You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madwolf05

Why do DDs...

29 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

Sail so far up ahead of the fleet during the initial battle? They're just begging to get nuked by the CV every single time. I realize they did this prior to the CV rework, but you would think by day 2 it would stop a little bit. 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,481 posts
21,338 battles

Never really played the old version of CVs but enjoying the new update and learning  to play the new 8.0 update on CVs second day and already know that to kill DDs use your fighter with the rockets they will slowly melt them away

[PNG]
Members
4,565 posts
11,981 battles

Its the mind set that dds must cap or else. Seen it in a few other threads others picking at my dd battles having no ribbons for capping. I would rather skip the caps and flank the enemy when a window opens up to it later in the battle. Yesterday I took my Tashkent around the enemy and sank one of their carriers.

[H-WS]
Members
344 posts
5,504 battles

It’s because for years DDs were always yelled at and reported for not capping.

Edited by Horama
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
8,209 posts
Just now, donaldEpott said:

Its the mind set that dds must cap or else. Seen it in a few other threads others picking at my dd battles having no ribbons for capping. I would rather skip the caps and flank the enemy when a window opens up to it later in the battle. Yesterday I took my Tashkent around the enemy and sank one of their carriers.

Several famous generals in history did just that. If the enemy was entrenched in a town that didn't have much strategic value, they just bypassed the town and left the enemy garrisoned there doing nothing. Caps win games but only if you can take and hold them. If it's too difficult to take and hold the caps then prevent the enemy from doing likewise and you are on even footing.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,702 posts

What do DDs do.

- Cap Control

- Spotting

- Hunt other DDs

If they stay with the fleet they can do none of this. There is no reason for them to be in the match. 

• Cool 4

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles
46 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Sail so far up ahead of the fleet during the initial battle? They're just begging to get nuked by the CV every single time. I realize they did this prior to the CV rework, but you would think by day 2 it would stop a little bit. 

They are clearly playing to the old meta where they were cloaking ninjas that could spam torps/HE, farm damage on defenseless BBs and rack up EXP. Now? Watching a number of replays, seems CVs have FINALLY, FINALLY ****** learned  - like everyone has been crying for since BETA  - to focus down the DDs first and get rid of them.

The only ray of sunshine in this massive CV megabuff.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
27 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Several famous generals in history did just that. If the enemy was entrenched in a town that didn't have much strategic value, they just bypassed the town and left the enemy garrisoned there doing nothing. Caps win games but only if you can take and hold them. If it's too difficult to take and hold the caps then prevent the enemy from doing likewise and you are on even footing.

Island-hopping in the Pacific...

[PSP]
Members
8,209 posts
4 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Island-hopping in the Pacific...

Exactly. Unless they had an airbase just leave a unit of Japanese soldiers garrisoned on a small island because they weren't going to do much overall harm there. When you solidified your hold on the area then go back and take care of them. Or, just wait until the war was over and send a Japanese general to inform them of that.

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles

There is going to be a period of learning. It isnt going to be cleared up in a couple of days

[INTEL]
Members
10,055 posts
28,229 battles
16 hours ago, Horama said:

It’s because for years DDs were always yelled at and reported for not capping.

BINGO.

And TKed

• Funny 1

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,655 battles
47 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

What do DDs do.

- Cap Control

- Spotting

- Hunt other DDs

If they stay with the fleet they can do none of this. There is no reason for them to be in the match. 

This ^   and may I add....Duh

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
974 posts
8,514 battles
57 minutes ago, donaldEpott said:

No, it's the mindset that everyone else expects them to go out there to spot and screen. They were the ones that were expected to go in first and make a play. When they didn't they got all kinds of hate for not doing what everyone else on the team couldn't or wouldn't do.

[EGO]
Members
3,594 posts
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

Honestly why are they even playing DDs? Play something else or go play in Ranked if you only play DDs.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,657 posts
11,722 battles

To be honest I'm not sure what to do in a DD early game with a carrier.

