You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

A small note of positivity in this sea of misery

46 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles

To say that the forums have been ablaze for a few days now is an understatement. And while my own opinions about the CV rework and current state of the game are ... nuanced:

Spoiler

It's a first attempt. Balance is out of whack. I see the current meta of the game as a proof-of-concept, and it has a long way to go before it's in any state resembling balanced again. But we knew this, going in. A change this big needs a good time on the live server before the right changes can be made, and WG knows and admitted this. The game is not in a good place at the moment, but I think the proof of concept we have now holds promise, and I hope WG can find the right things to tweak soon.

... Those are not the subject of this thread.

Wargaming, and the WoWS team in particular, have always been very good at one particular thing and I doubt anyone would disagree. The 3D modeling for this game is absolutely spot on, and the latest batch of test ships (that I am now allowed to show because of recent NDA updates) are no exception:

5bn2ZRh.jpg

Yahagi at night.

7r8T2OM.jpg

Exeter at sea

ukKSuH2.jpg

Viribus Unitis sailing through Hamburg's industrial district

IXhjfCb.jpg

Audacious on the Thames. Oh lawd he coming, absolute unit.

As always, click on the images for 1080p versions.

• Cool 14

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,047 posts
8,425 battles

I'm only kinda half conscious right now.  It's been one Hell of a week trying to keep up with all of the CV-rework stuff and edumacate myself about the mechanics.  I have to agree though, the new models they've been putting out recently have been absolutely gorgeous.  I think it was Vanguard where I first really felt that they had upped their game again (no pun intended -- I'm too tired to be witty).

• Cool 8

[SIM]
Members
3,594 posts
5,723 battles

Wargaming’s art departments consistently put out some incredible content, especially those people working on World of Warships. I’m glad too see that their tradition of excellence continues.

• Cool 3

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,152 battles

I've consistently been impressed with the modeling and texturing. The level of detail is exceptionally good.

Especially in 4k.

I can't tell you how many desktop backgrounds I've used from screenshots of ships in port. Even my wife uses one, and she doesn't even play the game.

[YARRR]
Members
629 posts
4,953 battles

I have to agree.   The ship models IMHO, are the best work in the entire game.

I would like nothing more than to be able to stand on the bridge of any of these ships in a true, single player simulation environment, in first person view.

It would be glorious.

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

The game has always been beautiful to look at. They do an AWESOME job. It is one of reasons I started playing the game in the first place. 

But I just can't right now... I haven't even downloaded the update...

But yeah, the ships still look good. 

[_-_]
Members
2,034 posts
4 minutes ago, ElAurens said:

It would be glorious.

Or at least Furious...

image.png.965bf4f544c073b1c8b87f97af2181c5.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles

Pretty graphics don't make a game good; gameplay does. While I get you're trying to inject a ray of sunshine into the mess, it's not enough to matter.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Or at least Furious...

image.png.965bf4f544c073b1c8b87f97af2181c5.png

That's the version in testing, except with a different camo:

jUL7mcO.jpg

Pity, I'd have wanted the version with that single 18" secondary, or - failing that - the one with the tower right smack in the middle of the flight deck, for teh lulz:

sVEIWz9.jpg

• Funny 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,003 posts
4,600 battles

The day I realized how beautiful the game had become (even with the medium settings I am playing) was when I saw the snowing Zipangu port...

[WOLF2]
Members
1,279 posts
8,625 battles
13 minutes ago, ElAurens said:

I have to agree.   The ship models IMHO, are the best work in the entire game.

I would like nothing more than to be able to stand on the bridge of any of these ships in a true, single player simulation environment, in first person view.

It would be glorious.

Indeed!    I would like a fully mobile camera view, and zoom into certain parts of the botes.     I'd probably spend days just going over every model, inch by inch.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,441 posts
20,372 battles
19 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Wargaming’s art departments consistently put out some incredible content, especially those people working on World of Warships. I’m glad too see that their tradition of excellence continues.

I absolutely agree. Say what you will about the game itself, the ship graphics are always stunning and is the biggest thing that keeps me in the game. They consistently put out outstanding models AND they "fix" the tiniest of flaws when they are found. They are truly masters at what they do and deserve much praise. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,295 posts
8,846 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

That's the version in testing, except with a different camo:

jUL7mcO.jpg

Pity, I'd have wanted the version with that single 18" secondary, or - failing that - the one with the tower right smack in the middle of the flight deck, for teh lulz:

sVEIWz9.jpg

I like tactically or technically unsound ships, the designs and lines are so fascinating. 

[WOLF7]
Members
11,590 posts

Yes, the ships look great, I was really impressed with it at 4k when I upgraded. 

e1epC5p.jpg

They do invest a lot into the graphics and details.....But at what cost to the game itself?:cap_hmm:

Edited by awiggin

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

But at what cost to the game itself?:cap_hmm:

Different departments though. The current state of the meta / game play balance has nothing to do with the art department.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,590 posts
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Different departments though. The current state of the meta / game play balance has nothing to do with the art department.

But it has everything to do with the budget.....:Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

But it has everything to do with the budget.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Not sure throwing money at the balancing department will make them balance better. There's a direct correlation between graphics and funding, I'm not sure about such a correlation between balance and funding, especially with such a huge meta change as the CV rework.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
1 minute ago, bottomlands said:

animate secondary turrets.

gKALq2C.jpg

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
4 minutes ago, bottomlands said:

really? that animates the secondaries? ill be hornswoggled!

Should, yes. And other small things like radar dishes, fire directors, etc. IIRC it also shows additional effects for AA and more airplanes in squadrons.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
735 posts
10,901 battles

Oh yeah, they make some very awesome looking stuff.  They did a fantastic job with the aircraft.  I love watching the flaps deploy when you slow down! :Smile_great:

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
11,223 battles

Wait...since when was Lert the face of positivity around here?? Damn, this re-work was thorough!

[HINON]
Supertester
20,719 posts
14,141 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

Wait...since when was Lert the face of positivity around here?? Damn, this re-work was thorough!

I try to be the face of temperance in reactions. The forum has been overflowing with a lot of negativity - not all of it unwarranted either - so I figured I'd post something positive.