You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mrh308

Enough Secondary Battery Missions

32 comments in this topic

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

Why are all the mission chains recently requiring hundreds of secondary battery hits?  This one is for a Pan Asian commander and Pan Asian ships are not going to have many or any secondary hits.  The last one was for Russian something and again the line has no battleships (unless you buy them).  Why are major reward chains requiring stupid grinding that can mainly only be done by a select few battleships effectively.  The majority of missions are ship class agnostic with requirements like xp/ribbons or main battery hits (does this include bombs???).  I can understand if it is for something battleship specific, but can we please stop with secondary hit missions for nations that literally don't have many or any ships with secondaries.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,746 posts
10,984 battles

What mission are you talking about?

[NG-NL]
Members
5,774 posts
9,443 battles

I wonder about that. Gneisenau and other secondary-capable BBs have been around for many months now. Even a casual player could have a decent secondary-spec commander by now, so I see no issue w/ secondary hits missions.

Of course, newer players may have trouble, but not their fault.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

What mission are you talking about?

The third part of the Pan Asian captain mission.  The other one was last week but I don't remember what for.  It was the second part of the mission and I just never did it because I decided the effort wasn't worth it for whatever was being offered.  I'm completely fine with them having secondary missions in directives since that is optional or when its for battleship related "loot."  But when your mission is for the Pan Asian line which has literally no non-premium ships that even have secondary batteries, someone in the mission generating department needs to rack their brain a bit harder before sending out stupid missions like that.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
8 minutes ago, Reymu said:

I wonder about that. Gneisenau and other secondary-capable BBs have been around for many months now. Even a casual player could have a decent secondary-spec commander by now, so I see no issue w/ secondary hits missions.

Of course, newer players may have trouble, but not their fault.

The issue is not whether I or any one is capable of doing it but why it is being used for rewards for a ship line that literally doesn't have secondaries.  I have a secondary spec Bismarck for exactly this purpose, but I don't think I should have to use it to get a Pan Asian commander.  The missions should either be completely neutral (xp/ribbons) or related to the loot in my view (in this case something like torp hits, fires set, spotting damage, etc).  Now I am biased against secondary hit missions in particular, but I still think its very lazy like this whole patch.

Edited by mrh308

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,746 posts
10,984 battles
3 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

The third part of the Pan Asian captain mission.  The other one was last week but I don't remember what for.  It was the second part of the mission and I just never did it because I decided the effort wasn't worth it for whatever was being offered.  I'm completely fine with them having secondary missions in directives since that is optional or when its for battleship related "loot."  But when your mission is for the Pan Asian line which has literally no non-premium ships that even have secondary batteries, someone in the mission generating department needs to rack their brain a bit harder before sending out stupid missions like that.

Ah, the one I ignored.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,774 posts
9,443 battles
10 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

The issue is not whether I or any one is capable of doing it but why it is being used for rewards for a ship line that literally doesn't have secondaries.  I have a secondary spec Bismarck for exactly this purpose, but I don't think I should have to use it to get a Pan Asian commander.  The missions should either be completely neutral (xp/ribbons) or related to the loot in my view (in this case something like torp hits, fires set, spotting damage, etc).  Now I am biased against secondary hit missions in particular, but I still think its very lazy like this whole patch.

I wouldn't be surprised if WG's planning on a Pan-Asian BB line, but yeah, can see the frustration.

Members
506 posts
8 hours ago, Reymu said:

I wouldn't be surprised if WG's planning on a Pan-Asian BB line, but yeah, can see the frustration.

I don't think there's enough Battleships for a Pan-Asian Line. The only Asian nations I know of so far that used Battleships was Japan and Turkey. China, Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, Indonesia, and India never used Battleships. 

AFAIK, the only countries that ever used Battleships were the USA, Britain, Germany, Japan, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Greece, France, Turkey, The Austro-Hungarian Empire, and Russia. 

[DPG]
Members
1,397 posts
5,971 battles
8 hours ago, mrh308 said:

Probably the same reason why the Kaiju Hunter missions required t6 and higher to get a Tachibana, because they felt like it.

[R_N]
[R_N]
Members
123 posts
6,112 battles

mrh308,

For these missions I jump into a German BB but any BB can do. I add the Secondary Guns Flag and then jump into a CO-OP battle and then get into brawling range with the other BBs. I also main gun fire on DDs/CA and any out of secondary range BB. The last thing you want to do is YOLO or POTATO any game. 

Edited by Elder_Lee
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,843 posts
21,325 battles

Used my GK in co op, maxed out secondary range and sailed between two BB. Done in one game. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,255 posts

Especially in this new meta where you need full AA build to shoot down 10 extra planes. There isn't any points left for secondary or fire prevention.

Sad state of the game.

[ALL41]
Members
270 posts
6,655 battles

Took out my Alsace, then my Massachusetts.    Done.      No big deal.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,129 posts
8,404 battles

Perhaps it's to try and break up the camping meta, you know, the one where BBs snipe at long range and cruisers hide behind islands.

I do agree that having that mission right now, given the whole game change due to the new CVs was rather poorly thought out. But, yes, I suspect that all these secondary hit missions over the last few months has been WG trying to get players to close the distance, and end battles faster.

