You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Audioknight

DD's need to be AA God's will fix the problem.

19 comments in this topic

[EPEEN]
Members
39 posts

So i have tried to figure a different way to play in my Shammy. Guess what nothing works played for 6 hours straight last night and a few hours today. It's pure crap. And i'm not going to wait 2 or 3 month for them to realize they mess up big time. Just got out of a game with shammy i had 0 torp hits 0 damage i was spotted all game by rocket planes. One rocket strike took half my HP and set me on fire. I used everything i had to try to avoid the planes and dead. The only dd's that work some what is a long range gunboat dd that stays with all the crusier's and battleships and their is only a few that can do that and work some what. I didn't spend all this time and money on this game for them to just make it pure crap from a dd point of view. Shammy is my main ship and used to love to play it now it's unplayable. I use to have like 100k+ damage games and spot for my team and capture caps and having brawls with other dd's over the cap. That's what makes dd's fun and that's all gone now. if your going to keep this rework like it is and i know you will.  This is what you need to do you need to make DD's AA God's so they can still be up front and cap and spot. that would make CV's have to avoid them just like before the patch they had to avoid some ships. The strong AA is on the wrong classes. If DD's had crazy strong AA that would fix the perma spotting problem and the none stop attacks on dd's as we are weak on HP and armor. With strong AA dd's could do their jobs again and play to the style that dd players prefer.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,032 battles
2 minutes ago, Audioknight said:

So i have tried to figure a different way to play in my Shammy. Guess what nothing works played for 6 hours straight last night and a few hours today. It's pure crap. And i'm not going to wait 2 or 3 month for them to realize they mess up big time. Just got out of a game with shammy i had 0 torp hits 0 damage i was spotted all game by rocket planes. One rocket strike took half my HP and set me on fire. I used everything i had to try to avoid the planes and dead. The only dd's that work some what is a long range gunboat dd that stays with all the crusier's and battleships and their is only a few that can do that and work some what. I didn't spend all this time and money on this game for them to just make it pure crap from a dd point of view. Shammy is my main ship and used to love to play it now it's unplayable. I use to have like 100k+ damage games and spot for my team and capture caps and having brawls with other dd's over the cap. That's what makes dd's fun and that's all gone now. if your going to keep this rework like it is and i know you will.  This is what you need to do you need to make DD's AA God's so they can still be up front and cap and spot. that would make CV's have to avoid them just like before the patch they had to avoid some ships. The strong AA is on the wrong classes. If DD's had crazy strong AA that would fix the perma spotting problem and the none stop attacks on dd's as we are weak on HP and armor. With strong AA dd's could do their jobs again and play to the style that dd players prefer.

Light Cruisers are the new Destroyers...the sooner that sinks in the sooner you will feel better.  That's what I did, playing light cruisers now but it is like learning how to play WOWS all over again.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,472 posts
10,565 battles

DDs seem to be hit and miss for me... they spot me, and I am alone, I am in trouble (sunk)...thankfully been playing a lot of Jutland and the plethora of smoke helps....hopefully the CV player gets bored before my smoke runs out.   A few games I am hardly even bothered.  I think the BIG issue is for me, and maybe for others is that it SEEMS that airplanes are everywhere and your looking more to the sky  than the water and sometimes that makes it easier to make a mistake I wouldn't normally make stalking a BB or avoiding a CA...that is where I think I am getting bit the hardest, overall tactical sense.  More CVs, less overall flights, but they seem to be everywhere anyways...might just be me...?

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
920 posts
46 minutes ago, Audioknight said:

This is what you need to do you need to make DD's AA God's so they can still be up front and cap and spot. that would make CV's have to avoid them just like before the patch they had to avoid some ships. The strong AA is on the wrong classes. If DD's had crazy strong AA that would fix the perma spotting problem and the none stop attacks on dd's as we are weak on HP and armor. With strong AA dd's could do their jobs again and play to the style that dd players prefer.

...and BB's all need to be torp spammers.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

The issue with DDs right now is simple:  they rely on friendly ships for AA support, which is a big error because friendlies cannot be trusted unless you're in a division.

[S0L0]
Members
103 posts
17 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

The issue with DDs right now is simple:  they rely on friendly ships for AA support, which is a big error because friendlies cannot be trusted unless you're in a division.

This. I've been in several games where DDs were AA monsters, in multiple games I've seen DDs shoot down 30+ planes. I've also seen games where one DD excelled and another filled chat with hateful text and died a pointless death.

DD's struggle is real but it's because WG overbuffed AAA and now CVs are resorting to focusing on attacking ships with weaker AA. As they adjust AA it will get better, until then buff your AA and get a slice of the pie!

Members
1,154 posts
2,399 battles

Then CVS will target the next lowest AA ship on the AA totem pole and issue will continue.

