You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S842

Maybe this patch is not as bad as I thought originally

30 comments in this topic

[MPYRE]
Members
234 posts
19,205 battles

I have done my share of complaining about weak AA and overpowered waves of plane attacks.  However, I am getting used to the new mechanics.  To do this I dropped down some tiers to my Omaha, and surprise, she downs more planes than my Don Donskoi (which has an AA build).  Of course, the planes mid-tier are more fragile (so is AA), but I think that another reason for the Omaha's success (won 16 of the last 18 battles with her), is that the Omaha has three fighters that you can put up just before you are attacked.  Even if the CV drops on you the fighters disrupt CV accuracy. On checking, I see that my New Orleans has FOUR fighters.  I did not know about the new number of fighters you can have before my complaints before and these fighters are very helpful.  Also, one has fewer torps to try to avoid than before and cross torping is more difficult.

I still think the mechanics of reinforcing an AA sector is awkward, and would rather do control/click, but overall learning to deal with it. 

Big thank you to dEsTurbed1 (below).  I am adding a link to Stuntman and his Hindy video in which he discusses how he set up this ship's AA.  It may give you some ideas for any ship to improve AA taking in account the new mechanics of this last patch.  Like changing from AFT to Manual. 

Edited by S842
new information
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
21,695 posts
15,406 battles

It's almost like taking a more nuanced, patient approach to figure things out is better than throwing toys out the pram and leaving the game. Nice one.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[90TH]
Members
1,025 posts
9,516 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's almost like taking a more nuanced, patient approach to figure things out is better than throwing toys out the pram and leaving the game. Nice one.

Of course, OP was sailing an AA cruiser at low tier so...

[YORHA]
Members
4,353 posts
7,902 battles
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

That's more like it!

[MPYRE]
Members
234 posts
19,205 battles

Well, anyone who thinks the Omaha in an AA cruiser needs to look at the specs.  She is not, but she does turn on a dime making avoiding torps and bombs easier.

[90TH]
Members
1,025 posts
9,516 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

That's more like it!

Yah there’s at least one positive to the rework: the formerly horrible Omaha is now just merely ok.  Upgrade!

• Boring 1

[808]
Supertester
363 posts
6,048 battles

I am actually back and enjoying the new game play.

People resist change, and boy do the forum warriors love to rage...

I have to admit they have some tweaking to do but I am loving it.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,826 posts
16,481 battles
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

On day 1 I played 3 battles b4 work.

Initial thought, game ruined...

Today, after watching Stuntmans video on hindy 50mm of love, I got a different perspective. 

Man AA more effective than AFT. 2 matches in hindy did ok.

Secondary specced republic, substituted last module AA , almost invulnerability to planes.

The whole module/skills are not so set in stone.

Now to balance build so effective vs planes without neutering ship damage output....

Sadly my dd builds do not have room for RPF.

Z52 solo cap 7 planes, 1 kill 36k damage before permanent spotted and nuked...

Meta has changed, but not destroyed game.

[MPYRE]
Members
234 posts
19,205 battles

n00not, I feel you are missing the point I was trying to make.  If you give yourself some time to get used to the new mechanics, then your results will improve and the patch no longer seems to be the problem one felt at first.

As for the Omaha, she is a fine ship,  and I have a 58% win rate with her, but you have to play her correctly.  If you have good situational awareness of the opposing fleet, position yourself to focus a target, use your maneuverability etc. you will do well. I often see Omaha's rushing into multiple reds, showing side, attacking BB at close range, and other foolish tactics.  Of course such players do poorly with her.  It is not the ship, it is who is driving her.  This is true of other ships like the Nurnberg and Konigsberg that often are seen as poor ships.  I have 58 and 59% win rates in them - it is how you use a ship.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
3,951 posts
16,023 battles
25 minutes ago, n00bot said:

21 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Yah there’s at least one positive to the rework: the formerly horrible Omaha is now just merely ok.  Upgrade!

Dang nOObot, you ruined it!

