You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tagline61

Infamous blunders in marketing & development history...

30 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
28 posts
19,544 battles

In History not all new innovations have turned out as intended. 

On April 23rd, 1985 Coca-Cola made a decision that went down in infamy.

Coca-Cola changed their recipe to "New Coke" which touched off loyal customer anger that was of legend.

79 days later on July 11th, 1985 Coca-Cola decided to resume making Coke Classic due to customer complaints but yet to also continue to make "New Coke".

At a later date "New Coke" was renamed Coke II.

Coke II is no longer sold in the US due to lack of customer interest.

Marketing & development at Coca-Cola overthought a situation that could have lead to their demise & corrected it hence forth.

Coca-Cola brought back their original CV's....err.... I mean Original Coke.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,455 posts
22,932 battles
10 minutes ago, Tagline61 said:

Coca-Cola changed their recipe to "New Coke" which touched off loyal customer anger that was of legend.

79 days later on July 11th, 1985 Coca-Cola decided to resume making Coke Classic due to customer complaints but yet to also continue to make "New Coke".

Marketing & development at Coca-Cola overthought a situation that could have lead to their demise & corrected it hence forth.

Not really. The real target was shelf space in supermarkets. There is a firce battle between the big companies about every square foot of space. Coke was a kind of winner, since they force the markets to give some space for the new and the classic coke. 

Marketing 101

[90TH]
Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles

Nice one. The one that I think matches this move was RJR back in the 1980s "reworked" their cigarettes. They called this new cigarette The Premier. It was supposed to have all sorts of upgrades, including being smokeless and more healthy. The problem is that the draw was awful and it smelled/tasted like feces. Their QA could not turn the executives' decision to release this product out and RJR was lambasted for it, losing market share. This cost RJR over 1 billion in 1980s dollars. Not long after that the RJR Nabisco underwent an LBO and was broken up. Perhaps one of the greatest nosedives in recent bluechip company history.

Members
819 posts
13,603 battles

My favorite was the fat free chips with Olestra.

People tried to discuss them clinically by referring to the "rectal seepage" the chips caused.

Sounds much more clinical than explosive diarrhea.

Members
33 posts
17,437 battles

Not gonna happen here, they would have to acknowledge the unhappiness this caused and have to point to themselves.  Their intention I'm sure was admirable, but the result is demoralizing.  The only complaint I had with the "old cv system" was the rediculous imbalance of US vs. Japanese CVs, and the pointless playing of T8 CVs in a T10 battle. 

Did anyone notice fewer and fewer people playing DDs?  I know stopped....

[RLGN]
Members
11,699 posts
20,690 battles
6 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I hope that you enjoy disappointment.

Carrier and game population as a whole would have to take a pretty hard core nose dive for WG to ever even admit internally there was a mistake.

2 minutes ago, blimp66 said:

Did anyone notice fewer and fewer people playing DDs?  I know stopped....

Took out my T61 for my normal five games minimum in PvP, (to get a feel for it and all that,) and there were two destroyers in two games, and one, (me,) in the other three.

The only game that was anywhere close to normal for me was a game where there actually wasn't any carriers.

Usual complaints; carriers not attacking anything else, spent the whole game trying not to be noticed by the carrier.

In one game on Trident the team wasn't a bunch of mashed potatoes, made a plan in chat, 'B-C,' actually followed through on the choice, and swept the Reds. I survived, but don't think I did much.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,012 posts
16,043 battles
49 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Not really. The real target was shelf space in supermarkets. There is a firce battle between the big companies about every square foot of space. Coke was a kind of winner, since they force the markets to give some space for the new and the classic coke. 

Marketing 101

The winner was Pepsi obviously,

Unfortunately for Pepsi, Coke executives realized their mistake and fixed it 

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,861 posts
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Carrier and game population as a whole would have to take a pretty hard core nose dive for WG to ever even admit internally there was a mistake.

Took out my T61 for my normal five games minimum in PvP, (to get a feel for it and all that,) and there were two destroyers in two games, and one, (me,) in the other three.

