You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Citrusss

I figured DD play for now

56 comments in this topic

Members
1,150 posts
9,094 battles

just play like it was in a good old days - go carrier hunting. with a bit of luck and support from the team on keeping these pesky radar cruisers occupied - you can score high! since carriers are now, basically, uncontrollable directly and cannot spot torpedoes, it's very easy to torpedo them from long distance. stay away from the team and caps so you won't get spotted by the planes accidentally. 

it takes some boring time, but it pays off in tears of CV drives. 

just had a match where me (shimakaze) and gearing went around from opposite sides and made them suffer! :) team will not show you any love until you succeed though.

shima1.png

shima2.png

20190201_115814_PJSD012-Shimakaze-1943_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

• Cool 11

[-K-]
Members
7,120 posts
11,660 battles

Well, I suppose that's one way of doing it.  Providing of course, you're on a flank you're able to sneak completely through.

[HINON]
Members
3,104 posts
22,681 battles

lol here is one player who is making the best of a bad situation. When WG gives you lemons..go cv hunting.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,640 posts
1,038 battles

Hello Captain,

Nice to see a good DD result. If you can expand on this a little bit with your thoughts on DDs?

Members
631 posts
11 battles

My first game in the new patch as a CV... it was 6 on 6 three cv's per side. I mean this was right when the servers went live. Some jerk in the t-61 on the Red team rushed straight across the map and sunk all three of us....Not the proudest of moments.

[ARGSY]
Members
14,169 posts
9,120 battles
9 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

with a bit of luck and support from the team

Two things that all too often do not go together.

Your approach is one of those high-risk high-reward things which tended to breed good captains out of the ones who survived it back in Nelson's day. Meanwhile the French and Spaniards are all screaming "RN is OP, PLZ NERF."

• Funny 1

Members
1,150 posts
9,094 battles
8 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hello Captain,

Nice to see a good DD result. If you can expand on this a little bit with your thoughts on DDs?

I attached the replay. I actually mentioned my intentions in the  chat right from the start and was supported by Gearing driver so we did this together. 

Another successful way of playing against carriers on a destroyer I witnessed is actually playing as a team :) sounds ridiculous, right? :D

So a number of players gathered in an order with destroyer leading the charge but not at full throttle, followed by the sneaky AAA cruiser (Atlanta) and 3 battleships to deliver a punch. Whole gang was moving at about the same speed. This was a way to play it and I deeply enjoyed it. 

Edited by Citrusss

Members
1,150 posts
9,094 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Two things that all too often do not go together.

Your approach is one of those high-risk high-reward things which tended to breed good captains out of the ones who survived it back in Nelson's day. Meanwhile the French and Spaniards are all screaming "RN is OP, PLZ NERF."

Indeed. But if one plays couple of matches as a carrier driver, they can see the most plausible strategy for them, which is attack strayed ships and spot destroyers. Now only one thing left - exploit it by straying from the fleet on a destroyer :D 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,333 battles

21 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

all the game I have see DD's chasing haks and midways has resulted in them chasing those ships half way across the map only to get sunk. 

I watched 2 Shima's chase a midway for 7 minutes straight that resulted in both Shima getting wrecked. 

Personally if I dint see you spotted yet I would be actively looking for you with RPF enabled rocket planes. 

[HINON]
Members
3,104 posts
22,681 battles
9 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

So a number of players gathered in an order with destroyer leading the charge but not at full throttle

This!! all day every day. If you watch the video Notser posted complaining about cv harrasment, you will notice that his team was extra passive, he was the only player on his team that was anywhere near a cap for a very long time. Almost 10 mins into the match he was still the only one to have touched B and was sneaking into C. Of course the cvs were going to focus him, he had no cruisers backing him up and of course no BB support either which is normal.

Edited by giovybez
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,749 posts
20,744 battles

Even as a carrier driver I agree with the OP.

MAKE THE LIVES OF CARRIER DRIVERS HELL.

Only when the carrier population drops back down to previous levels or less, will WG understand what a waste of effort this change was.

