You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

What is effect on the "Ecology" if DD's go away?

58 comments in this topic

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,061 battles

Just thinking if DD's go away, what happens...

BB's have no predators and their population grows...

Cruisers have no food supply and their predators grow, thus their populations dwindles...

Are we left with a BB vs CV only environment?

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,029 posts
11,346 battles

Interesting but unlikely. DD's will create a new meta and continue. We might get more memes about DD's that sail in a strait line lol. 

[WOLF7]
Members
863 posts
3,801 battles

Planes can now do everything a DD can do with less risk.  

*The biggest thing I can see is that without DDs the game would lose the alpha strike damage from DD torps...so it's a QOL buff to battleships and cruisers.

*With DDs gone light cruisers become the easiest prey for ships and that is not insignificant because they are already pretty weak in defense.

*The game becomes even more campy than it was before

(For what its worth I'm a DD main)

Edited by T_O_dubl_D
  • Cool 2

[EQRN]
Members
1,015 posts
11,235 battles

It’s looking pretty rough now so I won’t be surprised if we get a 8.0.1 before 8.1 is ready.  

Look at it from an economical perspective, DD, BB and cruiser lines have been in the black, while CV has been in the red.  I applaud WG for trying to get the CV line in the black, but they’re not going to kill off a profitable line to *maybe* make CVs worthy of continued effort.  So just relax DD drivers, planes not spotting torps was just the first olive branch, more will be coming.

• Cool 1

[90THB]
Members
1,245 posts
9,902 battles
7 minutes ago, paradat said:

Interesting but unlikely. DD's will create a new meta and continue.

Its easy to say a new meta will be created, but without an idea of what it will be then the statement it basically "everything will be fine". His prediction has more flesh than yours.

[DRACS]
Members
4,439 posts

I'd like to think DD mains will keep playing DDs so that Wargaming can gather data and do some additional balance passes as needed. But maybe I'm just being an optimist.

• Cool 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,069 posts
4,250 battles

I don't see DDs going away. From all the talk a lot of people seem like they are going to walk away from CVs. Once, everyone that is interested in seeing how CVS play the amount will go down. Just like when there is a anything new, there are a lot of them for a while and then it dies down. Who knows though.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,029 posts
11,346 battles
4 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

Its easy to say a new meta will be created, but without an idea of what it will be then the statement it basically "everything will be fine". His prediction has more flesh than yours.

OK well I do play a lot of DD. My thinking is that racing to cap in early game (current Meta) is going to be even more questionable. The stealth smoke ships may still be able to do it. The enlarged smoke consumable may become more important. Cap's may become more of a midgame goal. 

Also DD's need to learn to dodge rockets. Once they do it will become more frustrating for the CV's. At the moment DD's are easy to hit because they are not taking evasive maneuvers. Once the player learn this … well new meta... 

Members
631 posts
11 battles
Just now, FlakKnight said:

The coral reefs will die.

ha, they will flourish! with 250 planes falling into the sea every game the fishing should be fantastic in a month.

Members
706 posts
12,972 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I'd like to think DD mains will keep playing DDs so that Wargaming can gather data and do some additional balance passes as needed. But maybe I'm just being an optimist.

If this were a job I would agree with you.

If we were in the game specifically to provide data for WoWS, I would also agree.

We play here to have fun. Right now it is pure hell for DDs. Why would we punish ourselves to provide data?

I think the lack of DD battles played would speak volumes...

• Cool 4

[SCREW]
Members
587 posts
6,129 battles
11 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Not going to happen, the low hanging fruit may fall, but the truly great DDs will not only remain but they will thrive.

If the DD population drops a bit the remaining ones will be in a target rich environment, these things have a tenancy to level themselves out with time.

[CUTER]
Members
809 posts
20,970 battles
5 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

Planes can now do everything a DD can do with less risk.  

Agree to disagree.  Planes can do many things similar to DDs, but not all of them.  They can spot, they can contest, they can cause area denial, they can project a point of attack, but they cannot cap objectives and they cannot provide concealment to allied ships and this is where my disagreement rises.

Otherwise, solid points.

[CUTER]
Members
809 posts
20,970 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

If this were a job I would agree with you.

If we were in the game specifically to provide data for WoWS, I would also agree.

