Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

On the Subject of Unlimited Planes

11 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,197 posts

In WWII, relative to a single battle, the production of planes by the US was essentially unlimited. American industry produced hundreds of thousands planes during WWII. My grandma was literally a "Rosie Riveter," as that was her job at Boeing building bombers. Her plant was producing a heavy bomber each day by the end of the war!

The planes on the new CVs are essentially unlimited in the respect that the supply lines are constantly replenishing them and the aviation schools are constantly training new flight sergeants and officers. However, should you lose planes during a sortie from a squadron, that squadron will take time to replenish to full numbers. Lose too many planes from too many squadrons and you will find yourself sending less-than-full squadrons out at each sortie. You also can have all the planes of one type returning to the ship, which leaves you none of that type to launch until they come back, refuel, and rearm.

The number of aircraft that can be replaced in a single battle is unlimited. This prevents the situation in which only an aircraft carrier is left under the player’s control, which would mean no chance of influencing the outcome of a battle. But don't waste your aircraft mindlessly, since you will have to wait a long time until the new ones are ready for takeoff, significantly reducing your battle efficiency.

Yes, Virginia, 8.0 CVs do have a "cool down" (of sorts).

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,909 posts
8,282 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

In WWII, relative to a single battle, the production of planes by the US was essentially unlimited. American industry produced hundreds of thousands planes during WWII. My grandma was literally a "Rosie Riveter," as that was her job at Boeing building bombers. Her plant was producing a heavy bomber each day by the end of the war!

The planes on the new CVs are essentially unlimited in the respect that the supply lines are constantly replenishing them and the aviation schools are constantly training new flight sergeants and officers. However, should you lose planes during a sortie from a squadron, that squadron will take time to replenish to full numbers. Lose too many planes from too many squadrons and you will find yourself sending less-than-full squadrons out at each sortie. You also can have all the planes of one type returning to the ship, which leaves you none of that type to launch until they come back, refuel, and rearm.

I think we should replace the adjective, "unlimited" with "inexhaustible" .

Members
631 posts
11 battles

Unlimited planes? Played a tier 8 cv in a ten match against two Mino's a DM and Worcester plus two more BB's.... My planes were virtually shot down as soon as they were sighted. All three sets were always on cool down. At the end I would just race them over to spot their remaining Mino, kind of like a sonar blip to let my team know where he was, there was no chance of doing any damage to him. my planes were like 3/12 4/12 1/12

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts
27 minutes ago, Excuse_Maker said:

Unlimited planes? Played a tier 8 cv in a ten match against two Mino's a DM and Worcester plus two more BB's.... My planes were virtually shot down as soon as they were sighted. All three sets were always on cool down. At the end I would just race them over to spot their remaining Mino, kind of like a sonar blip to let my team know where he was, there was no chance of doing any damage to him. my planes were like 3/12 4/12 1/12

Once you learn risk management and flak avoidance you wont have such issue. Never have had a squad not have enough reserve to full launch yet in live, and honestly barely lose planes at all unless i'm being greedy for something past what I would normally F key for.

Members
631 posts
11 battles
1 minute ago, Pulicat said:

Once you learn risk management and flak avoidance you wont have such issue. Never have had a squad not have enough reserve to full launch yet in live, and honestly barely lose planes at all unless i'm being greedy for something past what I would normally F key for.

I agree and am learning on the fly, But this game was so dense with AA it was comical. 

Beta Testers
361 posts
137 battles
40 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Game =/= Real life.

This is an arcade game, not a sim.

All that matters is balance, and this game is almost a reflection of a dev team that is constantly attempting to break some sort of world record for worst balance ever seen.

Risk vs Reward is a fundamental of ALL balance. CVs are the absolute LOWEST risk ship type in the game, followed by BBs. Yet both of those ships have the highest reward.
You can literally play  CVs with one hand and have half of your attention span binging a Netflix series, and still get 100k damage games.
With the current risk levels, CVs should have the LOWEST average damage and kills per match.... in a balanced environment.

[PSP]
Members
8,197 posts

Whether you are just cannon fodder of can actually contribute depends a lot on your CV tier in relation to the highest tier in the match. My Lexington usually is only a minor annoyance to tier X ships, and only because it spots them temporarily. However, if it's high tier I can cause some significant damage.

[PSP]
Members
8,197 posts
1 minute ago, KnyxUDL said:

All that matters is balance, and this game is almost a reflection of a dev team that is constantly attempting to break some sort of world record for worst balance ever seen.

Many, if not most, of us came his for the historicity of the game. If all that matters is balance you should perhaps play a fantasy game where nothing else matters. Historically, ships were not "balanced" as some were better and some were worse. Technically, the more experience players should be playing "UP" ships and the newer players more "OP" ones. There is little challenge playing the most powerful ship in the game is all you do is club baby seals with it.

Beta Testers
361 posts
137 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Many, if not most, of us came his for the historicity of the game. If all that matters is balance you should perhaps play a fantasy game where nothing else matters. Historically, ships were not "balanced" as some were better and some were worse. Technically, the more experience players should be playing "UP" ships and the newer players more "OP" ones. There is little challenge playing the most powerful ship in the game is all you do is club baby seals with it.

This is first and foremost a game. Second, it is an arcade game. Not a sim.

It doesn't matter what you claim or you "think" most people play this game for. Irrelevant. If you came here looking for a naval sim, you came to the wrong place.

Balance is all that matters.

The fact that you believe that it is somehow okay for "UP" and "OP" ships to exist speaks wonders.

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Whether you are just cannon fodder of can actually contribute depends a lot on your CV tier in relation to the highest tier in the match. My Lexington usually is only a minor annoyance to tier X ships, and only because it spots them temporarily. However, if it's high tier I can cause some significant damage.

USN got the booty stealth nerf on it's torpedo aim time. Pretty junk in comparison to IJN currently, since IJN torps aim better, are faster, and can be launched further away from a target.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,082 battles

The problem as far as I can tell is that a) planes get deleted too quickly so b) people bait ships to use their DFAA and immediately hit F, thereby saving all their planes so c) they seemingly have inexhaustible supplies that d) make for each fleet to be almost constantly spotted

T10 play right now is disgustingly paralyzed. It takes over half the match for a cap to get taken sometimes. No one is willing to push and be even more under the constantly spotted environment these non-stop planes creates. And it's bleeding out a bit to lower tier play as well.

My solution would be to add a cooldown between the current squadron either being all used up or recalled but also increase the planes HP so players don't feel like they have to immediately recall when a DFAA gets popped and also have a chance to get in more than one attack wave....or maybe increase the size of the attack waves to half the squadron.

How it is right now obviously can't stay.

Edited by LubzinNJ

Sign in to follow this