LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #117 - Irian

66 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,868 posts
9,801 battles

I got her partially because she comes with the upgraded PA commander. Like you, I only spent about 7k doubloons for the complete set of permanent camos and Irian herself. I'd say it was a bargain.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,301 battles

This ship is thoroughly mediocre.  I hope this isn't the gimmick for a real line, because it's pretty bland.  If they split the TRB into left and right modules and gave it more rudder, maybe it would be fun as a mini DW Kitikami.  It's hard to get total value out of TRB right now though.

[ARGSY]
Members
13,893 posts
8,971 battles
19 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Irian doesn't make an ideal trainer for the Pan Asian destroyer line. 

I think she was given us to make Huang He feel less lonely and give its captain something else to do. Not to mention eating gold in 8888-doubloon chunks (she won't be eating mine).

• Cool 1

[KENT]
Members
185 posts
4,543 battles

Thanks for all your hard work as usual miss mouse!

Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

Sounds like good premium design, better than stock chappayev, but inferior to fully upgraded chappy.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,634 posts
15,390 battles

SGL9XZi.gif

Agree with the whole thing. Still, for a decidedly mediocre, uninspiring workhorse meh bote, she's quite comfortable and fun to play.

• Cool 3

Members
1,801 posts
15,500 battles

Since I have the rest of the premium PA ships, was able to secure for much less then the almost 27k doubloons worst case scenario.

Have taken it out a couple of times in random, new CV meta does mean you are spotted for most of the game.  Main guns are comfortable, and do like the new DW torps.  Opposing players have not figured it out yet, so while that Yamato is salivating at putting a few 18 inch shells down your throat and harvesting your 41k HP, you have 10 DWT heading his way ( using torp load boost), which is really bad since he just put out the fires you started.  

If you can get for a reasonable amount of doubloons, worth it.  Fun ship, but not a “go to” ship

Members
3,827 posts
4,150 battles

It does at least have nice camo. Then again I like a lot of the Russian camos. 

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
8,989 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

SGL9XZi.gif

Agree with the whole thing. Still, for a decidedly mediocre, uninspiring workhorse meh bote, she's quite comfortable and fun to play.

Totally agree.  In my first game, I did more torpedo damage than I have in my last 20 MK games combined.  It's a fun take on an old favorite.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,296 posts
7,147 battles

Was looking forward to this review.   Much appreciated.

Still working out how to use this.  Going to take it out for a good chunk of the weekend just to see what it can do in a support role.  Hard agree on those torps - spectacular if you can get them off but in the current meta, takes a while to find that point. That bird camo is something else too.

There are a small...very small..group of us who enjoy the Huanghe  & its style of play - nice to see a much more powerful support cruiser that can harness the same approach.    I suspect that once things settle down Irian will join Huanghe as a boat not used much due to its nature but that tops off its tier in stats.

Edited by Anonymous50

[OGRES]
Members
1,818 posts
3,884 battles

What is the easist way to get the irian? Do i need to buy those crates?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,634 posts
15,390 battles
8 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

What is the easist way to get the irian? Do i need to buy those crates?

Right now, that's the only way to get her. However, chances are extremely high that she'll be made available in cheaper, more direct methods later. She's not controversial, she's not intended to be a limited ship and she's not meta-breaking, so chances are she'll be made available at a later time.

[OGRES]
Members
1,818 posts
3,884 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Right now, that's the only way to get her. However, chances are extremely high that she'll be made available in cheaper, more direct methods later. She's not controversial, she's not intended to be a limited ship and she's not meta-breaking, so chances are she'll be made available at a later time.

:cap_like:

[-BSS-]
Members
184 posts
11,526 battles

Great review as always. Hopefully you can get some sleep now. I went ahead and got the ship and actually like it for the most part.

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,157 battles

It's not a bad ship. It's not a good ship either.

However, I've found Irian fun, for the most part. However; as stated above, it's not a must play all the time kind of boat. 

I suppose I'm an odd sort of duck, as I tend to enjoy ships other people hate. What I don't like about it was the method required to get it.

With another however; I had the doubloons sitting about and decided to donate them "for science."

So, is it a must have?

Survey says, "No."

If you like a challenge and have the doubs around and feel like praying to RNG?

Go for it.

Edited by BrokenGamer
  • Cool 1

Members
631 posts
11 battles
3 minutes ago, BrokenGamer said:

If you like a challenge and have the doubs around? Go for it.

Probably the best way to describe it, keep in mind there are tons of other goodies that you get with the boxes.... But the fun factor is real high. I would imagine 80% or more of the players don't realize it has 13.5k deep water torps. It has the "surprise motha…" factor...which makes it fun.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,016 posts
12,508 battles

Pan-Asian premium Cruisers: 2

British saleable premium Cruisers: 1

Dutch premiums period: 0

Sense: 0

• Cool 1

[NGA]
Members
1,868 posts
9,801 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

Pan-Asian premium Cruisers: 2

British saleable premium Cruisers: 1

Dutch premiums period: 0

Sense: 0

If nothing else, @Lert will probably give you a thumbs up.

Members
631 posts
11 battles

Just played a game in it based on this thread, I think Mouse has underestimated this ship. It has a great fire chance, and sneaky torps.. Very good for perma floods and fires. Will definitely house a 19pt captain in this ship. 

Like any tier 8 cruiser if you make a mistake, you get punished....this is more fun than many ships in port. Just had a 3 kill 140k 2300 base xp game. Most players are clueless about the torps, just caught a Des Moines with two from a high tier clan. yes.. it was glorious.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,634 posts
15,390 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

If nothing else, @Lert will probably give you a thumbs up.

I'd broaden his statement though.

Pan European premiums: 0 period

WG's decision to slap a German label on Viribus Unitis just makes me scratch my head and there are plenty of other interesting ships available for a PE tree that aren't specifically Dutch. Austro-Hungarian, Swedish, Polish, etc.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,975 battles
4 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I got her partially because she comes with the upgraded PA commander. Like you, I only spent about 7k doubloons for the complete set of permanent camos and Irian herself. I'd say it was a bargain.

Yeah, I only spent about 2K more than me for the full set, including the special captain and an extra 10-pt PA captain.  And I had the dubs lying around, no cash was spent.

Took her out for a spin, just in Co-Op to get a feel for her, and tried out the TRB.  A Monarch found out that the torps have long range!  Love the guns, but going to get IFHE on her.  She'll be a real terror then.