We play here to have fun. Right now it is pure hell for DDs. Why would we punish ourselves to provide data?

I think the lack of DD battles played would speak volumes...

Prothall, we do not always agree, but this is 100 percent spot on.  I've suspended my play until this game looks fun again...amazingly had a great time hanging out with my family last night.

• Cool 1

Members
631 posts
11 battles

I quit playing DD mainly cause it's harder to drink beer while playing them. This was before the patch. I kind of feel like a trend setter or a visionary.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WOLF7]
Members
863 posts
3,801 battles
3 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Agree to disagree.  Planes can do many things similar to DDs, but not all of them.  They can spot, they can contest, they can cause area denial, they can project a point of attack, but they cannot cap objectives and they cannot provide concealment to allied ships and this is where my disagreement rises.

Otherwise, solid points.

Solid additions to my points.  As far as capping I certainly agree that CVs cant but it also got a lot more difficult for a DD to be able to cap as well(without some team support). 

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
718 posts
6,755 battles

Capping with a DD now requires the enemy CV to be dead, or target fixated on something else. As a DD your only hope of contributing is if the enemy CV is distracted or bad, which makes for a not enjoyable experience. I don't like having to rely on the enemy being bad at the game  for me to have fun...

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,061 battles

All good discussions, but back to the point...IF DD's went away, what effect would it have on the WOWS habitat?

[WOLF4]
Members
1,533 posts
3,523 battles

I think the game would hurt a lot more losing all the DD to keep CV around.

There's far more DD players than CV players by a large margin.

Not to mention DD's fit well within the rock/paper/scissors of the game.

Losing all the DD would be bad for the game.

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,474 posts
21,329 battles
27 minutes ago, paradat said:

OK well I do play a lot of DD. My thinking is that racing to cap in early game (current Meta) is going to be even more questionable. The stealth smoke ships may still be able to do it. The enlarged smoke consumable may become more important. Cap's may become more of a midgame goal. 

Also DD's need to learn to dodge rockets. Once they do it will become more frustrating for the CV's. At the moment DD's are easy to hit because they are not taking evasive maneuvers. Once the player learn this … well new meta... 

Never really played CVs much but with the new CV upgrade I'm enjoying rocket damaging those sneaky DDs     heheheheheh 

• Angry 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,069 posts
4,250 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

All good discussions, but back to the point...IF DD's went away, what effect would it have on the WOWS habitat?

Then the game will be loaded with the Battleships and Cruisers that have the best AA, spec'd with AA focus, killing off the CVs planes to where no one wants to play CVs.

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
29 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Otherwise, solid points.

Except now one team has to have pretty much won the game for a DD to cap and keep. And if your team has won, then any ship can cap - even the CV (so you see, the CV can do everything the DD can lol).

The above is said with humour, but also some truth.

[_-_]
Members
2,035 posts
45 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

BB's have no predators and their population grows...

Cruisers have no food supply and their predators grow, thus their populations dwindles...

Are we left with a BB vs CV only environment?

Obviously, we will just have to wait two years for a DD Rework. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[H_]
Members
469 posts
9,265 battles

I think if DD's went away, you'd end up with a more "campy" meta then you already have with BB's and Cruisers.  CV's would become ineffective I think because the BB's and Cruisers would most likely develop a more mutual AA bubble..  Heck one screen shot I saw showed that over 100 some planes downed in one game, saw someone post they got 130 alone in one game in a Khab?  awesome stat, but if I was a CV driver and every time I took my ship out I lost 150 planes..  I'd find something else to play that can't be any fun.

So no DD's = Camp fest and at some point only BB's and Cruisers.  = BORING..

All conjecture as I really don't think DD's will go away, sure diminished use for a while, just like after Radar changes, but eventually when the CV thing dies down folks will start playing them again.

[TX]
Members
369 posts
4,995 battles

DD's won't go away, they'll just will do a lot more hunting/stalking; instead of making Bee lines to the center of the map or bothering with spotting. Capping is going to turn into a matter of convenience/late game thin.

BB's will make poor capping ships due to how easy they are to reset.... and CA/CL's.... way too easy to kill in the open. CV's spot DD's far to easy and with nothing else to shoot at in the opening moves.... well.... u can forget about DD's capping early, anymore.

• Cool 1