You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Lets Talk about Ranked

103 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
1,590 posts
16,921 battles

So I was not planning on doing Ranked but I said you know its a better option than Randoms right now so let do this.

So I chose the Alsace for the majority of my games.

So far the ship is doing fine as this was the best game I think I had so far.

image.png.6d06a16699424ab84b65992bb2cf1ff5.png

But.... Winning has not come easy and I have lost a Boat load of games.

Which all have looked more like this.

image.png.e734e687a5e804f5c48d0f89f78d864c.png

As a matter of fact I lost 8 straight matches at the end of the day yesterday.

But I saved 7 stars in those 8 defeats so I am still at Rank 9 to start the day.

From what I have seen thus far DDs are still the Key to victory but there are a lot of Musashi and Krons players that look a bit lost.

I think things will settle down some once everyone gets a feel for things.

But Ranked right now is a close quarters Brawl fest between all types of ships and for the me the Alsace is the best suited for this type of play.

At least as far as BBs go along with the Jean Bart.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
479 posts
9,884 battles

I'm liking Ranked thus far.  I had not played Arms Race previously but I'm enjoying the change in monotony that previous seasons of Ranked had turned into.  Ok, this map again, DDs go here, CAs there, BBs over there.  Rinse, repeat.  The dynamic nature of where the buffs are and the randomization of what those buffs are make nearly every game different.

YMMV.

Comp     #WV44

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
609 posts
28,067 battles

I have to say that the few games of Ranked I have been able to play have been better than expected.

First, no CVs.

Second, with only 6 ships on a side the games go just a wee bit faster.

Third, Arms Race is better than I thought it would be.  Different dynamic.  Adds to the chess game.

Fourth, no type heavy lineups.  Oh, sure, might see a BB heavy team or a DD heavy team or a cruiser heavy team....but you also see balanced teams.  In general, there is no consistently over used ship lineup.  Gives the games a fresh feel every time.

Fifth, players have been cool.  As in not obnoxious or mouthy.  I think we all are glad to escape the CV rework stuffs by playing Ranked.

~Sabene

• Cool 3

[-BRS-]
Members
1,590 posts
16,921 battles
45 minutes ago, Sabene said:

I have to say that the few games of Ranked I have been able to play have been better than expected.

First, no CVs.

Second, with only 6 ships on a side the games go just a wee bit faster.

Third, Arms Race is better than I thought it would be.  Different dynamic.  Adds to the chess game.

Fourth, no type heavy lineups.  Oh, sure, might see a BB heavy team or a DD heavy team or a cruiser heavy team....but you also see balanced teams.  In general, there is no consistently over used ship lineup.  Gives the games a fresh feel every time.

Fifth, players have been cool.  As in not obnoxious or mouthy.  I think we all are glad to escape the CV rework stuffs by playing Ranked.

~Sabene

I have found this to be all true so far as well.  

I reminds me a lot of an Operation in which the team kind of moves from one goal to the next as a unit.

Getting a buff here and there all while engaging the enemy at fairly close ranges.

You try to not leave anyone behind and as a bigger ship you want to stay close to help out your DDs.

I do like it thus far and so far everyone seems to be having a good time with it.

• Cool 1

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles

I've been playing Missouri so that I can grind credits while advancing up the ladder.  Its easier to move up and support the DD's in this mode with only 6 ships each side.  This mode seems to promote aggressive play a lot better, I kind of like it.  Even losses haven't been so aggravating because I am making major bank and have been able to save stars when it happened.  So far so good, we will see when we start getting into more competitive waters.  I only played a few games and got to 12.

[-K-]
Members
7,044 posts
11,591 battles
56 minutes ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

I'm liking Ranked thus far.  I had not played Arms Race previously but I'm enjoying the change in monotony that previous seasons of Ranked had turned into.  Ok, this map again, DDs go here, CAs there, BBs over there.  Rinse, repeat.  The dynamic nature of where the buffs are and the randomization of what those buffs are make nearly every game different.

YMMV.

Comp     #WV44

Agreed here.  Like others, I have never tried Arms Race until now, but it's been a pretty enjoyable experience in the first 20 or so games thus far.  Seems to be a more spirited and engaging event, rather than the typical repetitive campy nature of past Ranked seasons.