[HSSW]
Members
228 posts
3,443 battles

Smoke, friendly AA, and not solo fighting are the counters. I had previous post about how DDs used to dictate matches by being the spotting kings and able to strike from stealth. Now they are bumped from that position and I’m sure that’s frustrating for DD mains. The first day of the update I ground out over 120k do in my Ryoji and I got to see it all unfold. Most DD captains tried to play as if it were business as usual and they would die from a combination of rockets and arty from being spotted. But there were gems also and I would smile at their craftiness and adaptability. They would still be out front spotting but just at the top of the range of the cruiser AA behind them so if I go for a strike I’ll maybe land one or two but them my planes are melted. So the they’re leashes to the cruisers right? Nope! Returning planes don’t spot. Only active planes and fighter drops do. Most of those planes up in the air are returning to CV after dropping armament and basically just a visual cue for the CV to know when to expect more planes. This means after a strike there’s a window to reposition and pop smoke. Firing AA from smoke doesn’t light you up like it used to so it’s worth keeping on. 

Overall, if you try to play like you used to, you’re gonna be miserable. Adapt and succeed.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
1 hour ago, Audioknight said:

So how can you justify DD's being AA gods when battleships packed 5 DD's worth of AA onto a single hull? The new CV rework has made the game a much more realistic representation of Naval combat where DD's screen the capital ships and are expendable in nature. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,620 posts
14,862 battles
12 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Overall, if you try to play like you used to, you’re gonna be miserable. Adapt and succeed.

Agree. I took my Aigle out last night...my first DD since the patch.  And based on what I had seen and heard, this was my philosophy.   Well, I started close to a cap and boosted to it and try a quick cap.  Rocket planes arrived, I smoked up...they took one shot and moved along.  I capped, and transitioned to the next cap at he fringe of friendly AA zones.  I spent a good bit of time NOT in smoke and burning things down, and didn't get air focused the rest of the game.  Contested the other cap, and then retraced my steps and re-capped the first one.

Although one DD game does not make a trend, my BB and CA plays saw very little air engagements.  And it wasn't like I was sitting back, either.

It makes sense CV captains are looking for the low hanging fruit.  A tweak in strategy is needed. But it doesn't require a wholesale change.  I capped in my Aigle every bit as fast as i would have pre-patch.  My only tweak was using air bubbles as I transitioned out of smoke to the next cap.  No big deal.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[HSSW]
Members
228 posts
3,443 battles
2 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Agree. I took my Aigle out last night...my first DD since the patch.  And based on what I had seen and heard, this was my philosophy.   Well, I started close to a cap and boosted to it and try a quick cap.  Rocket planes arrived, I smoked up...they took one shot and moved along.  I capped, and transitioned to the next cap at he fringe of friendly AA zones.  I spent a good bit of time NOT in smoke and burning things down, and didn't get air focused the rest of the game.  Contested the other cap, and then retraced my steps and re-capped the first one.

Although one DD game does not make a trend, my BB and CA plays saw very little air engagements.  And it wasn't like I was sitting back, either.

It makes sense CV captains are looking for the low hanging fruit.  A tweak in strategy is needed. But it doesn't require a wholesale change.  I capped in my Aigle every bit as fast as i would have pre-patch.  My only tweak was using air bubbles as I transitioned out of smoke to the next cap.  No big deal.

Exactly right. Well done!

[SIM]
Members
3,591 posts
5,723 battles

Something that people seem to overlook is the fact that CVs have always made life miserable for DDs, it's just that now we're actually seeing them regularly, where before they were as rare as hen's teeth.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,763 posts
2,672 battles
12 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

So how can you justify DD's being AA gods when battleships packed 5 DD's worth of AA onto a single hull? The new CV rework has made the game a much more realistic representation of Naval combat where DD's screen the capital ships and are expendable in nature. 

In a realistic representation, there would be one BB (I'm being generous), and it would mostly be an AA platform.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
18 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

In a realistic representation, there would be one BB (I'm being generous), and it would mostly be an AA platform.

I would say at least two. Battleships usually operated in pairs.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,763 posts
2,672 battles
Just now, UssIowaSailor said:

I would say at least two. Battleships usually operated in pairs.

With only 12 ships, (and 4 would be CVs), no place for two BBs.

Cost of construction and all.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

With only 12 ships, (and 4 would be CVs), no place for two BBs.

Cost of construction and all.

Without the BB's providing Anti-air the CV's would be too vulnerable. 

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
627 posts
1,616 battles
30 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Something that people seem to overlook is the fact that CVs have always made life miserable for DDs, it's just that now we're actually seeing them regularly, where before they were as rare as hen's teeth.

We didn't have rockets before, though, which gives CVs a more efficient tool for hunting DDs.  If it wasn't for rockets, I'd probably ignore DDs and just use bombs and torps on the slower moving ships.

Edited by Bonfor

[WOLFG]
Members
4,763 posts
2,672 battles
Just now, UssIowaSailor said:

Without the BB's providing Anti-air the CV's would be too vulnerable. 

4 AA cruisers.

4 destroyer pickets.

In real life, past a certain point, BBs became expensive AA barges and shore bombardment.  And Wows doesn't have any marines

Yet :Smile_hiding: