Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

HMS Audacious Preview and CV Rework Impressions

5 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,596 posts
5,483 battles

Not a bad round.  180K damage in a CV?  Me?  You know something is up with them then, lol.  Anyhow, a look at this awesome CV and talk about the effects of the rework on DDs, CAs and the rest.

[MIA-E]
Beta Testers
1,165 posts
10,971 battles

A much needed voice of reason.  I concur, playing tier 10 DDs  this weekend will not be fun.  I, luckily, do not have any ships left, to grind to tier 10.  I'll mainly be playing ranked for the next week.  

[HELLS]
Members
2,101 posts
20,040 battles

Of much the same view as you, Zoup. I've taken out BBs and cruisers in three random games. Two had CVs, one of them two per side. Somehow we managed to win all three, and I cannot say my experience was good or bad because the red CVs that I did see concentrated on the other side of the map trying to stop a green superiority and left our side alone in both cases. My AA was never tested, and we rolled up the other team's weak side while they tried to tackle our strong side. There was no coordination between the red CVs to try to neutralize a double envelopment and their aircraft were shredded by the grouped AA fire on our strong side. It looks like we faced low-skill or learning curve CV players while ours, without topping the scoreboard, managed to do some damage, eliminated several red DDs,  and held their own.

Since I suck at CV play, want to grind the RN CV line (I am an RN main) and need to learn the new mechanics, I have taken to playing Langley in co-op. So far I find it impossible to inflict any damage, even against the weak AA at low tier, but that's just me learning the ropes. My only points gained have been spotting points, and the weak low tier AA shreds my attack squadrons anyway. I was just starting to get confidence in my CV play in the old meta. Now I have to relearn everything, and that is true for everyone else.

This is going to get interesting....

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,907 posts
8,282 battles

"I have urged calm, and I am still urging calm," that's not a very audacious thing to say, thank god he says "but.." straight afterwards. "Moments of rage" inspire audacity :Smile-_tongue:

Not everybody will be patient, we will, but many won't. people hate change, already, but constant change as tweeks and adjustments occur every week for the next three months?

As for dds, and spotting mechanics, they do need an overhaul, but everybody, all ship classes, must be subject to the same spotting mechanics, whatever they are.

[SEC_8]
Members
27 posts
15,334 battles

This patch is bad business.  As someone who has done IT contracting for the US Govt for 20 years you never Beta test to a whole user population.  Instead you do it to a volunteer group from people who can represent a majority of the users base.  Secondly the CV base in this game from what I have heard is smaller than the other 3 ship types.  So you don't torch the other bigger user base to placate to one smaller group.

And why give the CV's more weapons/capability?  The RPF on the planes is moronic.  It is totally targeted at people trying to cap. (Mostly DD's)  With 2 CV's the first thing they do is sweep the cap areas looking for DD's.  The rocket planes are not needed.  Why give the CV the ability to rotate weapons all the time if your intention was to allow the planes to have cool downs if they lose a squadron?  Why have the unlimited hangar that the CV can't run out of planes?  There is no penalty for the CV if he can only just switch to one of the other bomber, torp planes or rocket planes?

To me this "meta" change is eliminating the ship population control system.  The previous meta was the BB's controlled the CA/CL, the CA/CL controlled the DD's, and the DD's controlled the BB's.  The CV's in the old system even then changed that system of controls if there was a disparity in CV captain ability.  Now the CV's have even more weapons to make the disparity even more unbalanced.  The game is not about just the Unicum players who can figure a way thru their skill to make this meta work.  For every game a high caliber player wins there has to be 12 losers on the other side.  All players of all abilities need to be able to play comfortably or the game dies.

Remember one thing the American Fast Carrier Task Force (TF 58/38) never took any damage from surface ships during the war to my knowledge.  Only damage they suffered was from planes be it carrier based or land based.  Does WOWS need to be like TF 58?  Right now the CV's have that kind of control.  They can eliminate any ship in the game at will if they are good enough or patient enough.  AA fire is not the answer.  Even if you shoot down 100 planes the CV still has 100's more. I don't mean to make this only about a CV rant but there is no natural counter to a CV and never has been.  In the Tom Clancy book Debt of Honor I believe an admiral talking about the American Carrier battlegroup said that to the range limit of the CV's planes no ship is viable unless the battle group commander permits it. (I am sure I misquoted that)  This has been true since 1942 and still is today.  WOWS has to find a way for all the classes to have fun.  Right now cruisers and DD's are not having fun as they are continuously spotted.  The players that use these ships most of the time are a  huge chunk of the player base.  Why run them off to fix CV's?  Ever notice most if not all WOWS advertisements are about ships shooting guns or torps and not planes?

I am not going to delete the game.  My wallet is closed and will stay that way until this fixed.  I don't have to give them any money but they are a business and if enough people do this they will listen.  Like i said it is bad business.....

Edited by NightStalkers_2015

Sign in to follow this