Of course it won’t be reversed; no one ever admits to mistakes; but I would love to be a fly on the wall in a ‘what have we done!?!’ WG dev meeting.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,034 posts
16,091 battles
1 hour ago, Cobraclutch said:

all the game I have see DD's chasing haks and midways has resulted in them chasing those ships half way across the map only to get sunk. 

I watched 2 Shima's chase a midway for 7 minutes straight that resulted in both Shima getting wrecked. 

Personally if I dint see you spotted yet I would be actively looking for you with RPF enabled rocket planes. 

I'm not sure many teams appreciate/support a DD that goes off the grid like that for so long at the start of a game, but it appears the payoff can be good in a "hail Mary" kind of way :)

Normally, high tier DDs won't ninja behind enemy lines anymore with ever-present radar … I can only guess that cruisers are so distracted now they're in bunker mode and forgetting their hunting role

Also, I would note that this kind of play was more common in lower tiers in the past … as current CV players get better, they will wise up and they do seem to be pretty effective at hunting DDs down with rockets at the start of the game as you say … 

I'm not sure if any of this is good … maybe the few DDs that remain will adopt a new "Deep Ninja" or "Superdark" play?

Edited by Commander_367

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,333 battles
4 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I'm not sure many teams appreciate/support a DD that goes off the grid like that for so long at the start of a game, but it appears the payoff can be good in a "hail Mary" kind of way?

Normally high tier DDs won't ninja behind enemy anymore with radar … I can only guess that cruisers are so distracted now they're in bunker mode and forgetting their hunting role

Also, I would note that this kind of play was more common in lower tiers in the past … as current CV players get better, they will wise up and they do seem to be pretty effective at hunting DDs down with rockets at the start of the game as you say … 

I'm not sure if any of this is good … maybe DDs will adopt a new "Deep Ninja" or "Superdark" play :)

Its really the most logical option. 

Why mess with the big boys when you can pick on much easier targets. I let the team death ball up for the first 5-10 and focus solely on maintaining vision and chip damage on DD's.  

[WOLFC]
Members
1,301 posts
7,190 battles

Nice.

Tried doing that Wednesday night in my Shio when a flank just opened up before me -  but the Enterprise got a call from his teammates about where my torps had come from as I slid across the flank.  Couldn't catch him once he  started up and got eventually swamped by a spotting set of torp planes & a cruiser that took a detour.

Members
102 posts
10,577 battles

Played games last night with my Gearing, Fletcher and Yugumo to get a variety of styles.  Max AA build for Fletcher (all the modules, AFT, MFCAA, DFAA), balanced  build for the Gearing (AA modules, BFT, DFAA), and the Yugumo was... well... defenseless.  Switched to smoke on the Yugumo rather than TRB.  Wins for all.  The Fletcher and Gearing shot down 15-20 planes each and I was spotted much of the match.  Yugumo shot down 1 plane.  CV skill was a clear factor in each game, where the CVs kept the red DDs spotted so we could kill them, while the red CVs couldn't finish me off. 

Overall, it was a slower more methodical game without the DD knife fights and contested caps, and also without speed boost to traverse quickly between objectives.  While I had 1-2 kills each game, the average damage was low (~30K).  In the Gearing and Fletcher games I could just as easily been in a cruiser, although I did play team support by smoking cruisers.  And in fact I later tried games in Edinburgh and Minotaur and I was capping in those ships.  Only in the Yugumo game did I play like a DD and  in that game I capped all 3 caps, and the CV and I were the last ships alive to finish off the reds and win.  

One early conclusion is that MFCAA is not worth 4 points on a DD.  And DFAA is also of questionable value, since I had more kills with it off than on... Still trying to decide on BFT and AFT.  Then will test which modules help or not.  There's no way to get all this testing done before Feb 8 when free respec'ing goes away.  

My conclusion: DDs are far from dead.  The meta has changed substantially.  DD-DD fights were down, and CVs are part of decision making every minute.  I appreciate not being instantly deleted by a triple-cross-drop, but hope the DD playstyle becomes a bit more exciting as things settle down.  For now, I think I'll keep two classes of ships ready for now until I figure out where this is going (AA builds and non-AA builds), and choose based on whats in the queue....  

