Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JGA012

US CAPT Skill after CV Rework

14 comments in this topic

[ARGEN]
[ARGEN]
Members
19 posts
7,210 battles

Hi

This is my CV capt for the US line please advise about skills

image.thumb.png.2a7d8ec08d30297d334873c708f00770.png

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles

Full AA build like every other ship in the game post 8.0

Members
71 posts
6,775 battles

So any of you guys with more experience in Midway have any advice on ship upgrades? Just finished Lexington grind noticed the aim time seems longer but not that different. 

Current upgrades: Air Group mod 1, Aircraft Engine Mod1, Torp or Attack time? (I can't decide I feel like planes don't last long enough to use extra time anyway), maybe more HP for attack aircraft? (since they are the weakest or maybe dive bombers since they spend more time over target?), Flight Control mod 1 (seems more important than concealment), Air Group mod 2 (for more hp). 

Current Captain skills: Air Supremacy, Torp acceleration, Aircraft armor, Demo Expert, Sight Stab, and CE. I figure I'll either go back for Improved Engines or Improved Boost/Last Grasp for final 2 points. 

Beta Testers
296 posts

On 2/10/2019 at 10:29 PM, PowerSurged said:

So any of you guys with more experience in Midway have any advice on ship upgrades? Just finished Lexington grind noticed the aim time seems longer but not that different. 

Current upgrades: Air Group mod 1, Aircraft Engine Mod1, Torp or Attack time? (I can't decide I feel like planes don't last long enough to use extra time anyway), maybe more HP for attack aircraft? (since they are the weakest or maybe dive bombers since they spend more time over target?), Flight Control mod 1 (seems more important than concealment), Air Group mod 2 (for more hp). 

Current Captain skills: Air Supremacy, Torp acceleration, Aircraft armor, Demo Expert, Sight Stab, and CE. I figure I'll either go back for Improved Engines or Improved Boost/Last Grasp for final 2 points. 

Torp Attack time imo. Rocket planes have been made useless for their primary (and intended use) role as Anti-DD weapons. WG is killing their own rework. The only time rocket planes are useful is if you're attacking large targets.

As far as modules? Fit anything and everything that gives a health increase, aircraft return speed, extra planes on the deck, and (imo) dive bomber health. Midway torps now suck too. They tickle most BBs and a cat with diarrhea has a better flooding chance than the Midway does. Jack up your DB health and use them to attack DDs with. Enjoy it while you can, cause the crybaby DD mains and CCs will p*** and moan about that soon and get HE dive bombers nerfed too somehow, probably with worse dispersion and reduced direct damage and reduced fire chance.

Attached is my USN CV captain as well as what skills I take at which number of captain points. There could be a small argument for Priority Target over the Direction Center For Fighters, but hey. They "buffed" the on-summon fighter. May as well get another fighter in it as well. It's a slight health increase to the summoned fighter's hitpoints as well as another "guaranteed" kill for that squadron if they manage to get up off their butts and actually attack enemy planes, which they're still crap at doing. Just instead of a massive steaming pile of crap, it's now a massive room-temperature pile of crap.

An argument could also be made for taking Superintendent for an extra CV-based fighter consumable too, instead of taking Demo Expert. I just took DE to buff the already semi-decent fire chance of the HE bombers a further 5%.

Likewise, if you don't want the added fire chance nor extra fighter, you can take those 4 points and put them into Concealment Expert to give yourself a tiny bit more margin in being spotted. But you should be hiding behind islands anyway to stay mostly covered from air patrols and plane spotting. Or, just to be one of THOSE people, take those 4 points and drop 2 each into High Alert and Jack Of All Trades.

19pt captain for USN CVs.JPG

Edited by X01_ISAAC_7
Edited for alternative skill selections for Demo Expert and Direction Center

[POP]
Members
314 posts
5,189 battles

This is my Saipan/Midway captain.  He is optimized for my Saipan as I prefer the playstyle of that ship than my midway and honestly do more damage in it even at t-10.  The build emphasizes the speed of the Saipan's planes and is built around the use of it's torpedo bombers.  The fast somewhat stealthy planes work well in small squadrons.  I rarely attack with a full group, typically I drop all but 2 planes prior to making a run.  Doing this I very rarely run out of planes even hitting hard t10 Targets.  