My only criticism this far (and will be re-evaluated further with more play) is that perhaps the heal buffs need to go away.  They seem to allow forgiveness of bad plays a bit too much, and ships can regenerate a lot of health over time.  It seemed like I killed a Yamato 3 times over in my Z-46 yesterday, and ended the match with 250k total damage.  The other buffs seem to be perfectly acceptable.

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
193 posts
9,060 battles

I had the same choice, took Black, and am regretting it.  I think the Flint would be more fun to play.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,590 posts
16,921 battles
19 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Agreed here.  Like others, I have never tried Arms Race until now, but it's been a pretty enjoyable experience in the first 20 or so games thus far.  Seems to be a more spirited and engaging event, rather than the typical repetitive campy nature of past Ranked seasons.

My only criticism this far (and will be re-evaluated further with more play) is that perhaps the heal buffs need to go away.  They seem to allow forgiveness of bad plays a bit too much, and ships can regenerate a lot of health over time.  It seemed like I killed a Yamato 3 times over in my Z-46 yesterday, and ended the match with 250k total damage.  The other buffs seem to be perfectly acceptable.

Yeah I have to agree  and much of the conversation in my Clan Discord revolved around the heal buffs.

It heavily changes the outcomes of a match in that if you are able to disengage and really control your heals coupled with the heal buffs.

As a BB you can really put the pressure on the enemy team especially in the later parts of the match.

But i also found that i was so engaged most of the time that i had no idea what buffs i had gotten through out the course of the game.

I know i had something but I had almost no time to actually look to see what it was that my team had captured during the fighting.

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
129 posts
10,781 battles

they have been more frustrating than some randoms . . . . not thrilled with tier 9. its musahi's, barts, mo's, kits, fletch,and blacks.  each match has been a landslide. nothing more frustrating than hitting a rank getting 2 wins in a row just to get 6 potato teams in a row and slide waaaay back.

Members
631 posts
11 battles

is the heal buff a perpetual heal or just magnified when you heal yourself, or self medicate...

See the source image

I have 10 games in but really haven't noticed the buffs one way or another.

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
129 posts
10,781 battles
Just now, Excuse_Maker said:

is the heal buff a perpetual heal or just magnified when you heal yourself, or self medicate...

See the source image

I have 10 games in but really haven't noticed the buffs one way or another.

constant. hover over your buff icon in the middle and it will show you your buffs. you get it if you are close enough

[-BRS-]
Members
1,590 posts
16,921 battles
39 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

But also like you Ace i had never tried Arms Race...

Of course my very first game I was in the Jutland and it came down to me against a Musashi as the last 2 ships.

We had the lead and i was just willing to let the timer run out.

Of course i had no idea he was capturing the zone lol,

My team is yelling at me to reset the capture point and I am like HUH!!!!

I also had no idea if he captured it.... it would lead to 10 points a second gain for the enemy team.

So my team did a good job of teaching me on the fly and relaying that if I did not get my tail in gear we would loose quickly by points.

• Cool 1

[SCCC2]
Members
246 posts
15,471 battles

I have only had 12 battles so far and it's been "fun".  I have been focusing on the Black as my primary.  So far of the 3 wins in those 12 battles I have had to extra carry.  The least damage I had to do to carry was 139k, the most was 168k damage and a Krakken.  My average damage per battle has been 81k which is better than the server avg of 47k and this has been being pretty aggressive.   All in all, I like the game mode for a change of pace so If I could have better teams that would be nice.

black krakken ranked1.jpg

black krakken ranked1-2.jpg

Beta Testers
1,306 posts
7,049 battles

"Stop killing them and help me spot torps"

- Actual comment to me in one of my Ranked games last night. 

• Funny 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,590 posts
16,921 battles
3 minutes ago, rabidrabit said:

I have only had 12 battles so far and it's been "fun".  I have been focusing on the Black as my primary.  So far of the 3 wins in those 12 battles I have had to extra carry.  The least damage I had to do to carry was 139k, the most was 168k damage and a Krakken.  My average damage per battle has been 81k which is better than the server avg of 47k and this has been being pretty aggressive.   All in all, I like the game mode for a change of pace so If I could have better teams that would be nice.

Yeah Im gonna go out a limb and say thus far I think this Ranked is exceeding expectations

[-K-]
Members
7,044 posts
11,591 battles
35 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Yeah I have to agree  and much of the conversation in my Clan Discord revolved around the heal buffs.