The only game that was anywhere close to normal for me was a game where there actually wasn't any carriers.

Usual complaints; carriers not attacking anything else, spent the whole game trying not to be noticed by the carrier.

In one game on Trident the team wasn't a bunch of mashed potatoes, made a plan in chat, 'B-C,' actually followed through on the choice, and swept the Reds. I survived, but don't think I did much.

I've stopped playing. Haven't pushed battle since Wednesday. Will probably play today sometime to try and work out new DD tactics, but my heart isn't in it

[WOLF2]
Members
4,012 posts
16,043 battles
21 minutes ago, Prothall said:

People tried to discuss them clinically by referring to the "rectal seepage" the chips caused.

OMG lol,

That's hilarious

Sounds like Chipotle or almost any Cruise Ship Co. norovirus announcement

Edited by Commander_367

Members
439 posts
5,304 battles
29 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Marketing 101

Shelf space? lmbo. OK yeah marketing dept, you know what we need more shelf space. lol GREAT IDEA you need a raise. 

Edited by Steeler_Nation_USA

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,455 posts
22,932 battles
5 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

Shelf space? lmbo. OK yeah marketing dept, you know what we need more shelf space. lol GREAT IDEA you need a raise. 

Well, was a case in my marketing books.

Guess most never thought about the problem of limited shelf space in a supermarket and the effort that companies make to claim more for their products. 

Not every defeat is a real one. 

[WOLF2]
Members
563 posts
14,470 battles
47 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

That may have been the case if they hadn’t stopped making the old version of Coca Cola.  But they did.  The reason they changed (that I always heard) was that their 99 year patent was about to run out on the original formula and would have gone into public domain.  So everyone could make an exact copy of Coca Cola and all they would have had left was the name itself.  The new formula was such a disaster that they had to scramble to make Coca Cola Classic with a different formulation than the original in less than 3 months that tasted very similar to the original and get it on the shelves.   Basically they changed from using cane sugar as the sweetener and started using corn syrup.  I was in my 20s when all this went down.....Coca Cola Classic does taste a lot like original coke did....but it isnt quite the same.  

Edited by RumpledSteelskins

[WOLF2]
Members
563 posts
14,470 battles

I can add this....living in Houston there are a lot of taco trucks around here that sell Coke from Mexico.  It’s still in the tall fluted glass bottles but it’s all in Spanish, and it is original Coca Cola.  It tastes different from Classic.

Edited by RumpledSteelskins

[NMKJT]
Members
3,861 posts
5 minutes ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

That may have been the case if they hadn’t stopped making the old version of Coca Cola.  But they did.  The reason they changed (that I always heard) was that their 99 year patent was about to run out on the original formula and would have gone into public domain.  So everyone could make an exact copy of Coca Cola and all they would have had left was the name itself.  The new formula was such a disaster that they had to scramble to make Coca Cola Classic with a different formulation than the original in less than 3 months that tasted very similar to the original and get it on the shelves.   Basically they changed from using cane sugar as the sweetener and started using corn syrup.  I was in my 20s when all this went down.....Coca Cola Classic does taste a lot like original coke did....but it isnt quite the same.  

I worked in corporate retailed grocery. It's not ever the case. Coke, you get these 20 feet. Pepsi, you get these 20 feet. Come in and arrange your shelves as you please is more like it

[WOLF2]
Members
4,012 posts
16,043 battles
39 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Guess most never thought about the problem of limited shelf space in a supermarket and the effort that companies make to claim more for their products. 

From what I read, 

If Coke had not reversed course they would have had real trouble - Pepsi sales jumped 14%

Over time the new formula only amounted to 3% of sales, most people preferring the "Classic" version - Any shelf space given to one would be at the expense of the other

Afterwards, any added shelf space that should have gone to Coke II probably went to Cherry Coke, a product that did not take away from original sales and was better received

If shelf space was the target designed to creates sales, Coke II was an obvious failure 

Edited by Commander_367
Error

[WOLF2]
Members
563 posts
14,470 battles
6 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I worked in corporate retailed grocery. It's not ever the case. Coke, you get these 20 feet. Pepsi, you get these 20 feet. Come in and arrange your shelves as you please is more like it

That actually makes sense because every grocery store I’ve been in,  all the same companies products are all in the same section of shelves.....Coke, Sprite, Barq’s root beer, Mister Pibb is all together.  Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist is all together, etc, etc.  

