Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Archimiedes

CVs need more work

11 comments in this topic

[SUNK]
[SUNK]
Members
43 posts
6,951 battles

Unlike a few other people on the forum I've seen so far, I'm enjoying the new CV gameplay...sort of...ok not really. I will say that I like the new controls. Being able to control a squadron and conduct attack runs is fun and much more interesting than previous CV gameplay. But that's where the good things end, from here its down hill. For starters, I wish that the controls where a little bit more free. Instead of only being able to control the planes left and right, I'd like to also be able to control the pitch of the planes. Something akin to the mouse controls of games like World of Warplanes or War Thunder (yes I said the word, you can kill me later) would be really cool to have for cv gameplay. That way theres a bit more margin for error when beginning an attack run, as you'd have more control on where you drop your ordinance rather than controlling it on one axis only. Second, CVs need to pack more of a punch. I recently played a game in the Ranger where I spent about half of the game trying to kill one Queen Elizebeth. I scored 5 bomb, 3 torp, and 15 rocket hits for about 45K damage, plus another 5 fires for 7K damage. Yet...the damn thing wouldn't die, which cost me the match. CV's can not carry teams, let alone get kills. I've only killed about 10 ships with the new CVs, all of which I had to kill steal because planes do so little damage. Rockets, while fired in large volleys, have basically no chance of fire. Bombs have a ridiculous chance of setting fires, yet so little actually land on target that this fact is basically negated. And torps, what the hell happened to the chance of flooding? I've had matches where I scored 10 torp hits yet only one flood. Plus they do pitiful damage compared to surface ships, they don't have the rate and saturation of fire. Sure the ranger's torps have about the same max damage as one AP shell from a Baltimore, but since you can only drop two torps at a time compared to a Baltimore's 9 shells, the torps will do significantly less damage. And thats not even taking into account A. the time it takes to swing your planes around for another run vs. the reload time of artillery, B. if the torps score a high or low damage roll, C. the torpedo damage reduction of anything other than a DD, and D. if your planes live long enough to make another run or be shot down by AA. Also, I think part of the problem with low damage turn outs, and this is pure speculation just fyi, but I think theres a bug with the damage control for bots in coop. I've noticed that they seem to be able to put out fires really quickly even after I set one less than 30 seconds ago. Third, AA is scary. The rework to the AA mechanic is interesting, like being able to focus AA power on one side of your ship to increase its affivness. However, there is a problem with this. Say two ships are sailing more or less down the middle of the map side by side, and the ship to port has its AA focus to port  while the ship to starboard has its AA focused on its side. Affectively, they have become a no fly zone, completely immune to planes. Not sure how you overlooked that in testing but ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt WG. Although, I have to ask, what in the name of all that is holly happened to balance? I was in a match in my Ranger and I sent some bombers after an Akizuki with an AA rating of 46. The entire squadron was wiped out before I could start an attack run...by one Akizuki. Um, what? An entire squad of planes wiped out in less than 5 seconds, not exaggerating, by one Japanese DD. I'm sorry, I must have missed the memo that hell has frozen over. Not to mention, I was in a match in my Akizuki and I couldn't shoot down one catapult fighter for more than 3 minuets. Did you guys do something to the bot AI in coop? They seem considerably stronger now, like 'I'm losing matches more than usual' stronger. Anyway, I digress, if an Akizuki can destroy an entire squad no problem, just imagine what would happen if I sent them against, oh I don't know, ANYTHING OTHER THAN A DD? Lastly, this is more of a nitpick but I thought I should bring mention to this, did you hire caption obvious to make your UI. I can tell when my planes are being fired at by AA, I don't need an icon telling me that. Perhaps that icon can go off when I'm attacking a ship that has its AA focused to one side and Im in that zone, but I don't need be told that I'm being fired at when i can see the tracers and explosions around my planes, it's redundant. Next thing I know I need to be told that the sky is blue, human nature is strange, and EA is an evil company. To sum up this borderline essay of a feedback review, I think you're on the right track for fun CV gameplay, but I can't help but feel that it's more in of a beta state than fit for actual release. Its a start, but damn you need to buff CVs. I'm actually glad I used my free xp from the Hiryu to get the Fredric instead of the Shokaku.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,699 posts
17,279 battles

Holy wall of text Batman.  +1 for effort though

Beta Testers
6 posts
1,129 battles

Oh its not worth playing cvs anymore which may be what EA wait sorry War Gaming  was going for,  just playing coop  and at the moment even with a prem cv and a prem account i cant make a positive credit game 40 - 50k losses every round . As i don't do enough damage to off set the 75k loss every game for "service". Im guessing its so they can force cv players to buy economic signal flags.

• Cool 3

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,466 posts
21,277 battles

Give war gamming time . once they start getting the new data in by all of us playing the cv I'm almost sure there will being adjustments here and there regarding the carriers 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,511 posts
13,786 battles

In response to the title, which I read, WG knows it still needs work.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SUNK]
[SUNK]
Members
43 posts
6,951 battles

In hindsight perhaps I did write a bit much... but then again I was having a rough night in coop (no explanation needed as to why) and was also getting friendly with a bottle of Sailor Jerry. However, I still stand by my massive wall of text. I don't know why WG thought this was ready for release, stuff like the inability to kill a BB and bad economic gain is something that should have been ironed out in early testing. I know WG will correct this issue, but releasing a patch in this state is almost like something out of EA's playbook (plus it doesn't exactly help WG that they introduced loot boxes last year). 

