You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

Name the ship that is working for you in 8.0

23 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
177 posts
6,345 battles

A bit surprised how well the Charles Martel is doing. Got rid of concealment (useless anyways) and Buffed my 12 point captain for AA. Used my two spare pts and took EM to make the fast turrets faster and then AR for even faster reloads.  My impression is that the game as it is right now is mostly a lot of long range gunnery sparring and this is a good ship for that. Very good range on its guns with fast reload for 8 inch guns, and with the speed boost (always spend some coal and buy the engine boot modifier for any French ship) she can boogie at 40 knots which really makes it hard to hit her. Not a great cap boat or brawler but can really deal the damage at range-even against higher tiered ships. 

Not to happy with the Cleveland. My first radar ship and only had it on a few runs, but without dds to kill radar is a lot less useful. Tried out spotter instead but the guns just have no velocity at range and it is hard to hit anything. AA is good and useful but tier 8 ship typically are fighting tier IX and X ships the range of the guns are a real problem. I have a hard time making the ship useful to my team. 

Texas works because Tier V almost always has two CVs  and it's AA is good enough to keep the flies off. Plus DDs are the real enemy for Texas and they are scarce these days. Once again forget concealment and find something useful for the 4 extra captain points. 

Let us know what is working for you.  You can whine on another thread. Just try to be helpful here. 

[INTEL]
Members
11,046 posts
30,988 battles

Yugumo. I am playing it in Ranked, because I am avoiding the 2-CV idiocy of Randoms right now. 

[WOLF2]
Members
289 posts
15,994 battles

Harugumo if you wanna play a tier 10 battle, Conq seems doing fine

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,118 posts
12,359 battles

I have been focusing on the CV's while everything settles down and the Hosho, Ryujo, and Ranger are what I am doing well in and I am enjoying the new CV's. I am enjoying them where before I found CV's to be more like work that I like for something I do for entertainment.

[SIM]
Members
4,003 posts
6,751 battles

Irian, Black, Anshan, Enterprise, Kaga, with the Saipan being hit or miss.

[TIGRB]
Members
666 posts
15,123 battles

USS Dallas, Tier 6. 14pt Captain With good AA. Most times CV's Don't come near me Much when I play it. Flint Also Very Good. HMS Hood Great AA for me So Fasr

[SFROG]
Members
17 posts
4,460 battles

TBH, Neptune's AA is no joke. Sometimes, even Midway's will only get one strike off in a reinforced sector.

Yubari is also a dream. She shreds planes at low tiers. 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
467 posts
4,462 battles
  • Kaga.  Always has something new to teach me.
  • Massachusetts.  Still reliable as always.    

Members
6,582 posts
6,926 battles

Uh... [insert random T2 ship, I guess]. Maybe I'll find one I really love.

5 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

Emden

Good suggestion. She was downright heroic in WWI.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,086 battles

Alabama. Enough AA to keep myself alive. Amazing Sigma to hit targets that are static. The one good thing about this meta we've got now is I've gotten in a lot of practice doing 20KM shots.

[TDRB]
Members
3,153 posts
9,541 battles

A bit surprised how well the Charles Martel is doing. Got rid of concealment (useless anyways) and Buffed my 12 point captain for AA.

These types of comments concern me. The ship was modified to face a single threat, aircraft. Maybe the Charles Martel did not loose anything when if faces other combat but what about all the other ships? If most ships need to spec AA builds to have a chance against planes then there is a serious balancing issue. Finding a ship with a commander build that works does not mean there are no problems.

Remember DD, cruisers & BB's all place themselves in harms way to do battle. CV's do not. In the year I've played this game one of the constant complaints has been hidden enemy attacking your ship with no way to inflict damage on your attacker. CV's are designed for that purpose.

We should look at the whole picture, not just bits & pieces nor should be seek work arounds. By work arounds I am referring to finding something that works only with a few ships as all will face air attacks.

Edited by kgh52

[SOV]
Members
2,934 posts
2 hours ago, handybilly said:

A bit surprised how well the Charles Martel is doing. Got rid of concealment (useless anyways) and Buffed my 12 point captain for AA. Used my two spare pts and took EM to make the fast turrets faster and then AR for even faster reloads.  My impression is that the game as it is right now is mostly a lot of long range gunnery sparring and this is a good ship for that. Very good range on its guns with fast reload for 8 inch guns, and with the speed boost (always spend some coal and buy the engine boot modifier for any French ship) she can boogie at 40 knots which really makes it hard to hit her. Not a great cap boat or brawler but can really deal the damage at range-even against higher tiered ships. 