[NMKJT]
Members
3,861 posts
21 minutes ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

That actually makes sense because every grocery store I’ve been in,  all the same companies products are all in the same section of shelves.....Coke, Sprite, Barq’s root beer, Mister Pibb is all together.  Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist is all together, etc, etc.  

And if you notice it is the manufacturer's people who stock the shelves. These are what are called DSD items. Direct Store Delivery. They never go through the warehouses

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

My Uncle retired from Coke as a salesman...He won't even TALK about that time in history, LOL.

He couldn't sell that stuff to ANYONE. 

If it went on for much longer he would have been out of a job. That is his opinion anyway... 

[XBRTC]
Members
2,902 posts
9,364 battles
17 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

My Uncle retired from Coke as a salesman...He won't even TALK about that time in history, LOL.

He couldn't sell that stuff to ANYONE. 

If it went on for much longer he would have been out of a job. That is his opinion anyway... 

Just so you know, I'm stealing your profile pic. It's too perfect right now. It needs to spread.

• Funny 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles
1 minute ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Just so you know, I'm stealing your profile pic. It's too perfect right now. It needs to spread.

LOL... No problem. 

I'm gonna get banned for being a trouble maker, I can feel it... Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. 

[PVE]
Members
8,549 posts
21,846 battles
3 hours ago, Prothall said:

LOL "anal leakage", I remember that! I never tried one of those chips it just sounded awful. When you have a side effect like that, it is best not to market the product since you will be the "butt" of jokes. 

It is unfortunate that the carrier rework did not give the RTS CV players a concession. IMHO they should have added an "auto attack" feature like they had before. It wasn't particularly good, but it automated the planes which are essentially ordinance anyways. This allowed you to focus on other things like sailing your boat and using other aircraft. By not including this one feature, the rework has driven me away from the class for good. Just find the new style of play boring and a bit nauseating. I really hate losing control of my boat, really a silly decision from a clueless and out of touch group of people. 

[BASIN]
Members
3,196 posts
5 hours ago, Tagline61 said:

:Smile_great:

4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Marketing 101

4 hours ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

4 hours ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

3 hours ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

>>-->>>I can add this....living in Houston there are a lot of taco trucks around here that sell Coke from Mexico.  It’s still in the tall fluted glass bottles but it’s all in Spanish, and it is original Coca Cola.  It tastes different from Classic.<<<--<<:Smile_medal:

:Smile_great:And the reason The stuff  from South of the Border tastes different for he most part they still use Real Sugar(after they stopped using real sugar one of the Coke  Exec's claimed it made no difference whether they used corn syrup or sugar sugar is sugar And That's A Lie  as any Cook can and will tell you:Smile_facepalm:) Now a while back Pepsi  and a few of the other soft drink company's  talked about a version where they went back to using real sugar,

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,012 posts
16,043 battles
On 2/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, shadowsrmine said:

And the reason The stuff  from South of the Border tastes different for he most part they still use Real Sugar(after they stopped using real sugar one of the Coke  Exec's claimed it made no difference whether they used corn syrup or sugar sugar is sugar And That's A Lie  as any Cook can and will tell you:Smile_facepalm:) Now a while back Pepsi  and a few of the other soft drink company's  talked about a version where they went back to using real sugar,

Corn syrup is cheaper - that's all you need to know 

[BASIN]
Members
3,196 posts
On 2/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, Commander_367 said:

Corn syrup is cheaper - that's all you need to know 

:Smile_great:Cheaper Yes!................................................Better Tasting NO!:Smile_facepalm:    And that's the whole point:cap_wander_2: If it  Doesn't Taste Good why would you ever wanna Buy And Drink It?!?!?!?:cap_cool:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1