You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Salvo921

British Destroyers Opinion

9 comments in this topic

[UTWE]
Members
244 posts
3,367 battles

I completed RN DD's a few months ago and really wanted to share my opinion on the line for anyone who's deciding whether to go up RN DD's or not. RN DD's are so worth playing, they have awesome guns, really good concealment, decent torpedoes, and they're super pretty.

I only played about 10 matches in total of the first 3 RN DD's so I can't really judge them, they just seemed like scaled down versions of the later ones like most low tier DD's. But Acasta is AMAZING, its hard to get a bad match in this ship, it's got fantastic guns with 8 single fire torpedoes at T5. The large number of them as well as the ability to single launch them, in my experience, makes Acasta just as effective as a torpedo boat as a gun boat. However I still use its guns more because the torpedoes only have a range of 6km so it can't stealth torp.

Icarus was, in my opinion, the lowest point in the line. It was decent but not as good as others. Its guns are the sames as Acasta's but they seem less effective at T6, and you still only have 4. However 10 torpedoes are very nice, even if they do have a long reload and bad angles. They can be single launched which is one of the main reasons why the RN DD line is my favourite DD line.

Jervis was very nice to play, grinding to Lightning didn't seem like I was grinding. I got many arsonists in Jervis because its guns have very good fire chance. Its guns are also very powerful and there's 6 of them.

Lightning had great guns, and although it only has 8 torpedo tubes, it has better torpedo angles than most RN DD's. Lightning's concealment is also very, very good.

Jutland was my favourite part of the line. Super fast gun reload, with 8% fire chance and DE is great for withering away large ships. However Jutland is when you really need to invest in IFHE. Its gun caliber is too small to do any damage with HE without IFHE, I tried playing without IFHE and I couldn't do much damage. Jutland's AP is also very good, if you land your shots nicely you can take out a broadside enemy DD in about 5-6 salvos. Also with upgrades and camouflages and commander skills, a 5.7 detectability range is nice.

Daring is basically Jutland but with a faster reload on guns and a little worse gun angles. Daring also gets the RN AP of death and the heal which Jutland gets, which is so nice on a DD as RU DD players should know.

My optimal commander build on RN DD's is: Priority target, Last stand, Superintendent (only on T9-10 just to get an extra heal), Demolition expert, Inertia fuse for high explosive, concealment expert. I don't have a 19 point captain for RN DD's yet, highest is 17.

I highly recommend RN DD's, they are my favourite line in the game and I'm a BB main. However your opinion of them might be different because of your playstyle. RN DD's playstyle in my opinion is: stick close to islands barrage enemy ships with a never ending storm of HE rain, hunt DD's down and decimate them with AP, and use your smoke a lot. The main reasons I like RN DD's is because of their single fire torps, their great disengaging smoke, which allows you to almost never get into a tight situation where you wish your smoke was reloaded. However this all might not matter because of the CV rework, but I played a few matches in RN DD's after the rework and I still do okay. However I'm a less than average player so I don't do amazing in them, but I do have a lot of fun which at the end of the day SHOULD be what games are about. This is just my opinion, if you have played them and disagree, I guess they just don't suit your playstlye.

Edited by Iron_Salvo921
  • Cool 2

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
8,117 posts
8,404 battles

The only thing I disagree with is the Acasta/Icarus comparison. I, personally, have those switched, finding Icarus to be a far better ship, for me, anyway.

I didn't play the T2 or T3 ships in the line, so I have no opinion on those.

I found Wakeful to be a ton of fun, kind of like a new Clemson.

Acasta made me want to lose my hair in painful ways. It may have just been I got really poor MM spreads, I don't know, but I hated it.

Icarus wasn't great, but I could make her work with effort.

Jervis was hit or miss for me, but overall I'd agree she's good.

Lightning, while really good, depends too much on the MM spread to be truly effective, I feel.

Jutland is just effing great, chewing up Kita's, 'Gumo's, and anything else it happens to come across.

I haven't played Daring, however, I understand from those that have that it's a slight downgrade from Jutland. I can live with that.

[DENY]
Members
675 posts
7,167 battles

I have a different captain build , take 

Preventive maintenance ,last stand , survivability expert , bft , ifhe and concealment expert , for maximum Daka Daka , plus reload module !

