You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

Only the CV should be able to see plane spotted ships

34 comments in this topic

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,790 posts
18,349 battles

Aircraft and ships have radios. Planes spot targets radios locations to ships and ships triangulate then know where to shoot!

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,853 posts
8 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Aircraft and ships have radios. Planes spot targets radios locations to ships and ships triangulate then know where to shoot!

Ships  operated under radio silence as a rule in warzones

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,790 posts
18,349 battles

@Wombatmetal in close range engagements such as this game represents codes and radio silence goes out the window! If your fleets are hundreds of miles apart using such niceties is the norm!

[NMKJT]
Members
3,853 posts
17 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Wombatmetal in close range engagements such as this game represents codes and radio silence goes out the window! If your fleets are hundreds of miles apart using such niceties is the norm!

CVs absolutely obeyed silence. 

[OGRES]
Members
1,818 posts
3,890 battles

Like I purposed earlier. When a CV spots a DD have that DD shown on mini map as a “last known position” icon.

this will take away a CV spotting a DD within 1-2min of game starting and the entire fleet is shooting at them trying to kill them. Hence DDs would not have to dodge plane attacks and incoming fire at the same time.

i think this could be a nice quick workaround before WG figures something better out or keeps it all together.

[SOV]
Members
2,934 posts

No this is a stupid idea. Its dummer than Harry Gimbo, Stailngrade, and Belfast combined.

Stop the goddling of DD. They have been able to run all over the map without being spotted and do anything they want. Per hp the DD has the largest damage.

3 days in and the DDmaifi has ro have it there way again!

Let this go for a week and see what happened.

Every one of my games had 4 DD and 1 CV maybe half had 2 and DD still did fine.

[WOLF5]
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles

?? yes...but all big naval battles of ww2 relied on info of the scout planes. Or sightings by submarine.  Radio silence for the cv ,but scout planes still radioed in position and strength of the enemy,,if found any...

[OGRES]
Members
1,818 posts
3,890 battles
Just now, jags_domain said:

No this is a stupid idea. Its dummer than Harry Gimbo, Stailngrade, and Belfast combined.

Stop the goddling of DD. They have been able to run all over the map without being spotted and do anything they want. Per hp the DD has the largest damage.

3 days in and the DDmaifi has ro have it there way again!

Let this go for a week and see what happened.

Every one of my games had 4 DD and 1 CV maybe half had 2 and DD still did fine.

Look it sucks being a DD right now. You sail up to the caps and get spotted in literally 1 minute of gameplay because the CV player spawned rocket planes and boosted them there. Then when they are spotted they have to endure rocket attacks and a crap ton of incoming fire. If they don’t die they are completely useless for the entire match.

DDs during WW2 were the scouts of a fleet and they need to be handled that way. Forcing them to hide within the fleet just to not get blapped by everything at the start sets a bad precedent.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,670 posts
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

It's called radio. Ships were using it to direct fire control in the early 1900s and, by WWII, planes were directing fire on a massive scale both over land and over sea. My next-door neighbor in Arkansas flew spotter planes in WWII. He would spot the submarines then radio back their positions so that the ships and shore batteries could fire on them.

[SOV]
Members
2,934 posts
32 minutes ago, Scottsds said:

Its a game and NOT a sim

People always say that when it comes to torp reload seing through smoke and so on.

But radar omg it can't see through islands thats not real....

O thats right DD are suppost to be god of the battlefield.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,581 posts
11,524 battles

"This will take time."

We've been waiting since patch SIX point freaking THREE for them to fix USN and IJN which were hit hard by the removal of OWSF.

We've been waiting since then for then to fix the broken module progression on DD as a result of 6.3.

Don't hold your breath.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,520 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

Ships  operated under radio silence as a rule in warzones

If we applied that to World of Warships, then ships with radar would be the only ones who can see the enemies detected by it.

