You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrCoffee

CV Rework -- Comments

14 comments in this topic

[-GS-]
Members
13 posts
3,583 battles

Ok....I've been playing around with the Langley for a bit. Here's my feedback.

First, the Good-ish:

1. I love the rocket attack craft. Yes, I like rockets. I also like the fact that I can actually launch an attack without all of the aircraft being shot down. But more on that later.
  2. Having the squadrons launch one at a time gives me more air-time with the airplanes. No more having all of my planes deleted from the game because of one bad/unlucky run.
  3. Being able to dodge isolated flak clouds is a plus. it also adds some excitement to the game.
  4. Being able to make several attack runs is nice. Miss one salvo? Take another run before you have to send those planes back to the carrier. Allows you to make several attacks on several different ships. That's awesome!
  5. I do think this new mode has a lot of promise. I like being able to "fly" the aircraft rather than only having the "top-down" view all of the time. I do feel like I'm more of a player, rather than an observer.

Now, the Bad:

1. You can only launch *one* squadron at a time. Can only utilize 2 - 3 aircraft at a time. Gone are the days where you can launch torpedos from two different directions. Sure, I hated it when I was on the receiving end, but that as a great way to rack up damage. However, also being able to attack with a limited amount of aircraft means that you just can't do a lot of damage -- other than catching a ship at 1000 or 2000 hp. 
2. You can only attack with 2 - 3 aircraft at once, but the enemy ships can shoot down *all* of your planes while you're on the way in. I'd rather a few planes make a run and the rest circle outside of flak range.
3. LImited ability to dodge. Airplanes have the ability to move in three dimensions...but the game places you in two dimensions. That's when the more heavily armed ships will throw up a "wall" of flak that you can't avoid because you can't fly over or under it. Maybe used the roller in the center of the mouse (that you use to scroll) to control altitude?
4. Planes need an HP boost or AA guns need to be nerfed. I was playing the Langley and went up against a Tier 5 or 6 Battleship. It might have been Tier 4...I don't know. My aircraft kept being deleted. It was so annoying. I would understand this at levels 6 or 8. But level 4? Seems like my aircraft should last a *little* longer. I quit playing for the night when I had several squadrons chewed up by a *destroyer.* :-(
5. It's fun to play -- until you get shot down -- but doesn't seem as realistic. When I see World War II movies -- like Midway, etc -- I see carriers throwing all of their airplanes into the air and sending them to battle. Controlling one squadron at a time means that you're micro-managing. You can't be what I'd envision -- the true carrier commander -- if you're flying all of the planes one squadron at a time. Maybe this is the way to make the game more interesting, but an option to let the planes control themselves -- similar to the old mode -- would be nice. I just don't know if that would be possible.
6. Rocket aircraft are my favorite, torpedo bombers are next, then dive bombers. Why? Because the AA is so strong (see #4) that getting close enough to launch all ordinances -- except rockets -- is suicide. I don't know how many torp bombers and dive bombers I lost before I gave up and went back to rocket planes!

Overall, it's been a frustrating experience. I suppose  I wouldn't mind how quickly the planes get shot down -- I could get used to dodging and whatever -- if the CV could actually do damage. I can *kinda* do some damage in Co-Op, but I've about given up on Random Battles. I don't think you can do enough damage to matter -- between only being able to launch a squadron at a time and only being able to attack with 2 - 3 aircraft at a time.

Again...I think there is potential...but the CV seems just about irrelevant now. I wasn't the best CV player, but I liked the fact that I could turn the tide of a match if I had a great play or lucky break. You won't see that now.

Edited by MrCoffee
typo

[KH]
Members
6 posts
2,333 battles

I absolutely hate this update.  it completely ruined any small amount of fun CV class had.  Here are my issues....

1) My aircraft get stuck!  I had long portions of the game where I could not steer my aircraft.  One squad flew straight into the boarder and I had no control.

2) I can't go back to my ship to deal with incoming fire, dodge torps, or deal with a DD.... my squad returns to aircraft via future Star Trek teleporter technology and I have to relaunch them.  Gone are the days of multitasking

3) I can only launch one squad at a time.  boring, boring... BORING!!!!   CV's were the class that catered to us that like to multitask.  Now we the majority of the time is watching a single squad fly toward where you hope a target is.  It is so boring!!

4) The aiming system, which I know you thought would require skill and be more fun... is the opposite.  it is so horrendous to try and control your planes it is not fun at all.  Every ship gets a lead marker on where the torps should be launched... Not CV planes though.  

5)  I played a tier 3,4 game and most of the time my planes couldn't even make it to the ships to fire.  On Tier 3 and Tier 4 ships!!!   THE ABSOLUTELY F IS GOING ON!?!?   

Overall, you are better game devs than this.  I KNOW you are.  This doesn't look like it was properly bug tested, or tested for the 'fun' factor.  The planes are not realistic because they teleport back to the ship.  You can't multi-task or control multiple squads, and where is the fighters?   Half the fun was trying to catch the other CV snoozing and snipe their planes with fighters.  That was half the CV game!!   Now it is gone.  why????

[REEF]
Beta Testers
836 posts
9,286 battles

The rework is a failure as far as I'm concerned.  I quit playing CV's over T5 when they added the fighter strafing, talking about unrealistic!  Now I've sold all of my CV's as I am useless in one.  Right now regular game play is no fun with planes almost constantly harassing me as I play a BB or CL/CA from the front.  I''m worthless in a DD as well!

