You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

Impressions of CV rework/0.8.0 so far

5 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
595 posts
7,400 battles

I don't play CVs, because by the time I got around to thinking about it, the CV rework was announced, and I figured there was no point in learning something that was going away.  So, from the perspective of someone who plays surface ships, I'm not hating it.  My PEF, Alsace, Massachusetts, and Neptune certainly shot down quite a few planes.  I played Fletcher a couple of times, but I apparently wasn't declared target #1 by the CVs and endlessly harassed, so I didn't get a chance to see its AA in action very much.  Haven't had a chance to do more than that yet.

I was surprised in a couple of matches that had 2 CVs per side to see the red CVs leading with their rocket planes.  From the videos I saw before release, it looked like these were the least effective at dealing damage.  So I'm guessing the CV players have figured this out, and consider these planes expendable.  They seem to be using them to scout out the map at the beginning to figure out where the AA is, then recalling them and launching the real bombers to where the AA isn't.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining about the rebirth of perma-spotting or anything.  I'm just curious if this is what's actually happening.

Edited by zubalkabir

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles
4 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

I don't play CVs, because by the time I got around to thinking about it, the CV rework was announced, and I figured there was no point in learning something that was going away.  So, from the perspective of someone who plays surface ships, I'm not hating it.  My PEF, Alsace, Massachusetts, and Neptune certainly shot down quite a few planes.  I played Fletcher a couple of times, but I apparently wasn't declared target #1 by the CVs and endlessly harassed, so I didn't get a chance to see its AA in action very much.  Haven't had a chance to do more than that yet.

I was surprised in a couple of matches that had 2 CVs per side to see the red CVs leading with their rocket planes.  From the videos I saw before release, it looked like these were the least effective at dealing damage.  So I'm guessing the CV players have figured this out, and consider these planes expendable.  They seem to be using them to scout out the map at the beginning to figure out where the AA is, then recalling them and launching the real bombers to where the AA isn't.  Has anyone else notice this?  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining about the rebirth of perma-spotting or anything.  I'm just curious if this is what's actually happening.

That seems to be what is happening in my experiences also.  Though a few times when I was in DDs, they actually used the rocket attacks to try and force me out of the cap.  If you are quick, you can dodge the attacks entirely.  It is really annoying, though, and if there are even a few Red ships in range, you're probably going to die if you don't get out of there.

• Cool 2

Members
1 post
6,143 battles

Havent play much else but CV so far. On the money. The rockets are the fastest planes so its used mostly for recon and seeing if or where to put down fighters.

I also thing bombs may be too strong vs DDs nut open to debate. 

Also i have detonated someone with rockets. I have somewhat been sucsessful in cross droping in some form in Lexington.

Edit: not hating 2 cvs a game in gearing, been fun so far. Though i have annoyed a shima trying to drop torps on him in lexi.

Edited by Deathseeker117
Additional content
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,358 posts
19,660 battles
31 minutes ago, Deathseeker117 said:

I also thing bombs may be too strong vs DDs nut open to debate. 

A destroyer getting hit by bombs is either not manuevering (sailing in a straight line,) or has encountered one of the new controls unicums who are going to make the skill gap now, just as bad as it was before.

[NFE]
Members
253 posts
2,970 battles
54 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

That seems to be what is happening in my experiences also.  Though a few times when I was in DDs, they actually used the rocket attacks to try and force me out of the cap.  If you are quick, you can dodge the attacks entirely.  It is really annoying, though, and if there are even a few Red ships in range, you're probably going to die if you don't get out of there.

This is my experience, too. I was the only DD on my team, the enemy DD was elsewhere, so I thought I'd get an easy cap. It took way longer than it should, because I had to dodge rockets, and some hit me. There were red ships, but too far away to hit me, and also I was in a good corner, mostly behind an island.

I haven't played enough to intelligently comment on the re-work, but one thing I hate is unlimited planes. I shot down 7 in one game with my Akat, and we still lost.