Not to happy with the Cleveland. My first radar ship and only had it on a few runs, but without dds to kill radar is a lot less useful. Tried out spotter instead but the guns just have no velocity at range and it is hard to hit anything. AA is good and useful but tier 8 ship typically are fighting tier IX and X ships the range of the guns are a real problem. I have a hard time making the ship useful to my team. 

Texas works because Tier V almost always has two CVs  and it's AA is good enough to keep the flies off. Plus DDs are the real enemy for Texas and they are scarce these days. Once again forget concealment and find something useful for the 4 extra captain points. 

Let us know what is working for you.  You can whine on another thread. Just try to be helpful here. 

The whole French line are strong

Members
2,760 posts
10,734 battles
2 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Irian, Black, Anshan, Enterprise, Kaga, with the Saipan being hit or miss.

Strange, I find Saipan to be more reliable than Kaga.  While both do great when top tier, in T10 battles with the best AA on the map Saipan squadrons are doing better for me compared to Kaga squadrons.

[SIM]
Members
4,003 posts
6,751 battles
11 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Strange, I find Saipan to be more reliable than Kaga.  While both do great when top tier, in T10 battles with the best AA on the map Saipan squadrons are doing better for me compared to Kaga squadrons.

Yeah, I'm the opposite. Thus far, Kaga and Enterprise have been a lot more comfortable for me than Saipan. I do have my best CV game post 0.8.0 in the Saipan (almost 90k damage, two kills), but most of them are kind of poor. Something about her torpedo drop just isn't clicking with me, for whatever reason.

Members
2,760 posts
10,734 battles
38 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Yeah, I'm the opposite. Thus far, Kaga and Enterprise have been a lot more comfortable for me than Saipan. I do have my best CV game post 0.8.0 in the Saipan (almost 90k damage, two kills), but most of them are kind of poor. Something about her torpedo drop just isn't clicking with me, for whatever reason.

Well, two things about Saipan.  Thing one: if you drop early (usually while turning sharp) you can get extra wide spread were two torps will go all the way left and two torps will go all the way right.  It could very very advantageous if you actually want two of those torps to “hit around the corner”.  Thing two: if you time a long steady approach (this can work over the island) you can drop torps in a very tight spread, right next to each other.  Works on large stationary targets as well, but very succeptable to AA flak.  Kaga has an easier but more predictable drop.  I mean people don’t expect for torps to hit them under sharp angle from the vector where bombers are coming.

Edited by Ramsalot
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,239 posts
6,085 battles

ranger looks fine,it's only the torp drop pattern and rng on the rockets that makes me sick.

[A-CUP]
Members
890 posts
6,831 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

These types of comments concern me. The ship was modified to face a single threat, aircraft. Maybe the Charles Martel did not loose anything when if faces other combat but what about all the other ships? If most ships need to spec AA builds to have a chance against planes then there is a serious balancing issue. Finding a ship with a commander build that works does not mean there are no problems.

Remember DD, cruisers & BB's all place themselves in harms way to do battle. CV's do not. In the year I've played this game one of the constant complaints has been hidden enemy attacking your ship with no way to inflict damage on your attacker. CV's are designed for that purpose.

We should look at the whole picture, not just bits & pieces nor should be seek work arounds. By work arounds I am referring to finding something that works only with a few ships as all will face air attacks.

The basic premise of this thread, identifying a single ship that "works in 0.8.0", implies that most ships DON'T work.

The big picture is that CVs are maintaining spotting utility when they should have none with the inability to be properly deplaned, and that the previous AA system worked better than this because it allowed you to actually fry planes reliably for your TEAM (not just yourself).

[NSEW]
Members
1,382 posts
9,591 battles

Any ships from Tiers 1-4. All those eightxiteers (0.8.0.) can go cry there, in peace. Whilst the more advanced tiers can be test subjects as remainers of the game.

(yes, it's a Brexit pun in there some where)

[TDRB]
Members
3,153 posts
9,541 battles
3 hours ago, NATOMarksman said:

The basic premise of this thread, identifying a single ship that "works in 0.8.0", implies that most ships DON'T work.

The big picture is that CVs are maintaining spotting utility when they should have none with the inability to be properly deplaned, and that the previous AA system worked better than this because it allowed you to actually fry planes reliably for your TEAM (not just yourself).

It implies "you can make it work" which is the reason I made my comments.

[GLF]
Beta Testers
663 posts
12,766 battles

Yubari, Krazy Kreme, N-Berg and Huang-He