You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ClockworkSpectre

0.8.0 Was the rework really ready to go live?

9 comments in this topic

[ECOM]
Beta Testers
838 posts
11,053 battles

Based on my experience the last couple of day, no, not even close.  I think they should have at least given it another 3-6 months, or at least another couple phases on the PT server.  I personally really was looking forward to CV play being reworked for ages now.  If it was up to me I wouldn't have changed it to the extent they did, but that is just me.  I am very glad the excessive multitasking is gone, and I won't miss fighter strafing (something I really felt never should have been added).   The new game play is fun, but I do miss the certain aspecs of the old system and I think WG may have gone to far. 

So here are my observations:  (I didn't play the public test at all so this is coming from some one completely new to the new CV play)

-AA in general is excessively powerful. 

-During approach for a drop/strike aiming is destroyed unless you are willing to lose your whole squad by flying straight to maintain aim.  I understand it is part of the challenge but it feels excessive atm. 

-Late in a battle if the enemy is grouped up they can become untouchable, basically completely taking you out of the game.  Doesn't happen to any other class. 

-AA sectors, this mechanic is just annoying, and it feels pointless, not much else to say about it. 

-For most CVs it feels like you can just through away planes on an attack and not have to worry about the consequences.  

-The old system of running out of planes never felt right considering no other ships had ammo limits, but this doesn't feel correct either. 

-In most cases torpedo bombers have been neutered into uselessness, especially USN torpedo bombers with their ridiculous spread. 

-The stealthy option for torpedo bombers on the Haku is interesting though.  Except they seem to be able to hit before they arm sometimes?  Or maybe it is a UI issue?

-Due to the new perspective it is harder to judge a ships maneuvering while approaching leading to more misses, though this is something that I assume is just a skill that will develop over time. 

-I have noticed few people playing CVs even using torpedo bombers anymore unless they need to wait for other planes to regenerate. 

-Much of the time dive bombers don't seem to drop where you aim, and the camera while aiming is wonky.  The aiming and accuracy needs refinement, just feels bad atm.

-The reduced number of planes attacking at once kind of kills their viability due to the few bombs that drop.

-Rocket strike craft feel pretty good, at least with how they control.  It is pretty easy to hit targets and aiming just feels much better when compared to torpedo or dive bombers.  

-While they feel good concerning control, the damage and fire chance is anemic to say the least.

-Aiming for a strike/drop while coming over an island is awkward to say the least and feels wrong.  Kind of hard to put into words, first word that comes to mind is disorienting, but it doesn't quite fit.

-Damage dealing potential is just to damned weak.  I am very glad that CVs don't have such a massive alpha that they used to but damn, I feel like I'm just tickling the enemy atm rather than hitting them. 

-When I use the summon fighters consumable from my squads it never really feels like they do anything to the enemy planes.  Seems like it takes to long for them to engage. 

-We need control of our ship back at all times, maybe add another set of key bindings that act the same as WASD that are active while planes are up. 

-We need control of our ships consumables, it is irritating that fighters launch ever single time your ship is spotted.  This just wastes the limited charges you have, even when there is no actual threat. 

-DDs complaining about perma spotting.  The situation is literally better than it was previously because each CV only gets one squad to control at a time.  If a cv is perma spotting you they aren't doing damage to anymore else. 

-DDs complaining about rockets, they are less of a problem then getting cross dropped by torpedo bombers in the previous version and do little damage when they do hit. 

-MM currently sucks because of AA strength.  Playing a teir 6 for example and facing teir 8 AA.  if they properly balance AA maybe it won't be an issue, but I am starting to think protected MM would be better as things currently are. 

-CVs always used to be a strong counter to BBs but now it feels like they can barely touch them, at least in comparison. 

I may add more later if I feel I forgot something.   I like the changes to an extent, but it really doesn't feel like the rework was even close to ready.  It has potential to be great, but damn... it can be aggravating right now.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
35 posts
12,028 battles

Although I hardly read any of this, Agreed. Half-baked. TOO  MANY DAMN PLANES!

[MIA-E]
Beta Testers
1,165 posts
10,971 battles

It had to go live.  They were not getting a lot of meaningful data from test servers.  Like it or not, they needed to see data from live server to assess what balance changes to make.   Agree, it sucks now.  I'm willing to be patient for a couple of months.  Meta is in flux for everyone so, a lot of "I'm quitting because I don't want to change my playstyle" out there.

Good Luck

• Cool 1

[DDZ]
[DDZ]
Beta Testers
13 posts
2,874 battles

Nope it didn't had to go live. Just read the feedback beta testers gave Wargaming and you'll know what i mean. Most of the testers warned about what was going to happen if published like that.

Right now, it is wrong for CV players, and wrong for the others. It's probably the worst they could do.

[SCREW]
Members
587 posts
6,119 battles
24 minutes ago, Franky_76 said:

Right now, it is wrong for CV players, and wrong for the others. It's probably the worst they could do.

You know what they say about compromise, if both parties are a bit unhappy that is a compromise. I actually think that the complaints from both the surface ships AND the carriers is a good sign, it means that the problems aren't all skewed one way.

If you had CV players all happy and Surface ships all pissed off you'd be looking at OP CVs
If all the CVs were pissed and surface ships were happy you'd have UP CVs

I actually think they may have found something loosely resembling balance on the first release, that's not something I ever thought I'd say about anything wargaming does...

Are there some ships/planes that will need tweaking? Heck yes, but overall I think that the result is probably the best we could ever have hoped for under this system.

[TBW]
Members
7,527 posts
13,808 battles

It has been stated that the rework was still a work in progress, mostly due to the fact that there are not enough people to test the rework accurately in the PT.

[TBW]
Members
7,527 posts
13,808 battles
3 hours ago, ClockworkSpectre said:

I may add more later if I feel I forgot something.   I like the changes to an extent, but it really doesn't feel like the rework was even close to ready.  It has potential to be great, but damn... it can be aggravating right now.

Learn how to exploit CV game play here. Not how WG intended but this is how to do it.

[YORHA]
Members
4,138 posts
7,147 battles

The PTS supplied less than .01% of the average EU, NA and RU server populations July/18-Jan/18, and the few people there were playing against bots for the most part.

You can't do anything with that type of data.  Everyone had excuses why they couldn't/wouldn't play the PTS and now the same people are complaining that the re-work wasn't ready.

[DRACS]
Members
4,424 posts

Was it ready to go live? No.

Did it NEED to go live so that Wargaming could do some final balancing based on a larger sample size than could ever be found on PTS? Yes.