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
143 posts
2,439 battles

I don’t have a problem with plane control, other than the fact I suck at aiming.  I think CV’s are a bit more fun to play now, with the unlimited, albeit slow to replenish planes. I think a flak rework is needed, as your planes do tend to get chewed up pretty badly during and after your attack run.

as far as CV control is concerned, if a ship is shooting at you, you’re dead anyway.

overall, I think after some tweaks over a few patches, things will be better.  Low tiers are a struggle at the moment, with the lack of planes/ordinance flying to the target, but I like the attack run aspect.

[-CIV-]
Members
4 posts
11,143 battles

i think cv should be top tier only not having t8 in t10 battles.t8 planes seem to just die quickly and at times not getting drops. i do find it hard to play my lex im really terible with the new game play not liking to much

Members
4 posts
4,888 battles

This rework has completely nullified the purpose (as I saw It) of carriers. You can't attack other carriers, you no longer have fighters to shoot down the other carriers planes and provide air cover for you team mates. It has ceased to be fun, the AA is so overpowered that I can't even get an attack off before the squad is destroyed let alone actually mange to sink someone. I always enjoyed cv's. they were laid back, like spgs in tanks til wg nerfed the fun out of them as well. Looks like they have managed to do it again. Large sigh.

[MDM]
Members
25 posts
8,685 battles

Eu definitivamente odiei a nova mecânica dos porta-aviões. O desempenho em jogo dos porta-aviões na equipe vem sofrendo em todas as partidas que participei até o momento. Sinceramente, gostei mais da velha mecânica. O desempenho do navio foi melhor. Estou começando a pensar que os porta-aviões não são mais necessários no jogo.

Edited by DemetriusDF79

[SOB]
Members
6 posts
4,397 battles

The original problems this update was intended to fix was a simple one, certain premium ships were given such power that normal, researched CVs simply melted away. I and another researched CV were once pitted against CVs that flew a total of SIX fighter wings. We were wiped off the board as anything but a moving target in less than three minutes. We were simple buried under fighters. I suppose this was addressed... apparently by making the CV almost a joke. Seriously, with the amped up AA and everything else, CVs are now only good for harassing DDs (you might get lucky and sink one,) attacking other CVs if there's no other ships around, and playing against bots. I do kindof like the concept of the different aircraft wings (attack, torp and bomb,) but they're basically useless when you can't survive long enough to get a single aircraft near anything bigger than a DD. If the intent was to allow the CVs some ability to play, rather than getting swept off the board by premium cvs, the miss wasn't even near, but apparently signals the end of CV play, period. If the intent was to end all CV play, bull's eye. 

If you want to keep CV play, which I personally do, I would suggest nerfing the overwhelming AA by 15% and allowing vertical maneuver for the aircraft squadrons.

[NCBL]
Members
20 posts
4,328 battles

The AA is ridiculously OP. In Co-op an Iowa can shoot down a tier 10 carrier's entire flight 8km away even when the carrier planes are maneuvering defensively.  I've seen it 3 times now. Add another battleship and the carrier becomes useless because it can't put out the damage fast enough to sink either one of them with their heals. It's even worse when the carrier is a tier 8. Now add in the sector reinforcement AA in random battles with the Manual Fire Control for AA Armament captain skill and there's just no point in playing a carrier.

That said, I'm keeping my two tier 4 carriers in the hopes changes will be made during February to bring some balance to carriers and AA. If by March carriers are still useless, then I'll sell them.

Members
94 posts
21,123 battles

Carriers are now useless.  I think there will be even fewer carrier players now than before.  At least the old style RTS play made carriers important.  If it was a balance issue, then it should have been fixed.  Now carriers are hard to play and do very little to change the outcome of a match.  Why play them?

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
96 posts
1,910 battles

Been playing Langley for a bit now.  Maybe it's different with other CV's, but I think I can safely say that Langley at least is COMPLETELY [edited]USELESS.  Rocket planes: good speed, good durability, lots of hits,  don't actually do damage or start any fires, so a total waste of time , only good for spotting.  Torp planes:  slow, so fragile that you're lucky to get one torp off before they all die, torps go out at crazy unpredictable angles and are so slow that they almost always miss.  If they hit, they only do 3k damage anyway so almost totally useless.  Bombers:  Slow, fragile, you can actually set fires, so maybe a little useful, but tiny amounts of damage otherwise. 

The UI is pretty though

Edited by Professor_Jumbo

[NNC]
Members
265 posts
8,669 battles

Rework is boring and lazy and I wont support this game with anymore money people always use the its a f2p game well spend away boys provide me with content I wont hardly play because as of now I am a leech

Beta Testers
200 posts
2,012 battles

I had success being strictly a scout and not attacking well unless a ship beached themselves or due to engine damage stalls or they are AFK but flying around spotting and avoiding combat an hitting F to have the planes return home if I lose one or two seems to work.

I wish I could let the AI do the attack just painting the target picking the direction and go <attack that ship> it would be more successful than as a disabled player with poor hands trying to micromanage the attack.

And I want to hit with all the planes so I can do decent damage.

Members
1 post
5,098 battles

Plane are okay against equal tier AA. Anything higher and you can not approach to attack range for bombs or torpedoes. Playing against AA that is 2 tiers higher is just painful. Either AA as a whole needs a rework or plane HP needs a buff. Maybe a buff against higher tier AA? 

The aiming seems off for bombers, the white ellipse you see in flight mode is not where the bombers will target. It's off by at least 1 whole ellipse. You need the white ellipse to overshoot the target and hold the drop.

DDs are paying the price, they don't have enough AA mounts to fight off rocket and bomber aircraft. Larger ships can punish the small attacking flights. Maybe a target selection that will change the number of planes in the attacking flight. DDs current flight numbers, CA/CL plus 1 aircraft, BB/CV half squadron. 

American Aircraft torpedoes are terrible. Slow, low damage, small flight numbers per attack, and the individual tracks the torpedoes will take are not communicated effectively to the player.