You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Training videos for 8.0 CV play

10 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
1,882 posts
9,320 battles

Are there any training videos for 8.0 CV play out? I've looked on Youtube and have not seen any yet. I've watched a couple of the community contributors videos about the CV rework but it was not really training videos. The training rooms are locked down and inaccessible currently to target practice. I've tried Co-op but still only doing minimal damage. Tried a couple random battles and really was a major detriment to the team.

Does T4 CV torpedo spreads only have two torpedos to drop in a wide "V" opposed to a tightened group of higher tiers? It seems this is where I am struggling the most (besides being shredded by AA). When is the best time to release? What is the best strategy? Try to spot early? Attack early? I know these are rudimentary basic questions but helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,049 posts

If you find anything out, please let us know.

The folks who are being successful in this are keeping the info to themselves...   so they can keep on being more successful than you.

The 'basic' instructions are in a news article.  The release notes are --- 'somewhere' out there.

I posted a commentary on the lack of advanced information - in less than painful locations than paging through unrelated news articles for several hours.

They removed the auto-drop aim-hack, so it's your best guess how far to lead the target.  Also depends of torpedo speed and 'yellow' arming distance.

Of all the CVs I've tried, I've found the Midway to be the easiest, and the Ranger to be the toughest and most ineffective CV in this release.

They've given IJN AP bombs and I've gotten a lot of citadels...  not much in the way of damage out of them, though..  They are like little destroyer-gun citadels.

However, the midway has nearly unlimited planes, good damage and fast aircraft.  The only downside is the horrendous price of those lost planes at that Hyper AA tier.  You'll get 200K damage, but still lose 50K credits with premium time and premium camo.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
316 posts
5,812 battles
19 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Are there any training videos for 8.0 CV play out? I've looked on Youtube and have not seen any yet. I've watched a couple of the community contributors videos about the CV rework but it was not really training videos. The training rooms are locked down and inaccessible currently to target practice. I've tried Co-op but still only doing minimal damage. Tried a couple random battles and really was a major detriment to the team.

Does T4 CV torpedo spreads only have two torpedos to drop in a wide "V" opposed to a tightened group of higher tiers? It seems this is where I am struggling the most (besides being shredded by AA). When is the best time to release? What is the best strategy? Try to spot early? Attack early? I know these are rudimentary basic questions but helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

For the Torpedo planes, if you keep moving left or right after you started the final attack run with them it doesn't close up (aim) very quick - try and stop moving after you do this and it should close up, also there is a 4-Point Commander skill - Sight  Stabilization - that increases the aiming speed of all the planes.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,216 posts
14,274 battles
22 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

T4 CVs drop one torpedo per run, with a potential to go anywhere within the aiming cone. Drop when the cone is big, and it could go way farther off to the sides. T6 and above are just multiple-torpedo versions of the same aiming cone mechanic (you'll see lighter lines dividing individual torpedo "lanes").

The straighter you fly, the faster the cone narrows. This isn't particularly important for IJN TBs, which can achieve their narrowest cone in a few seconds even when maneuvering. However, for higher tier USN TBs, you will get an extremely wide cone (like the old "panic" spread) unless you completely lock course for several seconds. Even tiny heading adjustments like bumping the mouse will cause it to widen severely at T10. Throttle adjustments (W and S) are okay, so save enough boost gauge for the final attack run.

A basic reference for target approach paths can be found here:

Most CV players seem to be launching rocket planes first and hunting destroyers that are too far ahead of the main fleet, then following up with torpedo or dive bombers onto isolated capital ships afterward.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,049 posts
21 minutes ago, digitaljustice said:

Error...   4 minutes in -- must hit 'F' to return to the carrier --- not automatic.

Very basic information...   but not what we are requesting.  You'll get a lot of that here...  stuff you already know.

1) there is/was a way to repair/restore damaged aircraft in the flight...   haven't found it yet.

2) there is a button that can be pressed to show the operational status of AA and secondary battery guns...   saw a CC use it once, never spoke of again.  Don't know what key.

3) (Useless) hitting 'N' in port will sound horn.  Holding down the RMB in port will blank out all the text and screen/game info.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
316 posts
5,812 battles

Jingles goes into some detail in his latest video, haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but I think it has more info.

Edited by digitaljustice
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,049 posts

Found it was the 'H' button that shows status...

Found it in-game ship controls here...

ShipControls.jpg.4be053f7fb33d65c66ddd70dfe91b39d.jpg

And try to ignore what I just posted here....   lol

[PQUOD]
Members
1,882 posts
9,320 battles

Thank you everyone who is giving advice. It is very much appreciated. I really do want to become proficient at CV play. If learned, I think CV's could be a valuable asset. 

If there are anymore please feel free add. I felt like I had learned by trial and error about as much as I could on my own, which was pitifully inadequate. As mentioned in early threads. I don't plan on selling my CV's. I really enjoy the historical significance. However if I can't learn to contribute more to the team than my very low average of 5K-15k damage and 300k ish give or take XP average per game then my CV's will be relegated to Co-op only along with my HMS Dreadnought.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
12 posts
5,754 battles

The video by Jingles is exceptional.  It show's the pro's and con's of CV play.  His battle in the Saipan has been my experience with that ship so far :cap_rambo: