Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Starbuck

Area Denial...

7 comments in this topic

[2347]
Members
307 posts
6,651 battles

....does not seem to exist anymore when it comes to aircraft. Ships like the Minotaur no longer create AA no-fly zones. CV aircraft pretty much go where they want, spotting and attacking without any real fear of punishment. The real hard counter to a carrier, not just in terms of damage, but also denying the enemy information used to be an equally skilled CV player. I remember being impressed by the skill of top players in tournaments like KOTS as they would essentially play chess on a fluid board. The best games were always amazing to watch.

Now we have fighter consumables, but no direct threat to aircraft from the enemy CV and I’m of the opinion that is a mistake. Player controlled fighters need to be reintroduced as a means of establishing even limited control of the air. I’m not sure how to implement or balance fighters, but my thought is the addition of another squadron, or the option of removing rockets and turning attack aircraft into air superiority aircraft at the player’s option.

Maybe this isn’t a great idea, but maybe it’s something to consider in greater depth than I’ve offered here.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

I disagree. "No fly" zones are still fairly commonplace if the team understands consumable management and positioning.

I do, however, agree that intelligence denial is nonexistent.

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,472 posts
21,307 battles

My planes against higher tiers get shred to pieces working as expected , once the data starts rolling in adjustments and tweaks will be made , maybe even sooner then expected who knows ? ? ? 

[-BMV-]
Members
335 posts
15,521 battles

The Atlanta that killed my entire torp flight disagrees. The Flint that sat on our base capping in smoke disagrees as well, i lost an entire Wildcat flight to a single flak cloud of him and he didn't even moved. The other CV and me tried our hardest and he just sat there killing waves after waves of our planes with minimal effort, we couldn't even touch him. Hilarious as hell. A Bismarck obliterated half of my Lex torp flight this morning before i even got close.

I agree though on the no-counter to enemy CV. It's like WG said "Here farm damage before the time runs out". I like the rework and i'm enjoying it as hell, but it needs heavy balance.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
11,223 battles

Yeah, there are games where I am virtually impervious to air attacks in my Grozovoi. Also earlier today, I used a friendly DM to shred planes while I hid in the shadows in Shimakaze. The opposing Midway couldn't get close to the DM/Jean Bart combo without being ruthlessly shredded.

Members
2,939 posts
3,738 battles

I think the problem is the flak; if you can dodge it well, you're golden and can rack up damage. If you can't dodge it well, you're losing entire squadrons without getting a strike. Considering one of the reasons WG for the rework was to lower the skill floor for CVs, this seems counter to that goal.

[SBS]
Members
3,982 posts
2,408 battles
1 hour ago, _Starbuck said:

Player controlled fighters need to be reintroduced as a means of establishing even limited control of the air. I’m not sure how to implement or balance fighters, but my thought is the addition of another squadron, or the option of removing rockets and turning attack aircraft into air superiority aircraft at the player’s option.

This is what I had mentioned several times as well.  Give players a choice of all attack (keep your rockets on fighters) or an option for CAP fighters without rockets.  There are all sorts of ways to limit the impact of player controlled fighters from limited ammo, cooldown/rearm times and so on. 

3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

I think the problem is the flak; if you can dodge it well, you're golden and can rack up damage. If you can't dodge it well, you're losing entire squadrons without getting a strike. Considering one of the reasons WG for the rework was to lower the skill floor for CVs, this seems counter to that goal.

Unfortunately WG's desire to keep their thumb on the scale to make sure CVs would be more accessible has made them far too forgiving.  Right now its the better players that can exploit the system, but it won't be long before all CV players it figure out.  Then we'll have CVs with little meaningful balance.  WG will be forced to make AA more punishing or gimp damage even more.  A better approach might be stop the kid gloves treatment and let CVs hold their own.  Allow them to face the same balance standards that all others ships have to face.   

Sign in to follow this