You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RobertViktor68

F-key-get-out-of-jail-free

163 comments in this topic

Members
631 posts
11 battles

I had a stationary Amagi and accidently hit the F key to start my torp run. There were some serious F bombs flying as I was knee jerked back to my ship.

Beta Testers
2,734 posts
22,773 battles

I'm really enjoying that (F) key having a lot of fun now , where as before the multi-tasking and playing the CVs turned me totally off. All of my carriers for the past three years were only collecting dust not anymore ! ! !

• Cool 3

[R-F2]
Beta Testers
873 posts
14,812 battles

Yesterday i press 3 time s ,,F,, instead of,,attack,, button :D 

It should be revocable or something:D

[PEEDZ]
Members
190 posts
9,619 battles
46 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

In a nut shell, this is why I don't like CV change.

So the CVs planes go away, don't cause damage and don't spot. 

Whereas the planes don't receive damage. 

Sounds like an even trade to me. 

If you're going to spend 1min flying planes over to a ship, do only maybe 10k damage (if youre lucky) and then waste the rest of the squadron. Sure go for it. 

[TARK]
Members
3,519 posts
1,516 battles
1 minute ago, MattttChris said:

If you're going to spend 1min flying planes over to a ship, do only maybe 10k damage (if youre lucky) and then waste the rest of the squadron. Sure go for it. 

Indeed.

The CV driver is trading his chance to land further hits so that he can preserve his planes.

If the ships want to get rid of the f-recall mechanic, then AA needs to be nerfed or CV ordinance damage needs to be buffed.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[MIA-E]
Beta Testers
1,177 posts
11,773 battles

Exactly but, this coupled with unlimited planes seems abusive to say the least.  

• Cool 1

Members
1,027 posts
5,679 battles

Yep, I'm glad someone else see's it in the same way I have.

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

I press the attack until all planes are dead

then I attack with the next weapon with the most planes

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
3,519 posts
1,516 battles
1 minute ago, RobertViktor68 said:

Artificially limiting squadron attacks to a fraction of the squadron is abusive as well...

...and the planes aren't unlimited, or the CV captain wouldn't f-recall...

• Cool 2

Members
1,027 posts
5,679 battles
1 minute ago, RobertViktor68 said:

If you want to limit planes then aa really needs to be looked at more because there are times I have seen planes get shredded before they complete their run.

• Cool 1

[PEEDZ]
Members
190 posts
9,619 battles
9 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

The fastest way to seem like you know nothing about the game is saying CVs have unlimited planes. 

I did the math and Ill pass it on. 

The Midway used to have 116 planes

Currently with all the skills to have the most planes with fastest reload you can have

20 Attack planes on deck and over the course of 20min you can reload 20 for a total of 40 attack planes

19 torp planes on deck and over the course of 20min you can reload 13 for a total of 31 torp planes

20 DB planes on deck and over the course of 20min you can reload 17 for a total of 37 DB

Add that all up and you get 108 vs the previous 116. And torps do a ton less damage, map control with spotting has been removed, and generally AA has been buffed. 

Saying planes are "infinite" is the most ignorant thing you can say

Edited by MattttChris
  • Cool 15

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,583 posts
11,524 battles
21 minutes ago, MattttChris said:

Can I get a button that transports my DD back to safety then? It's an even trade to not be able to do damage or spot for a few minutes, right?

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[PEEDZ]
Members
190 posts
9,619 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Can I get a button that transports my DD back to safety then? It's an even trade to not be able to do damage or spot for a few minutes, right?

Well that's called a Submarine. It has another dimension to operate in, just like planes

I apologize on the behalf of the laws of nature your boat can't fly away, or dive under the water

• Funny 1

[TARK]
Members
3,519 posts
1,516 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Only if your torps and guns are subsequently nerfed to do 10% of their current damage...

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,640 posts
1,038 battles

Hello Captains,

Thank you for your continued feedback on the the CV rework.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Members
608 posts
7,115 battles
13 minutes ago, MattttChris said:

Add that all up and you get 108 vs the previous 116.

Sure, but those are all attacking planes.  The RTS carriers had a goodly number of fighters, which were used to shoot down enemy bombers (and fighters) reducing them further.  And you are not counting the consumable fighters that the 0.8.0 carriers have in your figures.

[PEEDZ]
Members
190 posts
9,619 battles
1 minute ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Sure, but those are all attacking planes.  The RTS carriers had a goodly number of fighters, which were used to shoot down enemy bombers (and fighters) reducing them further.  And you are not counting the consumable fighters that the 0.8.0 carriers have in your figures.

Very true. I don't have the firm math, but considering the nerfing of flood chance and torp damage I would theorize that most possible damage has been reduced despite the addition of additional attack planes 

[TARK]
Members
3,519 posts
1,516 battles
1 minute ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Ah, but you cant attack with all of those planes...you really only have 1/3 of those planes at a time...and AA is strong enough to kill lots of them that aren't even part of the attack run.

The f-recall makes those planes useful as damage sinks for the strike, by sacrificing the follow up strike to allow the next strike to be more predictably potent.

The CV is trading alpha strike for chip damage. This isn't a bug or an exploit...its a feature.

• Cool 1

Members
608 posts
7,115 battles

Oh absolutely.  F-ing your back-end flights home definitely will keep your reserves primed for full-squadron sorties, which spreads out the damage taken and keeps the plane count high.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Planes returning to ship shouldn't completely vanish.  I'm guessing this was done to prevent the enemy from following them home.

After all, we cant make hunting hidden ships that- *coughRPFplanescough*  ...that easy.

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

When I am defending against an incoming air strike, I notice that there seems to be a sudden increase in my damage output and shoot downs right after the planes suddenly disappear.  Kinda makes me wonder if pressing the “F” key is not so cost and care free for the CV as it seems.

i vaguely recall reading something that confirmed this but I forget where it was.

Not for nothing but today was a better day for DD’ing.  Shot down a ton of planes and only ate a modicum of rockets.  

[SOFOP]
Members
1,427 posts
9,577 battles

Just take an AA boat (Worcester for example, if at this point you can even call it an AA boat in this patch) against a couple tier 10 CVs and watch.  The moment their planes get close to you, they disappear and are recalled, eliminating all damage to them, allowing the CV to launch other planes, all the while you (the AA boat) did nothing to them.  Worse, you may have triggered Defensive fire, which has a long cooldown and limited charges (far more limited than the planes).  So basically, use rocket planes to bait out DFAA, then send in torps or bombers and by the time they get there, DFAA is down and the job is easier.

Recall needs a cooldown of some sort.  I agree, this is a total get out of jail free card, without enough drawbacks.  On the flip side, I do think CVs should hit harder with certain armaments.

In the end, I don't think it is possible to balance a good warship game with CVs.  CVs changed the way naval warfare was conducted for a reason....

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 1

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
Just now, Old_Baldy_One said:

Just take an AA boat (Worcester for example, if at this point you can even call it an AA boat) against a couple tier 10 CVs and watch.  The moment their planes get close to you, they disappear and are recalled, eliminating all damage to them, allowing the CV to launch other planes, all the while you (the AA boat) did nothing to them.  Worse, you may have triggered Defensive fire, which has a long cooldown and limited charges (far more limited than the planes).  So basically, use rocket planes to bait out DFAA, then send in torps or bombers and by the time they get there, DFAA is down and the job is easier.

I agree that the plane recall needs some form of penalty to prevent abuse. The number of times I've activated DefAA after the CV committed planes deep into my AA bubble only to have them recall out is way too high.