Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ceesa

T8 CVs totally unplayable

4 comments in this topic

[TNG-2]
Members
91 posts
6,398 battles

While I loved the old CVs, I think I could get used to the new design.  There are interesting choices and potential for new strategies.  However, due to the crap that t8 matchmaking has been for a over a year, t8 CVs are completely unplayable.  I just played five matches in the Shokaku.  In one of them I was top tier in a game with a decent mix of t6-t8.  It was entertaining and I did fairly well, about 120k dmg overall.  My planes weren't invincible, but I did consistent damage and had time to make multiple attack runs with the same squadron.

But the other four games I was bottom tier, and not just any type of bottom tier -- I was usually the only t8 in a match with no t9 and 10-11 t10 on each side.  In this kind of match, I'm completely neutered.  My squadrons get one attack run and then I have to recall the survivors to the CV, otherwise I lose the entire squadron.  Sometimes my planes don't even survive the first attack run.  My bombs bounce or shatter, I can land 1-2 torps by sacrificing half the squadron, and the rockets might as well be made of feathers.  I consistently did 50k dmg per match. 

It seems to me that the AA damage curve is too steep as your progress from tier to tier.  The difference in a CV's effectiveness shouldn't change so drastically.  I can manage 100k dmg games in my Atago no matter what tier the match is, and I can do it fairly consistently.  That means that even though t8 MM sucks just as much for the Atago, I still enjoy it.  CVs should be the same.  If AA dmg changed more slowly from tier to tier then there wouldn't be such a huge change in the effectiveness of CVs based on MM. 

[CCREW]
Members
53 posts
1,838 battles

It feels just as bad for T8 cruisers. The Cleveland is supposed to be a cream of the crop in AA defense, but against T10 aircraft you might as well be in a St. Louis. I activate def. fire and while I see bigger numbers, it still means squat because they can unload every drop they have on me and still not lose a single plane. I've even gone so far as to strip  off CE for another skill just because I'm never not spotted. Hell in most games I don't even really need to bother with radar because of all the all seeing eye's everywhere spotting everything constantly.

[5D]
Members
2,933 posts
18,247 battles

OP I agree that T8 CVs don't fare well in T10 MM. I've not seen many if any CV drivers do anything significant  when bottom tier unless they can find an isolated bad AA ship.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
220 posts
11,225 battles

Game breaker! RIP WOWS

Sign in to follow this