Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Best Low Tier (I-IV) ships to play this game?

24 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I know you will hate me but I say what I feel at this moment. I played some games with high tier ships since yesterday and I feel unable to make a possitive contribution to my team so I decided to play this game only with low tier ships. Every game I had in Tier >VII is crowded by CVs and if I am playing with my japanese destroyers I can't spot nothing and I finally give up and I am sunk by those new planes that are always around you throwing bombs or whatever objects they have. Almost the same with battleships, I am paired with higher tier CVs and I can't play properly because once I am focused, is a game over. I can even admit is my fault, yes, I admit it, my skills are not good enough to bring any sort of useful support to my teams. For such reasons I decided to come back to lower tiers. I just want to play this game with ships of an historical era where planes didn't play a decisive role or were a decisive factor in the battle result, the First World War and Russo-Japanese War, the dreadnought era, where at least historically, planes didn't play a significant role in naval battles. I don't support the idea that battles are decided by the skills of a CV player, and that is the reason I decided to play this game in low tiers, where at least I can have some enjoyment and my skills are good enough to make a possitive contribution to my teams. Moreover, due to the fact that I don't have much time to play, is costing me a hell to understand the newer mechanics. I am not a kid, I am a 33 year old man with responsibilities.

Can you please, then, recommend me good low tier ships (I-IV, can be max. V) to play this game? It can be of any class except carriers since I am not interested in this kind of warfare. I have doublons and I can afford to have a premium account so I can grind captain skills to take advantage of it.

Thank you very much for reading. 

• Cool 2

[FURIA]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,741 posts
5,661 battles

My choice is  Arkansas beta, but thats probably not usefull to you. 
I advice you to go with something with good AA. May be the american battleship line. Anyway you are going to find more CV in lower tiers, but at least you will have a good AA. Remenber never to staty alone and don't push where you don't have intellinge.
Islands shoot torps!

[HIT]
Members
152 posts
7,711 battles

If you like DDs then you can’t go wrong with Umikaze.

Also, give your own user name and pic a try!

Members
619 posts
7,247 battles

At Tier 3 cruisers are my personal favorites.  All of them really for different reasons but the Bogatyr is awesome for just annoying BB's with a constant stream of fire.    At T4 the Clemson is my go to of all the ships at that tier although the Kuma does not suck in the cruiser category.  Honestly I like all the ships that don't have "battleship"or "Carrier"  in their description at T4.  But Clemson and Kuma are my top two picks.  If you can scrape together some coal you can get the Yubari at T4 which is the only ship at that tier to have def aa.  Her guns are very accurate but there are not many of them.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
2,026 posts
17 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I know you will hate me but I say what I feel at this moment. I played some games with high tier ships since yesterday and I feel unable to make a possitive contribution to my team so I decided to play this game only with low tier ships. Every game I had in Tier >VII is crowded by CVs and if I am playing with my japanese destroyers I can't spot nothing and I finally give up and I am sunk by those new planes that are always around you throwing bombs or whatever objects they have. Almost the same with battleships, I am paired with higher tier CVs and I can't play properly because once I am focused, is a game over. I can even admit is my fault, yes, I admit it, my skills are not good enough to bring any sort of useful support to my teams. For such reasons I decided to come back to lower tiers. I just want to play this game with ships of an historical era where planes didn't play a decisive role or were a decisive factor in the battle result, the First World War and Russo-Japanese War, the dreadnought era, where at least historically, planes didn't play a significant role in naval battles. I don't support the idea that battles are decided by the skills of a CV player, and that is the reason I decided to play this game in low tiers, where at least I can have some enjoyment and my skills are good enough to make a possitive contribution to my teams. Moreover, due to the fact that I don't have much time to play, is costing me a hell to understand the newer mechanics. I am not a kid, I am a 33 year old man with responsibilities.

Can you please, then, recommend me good low tier ships (I-IV, can be max. V) to play this game? It can be of any class except carriers since I am not interested in this kind of warfare. I have doublons and I can afford to have a premium account so I can grind captain skills to take advantage of it.

Thank you very much for reading. 

In Tier 3 my faves have always been Oleg/Bogatyr and St.  Louis/Charleston, but unfortunately they get uptiered into Tier 4 Langley failfests all the time.

If you have a high-skill Japanese captain, put him in the Mikasa with AFT, BFT, DE, and IFHE. Pop on a speed flag and go evaporate reds with your secondaries. The 12" main guns are just a bonus.

[FAE]
Members
2,338 posts
2,886 battles

Uhm okay hot cakes. First of all y'all missed the most OP silver ship by far. The Orion. 

(Okay maybe the Clemson is more OP, but she's one dimensional after a while. You're gonna win if you rush the fk outta those losers.) 

After that, Ishizuchi. And old Hosho was crazy. 

Clemson though. Probably the easiest bet. 

[TCNNA]
Members
850 posts
15,266 battles

Clemson DD or pan Asian Shenyang

BB konig Albert for close range brawl , but not for sale anymore then take Kaiser

Cruiser Kuma  or french duguy trouin

Imho ymmv

Members
849 posts
14,844 battles

V-25 is quite possibly the best ship that will never see carriers (outside a fail-div).