Members
2,855 posts
5,901 battles
19 hours ago, Archimiedes said:

Unlike a few other people on the forum I've seen so far, I'm enjoying the new CV gameplay...sort of...ok not really. I will say that I like the new controls. Being able to control a squadron and conduct attack runs is fun and much more interesting than previous CV gameplay. But that's where the good things end, from here its down hill. For starters, I wish that the controls where a little bit more free. Instead of only being able to control the planes left and right, I'd like to also be able to control the pitch of the planes. Something akin to the mouse controls of games like World of Warplanes or War Thunder (yes I said the word, you can kill me later) would be really cool to have for cv gameplay. That way theres a bit more margin for error when beginning an attack run, as you'd have more control on where you drop your ordinance rather than controlling it on one axis only. Second, CVs need to pack more of a punch. I recently played a game in the Ranger where I spent about half of the game trying to kill one Queen Elizebeth. I scored 5 bomb, 3 torp, and 15 rocket hits for about 45K damage, plus another 5 fires for 7K damage. Yet...the damn thing wouldn't die, which cost me the match. CV's can not carry teams, let alone get kills. I've only killed about 10 ships with the new CVs, all of which I had to kill steal because planes do so little damage. Rockets, while fired in large volleys, have basically no chance of fire. Bombs have a ridiculous chance of setting fires, yet so little actually land on target that this fact is basically negated. And torps, what the hell happened to the chance of flooding? I've had matches where I scored 10 torp hits yet only one flood. Plus they do pitiful damage compared to surface ships, they don't have the rate and saturation of fire. Sure the ranger's torps have about the same max damage as one AP shell from a Baltimore, but since you can only drop two torps at a time compared to a Baltimore's 9 shells, the torps will do significantly less damage. And thats not even taking into account A. the time it takes to swing your planes around for another run vs. the reload time of artillery, B. if the torps score a high or low damage roll, C. the torpedo damage reduction of anything other than a DD, and D. if your planes live long enough to make another run or be shot down by AA. Also, I think part of the problem with low damage turn outs, and this is pure speculation just fyi, but I think theres a bug with the damage control for bots in coop. I've noticed that they seem to be able to put out fires really quickly even after I set one less than 30 seconds ago. Third, AA is scary. The rework to the AA mechanic is interesting, like being able to focus AA power on one side of your ship to increase its affivness. However, there is a problem with this. Say two ships are sailing more or less down the middle of the map side by side, and the ship to port has its AA focus to port  while the ship to starboard has its AA focused on its side. Affectively, they have become a no fly zone, completely immune to planes. Not sure how you overlooked that in testing but ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt WG. Although, I have to ask, what in the name of all that is holly happened to balance? I was in a match in my Ranger and I sent some bombers after an Akizuki with an AA rating of 46. The entire squadron was wiped out before I could start an attack run...by one Akizuki. Um, what? An entire squad of planes wiped out in less than 5 seconds, not exaggerating, by one Japanese DD. I'm sorry, I must have missed the memo that hell has frozen over. Not to mention, I was in a match in my Akizuki and I couldn't shoot down one catapult fighter for more than 3 minuets. Did you guys do something to the bot AI in coop? They seem considerably stronger now, like 'I'm losing matches more than usual' stronger. Anyway, I digress, if an Akizuki can destroy an entire squad no problem, just imagine what would happen if I sent them against, oh I don't know, ANYTHING OTHER THAN A DD? Lastly, this is more of a nitpick but I thought I should bring mention to this, did you hire caption obvious to make your UI. I can tell when my planes are being fired at by AA, I don't need an icon telling me that. Perhaps that icon can go off when I'm attacking a ship that has its AA focused to one side and Im in that zone, but I don't need be told that I'm being fired at when i can see the tracers and explosions around my planes, it's redundant. Next thing I know I need to be told that the sky is blue, human nature is strange, and EA is an evil company. To sum up this borderline essay of a feedback review, I think you're on the right track for fun CV gameplay, but I can't help but feel that it's more in of a beta state than fit for actual release. Its a start, but damn you need to buff CVs. I'm actually glad I used my free xp from the Hiryu to get the Fredric instead of the Shokaku.

You need a lesson on how to construct paragraphs buddy...Focus on the ideas you have and slim them down to a paragraph of that subject. You could probably say the same thing in  1/2 or more of the text you wrote.  The more you simplify and focus on the subject will make you a more effective writer to convey your ideas.   The way you wrote this is more akin to a interview via video form. Which comes to mind..why not make a video and post on YouTube and link to here.   

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
96 posts
1,910 battles

Jesus Christ on the cross,  was this your first time using a keyboard?

But anyway.  Yeah, the CV rework is sloppy and unfinished.  It's 10 times worse than the old carriers.  Looks pretty and probably has potential, but right now it's almost unplayable and is not even remotely fun

Edited by Professor_Jumbo

Sign in to follow this