Both my Jutland and daring have 19pts capt with same build , 

Every other DD has to show broadside to use all gun , the rn don't ,

[UTWE]
Members
244 posts
3,367 battles
14 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

The only thing I disagree with is the Acasta/Icarus comparison. I, personally, have those switched, finding Icarus to be a far better ship, for me, anyway.

I didn't play the T2 or T3 ships in the line, so I have no opinion on those.

I found Wakeful to be a ton of fun, kind of like a new Clemson.

Acasta made me want to lose my hair in painful ways. It may have just been I got really poor MM spreads, I don't know, but I hated it.

Icarus wasn't great, but I could make her work with effort.

Jervis was hit or miss for me, but overall I'd agree she's good.

Lightning, while really good, depends too much on the MM spread to be truly effective, I feel.

Jutland is just effing great, chewing up Kita's, 'Gumo's, and anything else it happens to come across.

I haven't played Daring, however, I understand from those that have that it's a slight downgrade from Jutland. I can live with that.

Anyone who says Daring is a downgrade from Jutland is wrong, but Jutland is just so good for a T9 that Daring isn't the extreme upgrade a lot of T10s are from their T9 predecessors. If you like Jutland you'll like Daring because they are very similar.

Edited by Iron_Salvo921

[ARGSY]
Members
139 posts
4,941 battles

Jervis is as good as any ship but it is hard to put even medium damage out with her. Once I buffed her with the Joe Dunkirk captain for EM and  got AFT, she proved to be quite effective. Not a carry ship but my highest win rate came with her. With her acceleration and turn rate she is about as nimble as any ship out there. Just hard for anyone to hit unless caught at close range. 

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
186 posts
7,866 battles

Jervis is as good as any ship but it is hard to put even medium damage out with her.

I disagree. Only a handful of matches in the HMS Jervis, so far I am less than impressed -- and frankly wonder how the British Navy was supposed to have ruled the waves with ships like this floating tird. 

1. Horrible stealth - 7km, no I don't have the concealment skill yet.
  2. Short ranged, slow, easily spotted torps
  3. Slow turret traverse means it cannot dogfight well
  4. Poor maneuvering and wide turns

Seems the only way not to die fast and for no gain is to be a less than fun support DD who hover about the fleet dashing up to spot, and running off to add gunfire support. Not the most fun way to play a DD.

So please correct me -- I want to like every new ship, so what am I missing here??

[WMD]
Members
699 posts
6,717 battles
11 hours ago, EasyEight said:

I disagree. Only a handful of matches in the HMS Jervis, so far I am less than impressed -- and frankly wonder how the British Navy was supposed to have ruled the waves with ships like this floating tird. 

1. Horrible stealth - 7km, no I don't have the concealment skill yet.
  2. Short ranged, slow, easily spotted torps
  3. Slow turret traverse means it cannot dogfight well
  4. Poor maneuvering and wide turns

Seems the only way not to die fast and for no gain is to be a less than fun support DD who hover about the fleet dashing up to spot, and running off to add gunfire support. Not the most fun way to play a DD.

So please correct me -- I want to like every new ship, so what am I missing here??

British DDs need 10 point skippers starting at Jervis. 

Jervis excels at bullying DDs and lighting fires on ships that aren't focusing on you. It's like USN DDs in that the guns are good, but you lack the speed to play like a Russian gun boat. It's best to focus on being between 2-7km away from DDs and about 7-10 away from other ships if shooting.

I also highly recommend learning when to not use single fire torps. I find narrow spread more effective more often, the single fire is best for camping boats, and bow tanking BBs. 

[G_S]
Members
269 posts
On 1/31/2019 at 8:35 PM, Iron_Salvo921 said:

Icarus was, in my opinion, the lowest point in the line. It was decent but not as good as others. Its guns are the sames as Acasta's but they seem less effective at T6, and you still only have 4. However 10 torpedoes are very nice, even if they do have a long reload and bad angles. They can be single launched which is one of the main reasons why the RN DD line is my favourite DD line.

The Icarus is garbage.  It cannot deal damage remotely close to what it takes.  All this talk about adjusting "play style" just means it sucks, which it does.