You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AtlanticRim

I Got The Des Moines!

35 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles

So, after a year and a half of playing WoWS, I finally got the Des Moines, my first ever Tier X! I've gotten a lot better compared to when I started at the humble Erie, the second ship I ever played. I'm so glad I got done grinding through Buffalo, and I think I have finally got the hang of the game.

I'll leave you all with a picture of her:

FirstTimeWDesMoines.thumb.png.78bb8589b6678b8da9926257199e6e1c.png

• Cool 10

[KRAK]
Members
3,142 posts
18,437 battles
9 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

So, after a year and a half of playing WoWS, I finally got the Des Moines, my first ever Tier X! I've gotten a lot better compared to when I started at the humble Erie, the second ship I ever played. I'm so glad I got done grinding through Buffalo, and I think I have finally got the hang of the game.

Congratulations it is a great boat except her AA is absolutely horrible now since 8.0 dropped. Used to be an AA god but now it is just terrible.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,769 posts
15,546 battles

Nice! Your first T10 is always a memorable occasion. One that you're sure to always remember.

Mine was - ...

uh ...

Hmmm ...

Spoiler

Just kidding, it was Yamato.

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles
2 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Used to be an AA god but now it is just terrible.

I didn't go for an AA build for this reason. Too many unknowns right now to decide. I went for a gun build with some AA reinforcement.

3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nice! Your first T10 is always a memorable occasion. One that you're sure to always remember.

Yeah, I'll always remember the DM as my first Tier X.

Next up, Worcester. I just have to finish grinding the Cleveland, save up millions of credits and thousands of Free XP again...

Yeah, no. I'm better just playing Des Moines and Charleston for a while. Worcester can wait (only for a bit, though).

Members
919 posts
3,994 battles

Congrats! Des Moines might take some time to play but if you can play other American Heavy Cruisers, it's an absolute joy to play.

[FMCPO]
Members
64 posts
5,604 battles
14 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

Congrats!!! :Smile_medal:

I got the Des Moines last night too. 

Feels good.

[CHASE]
Members
4,574 posts
12,370 battles

Congrats. It was my first tier 10. Just got the Worchester today myself to add my 4th US tier 10 and my 8th tier 10 over all.

[-ZF-]
Beta Testers
3,301 posts
4,941 battles

It plays nothing like the buffalo, but thats ok because its so much better.

just remember OP, use your AP, its pretty magic. hindenberg turns into a floating citadel at 16km

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
9,775 posts
14 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

Congrats. Start grinding out the Legendary Module -- it's well worth it and you really will enjoy having it.

Here is how I have mine spec'd out. I went for slightly less AA and more tankiness plus the ability to spot torpedoes better. Superintendent plus premium consumables are important for extra radars and heals. In the new CV meta I'm taking Defensive AA versus Hydro-acoustic Search, which is why Vigilance is good for detecting the torps.

image.thumb.png.041c72850d80e5d6b393386cc59cee72.png

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Here is how I have mine spec'd out.

I went a bit different. I got Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Jack of All Trades, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, and Advanced Firing Training, with Concealment Expert and Preventative Main. left to go.

I may change it with the free captain respec's going on. I might switch out Adrenaline Rush for something else, as the DMs reload is really good compared to the rest of the line.

Oh yeah, I'm for sure going after that Legendary Module. With it and the Propulsion Mod I equipped, I can accelerate extremely fast.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
631 posts
3,576 battles

Congrats! I just got my first tier 10(Salem) a few weeks ago. DM is a great ship(I know because it is very similar to Salem) and if you do a gun boat build, it is a lot of fun.

Members
631 posts
11 battles
15 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

3 minutes ago, Leopard_IX said:

Congrats! I just got my first tier 10(Salem) a few weeks ago. DM is a great ship(I know because it is very similar to Salem) and if you do a gun boat build, it is a lot of fun.

Please watch this guy play the Des Moines/Salem, it changed everything concerning how I play cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cat+on+board

• Cool 1

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,640 posts
1,038 battles
16 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

Congrats on getting the DM! Enjoy!

[-TD-]
Members
752 posts
1,683 battles

Congrats and + 1 for positivity that is really needed right now 

Edited by Schnitchelkid01_

[SYN]
Members
631 posts
3,576 battles
17 minutes ago, Excuse_Maker said:

Please watch this guy play the Des Moines/Salem, it changed everything concerning how I play cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cat+on+board

Now that's the amount of damage that make the DM and Salem such great ships.

Edited by Leopard_IX

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,017 posts
4,388 battles
15 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

Yeah, no. I'm better just playing Des Moines and Charleston for a while. Worcester can wait (only for a bit, though).

Congratulations on DM.  My first was Salem.  Now you will find out how expensive it is to run T10s.  I'd start saving for a permanent camo before the Cockbote.

[MINVY]
Members
510 posts
4,912 battles

Just wait, once you have the legendary- its like having a bunch of wild mustangs under the hood! DM is an awesome ship. Awesome rate of fire, radar and hydro. It's also great in clan wars. Congrats and enjoy.

[SYN]
Members
631 posts
3,576 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Congratulations on DM.  My first was Salem.  Now you will find out how expensive it is to run T10s.  I'd start saving for a permanent camo before the Cockbote.

Salem is great with the economy since it has the built-in service cost buff. It's like running two -50% service cost camos at once.

[13TH]
Members
4,896 posts
8,487 battles
16 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

Nice going, I should get the De Moins in a week ,it’s next in line, have already got Worcester, Hindenburg, And Zao 

Members
4,155 posts
15,647 battles

Grats! DM's a damn good bote. :cap_like: 

My first tier 10 bote was Hindenberg.

[-V1-]
Members
425 posts
7,149 battles

Des Moines was my first T10 as well and I did well, for me, in Clan Battles using it.   I did go back and changed my Mod's adding the Propulsion to it.   A group of us went into a Training Room and held several "Drag Races!"    2 of us used Des Moines with the Propulsion and the Enhanced won Mod and the DD's had to catch up to us we were so fast off the line to speed.   I was at around 29 to 30 knots in 2 seconds off the line.   I also discovered it now stops a bit faster and reverses direction faster than it did before this switch.   During Clan Battles, I often found it a handicapped trying to move away from an island while under fire by its slow acceleration, or it's gliding out past an island into enemy fire when trying to stop behind an island.   Boy, do I ever wish I had had this loaded onto my Des Moines during Clan Battle season as I am convinced it would have been a great help to me and my team mates!

Beta Testers
1,374 posts
16,639 battles
On 2/1/2019 at 7:09 PM, Lert said:

Mine was - ...

uh ...

Hmmm ...

Reveal hidden contents

Just kidding, it was Yamato.

Well said......

Members
2,490 posts
509 battles

well BEFORE 8.0 the ship was pretty GD good....
NOW,,,,, meh..
Congrats though,,., it is was fun to play....

• Boring 1