• Cool 2

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles

Nice game OP :Smile_great:

Have only played 1 DD match so far, but it turned out well. Killed their DD, then went cap hunting next to a Texas. I saw their CV rocket planes headed for me and I thought I was a goner but he apparently didnt know enough to strike  me and went for the BB. It cost him his life and the game. I followed his planes home, snuck around an island and dev striked him from point blank. Yeah, it was only tier 4, but this was the first Random game that I';ve played in many months so am re-learning just about everything

Edited by Wyngs_2015

[WOLF2]
Members
4,034 posts
16,091 battles
27 minutes ago, C14Alpha said:

Oh my gosh, here is an actual solution.

WG can give all DDs dozens of 20km torps to spam halfway across the map in an attempt to kill CVs.

If this is the only solution, we're in big trouble lol

Also, I'm afraid it's going to be short-lived once the confusion wears off since it's an old tactic from lower tier play 

On the other hand, if they continue to stay motionless in spawn and forget about us - that would be just wonderful :)

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLF7]
Members
226 posts
5,230 battles

I played 4 games in DD so far, Kitakaze, Cossack, Khabarovsk and Grozovoi, ALL Full AA specced.  On Grozovoi after CV try to fire Rockets on me and lose ALL of Its squadron he Gave up and went after easier targets. With Khaba I Took some damage from Rockets but i chased both CV and killed them both. With Kitakaze I killed some planes, Took some damage, but managed to cap and contest. With Cossack It was really bad, It hás pityfull AA, i was só focused ALL the time I couldnt do anything.Só, It havent been só bad to me playing DD at the New meta. I think we should not GO for caps at early game as before, FORGET ABOUT CAPS. Flank and chase CVs, while they are busy with their planes the ship is on auto mode, easy target for torpedos. THIS IS THE NEW META! FORGET ABOUT BB, OUR MAIN ENEMY ARE CV! FORGET ABOUT CAPS! FLANK, USE SPEED BOOST! LETS MAKE THE LIFE OF CV MISERABLE TOO!!

[CNO]
Members
5,086 posts
15,962 battles
7 minutes ago, demeflac said:

Flank and chase CVs, while they are busy with their planes the ship is on auto mode, easy target for torpedos. THIS IS THE NEW META! FORGET ABOUT BB, OUR MAIN ENEMY ARE CV! FORGET ABOUT CAPS! FLANK, USE SPEED BOOST! LETS MAKE THE LIFE OF CV MISERABLE TOO!!

And watch the meta change as teams hold a DD back for...CV screening.  Now the knife fights happen in the screen role instead of the cap role.

[SRPH]
Members
937 posts
2,448 battles
11 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

And watch the meta change as teams hold a DD back for...CV screening.  Now the knife fights happen in the screen role instead of the cap role.

And/or CVs running their squadrons along the flanks instead of up the middle to spot any DDs trying to hunt CVs...

[_-_]
Members
2,465 posts
7,020 battles
2 hours ago, Citrusss said:

just play like it was in a good old days - go carrier hunting. with a bit of luck and support from the team on keeping these pesky radar cruisers occupied - you can score high! since carriers are now, basically, uncontrollable directly and cannot spot torpedoes, it's very easy to torpedo them from long distance. stay away from the team and caps so you won't get spotted by the planes accidentally. 

it takes some boring time, but it pays off in tears of CV drives. 

just had a match where me (shimakaze) and gearing went around from opposite sides and made them suffer! :) team will not show you any love until you succeed though.

shima1.png

shima2.png

20190201_115814_PJSD012-Shimakaze-1943_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

Good job!

Members
2,783 posts
10,774 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Well, I suppose that's one way of doing it.  Providing of course, you're on a flank you're able to sneak completely through.

With the way RPF now works with CV squadron, going after competent carrier at any stage in the game is suicidal.  Even in AA specced one.