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
On 2/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, ThumperD702 said:

snip

On 2/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, Erebthoron said:

snip

I know reading is hard.  Do you people not understand that I can and did do this with my Bismarck in 2 games in COOP.  I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO DO IT.  I am saying it is idiotic that i need to get secondary hits for a captain for a line that LITERALLY does not have secondaries.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:36 PM, richie_macrophage said:

snip

[FOXEH]
Members
1,571 posts
6,009 battles
1 hour ago, mrh308 said:

I know reading is hard.  Do you people not understand that I can and did do this with my Bismarck in 2 games in COOP.  I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO DO IT.  I am saying it is idiotic that i need to get secondary hits for a captain for a line that LITERALLY does not have secondaries.

It’s just a task, get it done and it’s over with.  It doesn’t matter if you will ever use it on the pan Asian ships.  

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,448 battles

It's likely just something to get people to play different ship lines, instead of being invested in a single line.  Don't think about it too much, since it really doesn't matter in the end.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,507 posts
6,157 battles

No way!  I love secondary battery missions.  I usually complete them before I even notice them!

Members
809 posts
3,677 battles
5 hours ago, mrh308 said:

That's your own problem, that you aren't using those dedicated ships for the mission and instead using ships that are very far from it.

Why do some missions then require torpedo hits but you're an American battleship player? Do you then suddenly have the right to just blow out and demand a change?

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
2 hours ago, richie_macrophage said:

That's your own problem, that you aren't using those dedicated ships for the mission and instead using ships that are very far from it.

Why do some missions then require torpedo hits but you're an American battleship player? Do you then suddenly have the right to just blow out and demand a change?

I mean did you read what you quoted?

As to your hypothetical...

Say this mission is instead for a BB permacamo and it was asking me to get torpedo hits to get it would you think that makes sense?  It's literally the same thing just in reverse.  I am asking that missions be generically achievable for any class or at least tangentially related to the reward.  I think that is completely reasonable as people that want it will then have ships to get it with.  If you don't have Pan Asian DDs what is the point of a captain for them?  If you don't have a BB what is the point of a permacamo for it?

[FOXEH]
Members
1,571 posts
6,009 battles
4 hours ago, mrh308 said:

I mean did you read what you quoted?

As to your hypothetical...

Say this mission is instead for a BB permacamo and it was asking me to get torpedo hits to get it would you think that makes sense?  It's literally the same thing just in reverse.  I am asking that missions be generically achievable for any class or at least tangentially related to the reward.  I think that is completely reasonable as people that want it will then have ships to get it with.  If you don't have Pan Asian DDs what is the point of a captain for them?  If you don't have a BB what is the point of a permacamo for it?

I bet a lot of people here have permacamo’s for ships they don’t have.  I have two Hood camo’s I have no intention of every using unless I get it free.  He who has the most stuff wins in the end.  

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
10 hours ago, comtedumas said:

I bet a lot of people here have permacamo’s for ships they don’t have.  I have two Hood camo’s I have no intention of every using unless I get it free.  He who has the most stuff wins in the end.  

And yet again you aren't addressing my issue.  The issue is that everyone that wasn't reading what I said was telling me to play a German BB in coop.  That's fine, but that is not what I or I imagine many people do on a regular basis.  So its not like people will accidentally get this.  Unless they are BB secondary fanatics this is a mission that requires you to play differently to achieve.  It's not something that happens from normal play even in most BBs.  And personally I think its stupid that the most effective way to achieve a mission is to load into a coop game and literally do nothing besides sail at the enemy and control click them since if you shoot your guns you will win too fast to get a high number of secondary hits.

[PVE]
Members
14,980 posts
9,575 battles
On 2/1/2019 at 4:55 PM, mrh308 said:

Why are all the mission chains recently requiring hundreds of secondary battery hits?  This one is for a Pan Asian commander and Pan Asian ships are not going to have many or any secondary hits.  The last one was for Russian something and again the line has no battleships (unless you buy them).  Why are major reward chains requiring stupid grinding that can mainly only be done by a select few battleships effectively.  The majority of missions are ship class agnostic with requirements like xp/ribbons or main battery hits (does this include bombs???).  I can understand if it is for something battleship specific, but can we please stop with secondary hit missions for nations that literally don't have many or any ships with secondaries.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:28 PM, mrh308 said:

On 2/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, mrh308 said:

22 hours ago, mrh308 said:

Because WG wanted it to be secondaries. This usually means BBs, and with the CV rework, getting BBs in random for testing is a good thing. Or because they felt like it. Since the mission chain is for T5+ ships and doesn't restrict you to any nation, it's kind of a moot point. I just played Nagato, Ashitaka and Myoko clones in Narai and finished the secondaries without worrying about it. I was more interested in getting large amounts of base XP and grind my Yamamoto Cmdr from 15 to 18 points.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
387 posts
9,700 battles
8 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

And yet again you aren't addressing my issue.  The issue is that everyone that wasn't reading what I said was telling me to play a German BB in coop.  That's fine, but that is not what I or I imagine many people do on a regular basis.  So its not like people will accidentally get this.  Unless they are BB secondary fanatics this is a mission that requires you to play differently to achieve.  It's not something that happens from normal play even in most BBs.  And personally I think its stupid that the most effective way to achieve a mission is to load into a coop game and literally do nothing besides sail at the enemy and control click them since if you shoot your guns you will win too fast to get a high number of secondary hits.

Then simply don't do it if you don't want to.  It's that simple.