I was just starting to feel the Kool-Aid too :(

Members
6,556 posts
6,926 battles

Considering that it essentially ended WoWs for me, yes, the patch is just as bad as I originally thought.

Might things change again? Uh, sure, I guess. But as of right this moment, 8.0 is 

78d6c0f3-890b-451f-9355-ada43488b02d.gif

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
798 posts
2,750 battles
21 minutes ago, Battleship_AndreaDoria said:

Considering that it essentially ended WoWs for me, yes, the patch is just as bad as I originally thought.

Might things change again? Uh, sure, I guess. But as of right this moment, 8.0 is 

78d6c0f3-890b-451f-9355-ada43488b02d.gif

Then its unfortunate you're doing it to yourself. THe patch didn't do it. You ruined it for yourself. You refuse to take the patch with a reasonable and grounded mind set. Refuse to see all the good changes it brought to the balance of things. Whether its because you loved how OP the DD's were for so many years, or just hate carriers in general, you seemingly refuse to see how much good it did in terms of creating teamwork, balancing out the problem with DD's, and CV's both, and forcing them back in line where every ship type now has to rely and work on others in the team.

This is a very good thing. It's your own problem and your own stubborn mentality that ruined the game for you, not the patch itself.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[CCREW]
Members
51 posts
1,831 battles
2 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

Then its unfortunate you're doing it to yourself. THe patch didn't do it. You ruined it for yourself. You refuse to take the patch with a reasonable and grounded mind set. Refuse to see all the good changes it brought to the balance of things. Whether its because you loved how OP the DD's were for so many years, or just hate carriers in general, you seemingly refuse to see how much good it did in terms of creating teamwork, balancing out the problem with DD's, and CV's both, and forcing them back in line where every ship type now has to rely and work on others in the team.

This is a very good thing. It's your own problem and your own stubborn mentality that ruined the game for you, not the patch itself.

The only increase in team work I've been seeing is players on both sides [edited] about CV's more than ever. And it is the game not the player. When you take a game and completely rework it's core into a different game, people are going to be upset.

[SOV]
Members
2,934 posts
5 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

Well said Sir

Members
6,556 posts
6,926 battles
1 minute ago, Lady_Athena said:

I went into a tier 3 game where there were 3 carriers per team; I played my beloved Guilio and was nuked into oblivion before I racked up 40k. Yeah - you're darned right that I'm making a choice not to play... because I won't play garbage. That's not about being closed-minded or stubborn - it's about having personal standards, and valuing my blood pressure and time.

By your measure, a chef in your favorite restaurant could, after 2 years of daily service, saunter up to your booth and tip over a steaming pot of sink backwash onto your plate, and you - being so generous with your tolerance for all things new - would slurp it right up with a smile. Well, that's not how this cat rolls.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,975 battles
2 minutes ago, Battleship_AndreaDoria said:

I went into a tier 3 game where there were 3 carriers per team; I played my beloved Guilio and was nuked into oblivion before I racked up 40k. Yeah - you're darned right that I'm making a choice not to play... because I won't play garbage. That's not about being closed-minded or stubborn - it's about having personal standards, and valuing my blood pressure and time.

You couldn't have been in a T3 match.  Guilio is a T5 BB, and a rather overpowered one, and the MM at those tiers does not allow T3s to see T5s, unless a T3 gets fail-divisioned into a T4/5 game.

Of course, this tells me what you are.  One of those people who mainly play overpowered ships, so that you can tell everyone how awesome you are.

Members
6,556 posts
6,926 battles
4 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

You couldn't have been in a T3 match.  Guilio is a T5 BB, and a rather overpowered one, and the MM at those tiers does not allow T3s to see T5s, unless a T3 gets fail-divisioned into a T4/5 game.

Of course, this tells me what you are.  One of those people who mainly play overpowered ships, so that you can tell everyone how awesome you are.

1) Different matches, thus the use of a semicolon.

2) I play all ships except destroyers and carriers, largely because I dislike them.

