Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HallaSnackbar

Tweaks for aa and CV bombs/rockets/torps

6 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
308 posts
5,189 battles

After quite a few games both in randoms and co-op in my Cv's I have a few ideas on how to make this a little more manageable for both cv's and surface ships.  My last game was in my Saipan as a top tier ship.  Final results ended with 4 kills but only 50k dmg.  I 1 shot a kagero right out of the gate with rocket planes, moved on to the other two dd's and killed them then spent the remainder of the match getting eaten alive by the aa of ships who did not have that great of aa but were closely stacked together.  I am mentioning this particular match because it embodies both gripes on opposite ends of the spectrum seen since the release of 0.8.0.

Honestly I felt bad for that first dd, there was literally nothing he could have done different.  As soon as he saw my planes he popped smoke, just did not go dark soon enough.  He was where he was supposed to be, on a cap which is why I knew exactly where to find him.  Totally B.S. that I was able to delete him with little to no effort.  The remaining dd's and ships killed by me were a consorted effort of multiple ships.  Working as intended as far as I am concerned.

The there was the group of ships so close to each other they may as well have been holding hands.  None had great aa by themselves however the combined effect of the ships stacking made them untouchable.  Dodged most of the flak but would loose all but one plane in the first run then the remaining planes would die trying to exit the AA umbrella.  If the entire team had done this from the start I would have not been able to do anything.  I think that too is broken.  No ship or group of ships should ever be completely untouchable by any other ship.  At some point skill should make some progress possible.

With all that said here are a few ideas I would like to discuss.  I am not calling them suggestions yet as I want others feedback first.  Looking for opinions of those who actually want to fix or improve this mess rather than the sky is falling and I'm quitting attitudes.  Please read everything before getting too excited, some of the ideas will require the others to be effective.  Here goes;

1) Ships with 100% HP get a massive AA buff.  I think this will help dd's and keep them from getting one shot for doing their jobs.  If they can cap and stay concealed, they will not get deleted immediately.  If a cv chooses to go after them they will pay dearly with plane losses.  Once damaged the ships aa returns to normal.  A cv can still kill them but not in the first pass.  This will be further enhanced by option idea #3.  This will also further deter cv vs cv sniping early in the match.

2) AA rating decreases as a ships HP decreases, similar to how aa mods are lost due to fires.  Base AA gets a buff along with option #1 however as a ship takes damage its aa rating decreases.  This will protect ships early in the game from getting one shot by a cv but will prevent any ship from ever being completely untouchable.  I think this will also encourage cv's to work with their teams as they will benefit from it.

3) Flak only affects planes prior to initiating the bombing run.  Make it thick and difficult but possible to avoid with practice and skill.  Let AA flak from ships close to each other stack as well.  This will reward ships who are smart in regards to map awareness and will benefit CV's who learn how to pick and choose targets carefully and set up bombing runs intelligently.

4) Short range aa (unavoidable DOT damage) only effects planes during bombing runs.  Flak stops, short range aa starts.  Short range aa does not stack.  The only ships aa shooting at you is the aa of the ship you are aiming at.  (not sure how they can make this happen so it cant be exploited but i am sure there is a way).  This prevents ships from just sitting on each other and becoming untouchable by cv planes.

5) Bombs/rockets/torps - Make certain ships/ship types more or less resistant to certain bomb/rocket/torp types.  This will further enhance the strategy of target selection as well as prevent a cv from constantly harassing a single ship or ship type.   If a CV chooses to go after that lone dd early in the match with rocket and manages to knock some health off before loosing his planes, he will not be able to send more rocket planes after him immediately and his remaining torp/boms will be rather ineffective on that class of ship.  Same goes for other ship classes, if a cv makes a run on you and you manage to out maneuver and survive it, you should get a break while he is forced to select a different target for a while.  If he chooses to send the next group after you he will do little damage compared to what he would accomplish on a better target option.  This is another option that I think would encourage more teamwork between the CV and his/her team.

