You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Steel_Coffins

The F key, get out of jail free? Cooldown required

Cooldown for launching and/or landing planes?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. 20 second cooldown (example time) for launching and/or landing planes?

• Yes
    • No

13 comments in this topic

[ANZ4C]
Members
34 posts
11,618 battles

If your a cv player all you have to do is launch the first strike press F key to save those planes and then use another squadron.

What it needs is a longer launch time between squadrons (say 20 seconds) rather than it being virtually instant.

Also a landing time should be implemented (also about 20 seconds) for when it returns.

What do other people think?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,717 posts
10,984 battles

Explain how this benefits the CV player when they make a single pass and then have to spend a minute or more to come back and make another single pass?

[HINON]
Members
10,767 posts

I think when you hit it there should be a bit more of a delay before they become invulnerable. That way CV can still launch another squadron but the attrition may start to add up if they are reckless.

Members
12 posts
439 battles
36 minutes ago, Steel_Coffins said:

If your a cv player all you have to do is launch the first strike press F key to save those planes and then use another squadron.

What it needs is a longer launch time between squadrons (say 20 seconds) rather than it being virtually instant.

Also a landing time should be implemented (also about 20 seconds) for when it returns.

Your kidding  right  ?????

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,466 posts
21,277 battles
40 minutes ago, Steel_Coffins said:

what a terrible Idea you have ! ! !

[-TXT-]
Members
172 posts
9,696 battles

A 20 sec cooldown would do nothing in the real world. It takes 20 sec to launch and get in the air maybe strike a ship that's already spotting you once. 

While the F key making planes invulnerable may be an inconvenience for some the game is also balanced around how many planes a CV has and how fast they die. So increasing plane casualties will mean that WG will have to also increase the recovery rate to compensate for that. This would in turn be a very real infinite plane situation. Which would be way more powerful than your F key issue. Maybe adding a 2 sec delay to the invulnerability but CVs lose planes very quickly in some situations as it is and re creating a situation that a CV ends up deplaned consistantly similar to the pre patch issues would be counter productive to the entire rework. 

It would also go to serve that planes becoming invulnerable after a strike is the exact same thing as you are describing but that isn't an issue? Same thing. CVs cant pick if they want to only send 4 planes or all 12. So when they are done with that set after a single strike why should they lose all the rest if they only wanted to use 4 anyways? 

Many times I will run a torp run and only use 8 of my 12 bombers and after the 2nd drop send everything back and grab a different type of bomber. So that means I should lose those 4 I never planned on using just because they auto launched with the 8 i was planning to use? Doesnt make sense. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,339 posts
19,648 battles

Why is it I hear about planes being  mown down in one post, and none being shot down (or the ‘F’ key complaint,) in the next?

The first sounds like CV drivers refuse to try, or can’t manage to dodge AA, and the second the same as complainers from RTS; ‘oh woes is me! CVs OP, plz nerf!’

Translation in many cases; ‘oh woes is me! I don’t want to be bothered to learn how to defend against carriers!’

Part of the problem perhaps, may be a portion of the population who isn’t very familiar with carriers.

In any case, this whole entire mess is no different than before; ‘uni’s gonna’ rek, everyone else not so much.’

[-TXT-]
Members
172 posts
9,696 battles

Also CVs are already penalized for returning planes for a limited time. You are not able to relaunch those planes until they have fully returned to the CV which is up to 60 seconds or more depending where you are attacking. And they are then forced to relaunch and fly back over there with a new set. Up to 60 more sec depending where you are attacking. So the F key does have its downsides. You completely take yourself out of the battle for up to a min. 

[-TXT-]
Members
172 posts
9,696 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why is it I hear about planes being  mown down in one post, and none being shot down (or the ‘F’ key complaint,) in the next?

The first sounds like CV drivers refuse to try, or can’t manage to dodge AA, and the second the same as complainers from RTS; ‘oh woes is me! CVs OP, plz nerf!’

Translation in many cases; ‘oh woes is me! I don’t want to be bothered to learn how to defend against carriers!’

Part of the problem perhaps, may be a portion of the population who isn’t very familiar with carriers.

In any case, this whole entire mess is no different than before; ‘uni’s gonna’ rek, everyone else not so much.’

This is exactly how things are. Players like me who have been part of 6 rounds of testing know how to play them really well and and are wrecking a lot of things while many others dont understand the new mechanics so everything is just broken because they aren't willing to learn. 

[SPFLT]
[SPFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
18 posts
2,398 battles

It is obvious you don't play CV's  as once you hit F those panes have to return to the ship and if you are judging by tier 4 CV they are a different beast.  I have to switch up what I take quite often.   

[TNG]
Members
90 posts
6,068 battles

The F key is entirely balanced right now.  If you don't use it, you lose planes but get to make another attack and do more damage.  If you do use it, you get to save planes but can't do any more attacks for a bit.  The time it takes to get another squadron back in the battle is effectively already a cooldown timer.  It's fine.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,684 posts
5,158 battles

So battleships often carried about 50 rounds per gun, give or take.

Light cruisers about 200 rounds per gun.

Destroyers usually carried one torpedo volley per tube. Those that had more had to withdraw to reload.

AA mounts generally had about 2000rpg.

Ammunition load is not reflected in World of Warships surface ships.

Like all of the above, Carriers have infinite ammunition (aircraft).

Unlike three out of the five, their expenditure of aircraft is not proportionate to the time played.

If battleships were given ammunition loads, they'd never fire them all within the match limit. Same for most gun mounts.

But, generally more carrier aircraft are put in the air during the match than the carrier carried.

It's a matter of perception. And proportion.

It's a perception that can be altered by mixing the existing balance factors: hit chance, damage probabilities, speed, landing/takeoff cycles.

Make aircraft move slower? + Make aircraft availability slower? + Make aircraft harder to hit? + Make aircraft hit harder?

Therefore less aircraft doing the same total damage over an average game. Just in fewer 'volleys'

I suspect that slower speeds, accounting for landing/takeoff cycles etc would cause a firestorm from carrier drivers not being able to instantly influence the game. But is it all that bad compared to ships that have to travel to get their armaments in range of the enemy - without speed boost.

But it does encourage better game play. It also has precedent  - such as the slow reload of HMS Queen Elizabeth, combined with slow ship speed, slow turret traverse and slow rudder shift. Her 15in shells still move fast and hit hard, though.

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,361 battles

the F key recall does need to and is being addressed. Trust me, it's OP. I've come to realize this after only having played 3 matches in my Midway(which doesn't benefit from abusing it nearly as much as the Hakuryu does).