[WOLF6]
Members
877 posts
3,428 battles
30 minutes ago, Malamute_Kid said:

If you can scrape together some coal you can get the Yubari at T4 which is the only ship at that tier to have def aa.  Her guns are very accurate but there are not many of them.

Definitely this. It's also a good ship to get practice in for higher tier heavy cruisers.

[SPCU]
Members
824 posts
5,046 battles

Orion for sure.

Umikaze as well.

And though i may be the only one who feels this way... danae. Super fragile but handles like a ballerina... and single fires torps...

[WOLF6]
Members
877 posts
3,428 battles

Oh yes and if you want to try out destroyers the Campbeltown is in the arsenal and has very hard hitting torps. Plays like the IJN line really.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
412 posts
3,427 battles

Charleston would be my vote.  It's a St. Louis-class cruiser, except you can put any of your Captains/Admirals in it without penalty.  Lots of dakka, dakka, dakka.

Cheers.

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles

Yubari is proving  to be a lot of fun, just got her yesterday since I had heard she could be good against aircraft, and I like the IJN ships in general. Kuma is another fun tier IV Cruiser and one of the longest serving cruisers in my port because of it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,441 posts
20,369 battles

KUMA! Probably my favorite tier 4 ship. There loads of low tier stuff that is fun to play, I enjoy Katori, the Itchy, Smith, and any of the gunboats similar to St Louis as well. Just a whole herd of fun stuff at the lower tiers honestly, the list of crap ships is probably shorter.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
412 posts
3,427 battles

IJN:

Yubari and Kuma were mentioned earlier.

You could also give Mikasa (Tier II) a go.   Chikuma is my personal favorite at that level for tech tree ships.

[GLF]
Beta Testers
626 posts
11,789 battles

For me, it's Kuma, Yubari and Tenryu

Those are my 3 most played ships, and they are a blast.....no cheats, no gimmicks, just scoot and shoot....lol

Members
161 posts
9,903 battles

Since no one has mentioned it yet, the T3 UK DD Valkyrie is a hidden gem. It has a high rate of fire to and good torp reload time. Since T3 often gets top tier MM, Valkyrie feels really strong to play. The RN smokes let's you quickly disengage and set up ambush since no one has hydro. My first game in her with only a 6 pt captain specces PT, LS, BFT got me a High Caliber and Kraken. If you have the Vampire, it's like that, except for the smokes. 

Edited by Der_Eigenvektor
  • Cool 1

Members
498 posts
1,119 battles
3 minutes ago, Der_Eigenvektor said:

Since no one has mentioned it yet, the T3 UK DD Valkyrie is a hidden gem. It has a high rate of fire to and good torp reload time. Since T3 often gets top tier MM, Valkyrie feels really strong to play. The RN smokes let's you quickly disengage and set up ambush since no one has hydro. My first game in her with only a 6 pt captain specces PT, LS, BFT got me a High Caliber and Kraken. 

I agree, but did not remember name. I love that ship.

[PVE]
Members
613 posts
6,218 battles

Friant is set up like a hightier cruiser, I'm keeping it. 

St Louis for guns, Mikasa for secondary fights, umikaze for stealth torps. 

[GAMMA]
Members
821 posts
13,387 battles
5 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

If you don't want to deal with carriers, and I completely understand that, you will be limited to tier 1 and tier 2 ships since they are the only ones who can't see carriers due to the matchmaking spreads. As far as specific ships... I haven't played enough tier 1 lately to know what the most competitive ships in that tier are. Before it got hit with the nerf bat, I would have said Black Swan, but it got hit hard with the nerf bat several patches ago. As for tier 2...

In tier 2... If you want to play a battleship, you only have one choice, Mikasa. Most people don't like her because she has 4 main guns that tend to be a bit wonky (basically not enough shells to fill in the pattern and guarantee lots of hits. There is also the little matter of her being quite slow. However she turns well, has a heavy (if somewhat short-ranged) secondary battery, has over 30,000 HP, and can take a beating. Mikasa rewards a patient player who doesn't expect to be top of his team.

In tier 2, if you want to play a cruiser there are a number of good options in tier 2. In the tech tree, I like the Novik, Dresden, and Weymouth. Chikuma, Chester, and Jurien I don't care for.

Of the ships I recommend, Novik is fast, carries a heavy main battery of eight, 5", rapid fire guns (of which you can fire five per broadside) that have identical velocities for the AP and HE shells, answers her rudder quickly, and has a tight turning radius. The downside is that Novik has the fewest hit points of the tier 2, tech-tree cruisers at 14,500. For me, the runners up in the tech tree are the Dresden and Weymouth. Dresden is relatively fast, has twelve rapid-fire, low-velocity, 4" guns (6 to a broadside), is fast, and handles well. She also has a generous dollop of hit-points (17,100). Dresden's weakness comes in the form of the low velocity of her guns. The shell arcs are bad, and (at least for me) I find that to consistently hit a fast moving target I need to be inside 7km. With Dresden, your play-style is simple, press the 1 key, angle the ship to get as many guns on target as possible w/o showing too much broadside, and hold down the left mouse button. Weymouth has eight 6" guns (5 per broadside),  a high top speed, just over 20,000 HP, and decent handling. The biggest quirk is that her guns only shoot AP rounds because she's British. Her reload is also a bit long, but...