3) I don't need a video game forum to tell me that I'm awesome. I prefer my accolades to appear in real life, and be accompanied by increasing sums of cash... and they usually do.

Edited by Battleship_AndreaDoria

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,621 posts
6,965 battles

Today was the first day I actually had a chance to play.  I won 12 games in a row.....and every single one of them was a miserable experience.  I don't consider the game enjoyable in its current state and am only putting up with it because I expect it to improve over time as balance changes are made and the hype dies down.  How much it improves remains to be seen....but this has been by far the most frustrated and disheartened I have *ever* felt about the game.

[SAA]
Members
249 posts
4,508 battles
17 minutes ago, yashma said:

Today was the first day I actually had a chance to play.  I won 12 games in a row.....and every single one of them was a miserable experience.  I don't consider the game enjoyable in its current state and am only putting up with it because I expect it to improve over time as balance changes are made and the hype dies down.  How much it improves remains to be seen....but this has been by far the most frustrated and disheartened I have *ever* felt about the game.

Same feeling here.  Just played 5 games...lost every one.  I played quite well in 4 of them being tops in 2.  Last one especially was especially insulting.  It got down to me in a Clemy (1/2 hp) and a CV vs. 2 CV.  The onslaught began and I hid in smoke long as I could but eventually the rockets got me.   Once the CV's concentrated on me... it was a matter of time and zip I could do about it.  Pre 0.8 and stood a chance of being difference that won it for the team...now, no chance...at least as a DD (or any other low AA dpm ship).

This CV deal could work but it the silly add ons like rockets ruins it.  It is far far too easy to take out small hp ships with these. 

I had never played this game until 6 months ago, but I've been hooked ever since playing several games a day.  However, my feelings of frustration are close to an all time high with this game.  I know many CV drivers are quite pleased, but the majority of DD drivers are not.  For the first time, I am seriously thinking of starting my search for something that I used to enjoy as much as this game.  I'll still play but at a reduced amount until I find that other game or they fix it.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[PVE]
Members
16,701 posts
10,908 battles

If you have catapult fighters, DCCA adds another fighter to your flight. They stay within 3km of your ship, so you need to use them as the planes are coming in. It only lasts 60 seconds and doesn't spot torps, but it does destroy one attacking plane per fighter, when the two meet. So Omaha with DCCA can put up 3 Fighters and take out three attacking planes that get within the 3km radius. New Orleans can put up 4 Fighters with DCCA. A Buffalo or Des Moines can put up 4 Fighters, 5 Fighters with DCAA, but gives up RADAR to do that.

Members
6,556 posts
6,926 battles
1 hour ago, yashma said:

The problem is, I no longer feel like I have any impact. I used to push weak flanks, kite and kill enemies who outnumbered me, sail battleships into caps to run off destroyers, and generally play aggressively.

Now, it just feels like whichever blob hemorrhages slower prevails. Undersuch a system, I don't give a darn about "adapting" or "improving," because the overall experience will always both disappoint, and be a pale reflection of what it was.

I pushed for the CV rework; I did not push for a new - worse - version of WoWs.

Edited by Battleship_AndreaDoria

[WOLF2]
Members
3,951 posts
16,023 battles
6 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

Ummmmm, no - it was the patch :)

It's not just his problem, it's everyone's problem

While some things have been given and certain players like you are happy, many other things have definitely been taken away and other players are clearly not happy

Interesting case of blaming the player for obvious changes in the game though, psychologists call this "transference of guilt"

For players like this, who are truly frustrated beyond repair, I would not suggest they return to the game until after this weekend or even longer … 

It's going to be ugly for a while, and WG is probably not done with the changes yet

Edited by Commander_367
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
3,951 posts
16,023 battles
5 hours ago, MajorWang said:

The only increase in team work I've been seeing is players on both sides [edited] about CV's more than ever. And it is the game not the player. When you take a game and completely rework it's core into a different game, people are going to be upset.

Yeah, this seems kind of obvious … 

Next time my wife is upset about something I did, I'm going to try blaming her and see how that goes … 

Oh wait - nvm :)