You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Excuse_Maker

The Kaga and Saipan

17 comments in this topic

Members
631 posts
11 battles

Are these on equal footing with the Lex and Shokaku? The Kaga feels like I am flying a stick of butter over the equator. Is this why people are raging about refunds? I'm not thowing in the towel... but even if I get my torps off I would miss three Yamato's within that spread.

• Cool 1

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,472 posts
21,288 battles

I have yet to try my Kaga and Saipan , with 36 torpedo bombers on the Kaga there's no way to miss hitting the target especially a Yamato 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,297 posts
14,422 battles
1 minute ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I have yet to try my Kaga and Saipan , with 36 torpedo bombers on the Kaga there's no way to miss hitting the target especially a Yamato 

It is a tier 7 ship put into tier 10 matches with tier 6 planes....

[SIM]
Members
3,583 posts
5,723 battles

I've seen nothing to suggest that any of the tier VIII carriers are a standout from the others. Saipan is weird, but I've seen it played effectively.

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,472 posts
21,288 battles

I'm gonna try my Kaga today and I would put money down that my tops will strike even a tier ten  big fat battlewagon

[HSSW]
Members
227 posts
3,426 battles

Gotta throttle the engines. If I can hit a Yamato multiple times with a squad of 9 that should be totally doable. Take the armor perk, use the aircraft heal ability, and destroy. Salems and their ilk are a different story. They create a wall of flak with limited entries.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,020 posts
9,421 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

It is a tier 7 ship put into tier 10 matches with tier 6 planes....

They gave it tier 7 A6M5c's and I have to double check if it is tier 7 or 8 attack planes, I just know they aren't historical and it irritates me.

42 minutes ago, Excuse_Maker said:

Are these on equal footing with the Lex and Shokaku? The Kaga feels like I am flying a stick of butter over the equator. Is this why people are raging about refunds? I'm not thowing in the towel... but even if I get my torps off I would miss three Yamato's within that spread.

Kaga is at best debatable, they should have down tiered her or kept tier 7, really, just should have kept tier 7.

Saipan is more than competitive. It has tier 10 planes that work well enough in tier 10 (AA is so screwed up there in general and tight formations o ships don't help) and is so brokenly OP vs tier 6 it makes the old tier 7 with 9 planes seem balanced. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,581 posts
8,025 battles

Kaga is actually quite effective in the current AA-ship overloaded meta.  Unlike Saipan, you can afford to lose a decent amount of your squad on the way in.  Once you drop, hit F immediately to avoid the short range shredding your planes.  Saipan would suffer I think, because her deck space and reload times are downright punitive and don't allow for much plane losses.

Since Kaga has two full waves parked on deck, she can constantly cycle TBs squads and strike even strong AA targets due to how powerful the instant F recall is.
As somebody who loves CVs I think the F button definitely needs to be nerfed.

[2CUTE]
Members
201 posts
2,496 battles
24 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

They gave it tier 7 A6M5c's and I have to double check if it is tier 7 or 8 attack planes, I just know they aren't historical and it irritates me.

Kaga is at best debatable, they should have down tiered her or kept tier 7, really, just should have kept tier 7.

Saipan is more than competitive. It has tier 10 planes that work well enough in tier 10 (AA is so screwed up there in general and tight formations o ships don't help) and is so brokenly OP vs tier 6 it makes the old tier 7 with 9 planes seem balanced. 

They are not historical, A6M5 and D4A1 iirc 

Members
631 posts
11 battles
35 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

you don't fly 36 at one time. you fly paper airplanes and your spread is 14km wide if you get it off. A Yamato? You won't even see green before your planes are all gone. This kaga's planes melt at tier 6 AA

[LEGIT]
Members
1,005 posts
7,636 battles

As a Kaga owner i tried her in both T10 and T6 matches.... T6 you dominate like crazy no need to worry. But at T10 unless you spend your skill points on plane survival and mods to increase health of planes, your planes are literally pieces of paper flying around and get shreded as you close in.

Members
715 posts

Kaga planes get obliterated at T10, and Saipans supposed over tier planes really still get knocked out by AA any how.  I found in co op kaga is fun, saipans super slow torp aiming combined with crappy V shaped drop pattern was unfun.   Kaga planes can turn while aiming pretty well, saipans can not any maneuvering makes the aim spread pretty bad.   Kaga can spit planes for days, saipan runs out fast.  T10 AA will eat saipans planes all day just as bad as Kaga's, difference is kaga can regen them.

Atm from my view Kaga is clear winner, wish I could try the graf and enterprise but i dont have em.  I wish they would lower kaga regen a tad and increase the planes to T8 T10 AA is just far to insane for T7 planes.  At same time lower Saipans from T10 to T9 but make them replenish faster with better aim times and for the love of god lose the V shape drop or tighten it up 15%.

Edited by JToney3449

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,472 posts
21,288 battles
13 minutes ago, JToney3449 said:

Kaga planes get obliterated at T10, and Saipans supposed over tier planes really still get knocked out by AA any how.  I found in co op kaga is fun, saipans super slow torp aiming combined with crappy V shaped drop pattern was unfun.   Kaga planes can turn while aiming pretty well, saipans can not any maneuvering makes the aim spread pretty bad.   Kaga can spit planes for days, saipan runs out fast.  T10 AA will eat saipans planes all day just as bad as Kaga's, difference is kaga can regen them.

Atm from my view Kaga is clear winner, wish I could try the graf and enterprise but i dont have em.  I wish they would lower kaga regen a tad and increase the planes to T8 T10 AA is just far to insane for T7 planes.  At same time lower Saipans from T10 to T9 but make them replenish faster with better aim times and for the love of god lose the V shape drop or tighten it up 15%.

who knows maybe they will read your opinion here and do adjustment as required  

[WOLF6]
Members
877 posts
3,428 battles

When up tiered in Kaga you sorta have to wait a tad for the AA to thin out. Being moved to tier VIII in the rework was, lets face it, a major nerf to an OP carrier. Good I say. The aircraft regen rate is the best out of all the tier VIII carriers obviously with the tradeoff of only having tier VII aircraft. Torpedo bombers are very good, HE dive bombers not bad and attack aircraft...meh.

Don't have the Saipan (only Enterprise). Yes as people have said here apparently the regen is terrible....again its the polar opposite of Kaga. Oh yes and I have been running a Kaga with a 14 pt thereabouts captain so I have all the survivability perks. It could be a lot worse with a lowbie commanding it.

Members
631 posts
11 battles
1 minute ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Who cares how many when you can only fly one squadron at a time.

kinda what I am getting at, doesn't matter if I can fly 100 waves if none of them can get close. Going to try the kaga again.