I don't care for Chikuma because she always felt that she was slow to answer the helm. The stats say she shouldn't be. And I should probably try her again since I haven't played her in a while. It just always felt that way when I originally worked my way through tier 2. The other complaint is her guns are slow firing. Chester is another one of those ships I just didn't like. Stock, she's a stinker. Upgraded she is better. Her armament tops out at 6 guns, of which you can get 4 on target at once. She's decently fast, and handles OK. (I always thought of her as sluggish to answer the helm, but again I played through her a long time ago and was comparing her to the Erie in that respect...) Probably the biggest complaint I have about Chester is that giant raised forecastle provides an excellent aiming point for people who want to smack her hard. Jurien... She's French. What do you expect.... Actually the issue with her is that she's slow, handles badly, and has a very long reload IMO.

If you want premium cruisers I recommend Albany or Emden. Albany is slow (20kts) and only has six, 6" guns (of which she can fire 4 in a broadside), and is a big slow answering her rudder. However her guns hit relatively hard, she has a decent amount of HP (16,500), turns very well once she starts to answer the helm (360 meters). And Albany is low slung compared to some of the other tier 2 ships. As a result she's a bit tougher target to hit. Emden is basically a slightly slower Dresden with 2 fewer (but slightly faster firing) guns. If you like Dresden, you'll like Emden. I don't have any experience with Diana so I'm going to refrain from commenting on her.

If you want to play a tech tree DD at tier 2... There are a couple good choices. I'd recommend looking at Storozhevoi and V25 since I think they are the most effective for the average player. Both are fast, stealthy, have heavy torpedo armaments, and handle extremely well. Both also are a bit fragile since they have low HP.  Sampson has a heavy torpedo armament, high velocity guns, and lots of HP. However its slow and a it has a high surface detection range. Umikaze is relatively fast, is stealthy, has lots of HP, and has very long ranged torpedoes. The downside to Umikaze is the guns are for drying your laundry on not shooting since they are so bad, the torpedoes are slow, and you only have 4 tubes. I haven't made up my mind about Medea. She has good, quick-firing guns, but only 3 of them. She has decent torpedoes, but only 4 tubes that reload very, very slowly. She's reasonably fast and agile. She's reasonably stealthy... I get the feeling there is potential and I just need to practice with her. Longjiang is a hard pass IMO. She's basically a V25 with 2 fewer tubes, 1 more gun, and deep-water torps. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone try to torp another DD with a Longjiang.

If you want a premium, tier 2 DD... Get Tachibana. She has five, quick-firing, relatively hard hitting 3" guns. She's reasonably fast, quite agile, and extremely stealthy, especially with concealment expert. My only complaint is her torpedoes. She has 4 tubes firing that fire 44kt, 5km torpedoes. They're usable but you have to get close. That said, because they're slow and because her guns are good, you can play her as a gunboat and people tend to forget you have torpedoes... I've often outplayed other DD drivers in Tachibana because of the combination of good traits she has.

If you don't mind seeing carriers then I'll add recommendations for tier 3 and 4 to this list, but based on what you said about not liking all the reborked CVs in games and the length of this, I'm going to stop here for now.

Edited by jkirschy

Members
619 posts
7,247 battles

Ya know, Tier 4 really is my favorite tier in the game.  I find that overall I have the most fun at this tier.  I like the ships, I vastly prefer the play style..  I get a little tired of the same old maps sometimes but other than that if I never took  my tier 8-10 ships out again I'd still be fine playing tiers 3 - 5 and ignoring the rest.

Members
152 posts
9,676 battles

Get a couple of T1 ships, does not matter which ones, they're inexpensive and fun to play.  You will learn to play better by going back to them.   I keep a few on hand just for the fun of it.  I also got the Charleston with coal, again, inexpensive and fun to do from time to time.  

If you play T6 and lower, you won't lose credits in a battle or it would be hard to, so every battle is progress till you feel like playing a higher tier again.  Co-ops used to be fun with a mid to high tier ship but those days seemed to have passed.  With low tier ships, random battles are more fun but the wait time makes me go to co-ops usually.  I'd start with T1 and work your way up, you'll enjoy it.

[GAMMA]
Members
821 posts
13,387 battles
1 hour ago, Malamute_Kid said:

Ya know, Tier 4 really is my favorite tier in the game.  I find that overall I have the most fun at this tier.  I like the ships, I vastly prefer the play style..  I get a little tired of the same old maps sometimes but other than that if I never took  my tier 8-10 ships out again I'd still be fine playing tiers 3 - 5 and ignoring the rest.

I used to feel the same way. Especially since there are a lot of good ships in that tier. Then I started getting games with 3 CVs per team.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this