightlining planes to a chosen target.  Just keep spawning more planes and keep doing it over and over...

Edited by Kuckoo

Sign in to follow this