Besides, as another person mentioned, once ships made visual contact and engaged each other, radio silence was not enforced.

[SBS]
Members
4,601 posts
2,408 battles

I suggested something similar.  No shared spotting for aircraft be default, it becomes a consumable instead.  As people have said planes had radios, they could call in the location of ships.  Make it a consumable.  The duration, cooldown, number of charges is all open to balance. 

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,520 battles
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I suggested something similar.  No shared spotting for aircraft be default, it becomes a consumable instead.  As people have said planes had radios, they could call in the location of ships.  Make it a consumable.  The duration, cooldown, number of charges is all open to balance. 

Would you be fine if they did the same thing for surface ships as well, and they only reported the position of enemies if you used a radio consumable?  Because if you did that for planes, then every ships would need it as well.

[WB]
Members
143 posts
11,249 battles

I get it, but DDs carry counter measures as well.    DD is supposed have stealth now, which is gone with 2 CVs at T10, then radar, sonar and RPF.  So everyone can see my torps a mile away, see my ship in smoke and have a group of planes circling over my head non stop even with maxed out AA.  Changes need to be made, its really not enjoyable.

Edited by DQCraze

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,670 posts
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I was a medic in the Army and and once, when I called for a dust off, a new lieutenant got out the code book and laboriously started to code the order. I said "Sir, forget the coding, just get me a dust off!" To his credit, he thought about what he was doing for a second and then did just that.

Of course, those were the old days. Now, a computer chip in your radio scrambles the message for you.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WB]
Members
143 posts
11,249 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I as a medic in the Army and and once called for a dust off. A new lieutenant got out the code book and laboriously started to code the order. I said "Sir, forget the coding, just get me a dust off!" To his credit, he thought about what he was doing for a second and then did just that.

Ya i was medic too, 2 bronze stars, blah blah blah.  Yes I pretty much had to do the same thing,  people dont realize it, but everytime someone in your squad goes down, it exponentially burdens the squad.   Sometimes you just gotta pull the plug, and thats what hurts the most to this day.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,520 battles
1 minute ago, DQCraze said:

I get it, but DDs carry counter measures as well.    DD is supposed have stealth now, which is going with 2 CVs at T10, then radar, sonar and RPF.  So everyone can see my torps a mile away, see my ship in smoke and have a group of planes circling over my head non stop even with maxed out AA.  Changes need to be made, its really not enjoyable.

Radar no longer immediately reveals your position to the entire team, there's a delay of 6 seconds before their teammates can see you.  Planes no longer spot torpedos.  3 CVs on a team is still only 3 squadrons in the air at once, which is far less than a single pre-rework CV.  The old CVs could just park one of their squadrons over you while the rest picked off your team.  With these new CVs, if they're loitering over your smoke then they're not making attack runs on your team.

Honestly, the only reason people are feeling like the new CVs are OP is because they're seeing CVs far more often post-rework.  Everything they are complaining about with the new CVs are all things that the old CVs were far more capable of doing.

[WB]
Members
143 posts
11,249 battles

Why cant a DD Jam Radar, if what your saying is true then why is every ship in a 12k radius firing on my ship when the radar light goes on.  If i can detect that Im being radar spotted, shouldnt I be able to Jam that signal

Edited by DQCraze

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,581 posts
11,524 battles
17 minutes ago, Deno said:

Would you be fine if they did the same thing for surface ships as well, and they only reported the position of enemies if you used a radio consumable?  Because if you did that for planes, then every ships would need it as well.

I've suggested, in the past, something like the radio range in World of Tanks. Where you can only relay spotting information a certain distance.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,520 battles
10 minutes ago, DQCraze said:

Why cant a DD Jam Radar, if what your saying is true then why is every ship in a 12k radius firing on my ship when the radar light goes on.  If i can detect that Im being radar spotted, shouldnt I be able to Jam that signal

Looks like the radar change hasn't been put in yet.  It's something they're planning through.