That's it for now, feel free to comment below.  Please lets keep it constructive.

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

I haven't played high tier Cvs but I've played high tier ships and low tier CVs.  From what I can tell the balance at low tier is much different than at high tier.

Not sure I agree with your HP=AA strength idea.  It just makes CVs completely ineffective as anything but scouts until someone gets hit. Then they get piled on even further by the CV(s).

As for 5, as of right now you can abuse that idea by launching another plane type and then immediately paying your respects to those planes and launching the original type again.  Furthermore its kind of like saying a BB has to alternate shooting AP and HE.  Part of the skill set is choosing planes that do the best damage to what you want or need to attack.  Unfortunately in domination mode in particular the key ships to focus are the DDs.  Its just a fact of life, kill the DDs and they won't cap unless the game's about over or they are stomping you.

Not sure how to fix AA but besides the HP thing I guess you are okay with those ideas.

[POP]
Members
308 posts
5,189 battles
1 hour ago, mrh308 said:

I haven't played high tier Cvs but I've played high tier ships and low tier CVs.  From what I can tell the balance at low tier is much different than at high tier.

Not sure I agree with your HP=AA strength idea.  It just makes CVs completely ineffective as anything but scouts until someone gets hit. Then they get piled on even further by the CV(s).

As for 5, as of right now you can abuse that idea by launching another plane type and then immediately paying your respects to those planes and launching the original type again.  Furthermore its kind of like saying a BB has to alternate shooting AP and HE.  Part of the skill set is choosing planes that do the best damage to what you want or need to attack.  Unfortunately in domination mode in particular the key ships to focus are the DDs.  Its just a fact of life, kill the DDs and they won't cap unless the game's about over or they are stomping you.

Not sure how to fix AA but besides the HP thing I guess you are okay with those ideas.

You are correct, low tier CV's are vastly underpowered.  My post was more in regards to t8-t10.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
6 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

You are correct, low tier CV's are vastly underpowered.  My post was more in regards to t8-t10.

I'm not sure they are underpowered but they are extremely hit or miss.  With the AP bombs in particular I can regularly get 1 or both bombs to citadel, so sometimes you get games like I had earlier where I got 50k damage in a Hosho because there were lots of t3 and t4 bbs.  Basically easy mode for AP bombs.  Then there are other games where you are in a tier 5 match and sometimes your entire squadron just vanishes and its a struggle to get 10k damage.

[NCBL]
Members
20 posts
4,328 battles

I spent about 4 hours in a training room to learn how to do the 3 different attacks and absolutely love that aspect of the rework. The feel of flying a carrier plane is lots of fun. Then I tried out the tier 4 carriers in co-op play.

Very disappointed in the lack of points earned even when I got a kill after multiple torpedo hits and multiple bomb hits. In every battle that was a win (4 out of 12), my carrier always got the lowest points of the team regardless of how well I hit my targets. The same battles using a DD or cruiser would have netted me more points.

Also, AA would quickly destroy my flights regardless of how I maneuvered them at the start of an attack run. Half the time my flights were destroyed at the beginning of an attack run or as my squadron was leaving the target. I tried different approaches to see what was more effective at avoiding AA and varied the speed of the squadrons but there seemed to be no difference.

[KNFA]
Beta Testers
428 posts
3,694 battles

AA auras for long and mid ranges need to go. I understand close range AA auras when planes are coming in to bomb and maybe much lighter mid range auras but long range auras are far to big on ships for it to have a constant damage on planes. The surface ship captains don't even have to do anything to shoot planes down atm. Maybe the sector system should be almost all or nothing so ships have to try and keep planes in the aura by maneuvering so when one side is 170% the other is 30%.

Currently AA is no skill but making the sectors all or almost nothing could be better as long as the 170% is focused to the center of the sector with it gradually getting less towards the edges of the semi circle which forces the surface ship player to do something when planes approach.

Sign in to follow this