It heavily changes the outcomes of a match in that if you are able to disengage and really control your heals coupled with the heal buffs.

As a BB you can really put the pressure on the enemy team especially in the later parts of the match.

But i also found that i was so engaged most of the time that i had no idea what buffs i had gotten through out the course of the game.

I know i had something but I had almost no time to actually look to see what it was that my team had captured during the fighting.

Just hold down the 'H' key and it will list the buffs you have accumulated.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,306 posts
7,049 battles
6 minutes ago, rabidrabit said:

How you liking the Black so far?

I'm 100 Steel from the Stalingrad. Wait or get the Black? Thoughts? :)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,643 posts

This new ranked season is awesome!  Loving it.

Re-bought FdG to play with a secondary build (due to buffs), because I'd been into Bismarck lately.  It's been doing ok.   Reload buffs had me shooting every 19 seconds last night! 

Might try Alsace.  I don't think my Kron, Musashi, or Missouri are well suited to these close range slug fests.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,590 posts
16,921 battles
21 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

This new ranked season is awesome!  Loving it.

Re-bought FdG to play with a secondary build (due to buffs), because I'd been into Bismarck lately.  It's been doing ok.   Reload buffs had me shooting every 19 seconds last night! 

Might try Alsace.  I don't think my Kron, Musashi, or Missouri are well suited to these close range slug fests.

Let me show you something..

image.png.0374f369f08542c5772b0c050bb0863b.png

The 62,000 I did to the Krons was almost all secondaries.

In this game i did 98k with secondaries and only 50k with the main guns.

This was a win how crazy is that.

To flip what you said around Im thinking of booting back up the FDG as well.

Having hydro and secondaries and good armor hmm.  But the ability to move around sets the Alsace apart I think but Im willing to give the FDG a shot

[SCCC2]
Members
246 posts
15,471 battles
1 hour ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

It's a challenging ship in that you depend on the torps to do much of your lifting damage wise.  You are a capable cap contester too but getting spotted as a DD in ranked often gets you punished.  You have to be strong in predictive torping to do well in the Black.  My overall win rate in the Black is in line with my other DD's at 67% with my solo win rate around 65%.  I'm obviously off to a tough start but even with a totally suck win rate I'm still where I started at 9.3 stars.  With an average damage of 81k vs server avg of 47k in ranked I just need to let the law of averages work out as I do more battles. Realistically, dominating in the Black is tougher than some other DD's but it has some strong tricks up it's sleeve.

Basically, if you are strong in handling the slow Black torps you will do well.  If not, there are better choices.

Edited by rabidrabit

[-TKS-]
Members
680 posts
10,396 battles

ive been playing all the ships i can so far to see how they fare . while i get a chance to move my limited 19 point captains around .  Also looking for a ship that fits my style . started with like 7 losses in a row with ca/bb doing ok damage wise but placing in the top quarter in the results screen in those losses ( so i cant be playing that bad regardless of damage can I?)  .   hopped on jutland and fletcher and got 2 wins avg 20k damage and placing in the bottom 2 ( so i think my team carries there)  ...  ill play couple more in dd if the trend continues not sure what to think. 

i normally only play a few games in ranked  cause the normal ranked reasons but randoms is not much of a option since t6/7/8 CA being my favorites .  itll be interesting to see how many games i get in this season. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[-TKS-]
Members
680 posts
10,396 battles
2 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Since its def aa wasnt impressive to begin with Im thinking the AP bombs will give stalingrad a bad time in randoms. and the torp planes will keep you from being stationary  plus  the giant ball of ships meta it should be interesting . 

Anyway ive seen a lot of blacks in ranked and it hasnt been pretty.  there was a time when you saw one on your team you were stoked , now its mostly sad . 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck
not sure why this edit got split into 2 post .....

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,640 posts
1,038 battles

Hello,

So how are you liking tier 9 for ranked? 

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
4 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hello,

So how are you liking tier 9 for ranked? 

It fun, playing those boats that got rushed by to get to t10. 

Saw you earlier testing a UK CV, good times. 

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,640 posts
1,038 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

It fun, playing those boats that got rushed by to get to t10. 

Saw you earlier testing a UK CV, good times. 

Have you tried Izumo? I am actually wanting to try it in ranked.