I don't care much for Dive bombers and the most of the US line seems to have rather weak torpedo bombers however the Saipan seems to be a good mix of both Japanese and American qualities.  To me it is to US cv's what the Massachusetts is to the US BB's (for different reasons obviously).  If you do not understand her weaknesses and work around them you will not enjoy her at all but if you learn to work with her strengths you will do well in her.

As far as taking concealment in place of the HP buff and post attack speed boost, the added HP is nice and the last attack speed boost is nice however until they fix the way AA stacks with ships even 1 km of concealment can mean the difference between getting a drop off or loosing your planes before you are able to.

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[-GPS-]
Members
2,753 posts
28,648 battles

Am I the only one who thinks (a) Concealment is a good thing and (b) Air Supremacy skill isn't worth even 1 point except on Saipan?

Here is my Midway commander.  Plz note Russian captain with special Survivability Expert skill

shot-19_03.14_14_52.27-0026.thumb.jpg.57f522530d0d9a555e502814c958e53e.jpg

[ASHIP]
Members
63 posts
6,483 battles

It does for now, there has been talk they are going to take that away from planes and or modify how it works, right now it almost mandatory esp at tier 8 when the Dd are your main target in the 1st part of a match

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,394 posts
3,390 battles
On 3/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, Landing_Skipper said:

Am I the only one who thinks (a) Concealment is a good thing and (b) Air Supremacy skill isn't worth even 1 point except on Saipan?

Here is my Midway commander.  Plz note Russian captain with special Survivability Expert skill

shot-19_03.14_14_52.27-0026.thumb.jpg.57f522530d0d9a555e502814c958e53e.jpg

This one looks close  to me and I actually think I'm going to train up Ovechikin as well for the extra HPs boost. (I've got a regular 19 point captain there now)     But i'm thinking demolition expert for concealment and dropping the spare point on engine cooling upgrade.     

[-GPS-]
Members
2,753 posts
28,648 battles
On 5/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, RA6E_ said:

This one looks close  to me and I actually think I'm going to train up Ovechikin as well for the extra HPs boost. (I've got a regular 19 point captain there now)     But i'm thinking demolition expert for concealment and dropping the spare point on engine cooling upgrade.     

I now think Concealment Expert only helps IJN torpedo bombers. You may not be able to stealth torp, but limiting time to turn, launch a fighter, and press O helps.

For the ship itself, it depends on how you like to position and how much you hate getting sunk by DDs in the back lines. CE helps Enterprise because her base detection is something like 14.1 km. 

[PVE]
Members
2,942 posts
21,599 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 5:10 AM, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot_42 said:

does Radio Location work for planes... sniffing out the direction to the closest ship??  how does it show up on screen?

On 3/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, JamesZ28 said:

It does for now, there has been talk they are going to take that away from planes and or modify how it works, right now it almost mandatory esp at tier 8 when the Dd are your main target in the 1st part of a match

Actually they removed that skill from CVs a couple patches ago...which is probably why it isn't showing up on screen for you if you have it.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,264 posts
3,176 battles

I run an Ovechkin on my Enterprise with this build:

T1:  Air Supremacy, Improved Engine Boost, Last Gasp  (4,6,8 across)

T2:  Torpedo Acceleration, Improved Engines, Adrenaline Rush (4,6,7 across)

T3:  Survivability Expert, Aircraft Armor   (2,4 across)

T4:  Sight Stabilization (4 across)

Concealment is pointless IMO for American as its just too high to start with.

Adrenaline Rush can help planes escape after F-keying out as they take damage, its my least liked skill in the group though, Jack of All Trades might be a better choice.

Sign in to follow this