Spot? The carrier's overflown me at 150kt and more than taken care of that.

Try to position? I'm falling back almost before I've moved up to try and hug a cruiser who's not coordinating with me and has suddenly U-turned.

Try to cap? The carriers are having a fight on 'our' side of it...

It's not much fun.

[WOLF7]
Members
864 posts
3,808 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

What do DDs do.

- Cap Control

- Spotting

- Hunt other DDs

This was the absolute correct answer until yesterday.  Now CVs do those things including hunt DDs and do it better with less risk than DDs ever did and there is no need or reason to have DDs in the game any longer.  

Players that main DDs (which I am) will either stop playing completely or attempt to git gud at other classes of ships.  It just doesnt make sense to take one into battle at this point.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,222 battles

The reason they do this is because they misclicked and need to get back to port quicker to grab that CL.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,633 posts
14,889 battles

I must have some kind of invisibility shield.  Play BBs..CAs..and DDs.  Plenty of CVs...and very few pick on me. 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,702 posts
11 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

This was the absolute correct answer until yesterday.  Now CVs do those things including hunt DDs and do it better with less risk than DDs ever did and there is no need or reason to have DDs in the game any longer.  

Players that main DDs (which I am) will either stop playing completely or attempt to git gud at other classes of ships.  It just doesnt make sense to take one into battle at this point.

I agree. I do not like playing battleships, too ponderous. I am not very good at cruisers, but I had better become so or learn to fly planes, because DDs don't have a role in the game any longer outside ranked

Members
2,082 posts
3,892 battles

To be fair,  the meta did just shift.  Not as much as people think,  the thing is that people are playing more CV's right now so there are more in matches,  so the sighting counter to DD's is now an actual thing and not an occasional inconvenience.  

Give it time.  The new car smell will wear off and people will shift back to what they prefer and the numbers will go down.  I don't think it will go back to being as rare as before the patch,  but there won't be two or three CV's in every match before.

[PNG]
Members
4,565 posts
11,981 battles
15 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

The challenge of playing one and that is why I play them.

[WOLF7]
Members
864 posts
3,808 battles
2 minutes ago, donaldEpott said:

The challenge of playing one and that is why I play them.

mas·och·ist /noun

* a person who derives sexual gratification from their own pain or humiliation.

* (in general use) a person who enjoys an activity that appears to be painful or tedious.

:cap_like:more power to you brother, good luck and give 'em hell

[LUCK]
Members
1,690 posts
23,370 battles
28 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I agree. I do not like playing battleships, too ponderous. I am not very good at cruisers, but I had better become so or learn to fly planes, because DDs don't have a role in the game any longer outside ranked

Might i suggest Massachusetts for you. It is a flat out blast. No worries, generally, about those CVs. With a 19pt captain you essentially can hunt DDs with the secondaries, quite effectively. Blap cruisers regularly. Fear no BB (have to be careful around those T10s as they outrange you). Good times.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,702 posts
33 minutes ago, Palladia said:

To be fair,  the meta did just shift.  Not as much as people think,  the thing is that people are playing more CV's right now so there are more in matches,  so the sighting counter to DD's is now an actual thing and not an occasional inconvenience.  

Give it time.  The new car smell will wear off and people will shift back to what they prefer and the numbers will go down.  I don't think it will go back to being as rare as before the patch,  but there won't be two or three CV's in every match before.

8.1 - British CVs

8.2 - Premium CVs

So we will see if the numbers go down after the next 3 months or so, but it will be up there until the end of spring

[NMKJT]
Members
3,702 posts
12 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Might i suggest Massachusetts for you. It is a flat out blast. No worries, generally, about those CVs. With a 19pt captain you essentially can hunt DDs with the secondaries, quite effectively. Blap cruisers regularly. Fear no BB (have to be careful around those T10s as they outrange you). Good times.

I'll give it a shot. I have a Mass in my port gift of Santa; think I have only knocked a snowflake off. Will try - it's the only battleship I have been on which has nothing to do with the game. 

• Cool 1