Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

Playability issues

9 comments in this topic

[G-O-W]
Members
370 posts
12,350 battles

Hi there

Overall I see promise in the CV rework.

However, as a beginner - I find the CVs incredible frustrating to deal with.

1. The planes can only stay in attack 'mode' for a short (unknown) time.
  2. turning radius is critical - but there is no visual indication of the turning radius. Chaining attacks is hard.
  3. No way to control altitude - a wall of AA destroys entire squadrons.
  4. The slightest jitter means the torpedo targeting does not tighten
  5. The targeting circle looks the same for DB and Tiny Tim .. but they seem to be behave differently.

I have been rarely able to land attacks. Maybe if I played more than 6 battles I would feel differently. However this indicates to me, an average player, to not bother trying to play CVs.

[3COWS]
Members
296 posts
Just now, awesomeartichokes said:

Hi there

2. turning radius is critical - but there is no visual indication of the turning radius. Chaining attacks is hard.
  5. The targeting circle looks the same for DB and Tiny Tim .. but they seem to be behave differently.

I have been rarely able to land attacks. Maybe if I played more than 6 battles I would feel differently. However this indicates to me, an average player, to not bother trying to play CVs.

Yeah it is not without issue, check out how I decide to handle the various mechanics and see if there is anything you can take from it 

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,472 posts
21,307 battles

I've never played CVs much until this new update , just keep practicing . I started yesterday and today I'm playing the Japanese tier (6) in random no kills but enough hits for damage to satisfy me that I'm helping the team for the Win.   

• Cool 1

[TORAS]
Members
125 posts
1,466 battles
21 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Yeah it is not without issue, check out how I decide to handle the various mechanics and see if there is anything you can take from it 

Ok, I have to admit... watching you play with your dive bombers while blasting some Star Wars OST in the back ground is pretty damned epic. I wish I could get into the CV play-style as much as you could; I'd be using similar jams.

[TORAS]
Members
125 posts
1,466 battles
4 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I've never played CVs much until this new update , just keep practicing . I started yesterday and today I'm playing the Japanese tier (6) in random no kills but enough hits for damage to satisfy me that I'm helping the team for the Win.   

Sometimes I think just having the new CV players get used to controls and just... spot, helps.

I do believe we played a few games ago and you're spotting is what helped me push the Dun-Kek out of that central cap. Being a good team mate benefits everyone; even if you're still learning your role.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,972 posts
10,955 battles
32 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Hi there

1. There's a counter on the right side of the display, giving a countdown in seconds. You're better off picking a distance to start an attack than worrying about the time.

2. The basics are, line up outside AA range and begin the attack, make one pass and get out of the AA as soon as possible, turn around and rinse and repeat. Don't be afraid to make a pass, look at what's left of your aircraft and hit the "F" key and return them to ship. You're better off giving up strikes that probably won't live to land hits and turn the aircraft around quicker than to lose a bunch of planes and be stuck waiting for a useful strike to load on your deck.

3. Careful timing of starting your attack and flying over islands is about all you have.

4. You're starting your attack too close, start it further out and give it some more time to tighten.

5. There's 3 kinds of aircraft, with 3 mechanics:

"Attack Aircraft" or Rocket Planes, get the targeting circle ahead of a DD, attack, lead a fast moving DD by a small amount, fire and you've got a good chance of hitting. They are a good utility weapon for a CV.

Torpedo Bombers, line up way out, start you're run outside AA, If you're like me, you have to lead a target by an uncomfortable amount. They are you're go to damage dealer.

Dive bombers, I wouldn't worry about them much until you get Attack Aircraft and Torpedo Bombers down, they're difficult to use, are very frustrating, and on a good day no more effective than a torpedo.

[3COWS]
Members
296 posts
8 minutes ago, Nurhaal said:

Ok, I have to admit... watching you play with your dive bombers while blasting some Star Wars OST in the back ground is pretty damned epic. I wish I could get into the CV play-style as much as you could; I'd be using similar jams.

Thanks bud :) 

Yeah I am having a lot of fun with them, so that would have been my 10th game with the Ranger, sorry if I gave any impression it was the first time out. 

[G-O-W]
Members
370 posts
12,350 battles
25 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Thanks bud :) 

Yeah I am having a lot of fun with them, so that would have been my 10th game with the Ranger, sorry if I gave any impression it was the first time out. 

I wish I could say the same. I am just trying to make it work in Co-op. The controls are sloppy. Once again there is no good explanation from WG on how to play the CVs.

I am getting few hits (against bots!). Last game I hit friendlies more than I hit enemies. I rather not go pink trying to get CVs to work.

I will wait for the improvements in game play before spending any significant time on CVs

Edited by awesomeartichokes

[3COWS]
Members
296 posts
Just now, awesomeartichokes said:

I wish I could say the same. I am just trying to make it work in Co-op. The controls are sloppy. Once again there is no good explanation from WG on how to play the CVs.

I am getting few hits (against bots!). Last game I hit friendlies more than I hit enemies. I rather not go pink trying to get CVs to work.

I will wait for the improvements in game play before spending any significant time on CVs

The torpedo bombers definitely need some love but the rockets and dive bombers work well for me at least 

Sign in to follow this